PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need a new computer

frauschieze
09-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Alright you gurus out there. I need your help. My laptop has some sorta problem with the motherboard (so far as I can tell) and I'm blowing through power cords like a mofo. I've decided it's time to move on and pass this mother down to my daughter.

I'm just not sure exactly what I should get. I love having a laptop, but I'll never get another 17 in monstrosity again. I never take it anywhere because it's too big and heavy. I'd like to have one so I could take it to school and for the portability (so I can watch games on TV and still be online). But it's not a necessity.

I don't do any real gaming right now, and likely won't in the future, although I really want to play Diablo III when it comes out. So that is a consideration, but not a deal breaker. Mostly, I use my computer for web stuff, Office type applications, music, and playing stupid Flash games that suck away my time. I do the occasional photo and video editing, randomish programming and database stuff but mostly that is school related and this laptop can handle any of that should it be a problem. For that matter, this machine can handle Diablo III.....I hadn't thought of that....

My biggest concerns are money and reliability. I really don't like screwing around with my machine and I'm way to impulsive to computer shop much on my own. I just buy stuff. I'd like to get a cheap of a machine as possible, in all reality, probably less than $500.

Do any of you have any recommendations? Are netbooks worthwhile for my uses? Should I just get a cheapy desktop unit? I need something that will last at least two years, preferably more.

NightTrainLayne
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
If you want to do anything besides internet access/email then don't do the netbook.

I would recommend the HP G60 line. Around $500 (a little over unless you find a sale). Plenty of memory and power that will fit in your budget.

topscribe
09-04-2009, 09:41 PM
You can have my calculator I got a few years ago for subscribing to Newsweek magazine . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

CrazyHorse
09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
IBM Thinkpad. It has the TrackPoint which is way easier to use than a touchpad.
Unless you use a mouse of course.

CrazyHorse
09-04-2009, 09:44 PM
You can have my calculator I got a few years ago for subscribing to Newsweek magazine . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

If it's a TI-89 I'll take it.

Tned
09-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Labor Day Deals

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/deals/

Tned
09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I would second the Thinkpad, but they are typically more expensive, since they are business units.

I have owned both Dells and Lenovos and Toshibas and HP's. I would rank them in this order.

Lenovo (clear favorite)
Dell/Toshiba (varies by model)
HP

My current work computer is a Dell, and I hate it. The laptop I am typing on and what I recently bought my wife, is a Lenovo Y510 (got her a Y530).

Lenovo US (ThinkPad) - Lenovo G550 Laptop eCoupon! 15.6" WXGA LED Backlight TFT, 2GHz Intel Dual Core, 4GB of Memory, 320GB Hard Drive and 6 Cell Battery for Only $479 with FREE Shipping!

List of all of the discounts, including a 15.6" Dell Vostro A860 laptop with Core 2 Duo processor for $399: DELL LABOR DAY SALE

$529 after $293 instant discount: 15.4" Dell Vostro 1520 laptop with Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR2, 250GB HD and more. DELL VOSTRO 1520 LAPTOP DEAL

Here is a review for the Lenovo. I am not familiar with the G series, but so far the Lenovo's I have owned (one Thinkpad and two low cost Y models) have been great.

On Lenovo's site, they also have 10-15% off on various models. You can get a Y450 for about $530 with the USPLABORDAY coupon.

NameUsedBefore
09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
www.ecollegepc.com

Reidman
09-04-2009, 11:49 PM
All my comps are Dells but they are overpriced for what you get. If I had known anything about computers before I purchased I would have built my own. NETbooks are cool for their size but the screens can be difficult to see especially if this is going to be your daily comp...

I can't really advise you on what brand to get but I can say I specifically loaded all my machines with XP and couldn't be happier. My parents just bought a laptop with Vista and it's my first real trip around the block with that OS and I am SOOO glad I got XP instead. The unnecessary popups and amount of memory it consumes is disastrous...just my 2 cents...

Day1BroncoFan
09-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I have had several laptops. I sell and repair laptops for a living.

I recommend Toshiba's to my customers. As far as which model to get is particular to what you want to do. You won't get much of a gaming computer for $500 but you will be able to do the rest of what you want to do.

I would suggest you think about getting the extended warranty with it if you plan on carrying it around with you. If you are going to leave it in one place get a desktop, you'll get a better computer for the same price.

