PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Cut List -- Only post confirmed roster moves

Tned
09-04-2009, 03:55 PM
UPDATED:
Le Kevin Smith was left off last update. The Broncos are now at 54 men including Marshall, so will have to release one more player when activating Marshall.

Only post confirmed player cuts.

Broncos need to cut 23 players total (with Brandon Marshall returning to the roster)
Update: The number is 24 because Holiday signed as expected.

Players cut to date (Updated 8:31 PM CDT - deadline 5:00 CDT):

1 C Cory Lichtensteiger
2. DT Carlton Powell
3. OL Matt McChesney - reserve/injured
4. OL Clint Oldenburg
5. DE Matthias Askew
6. RB Marcus Thomas
7. LB Lee Robinson
8. QB Ingle Martin
9. DL Everette Pedescleaux (now confirmed - agent says hoping for PS)
10. CB Joshua Bell (Reported, not confirmed - injury settlment)
11. DB Rashod Moulton
12. WR Nate Swift
13. CB Tony Carter (expected to land on practice squad)
14. RB Darius Walker
15. G Mitch Ericson (told he might be added to practice squad)
16. LB Tim Crowder
17. WR Matthew Willis
18. DE Nic Clemons
19. TE Marquez Branson
20. LB Braxton Kelley
21. DB Vernon Fox,
22. DB D.J. Johnson
23. DB Antwain Spann

53 Man Roster:

OL: Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Seth Olsen, Russ Hochstein, Tyler Polumbus, Brandon Gorin.

QB: Kyle Orton, Chris Simms, Tom Brandstater.

WR: Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Jabar Gaffney, Kenny McKinley, Brandon Lloyd, Chad Jackson.

TE: Daniel Graham, Tony Scheffler, Richard Quinn.

RB: Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, LaMont Jordan and Peyton Hillis.

DL: Ronald Fields, Chris Baker, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean, Marcus Thomas, DE Vonnie Holliday, Le Kevin Smith.

OLB: Elvis Dumervil, Mario Haggan, Darrell Reid, Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss

ILB: DJ Williams, Andra Davis, Wesley Woodyard, Spencer Larsen.

CB: Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Jack Williams, Alphonso Smith.

S: Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Darcel McBath, Josh Barrett, David Bruton.

K: Matt Prater
P: Brett Kern
LS: Lonie Paxton

underrated29
09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Since we are doing it like this. Maybe tned you can keep it up to date and add how many are left to get the axe. It hink that would be cool.

In order to keep this thread clean and free this message will self destruct in 4 minutes........................................... .........................

Tned
09-04-2009, 03:59 PM
How about we do this. Discussion is fine, but only put in confirmed cuts, not speculation, and I will keep updating the first post in this thread as the cuts come in.

underrated29
09-04-2009, 04:05 PM
How about we do this. Discussion is fine, but only put in confirmed cuts, not speculation, and I will keep updating the first post in this thread as the cuts come in.

Sounds good!

Since we are doing it like this. Maybe tned you can keep it up to date and add how many are left to get the axe. It hink that would be cool.

In order to keep this thread clean and free this message will self destruct in 4 minutes........................................... .........................

Tned has diffused the message.

LRtagger
09-04-2009, 04:11 PM
So with Pringle getting cut I guess they are pretty confident that Orton, Simms, or both will be ready to go next weekend.

LTC Pain
09-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Not disappointed but I thought Lichtensteiger might be the heir apparent at center after Weigman retired?

Foochacho
09-04-2009, 04:14 PM
yea licht is a little dissapointing. We need some young talent being developed.

Ravage!!!
09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm disappointed Powell didn't make it further. I thought he would have been pretty decent, but then... that was bfore switching to the 34.

Dortoh
09-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Carlton will get picked up I'd bet Claymores paycheck on it.

muse
09-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm disappointed Powell didn't make it further. I thought he would have been pretty decent, but then... that was bfore switching to the 34.

He's still PS eligible, I would've thought he'd be at least worth that.

Tned
09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Frank Schwab of the Colorado Springs Gazette is reporting:

@fs3142 DL Everette Pedescleaux will also be cut, but could come back to the practice squad. CB Joshua Bell (knee) could be headed to inj settlement

Grover
09-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Hours after closing out the preseason with a 19-0 victory over the Cardinals, the Broncos announced the release of nine players on Friday.

On the offensive side, Ingle Martin, Kory Lichtensteiger, Clint Oldenburg, Nate Swift, and Marcus Thomas were released. Leaving the defense are Matthias Askew, Rashod Moulton, Carlton Powell and Lee Robinson. In a separate move, Matt McChesney was placed on the reserve/injured list.
The team has until midday Saturday to submit its final list of 53 players for the regular season opener at Cincinnati on Sept. 13.

– Chris Gentilviso, DenverBroncos.com
Names in red are new.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-release-nine-players/

frauschieze
09-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Updated the first post.

Dortoh
09-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Anyone else think Swift might be a PS guy?

Ray Finkle
09-04-2009, 05:39 PM

yes, I think if given time, he could be a useful player.

dogfish
09-04-2009, 05:40 PM

probably. . .

lee robinson and pedescleaux might be also. . .

broncofaninfla
09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Nate Swift showed some good speed, just didn't see enough of him.

