PDA

View Full Version : Broncos running pistol in 2013?

aulaza
05-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Saw this article, was intrigued. Is there a reason why we would possibly run this? Obviously there wouldn't be the read option element there. Maybe just for play action, or more effective runs?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1648390-is-the-pistol-formation-coming-to-denver-broncos-offense

Simple Jaded
05-23-2013, 12:59 AM
Take the ******* snap from C you chicken shit morons. Next thing ya know NFL QB's will be getting audibles from the sideline.

Lancane
05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm not all that surprised, FFQB Brock Osweiler and his backup, Zac Dysert have both drawn Ben Roethlisberger comparisons, despite what the article said, the Pittsburgh Steelers utilize the Pistol as their base offense and have won two Championships with it. I love how the article points to Nevada's Coach and his Quarterback for reinvigorating the Pistol, but it has been around a lot longer then that and despite being a spread option offense it has found some success at the NFL level, more then the read, but the two offenses are different and I love how the article ties them together despite that fact.

MOtorboat
05-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Take the ******* snap from C you chicken shit morons. Next thing ya know NFL QB's will be getting audibles from the sideline.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

So...you know that one of the reasons for Peyton's hurry up is because the OC and HC can talk to him up until 15 seconds on the play clock, right?

I have no problem with a formation, because formation rarely matters.

Chef Zambini
05-23-2013, 11:54 AM
personel groups matter, and the formations help them achieve thier favorable match-ups.

Rick
05-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Seems like something worth testing personally.

Our passing attack was a little stalled at times last year when we used "standard" offences.

Our running game was not as effective when using it from the shotgun.

Maybe the pistol is a good compromise? Give the running backs downfield running and still give Manning space?

Simple Jaded
05-25-2013, 01:58 AM
Pointless. It doesn't help the running game and giving Manning the pisstol is like giving training wheels to Travis Pastrana. Plus Manning spends half the clock or more at the line regardless, in the pisstol the RB has an even harder time trying to hear whatever Manning is saying.

Rick
05-25-2013, 08:39 AM
The articles that I have read all indicate that running from the pistol is much easier than from the shotgun.

We shall see though, highly possible it is just something they practiced and won't be used much.

MOtorboat
05-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Pointless. It doesn't help the running game and giving Manning the pisstol is like giving training wheels to Travis Pastrana. Plus Manning spends half the clock or more at the line regardless, in the pisstol the RB has an even harder time trying to hear whatever Manning is saying.

Basically all of this is incorrect.

Simple Jaded
05-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Basically all of this is incorrect.

It's pointless, it doesn't help the running game and Manning doesn't need it and the RB is further from Manning while he's calling audibles and such at the line.......basically all correct.

MOtorboat
05-26-2013, 11:09 PM
It's pointless, it doesn't help the running game and Manning doesn't need it and the RB is further from Manning while he's calling audibles and such at the line.......basically all correct.

Please explain, in detail, how it does not help the running game.

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/more-on-the-pistol-offense

So, basically, all incorrect.

Simple Jaded
05-26-2013, 11:50 PM
I have yet to read any article that says the pistol makes a running game better, it's so completely counterintuitive that it boggles the mind. Might as well run from punt formation and really amp up that ground and pound.

Simple Jaded
05-26-2013, 11:56 PM
That article seems to be about how the pistol makes the spread better, not the running game.

Btw, the spread sucks, running from the spread sucks, thus the pistol sucks. All correct.

MOtorboat
05-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Good answers!

MOtorboat
05-27-2013, 12:07 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129531/article/chris-ault-slow-quarterbacks-can-find-success-in-pistol

Those pesky kids!

Simple Jaded
05-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Good answers!

I don't have the acumen to articulate why, never said I did.

I barely remember Tony Dorsett, but what I do remember is how far he set up from the LOS, there is a reason 99.99% of coaches prefer their RB's to line up closer to the LOS.......whatever reason they have THAT'S why it doesn't make the running game better.

It makes to spread better, BFD, that's like putting fabreez on a pile of shit.

Simple Jaded
05-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Denver's "Pro Bowl" LG can barely hold a double team block from a pro set.

MOtorboat
05-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I don't have the acumen to articulate why, never said I did.

I barely remember Tony Dorsett, but what I do remember is how far he set up from the LOS, there is a reason 99.99% of coaches prefer their RB's to line up closer to the LOS.......whatever reason they have THAT'S why it doesn't make the running game better.

It makes to spread better, BFD, that's like putting fabreez on a pile of shit.

Interesting. I've never heard anyone say that.

Chef Zambini
05-27-2013, 02:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000129531/article/chris-ault-slow-quarterbacks-can-find-success-in-pistol

Those pesky kids!excellent article Mo, good find !
deception, an atribute of the PISTOL !
its no wonder why shanny has embraced it !
also...
sounds like a smaller back, like hillman, lost from the view of the LB can really flourish as well !

Chef Zambini
05-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Interesting. I've never heard anyone say that.

"fabreeze on a pile of shit"
I like it !

Simple Jaded
05-27-2013, 05:27 PM
excellent article Mo, good find !
deception, an atribute of the PISTOL !
its no wonder why shanny has embraced it !
also...
sounds like a smaller back, like hillman, lost from the view of the LB can really flourish as well !

How bout Trindon Holliday at RB? Nothing says power running game like a 155 lb back and a gimmick set with Zane Beadles/JD Walton, no FB and one TE.

Chef Zambini
05-27-2013, 06:10 PM
How bout Trindon Holliday at RB? Nothing says power running game like a 155 lb back and a gimmick set with Zane Beadles/JD Walton, no FB and one TE.I am done doubting holiday.