Check this out for $500 units. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032%204020&name=%24400%20-%20%24500)

Requiem / The Dagda
09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I think Lenovo does some great stuff with portability and versatility. They have some great deals going on now as well. Lenovo is what cool people use.

Thnikkaman
09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Toshibas are good. I like Dells since I used to do phone support for them, but to me Lenovo is Ace. I have a Thinkpad t60p. Their support has always been good.

Now that being said. Be sure to either get an insurance plan on the laptop or buy the extended "Accidental Damage" warranty. I have seen way too many people get burned for not having this or getting fooled that their warranty covers accidental damage (i.e. me and my wife when we bought an HP through Comp USA).

Rick
09-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Toshibas are good. I like Dells since I used to do phone support for them,

You lived in India?

Rick
09-08-2009, 05:47 PM
If I ever have the cash...doubtfull...I plan on trying out an alienware system.

frauschieze
09-08-2009, 05:49 PM
So after thinking about this for a while, I bought yet another power cord for my current laptop and I'm going to tether it to my desk. Hopefully with less use, the power cord will last longer.

So if I wanted to get a laptop for heavy duty web surfing and occasionally using Office programs and the like, am I okay to get one of the dirt cheap machines? Like Lenovo's S series, which they call netbooks/mini-laptops. I'll be in school for another 3 years, so I'd want it to last that long (hello warranty), but I expect to replace it right after I graduate.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I'm so retarded when it comes to electronics purchases.

frauschieze
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
If I ever have the cash...doubtfull...I plan on trying out an alienware system.

I always thought Alienware was more of just paying for a brand/image than actually superior system.

But obviously I know nothing about this subject! :lol:

Tned
09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
So after thinking about this for a while, I bought yet another power cord for my current laptop and I'm going to tether it to my desk. Hopefully with less use, the power cord will last longer.

So if I wanted to get a laptop for heavy duty web surfing and occasionally using Office programs and the like, am I okay to get one of the dirt cheap machines? Like Lenovo's S series, which they call netbooks/mini-laptops. I'll be in school for another 3 years, so I'd want it to last that long (hello warranty), but I expect to replace it right after I graduate.

Thanks everybody for all your help. I'm so retarded when it comes to electronics purchases.

Netbooks aren't bad, but they typically have small screens/keyboards. The newest generation (Dell mini-10v, MSI Wind and others) are better, but they are definately more limited that a regular laptop. Personally, I think a netbook would be great for websurfing and some office use, but you have to be sure you will like the small screen/keyboard.

Tned
09-08-2009, 05:58 PM
P.S. One thing about the netbook, and goes with the warranty poing that Thnik mentioned.

You can get a very nice netbook for $299-$349, which isn't a whole lot more than you pay for an extended warranty on a more expensive laptop. You can almost look at netbooks as 'disposable'. Rather than buying a $600 laptop today with an extended warranty that might push it to $750 or more, you can buy 2+ netbooks for the price of one stardarnd laptop + accidental damage/extended warranty coverage.

Day1BroncoFan
09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Netbooks have small keyboards. Unless you need to have a small footprint I would get a separate keyboard, mouse and monitor if I had the space.

I am using a laptop and have those connected separately. Of course that adds a lot to the price if you don't already have them sitting around. If you have good eyes you could get by with just the keyboard and mouse.

You may want to consider what the upgrade path is you will follow over the next three years. Netbooks don't offer much in the way of upgradability. If you need to upgrade the software and such it may or may not work for you.

Does the school you're attending have any specific requirements you need for the computer you end up with? If so just make sure it can do that.

frauschieze
09-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I plan on using this purchase as a laptop. It'll be rare that I'm ever using it in a situation where I'd be able to hook a regular sized keyboard, etc to it. I have my current 17" monstrosity of a laptop for anything that wouldn't be easy to do on a smaller machine.

I don't understand what you mean about upgrades. I know that things like Firefox and Office will have upgrades but would any of that really have an impact on what the netbook is able to handle?

There is no school requirement.

Day1BroncoFan
09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
What I mean is mostly software. Some schools require you to have certain versions of software on your ocmputer for compability reasons.

The worst that would happen is it would make your computer run a little slower. They may have some requirements to connect to their network.

Since you say there are no requiremenst then you shouldn't worry. I just don't want you to buy something that won't work for you is all. A lot of my customers have kids that are in colleges and they have to meet certain mimimums. You may not be subjected to that.