Lonestar
09-04-2009, 09:31 PM
By Zach Eisendrath
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On Friday, the Broncos made several moves to begin trimming their roster down to the NFL-mandated size of 53 players. One day after closing out its preseason slate with a 19-0 victory over the Arizona Cardinals, the team waived nine players and placed Matt McChesney on the reserve/injured list. Like the rest of their NFL counterparts, the Broncos must cut their roster down to that regular season limit by Saturday afternoon.

The nine players waived were Matthias Askew, Kory Lichtensteiger, Ingle Martin, Rashod Moulton, Clint Oldenburg, Carlton Powell, Lee Robinson, Nate Swift and running back Marcus Thomas.

Of the nine players, six are in at least their second year in the league. Many were with the Broncos last season, including Askew, who spent the final eight weeks of the 2008 season on the team's practice squad. Lichtensteiger saw time on special teams and appeared in all 16 games for the club as a rookie in 2008, while Powell, a fifth round draft choice by Denver in 2008, spent his first year at the professional ranks on Denver's physically unable to perform list.

In total, the team parted ways with two undrafted free agent rookies on Friday -- Robinson and Swift. Both players joined the Broncos as college free agents on Apr. 27th, and both spent the past few months -- through organized team activities and training camp -- learning the ropes of the NFL game.

Taking to the field for his first NFL preseason, Swift totaled two receptions for 15 yards. The former Nebraska Cornhusker also saw time on special teams, returning four punts for 28 yards and one kickoff for 14 yards. Appearing in all four of the team's exhibition contests, Robinson racked up five tackles during the preseason slate, including two solo tackles against the Cardinals on Thursday night at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

Brought in last week to add depth at quarterback due to injuries to Kyle Orton and Chris Simms, Martin was waived one day after taking snaps behind center in the team's preseason finale. Acting as the club's signal caller during the fourth quarter of play against Arizona, Martin completed 3 of 5 attempts for 19 yards.

The Broncos must trim their roster down by 12 players by tomorrow afternoon. After players clear waivers on Saturday, the team can begin to build a practice squad of up to eight players.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9314

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:23 AM
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/05/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/05/2009 01:45:59 AM MDT

The Broncos got a head start on their roster cuts Friday by releasing 10 players and moving another to the injured reserve list.

Among the cuts were two players from their 2008 draft: center Kory Lichtensteiger, a fourth-round pick; and defensive tackle Carlton Powell, a fifth-rounder.

The Broncos' active roster now stands at 64 players, with star receiver Brandon Marshall on the reserve-suspended list. The team will need to cut 12 more players from the active list by 2 p.m. today and make an additional move by Sunday, when Marshall's suspension is scheduled to end.

Other players released Friday were defensive end Matthias Askew, quarterback Ingle Martin, cornerback Rashod Moulton, offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg (a Colorado State graduate), linebacker Lee Robinson, wide receiver Nate Swift, running back Marcus Thomas and cornerback Joshua Bell (waived/injured), who had surgery to repair his meniscus this week after injuring his knee in the game against Chicago.

The team put offensive lineman Matt McChesney, who played at the University of Colorado, on the injured reserve list while the two sides work out an injury settlement. McChesney did not play Thursday night against Arizona because of a sprained ankle.

Lichtensteiger was the backup center in 2008 and played in a jumbo goal-line package and on special teams. He fell down the depth chart throughout this preseason after the team drafted guard Seth Olsen and traded for utility interior lineman Russ Hochstein. Olsen could replace starting guard Ben Hamilton if Hamilton is moved to center.

Powell will leave Denver having never played in a regular-season game. He missed all of his rookie year after injuring his Achilles tendon before training camp. He put on more than 10 pounds to try to better fit into the new 3-4 scheme at nose tackle.

Among the more interesting decisions the team will have to make today will be at outside linebacker, where the Broncos' top two draft picks from 2007, Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, are on the bubble. Moss had a stellar game against Arizona but had been buried on the depth chart at the position.

The team also will have to decide how many running backs to keep. With Know- shon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and Peyton Hillis assured spots, either LaMont Jordan or Darius Walker could be in danger. Jordan had only one carry against the Cardinals, while Walker played most of the game and was the preseason rushing leader.

"This is always the hardest time, because a lot of guys who have been here, rookies and vets, guys that you get along with, when you come here for the next team meeting getting ready for the season opener, there's a lot of guys not there, so that's the toughest thing," Jordan said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13274026?source=rss

Tned
09-05-2009, 10:50 AM
They are starting to roll in again with the deadline only a few hours away. It's sad for the players, especially young ones who might only get this one shot, to see them cut.

@JosinaAnderson Agent: Tells me CB Tony Carter cut but expected to go to practice squad, DT Marcus Thomas safe and on roster.

Tned
09-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Pedescleaux release now confirmed.

@JosinaAnderson Agent confirms Broncos DT Everette Pedescleaux cut, shooting for practice squad.

Buff
09-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Darius Walker dumped in Denver
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 5, 2009 12:24 PM ET
PFT head honcho Mike Florio has informed us that running back Darius Walker has been by the Broncos.

Looks like Jordan is safe

Tned
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM
A reminder that all of these confirmed cuts are being tracked in the first post of this thread (on page 1). As we have confirmed cuts posted in here, that first post is being updated to make it easier to see who has been cut to date.

Looks like Jordan is safe

On the one hand I am surprised, because in the games Walker has probably outplayed Jordan. On the other hand, it isn't much of a shocker, as Jordan is a vet and played in NE and knows the system, so it isn't surprising McDaniels decided to go with him (that's assuming they aren't both cut, but that seems unlikely).

Fan in Exile
09-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Shameless request from someone who can't count, could you number the cuts so we've got a countdown?

Tned
09-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Yes, I will number them now, but I am not 100% sure of how many were needed.

Also, this isn't a cut, but it will mean one more player will have to be cut.

Providing he passes his physical today, veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday will be added to the Denver Broncos’ roster.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/05/broncos-expect-to-add-vonnie-holliday/

Italianmobstr7
09-05-2009, 11:50 AM
sucks that Jordan is on the team instead of Walker. Jordan looked like trash throughout pre-season. He ran soft, and looked old. Such a disappointment.

Fan in Exile
09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Yes, I will number them now, but I am not 100% sure of how many were needed.

Also, this isn't a cut, but it will mean one more player will have to be cut.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/05/broncos-expect-to-add-vonnie-holliday/

That would make 24 by the time Marshall makes it back on the squad.

Tned
09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
The deadline for cuts is 5:00 CDT.

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 12:01 PM
A reminder that all of these confirmed cuts are being tracked in the first post of this thread (on page 1). As we have confirmed cuts posted in here, that first post is being updated to make it easier to see who has been cut to date.

On the one hand I am surprised, because in the games Walker has probably outplayed Jordan. On the other hand, it isn't much of a shocker, as Jordan is a vet and played in NE and knows the system, so it isn't surprising McDaniels decided to go with him (that's assuming they aren't both cut, but that seems unlikely).

This is actually the first one that I am surprised at. I did think that Walker outplayed Jordan, but Jordan got a ton of reps at camp.

Tned thanks for putting possible PS I never remember who can and who can't be on there....

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
For some reason I thought I read the deadline was noon ET.
So this later time. Makes more sense as it is 6PM ET.

Tned
09-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I thought it was noon as well, but Mortenson just reported 6:00 PM, I haven't independently confirmed.

PN, I am making practice squad notes, if it is reported they are, or likely, going to the PS. I haven't personally checked their eligibility.

Tned
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
DP reports:

The Broncos released offensive guard Mitch Ericson this morning but also told him he’s a candidate for a second season on their eight-man practice squad.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/05/ericson-released-could-return/

Day1BroncoFan
09-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Jordan looked bad. How can they cut Walker and keep Jordan? Maybe there's something I don't know about Jordan that gets him in and Walker out.

Hmm...

Mike
09-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Jordan looked bad. How can they cut Walker and keep Jordan? Maybe there's something I don't know about Jordan that gets him in and Walker out.

Hmm...

I agree. If Jordan makes the team...:tsk:

Tned
09-05-2009, 12:28 PM

Hmm...

He knows the system and the coach knows him. A lot of coaches like veterans, feeling they can rely on them moer than young players. Add to that the fact he played in NE for McDaniels and it isn't too surprising, even though I was hoping they went with Walker over Jordan.

Tned
09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Could be a surprise coming.

@JosinaAnderson Uh oh shocking news just in..hold up a sec

Tned
09-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Crowder cut.

Tned
09-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Josiana Reporting:

I have just been informed that defensive end/outside linebacker Tim Crowder has been cut.

Crowder was the Broncos 2nd round draft pick in 2007 as well.

Crowder just text me, 'It's all good, I need a dresh start.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Broncos-Tim-Crowder-Cut-Sources-Jarvis-Moss-Safe/BLOG/643550/96399.html?widgetId=216686

Ray Finkle
09-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Could be a surprise coming.

@JosinaAnderson Uh oh shocking news just in..hold up a sec

the surprise is that Josina detached herself from Marshall's bean bag long enough to type a semi-coherent thought....

Day1BroncoFan
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
He knows the system and the coach knows him. A lot of coaches like veterans, feeling they can rely on them moer than young players. Add to that the fact he played in NE for McDaniels and it isn't too surprising, even though I was hoping they went with Walker over Jordan.

All this time I thought it would be more important to have an RB on the team that can actually run the ball. Silly me. :rolleyes:

Tned
09-05-2009, 12:57 PM
All this time I thought it would be more important to have an RB on the team that can actually run the ball. Silly me. :rolleyes:

:lol: I know, me too. I didn't see enough about Walker, maybe he has blocking issues or other problems where Jordan is more stable.

Day1BroncoFan
09-05-2009, 01:00 PM
:lol: I know, me too. I didn't see enough about Walker, maybe he has blocking issues or other problems where Jordan is more stable.

I didn't see that much of either one burt what I did see Walker ran better but you maybe right. I guess running isn't the only thing an RB has to do. Maybe he can't catch or his blocking isn't that great. I did notice that Walker got pretty tired out in the later part of the third quarter and became less effective.