Where are you going to school? Is it on line?

BroncoJoe
09-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I plan on using this purchase as a laptop. It'll be rare that I'm ever using it in a situation where I'd be able to hook a regular sized keyboard, etc to it. I have my current 17" monstrosity of a laptop for anything that wouldn't be easy to do on a smaller machine.

I don't understand what you mean about upgrades. I know that things like Firefox and Office will have upgrades but would any of that really have an impact on what the netbook is able to handle?

He's primarily talking about hardware upgrades - memory, etc.

Netbooks, if you can get used to the screen size, are actually pretty good deals. I'm not sure why they're still called "netbooks", because they're now designed to do more than surf the web and check email. The newer ones have up to 2GB of memory and a descent hard drive size. What they lack is multiple USB ports and stuff like that.

Day1BroncoFan
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
He's primarily talking about hardware upgrades - memory, etc.

Netbooks, if you can get used to the screen size, are actually pretty good deals. I'm not sure why they're still called "netbooks", because they're now designed to do more than surf the web and check email. The newer ones have up to 2GB of memory and a descent hard drive size. What they lack is multiple USB ports and stuff like that.

netbooks don't do hardware upgrades much at all. Maybe memory or HDD would be it.

Tned
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM

They come with XP, so if you have programs that require Vista, or possibly Windows 7, it could be a problem down the road. Some more intense programs like photoshop, 'might' have problems in a netbook.

I have a netbook on my nightstand, and for webrowsing (most times when I am on after 10:00 central, I am on the netbook), I am on my MSI Wind. I have office loaded on it (office 2007), IE8 and Firefox, and FTP program, my slingbox program, so I can control/watch the TV in my office.

One way to think about a netbook, is that performance wise, they are like the laptops from three or four years ago, but with better battery life. They typically come with one gig of ram (most are upgradeable to 2gig, but MS doesn't let them ship with 2gig IIRC).

If you can live with the size of the keyboard and screen size, and will mostly web/email/minimal word processing, I think they are fine. However, there are some pretty big variances among netbooks. For instance, nearly a year ago, when the Lenovo S series was introduced, it was lauded as one of the best, now it is considered an aged design and the Dell Mini-10v (I think that's the model) and some others offer more features for the same money and overall size.

frauschieze
09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
What I mean is mostly software. Some schools require you to have certain versions of software on your ocmputer for compability reasons.

The worst that would happen is it would make your computer run a little slower. They may have some requirements to connect to their network.

Since you say there are no requiremenst then you shouldn't worry. I just don't want you to buy something that won't work for you is all. A lot of my customers have kids that are in colleges and they have to meet certain mimimums. You may not be subjected to that.

Where are you going to school? Is it on line?

I go to the University of Montana. They don't require any computer purchase at all; it's just more convenient than spending time in a computer lab. Most of my classes utilize Blackboard extensively, but that is all web based.

Also, I hate Vista and am doing everything in my power to stay with XP. I'm going to wait and see on Windows 7.

gnomeflinger
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
I also prefer Intel over AMD.

Day1BroncoFan
09-08-2009, 07:12 PM
My advise to would be to not go with the netbook if it's your main computer. That's what I thought your original plan was.

You can ask yourself a few questions to give you more of an idea.

What applications will you run on it and what are the requirements for thos apps.

Can you get by using those applicaitons for the next three years?

Can you live with a small keyboard and monitor for the next three years (go to a store and look at the selection to get an idea for the size)?

Do you use a number pad (if yes you can add one via USB)?

There are many variables. Computers technology changes very fast. It is better to buy more than you need than less.

Let us say the while the netbook will probably do what you want it to do, the question is will you be happy with it or will it be a three year pain in the butt.

EDIT:

I thought I would add that I've been using the same laptop for about 5 years now but I have upgraded the HDD and the memory to the max amount so who knows. I could never use the small keyboard that the netbooks come with.

Tned
09-08-2009, 07:36 PM
My advise to would be to not go with the netbook if it's your main computer. That's what I thought your original plan was.

You can ask yourself a few questions to give you more of an idea.

What applications will you run on it and what are the requirements for thos apps.

Can you get by using those applicaitons for the next three years?

Can you live with a small keyboard and monitor for the next three years (go to a store and look at the selection to get an idea for the size)?