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 01:18 PM
I didn't see that much of either one burt what I did see Walker ran better but you maybe right. I guess running isn't the only thing an RB has to do. Maybe he can't catch or his blocking isn't that great. I did notice that Walker got pretty tired out in the later part of the third quarter and became less effective.

I noticed that too and thought about that after they announced his cut. They seem to really like Jordan in the red zone plays, that's were he got a lot of reps. You know deep down I hope that this really isn't a issue and Moreno and Hillis are just that dominate, with some Buck thrown in every once in awhile.

I really hate this day, I hope it's over soon.

lol about Josina, I thought I was the only one that thought that way....

Buff
09-05-2009, 01:18 PM
the surprise is that Josina detached herself from Marshall's bean bag long enough to type a semi-coherent thought....

A-freaking-men brother. Josina sucks. Have you heard her on the fan? She's crazy.

Her "shocking news" was that Darius Walker got cut? psshh

Tned
09-05-2009, 01:20 PM
A-freaking-men brother. Josina sucks. Have you heard her on the fan? She's crazy.

Crowder, not Walker.

Tned
09-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Frank Schwab reporting:

@fs3142 WR Matthew Willis and CB Tony Carter among today's cuts, also. Both good candidates for practice squad.

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 01:22 PM

No Crowder....:tsk:...would she know a story if it was in front of her?

Ray Finkle
09-05-2009, 01:24 PM

never heard her speak but she is clearly not a journalist. Journalist know how to write the English language. She does not, I feel while she does get some scoops, she throws crap at the wall and sees what sticks.

underrated29
09-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I am not happy about crowder. Like i said i would be. He is going to land somewhere and tear it up. He has shown lots and lots of skill.

Buff
09-05-2009, 01:29 PM
denverbroncosDefensive end Nic Clemons has been told he has been released.

I thought he might make the rotation because of his size.

Tned
09-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Denver Post Reports:

@denverbroncos Defensive end Nic Clemons has been told he has been released.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 01:38 PM
sucks that Jordan is on the team instead of Walker. Jordan looked like trash throughout pre-season. He ran soft, and looked old. Such a disappointment.

Hmm...

I suspect that walker looked good because he was running against 3-4 team opponents for the most part.. seemed like he was doing good but the coaching staff (TURNER) knows RB so I'll allow them to make the tough decisions..

Day1BroncoFan
09-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I suspect that walker looked good because he was running against 3-4 team opponents for the most part.. seemed like he was doing good but the coaching staff (TURNER) knows RB so I'll allow them to make the tough decisions..

I'm sure thay have a better eye for players than I do. Walker was tearing it up in the first half agaist the starters until he tired out IIRC.

dogfish
09-05-2009, 01:46 PM
so if crowder got the axe, is moss going to make it?

Tned
09-05-2009, 01:47 PM

That seems to be the leading theory.

Ray Finkle
09-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I am not happy about crowder. Like i said i would be. He is going to land somewhere and tear it up. He has shown lots and lots of skill.

that is the probably, he has shown zero skills....

on a team desperate for DE's last year, he didn't see the field.

on a team desperate for OLB's this year, he didn't see the field...

wish him well but he will be lucky to be in the league in 4 years.

Grover
09-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm guessing Nic Clemons was cut in order to make space for Vonnie Holiday

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 01:56 PM

That seems to be the leading theory.

do not hope this is the case moss has shown me nothing except this last game.. and if the threat of extinction is the only motivation he has the coach needs to threaten him before each game.. play like the PHX game your your going to be left in CIN..:laugh:

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 01:58 PM
that is the probably, he has shown zero skills....

on a team desperate for DE's last year, he didn't see the field.

on a team desperate for OLB's this year, he didn't see the field...

wish him well but he will be lucky to be in the league in 4 years.

I believe he did not see the field last year because he was in mikes dog house..

he played well as a rookie then last year was de activated for most of the games, then played pretty good this year and had a lot of folks excited about him.. it had to be the dog house..IMHO

honz
09-05-2009, 02:02 PM
LOL at the outcry over Walker being cut. Him and Jordan are both a dime a dozen backs. Jordan is a vet, knows the system, and is likely the better blocker out of the two...just a guess since he is a vet. Walker ran well when he had a hole opened up for him. So do all NFL running backs.

Tned
09-05-2009, 02:07 PM
do not hope this is the case moss has shown me nothing except this last game.. and if the threat of extinction is the only motivation he has the coach needs to threaten him before each game.. play like the PHX game your your going to be left in CIN..:laugh:

Yea, two keys to success:

When playing at home, trot out a life size mannequin of Cutler for the crowd to go wild.

Tell Moss his roster spot is on the line every game.

Do that, and we can't lose. :lol:

Seriously, I 'hope' that what we saw on Thursday is a peek at what we could see if Moss gets comfortable at OLB and some of that 'potential' starts to surface. I think he has enough upside, that I hope he does make the roster for one more chance to see what he can do.

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM

When playing at home, trot out a life size mannequin of Cutler for the crowd to go wild.

Seriously, I 'hope' that what we saw on Thursday is a peek at what we could see if Moss gets comfortable at OLB and some of that 'potential' starts to surface. I think he has enough upside, that I hope he does make the roster for one more chance to see what he can do.

Tned you are a genius, send this to the front office right now. Maybe they can bring out a giant cut out Cutler and make it like that baseball movie where every time they won they got to take a piece of clothes off, but in Cutlers case you get to put on a piece of baby clothes on. Oh and tell Moss that if doesn't play like the AZ game pack his bags they Crowder on speed dial...:D

Seriously, dang do I have to... I hope Jarvis is on track and can florish in the system and Robert A too....

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 02:21 PM

well if he does make the roster I to hope he is better than what he has shown prior to PHX game..

I know he was hyped when he came on board but the injuries and I suspect the coaching he was given sure did not show me much..

Just maybe the new coaches can tweak him into an outstanding OLB..:shocked:

Tned
09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Tned you are a genius, send this to the front office right now. Maybe they can bring out a giant cut out Cutler and make it like that baseball movie where every time they won they got to take a piece of clothes off, but in Cutlers case you get to put on a piece of baby clothes on. Oh and tell Moss that if doesn't play like the AZ game pack his bags they Crowder on speed dial...:D

Seriously, dang do I have to... I hope Jarvis is on track and can florish in the system and Robert A too....

Hey, that's a great idea!!

well if he does make the roster I to hope he is better than what he has shown prior to PHX game..

I know he was hyped when he came on board but the injuries and I suspect the coaching he was given sure did not show me much..

Just maybe the new coaches can tweak him into an outstanding OLB..:shocked:

Isn't Moss the one that had the staff infection his last year in college or even off season he was drafted, and they were saying that was one of the reasons they think he couldn't put on the weight the Broncos wanted on him to play DE? I think so, but might be getting someone mixed up. Between that and the broken leg, I'm not sure how much that effected him.

I still think he is a VERY long shot, but he does have upside as an OLB.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey, that's a great idea!!

Isn't Moss the one that had the staff infection his last year in college or even off season he was drafted, and they were saying that was one of the reasons they think he couldn't put on the weight the Broncos wanted on him to play DE? I think so, but might be getting someone mixed up. Between that and the broken leg, I'm not sure how much that effected him.

I still think he is a VERY long shot, but he does have upside as an OLB.

IIRC it was his junior year in college and he was still struggling with in as a senior and the reason he was not highly thought of till we stepped up alot of folks thought he had potential but thought he would be a late 2 or early 3..

but then I did not sleep in a Holiday in Express last night either..:laugh:

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't have kept Jordan over Walker either, but rumor is Jordan has been battling an injury, so maybe that's why he looks old and decrepit, it could also mean that the Broncos may put him on IR after the season starts so they could bring him after game 7 (?) when/if he he's healthy, this would allow them to bring Walker/Somebody else back after they clear waivers.

I wouldn't worry much about Walker, I think he'll still be available when/if Denver needs to bring him back.

Sucks about Crowder, more upside than Haggan, imo, but Haggan is a much better STer and hopefully he won't be starting for long if Ayers can earn a starting job.......

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't have kept Jordan over Walker either, but rumor is Jordan has been battling an injury, so maybe that's why he looks old and decrepit, it could also mean that the Broncos may put him on IR after the season starts so they could bring him after game 7 (?) when/if he he's healthy, this would allow them to bring Walker/Somebody else back after they clear waivers.

I wouldn't worry much about Walker, I think he'll still be available when/if Denver needs to bring him back.......

IR means gone for the year period.. and I do not think they can PUP unless it is the first practice in TC..

NameUsedBefore
09-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Darius Walker cut instead of Jordan, oivey.

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 02:58 PM
IR means gone for the year period.. and I do not think they can PUP unless it is the first practice in TC..

Maybe so, I know that's how it is if they are placed there before the season starts, Red98 would be a better person to ask, but I thought that after the regular season starts they could be brought back after 7 games.......

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe so, I know that's how it is if they are placed there before the season starts, Red98 would be a better person to ask, but I thought that after the regular season starts they could be brought back after 7 games.......

IIRC PUP is, but they are deisgnated that at teh beginning of TC, but IR is gonzo till next year or they reach injury settlement..

Tned
09-05-2009, 03:02 PM
There are two different PUP lists. One relates to training camp, where a player that fails his physical can be put on the PUP and activated at any time after that point (during TC), but can't practice with the team while on the PUP.

The second is the regular season (not sure what they actually call these) PUP. I believe a player has to be put on it either before the season starts, or before the 53 man roster cut down date (not sure what the deadline is), but once put on that PUP, they cannot play in the first six games and then after came six, the team has three weeks to decide whether to activate the player or move them to the IR.

That's from memory, so I might have some points slightly misstated.

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm refering to what the Broncos were trying to do with Rod Smith when his hip did him in, whether that is the PUP or IR, the Broncos may be trying to do the same with LaMont Jordan.......

Tned
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm refering to what the Broncos were trying to do with Rod Smith when his hip did him in, whether that is the PUP or IR, the Broncos may be trying to do the same with LaMont Jordan.......

It would have been the second version of the PUP I described. Could be activated between week 7 and 10 I think.

Ray Finkle
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I trust Bobby Turner over any "expert" on a message board. If he saw something better in Jordan, that fine.