Do you use a number pad (if yes you can add one via USB)?

There are many variables. Computers technology changes very fast. It is better to buy more than you need than less.

Let us say the while the netbook will probably do what you want it to do, the question is will you be happy with it or will it be a three year pain in the butt.

EDIT:

I thought I would add that I've been using the same laptop for about 5 years now but I have upgraded the HDD and the memory to the max amount so who knows. I could never use the small keyboard that the netbooks come with.

One counter argument, and I used to be in the overbuy category. Technology changes so fast, that you can typically underbuy (which is still WAY more than you need) and replace, cheaper than overbuying.

An example being you can buy budge laptops now for $400-600 or really nice laptop for $1200-1800. Unless you really need the features on the expensive laptop, you are far better off buying the $500 laptop now, knowing that in 12 months, they will be selling the equivalent of that $1200 laptop for $500, as the next best and greatest comes out.

I have an $1800 Dell for work (XPS 1330m) and I have a $500 Lenovo Y510 at home and an MSI Wind netbook at home. I never take the XPS out of the bag at home, unless I need to do some work thing that is only on the laptop, because the keyboard isn't as good as the cheap lenovo, the power is about the same, etc. The one advantage that XPS has is it is much lighter when travelling. Both me and I guy I work with who have XPS's have said that next go around, we will likely go to netbooks as our 'travel' computer, because all we do is mail/web/word processing/etc.

Now, I am not sure I would want a netbook for my main computer, only because of screen size, but since I have used a 13" screen for long periods of time, dropping to a 10" screen isn't that bad.

It all comes down to what you are going to do with it. Netbook is better than budget laptops to carry to school, take notes, etc. Something Lenovo 15" Y530 or something on special for $500-600, is much better for all the time home use.

For the record, unless the technology massively changes, I don't ever see myself buying a 17" laptop again. 15" or smaller.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
The S series are tits laptops. They can do more than just internet. Go for it babe.

Day1BroncoFan
09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
We're talking the difference between being able to do what she needs versus not being able to.

$300 vs $500 computers. The laptop I have right now originaly went for $1300. That is the only reason I'm still able to use it.

I'm not advising her to spend $1300 on a computer. I just think she'll be happier with the $500 as a main computer.

No reason to get a Porshe when Cobalt will work but...

frauschieze
09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I want to make sure you guys realize that my laptop I've got now is still more than enough computing power for everything that I need. It was $1800 new 2 years ago. I just have issues with charging which is a complaint with this model (Dell Inspiron E1705). Because of this (and the fact that it's ginormous and not at all fun to lug around), it'll be in my best interest to leave this laptop stationary.

But I like using my laptop on my couch and in the kitchen, and it'd sure be nice if I could take the next one to the school. So, I'll still be using this one, for gaming, photoshop, stuff that takes a lot of computing power. But the new one would probably be used 2 out of every 3 times, or more.

I'm going to have to look at some of the netbooks; see if I could handle the small keyboards.

Tned
09-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I want to make sure you guys realize that my laptop I've got now is still more than enough computing power for everything that I need. It was $1800 new 2 years ago. I just have issues with charging which is a complaint with this model (Dell Inspiron E1705). Because of this (and the fact that it's ginormous and not at all fun to lug around), it'll be in my best interest to leave this laptop stationary.

But I like using my laptop on my couch and in the kitchen, and it'd sure be nice if I could take the next one to the school. So, I'll still be using this one, for gaming, photoshop, stuff that takes a lot of computing power. But the new one would probably be used 2 out of every 3 times, or more.

I'm going to have to look at some of the netbooks; see if I could handle the small keyboards.

That's the key, can you live with the small keyboard/screen. Not sure if I would like it all the time, I use it a couple hours a day. For the couch, around the house, I think 15.4" is great, but typically the low cost !5" laptops are on the heavy side. If you use a wheeled bag for school or backpack, it won't be bad.

Laptops, especially on a budget, or often weight vs. feature tradeoffs.

MasterShake
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I'll probably get blasted for saying this, but get a used macbook pro. I have a 12" powerbook from 2001 that still works beautifully, and my new 15" has an Intel and runs PC programs with no problem at all with conversion software (which is free.) Aside from replacing a battery a couple of times, I've never had problems with the damn things. I have a PC Desktop, but my line of work requires me to have a Mac Laptop because the design software runs smoother on it. I never thought I'd like Macs, but after working with them the last decade or so changed my mind. I only really use my PC for gaming now. Just my two cents.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Apple? Blasphemy. Hehe.