Really, we are talking about a back that will get what, maybe 4 carries a game?

Ray Finkle
09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I believe he did not see the field last year because he was in mikes dog house..

he played well as a rookie then last year was de activated for most of the games, then played pretty good this year and had a lot of folks excited about him.. it had to be the dog house..IMHO

It was his attitude/work ethic that kept him off the field last year...according to a then connected source from the OM last year....

honz
09-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Backs as good as Darius Walker: Selvin Young, Andre Hall, PJ Pope, and every other hack RB we've had in here over the years.

Tned
09-05-2009, 03:53 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13277682

Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/05/2009 02:38:38 PM MDT
Updated: 09/05/2009 02:47:27 PM MDT

The Broncos completed a deal today for veteran defensive end Vonnie Holliday.

The 6-foot-5, 288-pound Holliday was a solid defensive tackle/end for the Green Bay Packers from 1998-2002 before moving on to Kansas City and the Miami Dolphins. He will be expected to play both the 5-technique defensive end and nose tackle positions in the Broncos' 3-4 defensive alignment.

"He's versatile so he can play wherever the team decides to play him," said Holliday's agent Cary Fabrikant. "He's an extremely talented football player who's been a starter for long periods of time. He's familar with the defense."

Read the rest at DenverPost.com

Fan in Exile
09-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I was surprised at first by the Walker cut as well so I went to look at his stats. He averaged 4.4, 3.8, 3.2, yards in the preseason games that he played in. Which seems to be to be a clear enough reason to cut him. 3.2 is pretty bad.

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 04:12 PM
So it's been 3 hours since the last one right? I hate this day. So do they have 1 hour left to cut the last group? I just wish it was over, but I guess they were working on getting Holliday.

Tned
09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
DP is reporting Denver likely to keep 7 WR's

The number seems high at first, but makes sense considering how often the team runs in 4 WR sets and the question marks surrounding Brandon Marshall and a thumb injury to Jabar Gaffney.

The seven receivers are: Marshall (pending his return from suspension on Sunday), Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Chad Jackson, Brandon Lloyd and Kenny McKinley.

Read full blog entry at: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/05/broncos-likely-keeping-7-wrs/

Tned
09-05-2009, 04:15 PM
The rosters have to be in to the league office in 45 minutes, 5:00 CDT.

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I was surprised at first by the Walker cut as well so I went to look at his stats. He averaged 4.4, 3.8, 3.2, yards in the preseason games that he played in. Which seems to be to be a clear enough reason to cut him. 3.2 is pretty bad.

i saw that stat after the game thursday and knew he was gone.
that was his big shot to impress and well....not so much 21 carries with a 3.2 aint gonna lock up a job in the nfl.
kinda sad because i do think he showed alot of promise but ,mcd has his guys and moreno took any spot for projects.
good luck d.w.:salute:

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 04:18 PM

i hope thats right,i think mckinley can be a star once he gets used to the speed of the nfl and works on catching the ball with his body !:D

Tned
09-05-2009, 04:26 PM
i hope thats right,i think mckinley can be a star once he gets used to the speed of the nfl and works on catching the ball with his body !:D

Without the broken thumb to Gaffney and the Marshall problems, likely Jackson or Lloyd would have been cut, but with two of the top 3 having unclear statuses, I think it makes sense they keep an extra WR.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 04:27 PM

not sold on Jackson from what I have seen but again I'll leave it to the coaching staff for now..

Think Lloyd seems solid not a #1 but on the come and Mc Kinney looks like he could be another mini Eddie.. IF he can hang on to the ball..

Which according to Spurrier he did well in college..

Traveler
09-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Still five players to be cut, right?

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Without the broken thumb to Gaffney and the Marshall problems, likely Jackson or Lloyd would have been cut, but with two of the top 3 having unclear statuses, I think it makes sense they keep an extra WR.

how the heck did i miss that? i had no idea gaffney broke his thumb....whats the prognosis doc?
will he be ready week 1?
and in a totally unrelated story....i see at the very bottom of the smiley's page that large smiley dude with the rockies hat and also the rockies fan holding up a sign....is there any way to get the same ones with broncos logo's ?

Tned
09-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Still five players to be cut, right?

With the signing of Holliday, we need to cut 5 more by the deadline, but since Marshall will be back on the roster tomorrow, a 6th player needs to be cut before he is activated. Not sure if they will do that by the 5:00 deadline, or wait until they activate Marshall.

So, it's 6 players in total, unless I missed someone.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 04:35 PM
With the signing of Holliday, we need to cut 5 more by the deadline, but since Marshall will be back on the roster tomorrow, a 6th player needs to be cut before he is activated. Not sure if they will do that by the 5:00 deadline, or wait until they activate Marshall.

So, it's 6 players in total, unless I missed someone.

I think your correct but there may be other cuts if we claim any of the other cuts from other teams..

Tned
09-05-2009, 04:35 PM
how the heck did i miss that? i had no idea gaffney broke his thumb....whats the prognosis doc?
will he be ready week 1?
and in a totally unrelated story....i see at the very bottom of the smiley's page that large smiley dude with the rockies hat and also the rockies fan holding up a sign....is there any way to get the same ones with broncos logo's ?

I'm graphically challenged. If someone can make some up, I can upload them to the server.

As to Gaffney, the Broncos are pretty typed lipped about all injuries. Not sure if they have publicly accounced it as more than an upper extremity injury. Can't remember. When it was reported on by some local media, they were saying 4-6 weeks, I believe, and he broke it the Friday before the Chicago game.

dogfish
09-05-2009, 04:55 PM

actually, body-catching is an extreme no no for wide receivers-- guys are taught to catch the ball cleanly with their hands rather than trapping it against their body from high school on up. . . . ;)

i am glad to see mckinley make the roster-- the kid has obvious talent and has the skillset to flourish in the spread offense. . . .

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 04:57 PM
actually, body-catching is an extreme no no for wide receivers-- guys are taught to catch the ball cleanly with their hands rather than trapping it against their body from high school on up. . . . ;)

i am glad to see mckinley make the roster-- the kid has obvious talent and has the skillset to flourish in the spread offense. . . .

I'd like to think it is because we are going to need more than warn bodies to run the spread..

and we all know that BM is going to do something stupid this year and well........

or going to be hurt off and on depending on how effective Rod has been..

Tned
09-05-2009, 05:00 PM

I think it was Rice that came up with the contraption where he strapped half of a tennis ball to his palm, to focus on catching the ball with this finger tips.

I'd like to think it is because we are going to need more than warn bodies to run the spread..

and we all know that BM is going to do something stupid this year and well........

I think it's fair to say we don't 'all' know that is a fact.

Tned
09-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok, the deadline has come and gone, now we just need word to get out throug the media channels or NFL league office. There are 5 or 6 more to go, depending on how they handle Marshall's spot.

Buff
09-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Seems like we should have heard by now...

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Seems like we should have heard by now...

I was thinking the same thing, this is really killing me and I have no idea why. I think the guys I really care about are safe this year, but I have hit refresh so many times and I even went to the other site and NOTHING!!!!

Day1BroncoFan
09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I want to adopt a Bronco, I wish they'd hurry up already! :impatient:

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 05:47 PM

i was thinking more of getting his body squared away from a defender and not getting knocked out of the play or dropping the ball.
but i understand your point

Tned
09-05-2009, 05:49 PM
I assume this is a mistake, but NFL.com has both Marcus Thomas's cut.

Rashod Moulton (CB) cut.
Ingle Martin (QB) cut.
Clint Oldenburg (T) cut.
Kory Lichtensteiger (C) cut.
Matthias Askew (DT) cut.
Marcus Thomas (RB) cut.
Marcus Thomas (DT) cut.
Carlton Powell (DT) cut.
Matt McChesney (T) Placed on IR (sprained ankle).

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Broncos Offense
WR 19 E. Royal 84 B. Lloyd 11 K. McKinley 12 M. Willis
LT 78 R. Clady 76 T. Polumbus
LG 50 B. Hamilton 70. S. Olsen
C 62 C. Wiegmann
RG 73 C. Kuper 61 M. Erickson 65 R. Hochstein
RT 74 R. Harris 77 B. Gorin
TE 89 D. Graham 88 T. Scheffler 81 R. Quinn 85 M. Branson
WR 14 B. Stokley
WR 10 J. Gaffney 16 C. Jackson
QB 8 K.Orton 2 C. Simms 3 T. Brandstater
RB 28 C. Buckhalter 32 L. Jordan 22 P. Hillis 27 K. Moreno
34 D. Walker

Broncos Defense
DE 98 R. McBean 72 L. Smith 93 N. Clemons
NT 91 R. Fields 75 C. Baker
DE 90 K. Peterson 79 M. Thomas 64 E. Pedescleaux
OLB 57 M. Haggan 95 D. Reid 96 T. Crowder
ILB 55 D.J. Williams 59 W. Woodyard
ILB 54 A. Davis 46 S. Larsen 48 B. Kelley
OLB 92 E. Dumervil 56 R. Ayers 94 J. Moss
LCB 24 C. Bailey 33 A. Smith 35 D.J. Johnson 41 A. Spann
RCB 21 A. Goodman 26 J. Williams 25 J. Bell 37 T. Carter
SS 23 R. Hill 30 D. Bruton 36 J. Barrett
FS 20 B. Dawkins 31 D. McBath 39 V. Fox 41 A. Spann

Broncos Specialists
P 1 B. Kern
K 5 M. Prater
KO 5 M. Prater 1 B. Kern
PR 33 A. Smith 12 M. Willis
KR 33 A. Smith 12 M. Willis
PC 66 L. Paxton 73 C. Kuper 88 T. Scheffler
KC 66 L. Paxton 73 C. Kuper 88 T. Scheffler
H 1 B. Kern 8 K. Orton

Rookie and First-Year players underlined

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I assume this is a mistake, but NFL.com has both Marcus Thomas's cut.

Rashod Moulton (CB) cut.
Ingle Martin (QB) cut.
Clint Oldenburg (T) cut.
Kory Lichtensteiger (C) cut.
Matthias Askew (DT) cut.
Marcus Thomas (RB) cut.
Marcus Thomas (DT) cut.
Carlton Powell (DT) cut.
Matt McChesney (T) Placed on IR (sprained ankle).