MasterShake
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Apple? Blasphemy. Hehe.

I know, I know. I used to be like that, but damned if the things hardly ever give me headaches. I have this thing called a Time Capsule that not only is a wireless router for my entire home network and Xbox Live, it has 1 Terabyte of storage and backs up everything every 3 hours just by being on. I...I...I really like it! :lol:

Thnikkaman
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
You lived in India?

Dells business support didn't go to India while I was working for them.

I used to work for a company called ClientLogic, that looks like its now called Sitel. I started off doing phone support for Micron computers back in 2000, and when Micron went bankrupt, they switched me over to Dells.

Thnikkaman
09-08-2009, 10:31 PM
If you are going to continue to do some development in VB in some of your classes, a Mac is a big no-no.

Also, their advertising is fraudulent. "I just want a computer that doesn't give me any problems". That is bullshit. The first time I was on a mac I was able to bring OS X to its knees without trying. Boot Camp is cool, and the Operating system is decent. But here is the reality:

Macs don't get viruses because their market share is small
Macs are great for graphical design, as a development computer, its hit and miss and horrible for gaming
Macs are still personal computers. The whole PC vs Mac thing is marketing. A Mac is a pc with a different operating system.
That being said, Macs still lock up, have hardware problems, and can break. Justin Long's smug little face telling you that it doesn't is just bullshit. Same thing with drivers and peripherals. That isn't a problem with pcs.

If you want an over priced piece of hardware just so you can have OS X, I'm not going to stop you. You can get something that looks and feels like OS X with Kubuntu. Which is free.

/rant

The Mac operating system is a beautiful thing. I'll never use it until I can get it stand alone so I can decide the hardware I want to run it on.

Tned
09-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Apple? Blasphemy. Hehe.

Gotta be a graphic guy. Only graphics guys and teenage girls are Macheads..

Thnikkaman
09-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Gotta be a graphic guy. Only graphics guys and teenage girls are Macheads..

And hipsters. You don't want to be a hipster.

Rick
09-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Dells India support is just awful, I don't even know why they bother.

I don't call support anymore unless its a warrently thing as I re3ally don't need them anymore but when I got my first computer there was a handful of times I called.

In the times I called only 2 times did tech support actually help me. One time...the person lived in Texas...and the lady was very helpful. Other time guy lived in Canada...and was very helpful.

All other times have been India and while trying to figure how the hell I was to explain this to them so they could even understand what I was saying to them I figured it out on my own.

BigDaddyBronco
09-09-2009, 09:10 AM
If you are going to continue to do some development in VB in some of your classes, a Mac is a big no-no.

Also, their advertising is fraudulent. "I just want a computer that doesn't give me any problems". That is bullshit. The first time I was on a mac I was able to bring OS X to its knees without trying. Boot Camp is cool, and the Operating system is decent. But here is the reality:

Macs don't get viruses because their market share is small
Macs are great for graphical design, as a development computer, its hit and miss and horrible for gaming
Macs are still personal computers. The whole PC vs Mac thing is marketing. A Mac is a pc with a different operating system.
That being said, Macs still lock up, have hardware problems, and can break. Justin Long's smug little face telling you that it doesn't is just bullshit. Same thing with drivers and peripherals. That isn't a problem with pcs.

If you want an over priced piece of hardware just so you can have OS X, I'm not going to stop you. You can get something that looks and feels like OS X with Kubuntu. Which is free.

/rant

The Mac operating system is a beautiful thing. I'll never use it until I can get it stand alone so I can decide the hardware I want to run it on.

That and you can't buy any software for Macs. I have used PC's exclusively since engineering school as all the engineering software is designed for PC's. I don't even really like Ipods anymore.

MasterShake
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Fine!! I'll just take my overpriced piece of junk to the hipster table!

Day1BroncoFan
09-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Fine!! I'll just take my overpriced piece of junk to the hipster table!

You could use it for an anchor but it's probably to light.

MasterShake
09-09-2009, 10:49 AM
You could use it for an anchor but it's probably to light.

I can't hear you. I'm playing mozart through Itunes and editing a silent film in Final Cut Pro. And yes, I'm wearing a black turtleneck!

Day1BroncoFan
09-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I can't hear you. I'm playing mozart through Itunes and editing a silent film in Final Cut Pro. And yes, I'm wearing a black turtleneck!

So you have partaken in the forbidden fruit. :eek:

Alas, but thou art to far gone. :laugh:

The only thing that can save you is to dump the apple and get a real PC. :lol:

Thnikkaman
09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Now shake, you have said that the software you need requires a Mac, and that you have a PC for gaming. I will give that a pass.

Fairy.

MasterShake
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Now shake, you have said that the software you need requires a Mac, and that you have a PC for gaming. I will give that a pass.

Fairy.

Thanks, you silly goose!

I must admit, nothing compares to a PC for gaming.

Reidman
09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
If I could have afforded an Apple when I was looking at comps I would have gone that route in a heartbeat! Apple is far > than PC....alas PC's are affordable..

Thnikkaman
09-09-2009, 12:55 PM
If I could have afforded an Apple when I was looking at comps I would have gone that route in a heartbeat! Apple is far > than PC....alas PC's are affordable..

I want to hear your argument as to why Apple > than a PC.

Apple = PC with OS X.

I can see you argue that OS X is better than Windows. The one thing Windows has over OS X is a greater range of hardware support. I admittedly like the User Interface of OS X. The thing is that Steve Jobs doesn't want to take over the PC marketshare. Apple makes too much money on marking up hardware to sell their OS attached to it.

MasterShake
09-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I want to hear your argument as to why Apple > than a PC.

Apple = PC with OS X.

I can see you argue that OS X is better than Windows. The one thing Windows has over OS X is a greater range of hardware support. I admittedly like the User Interface of OS X. The thing is that Steve Jobs doesn't want to take over the PC marketshare. Apple makes too much money on marking up hardware to sell their OS attached to it.

I can only go by my own personal experience, but the hardware failure rate on my macs is way less than my PC's. Like I said, I have an old Powerbook 12" from 2002 that all I've had to replace on it is a battery. The only reason I bought a new one is I wanted a newer Intel based mac with faster processors to handle my CS4 and Video Editing applications ( I usually have 3 open at a time). So, I bought a Mac in 2002 that still works and one in 2007 that handles all my needs perfectly.

In that same time frame (2002-Present) I've had two PC's completely break down on me and one where the hard drive stopped working after 2 years. Granted, I usually tried to keep my PC's on the low end initially and upgrade the hardware myself so that may lead to the quality issues, but that failure rate sucks. Thats 2 PC's I've had to part out and 1 that I had to get fixed. I bet I've spent close to $4500 in the past 7 years on 3 PC's (two of which are completely useless) and about $2700 on my two laptops ($1000 for the PowerBook and $1700 for the MacBook Pro both of which I still use).

Don't get me wrong, I think its a personal choice and PC's are great for a lot of things. Personally, I'd rather pay the mark up and get something a little more durable over the long run. PC's are fun in the fact that you can upgrade the hell out of them, and they are relatively inexpensive to fix. Macs on the other hand are pretty reliable overall, but lack a lot of 3rd party functionality or upgradeability.

I will never really get into the stereotype of Mac Guy vs PC Guy because it all comes down to what you need it for. Like you said, a Mac is just a PC with the Mac OS. I'm just starting to really crack the OS for mac with Terminal, and I think its great. I do agree that many people buy macs just because and don't really use them.

It all comes down to who's wallet you want to pad- Gates or Jobs!

Requiem / The Dagda
09-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I know, I know. I used to be like that, but damned if the things hardly ever give me headaches. I have this thing called a Time Capsule that not only is a wireless router for my entire home network and Xbox Live, it has 1 Terabyte of storage and backs up everything every 3 hours just by being on. I...I...I really like it! :lol:

I worked for Apple for about two months before re-signing for health reasons (the kidney thing, needed to finish up treatment and wanted to be home) and wasn't impressed with them at all. (Especially on how they do certain things from a business perspective.) I do enjoy their products, I like the user interface and think they do some great things, but I'm probably going to be a PC guy all the way due to affordability and some of the things Thnikka touched on.

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new computer sometime soon, I'm going to wait until Windows 7 probably launches (even though the free upgrades are available) or something cool is done making netbook battery life better than the 3-4 hour averages I'm seeing.

I'd get a MBP in a second if they weren't 1,100 even with a student discount. I have the money to get one, but when I can get a laptop that is just as good and have about 500 dollars to spend after that -- why not? :D

Timmy!
09-13-2009, 03:25 AM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/370286/424748.jpg

frauschieze
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
So it only took me five months, but I finally made my next computer purchase:

http://www.bestlaptopssale.com/images/product/acer-aspire-as1410-8414.jpg

Specs:

General
Brand Acer
Series Aspire
Model AS1410-2497
Part# LX.SA902.006
Color Sapphire Blue

Operating System
OS Provided Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor
CPU Type Intel Celeron M
CPU Speed 743(1.30GHz)
CPU FSB 800MHz
CPU L2 Cache 1MB

Display
Screen Size 11.6"
Widescreen Display Yes
Max Resolution 1366 x 768
Display Feature LED backlight & Acer CineCrystal Technology

Graphics
Graphics Processor Intel GMA 4500M
Video Memory Shared system memory

Memory
Memory Slots 2 x 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM
Memory Speed DDR2 667
Memory 2GB
Max Memory Supported 4GB
Memory Spec 1GB x 2

Hard Drive
HDD 250GB
Hard Drive RPM 5400 RPM
Hard Drive Interface SATA

Dimension & Weight
Dimension 11.20" x 8.00" x 0.90" - 1.20"
Weight 3.10 lbs.

Netbook Camera
Camera Type Acer Crystal Eye webcam

Communications
LAN 10/100/1000Mbps
WLAN 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN

Expansion / Connectivity
USB 3
Video Ports 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI
Audio Ports 1 x Headphone/Speaker/Line-Out Jack
1 x Microphone-in Jack

Audio
Audio High-Definition Audio Support
Dolby Sound Room audio enhancement, featuring Dolby Headphone,
Dolby Natural Bass and Dolby Sound Space Expander
Speaker Built-in stereo speakers

Input Device
Touchpad Multi-gesture touchpad supporting circular-motion scrolling,
pinch-action zoom, page flip
Keyboard 84-key full-size Acer FineTip keyboard, inverted T cursor layout,
embedded numeric keypad, hotkey controls, international language support

Card Reader
Card Reader Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
Secure Digital (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick, (MS),
Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card (xD)

Battery
Battery 6-cell Li-ion Battery (4400 mAh)
Battery Life Up to 6 hours

Manufacturer Warranty
Labor 1 year limited
Parts 1 year limited

What sold me on this machine was weight (just over 3 lbs), functionality, price ($420) and the overwhelmingly good reviews. For the money, I think it'll work fantastically. Can't wait to get it! Should be here by Friday.

Edit: I should mention this is classified as an ultralightweight laptop, not a netbook.

Jaws
01-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Nice screen size. My brother's lappy has an 11.6 inch screen, which is much more comfortable on the eye than the 10.1 some netbooks offer.
In fact, I think his purchase is exactly the same model as your. He's had it a few months and is really happy with it.

I like the colour too. Now all you need to do is add some orange to make it a true Broncos product! :D

Rick
01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I am kinda leaning towards buying one of each of this http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668385.php for wife and I.

Affordable price and decent machine.

frauschieze
01-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Nice screen size. My brother's lappy has an 11.6 inch screen, which is much more comfortable on the eye than the 10.1 some netbooks offer.
In fact, I think his purchase is exactly the same model as your. He's had it a few months and is really happy with it.

I like the colour too. Now all you need to do is add some orange to make it a true Broncos product! :D

Awesome! I'm pretty sure that this size will work out great. Glad to hear someone else likes it too.

And I see great minds think alike, as I definitely had Broncos blue in mind when I chose the color!

Day1BroncoFan
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM
My old laptop just died last Monday. I decided I wanted to get something that would last me for the six or more years like the last one did. I would still be using the old one had it not gotten wet and died. I always get the fastest, biggest, mostest I can manage to get the money together to get because I know I'll be stuck with it until it dies of old age or, from a natural disaster like the last one. So far, so good. I am in the process of nuking the hard drive and installing all the stuff I actually use right now as I'm typing this. The only bad thing about it is the size and weight. Since I use it 95% of the time as a desktop I can deal with it. It weighs in at at almost 10lbs. and has a 18.4" screen.

Here is what I ended up with. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114797&cm_re=qosmio-_-34-114-797-_-Product)