I'm sure the NFL must have made a mistake/got confused on the two Marcus Thomas.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 06:10 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/248885-denver-broncos-sign-dl-vonnie-holliday-final-roster-cuts-no-surprise

Just found this on Bleacher Report - don't know how valid it is:

The Broncos have been busy making roster moves today, much like the rest of the league, and here is a list of players who did not make the final cut:

* DL Matthias Askew
* OL Kory Lichtensteiger
* QB Ingle Martin
* CB Rashod Moulton
* OT Clint Oldenburg
* DL Carlton Powell
* LB Lee Robinson
* WR Nate Swift
* RB Marcus Thomas
* WR Matt Willis
* CB Joshua Bell
* CB Tony Carter
* DE Everette Pedescleaux
* G Mitch Erickson
* DE/OLB Tim Crowder
* DE Nic Clemons
* RB Darius Walker
* OL Matt McChesney

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Frank Schwab of the Colardo Springs Gazette believes the two Marcus Thomas listings are a mistake, but is checking on it.

@fs3142 @BroncosForums It would be a 180 degree change if Marcus Thomas the DT got released. Am checking on it though.

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/248885-denver-broncos-sign-dl-vonnie-holliday-final-roster-cuts-no-surprise

Just found this on Bleacher Report - don't know how valid it is:

The Broncos have been busy making roster moves today, much like the rest of the league, and here is a list of players who did not make the final cut:

* DL Matthias Askew
* OL Kory Lichtensteiger
* QB Ingle Martin
* CB Rashod Moulton
* OT Clint Oldenburg
* DL Carlton Powell
* LB Lee Robinson
* WR Nate Swift
* RB Marcus Thomas
* WR Matt Willis
* CB Joshua Bell
* CB Tony Carter
* DE Everette Pedescleaux
* G Mitch Erickson
* DE/OLB Tim Crowder
* DE Nic Clemons
* RB Darius Walker
* OL Matt McChesney

Those are the same guys we have listed in the first post of this thread, so I would say it's accurate.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Those are the same guys we have listed in the first post of this thread, so I would say it's accurate.

OOOOOPPPPPS - been gone a lot of the day :eek:

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Frank Schwab has confirmed that Marcus Thomas (DT) was NOT cut:

@fs3142 @BroncosForums Yes, just confirmed DT Marcus Thomas was NOT released.

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:16 PM
OOOOOPPPPPS - been gone a lot of the day :eek:

Waiting on five or six more (depending on when they cut the player for Marshalls spot.

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Waiting on five or six more (depending on when they cut the player for Marshalls spot.

Yes with waiting being the key word.

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Yes with waiting being the key word.

If it's any consolation, the reporters are also wondering why it is taking so long, as the deadline was almost an hour and a half ago.

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Broncos Offense
WR--#19 E. Royal #84 B. Lloyd #11 K. McKinley
LT--#78 R. Clady #76 T. Polumbus
LG--#50 B. Hamilton #70 S. Olsen
C--#62 C. Wiegmann
RG--#73 C. Kuper #65 R. Hochstein
RT--#74 R. Harris
TE--#89 D. Graham #88 T. Scheffler #81 R. Quinn
WR--#14 B. Stokley
WR--#15 B. Marshall #16 C. Jackson
QB--#2 C. Simms #3 T. Brandstater #8 K. Orton
RB--#22 P. Hillis #27 K. Moreno #28 C. Buckhalter #32 L. Jordan

Broncos Defense
DE--#98 R. McBean #72 L. Smith
NT--#91 R. Fields #75 C. Baker
DE--#90 K. Peterson #93 V. Holliday #79 M. Thomas
OLB--#57 M. Haggan #95 D. Reid
ILB--#55 D.J. Williams #59 W. Woodyard
ILB--#54 A. Davis #46 S. Larsen
OLB--#92 E. Dumervil #56 R. Ayers #94 J. Moss
LCB--#24 C. Bailey #33 A. Smith #35 D.J. Johnson
RCB--#21 A. Goodman #26 J. Williams
SS--#23 R. Hill #30 D. Bruton #36 J. Barrett
FS--#20 B. Dawkins #31 D. McBath.......

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
If it's any consolation, the reporters are also wondering why it is taking so long, as the deadline was almost an hour and a half ago.

Since we are all waiting I brought out my list from camp and have been trying to mark off everyone cut. I do stupid things when I nervous. So who were the first few guy? Remembered Putzeir and Colquitt and I'm too lazy to look, but I can....

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm off to a wake. If someone posts the final cuts, PM a mod online, or report the post (of the final cuts) to get a mods attention, and ask them to update the first post in this thread.

Catch you guys later.

Tned
09-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Since we are all waiting I brought out my list from camp and have been trying to mark off everyone cut. I do stupid things when I nervous. So who were the first few guy? Remembered Putzeir and Colquitt and I'm too lazy to look, but I can....

Jeb Putzier (TE) cut.
Blake Schlueter (C) cut.
C.J. Jones (WR) cut.
Colquit

And, I thought there was one more, but not sure.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Did you get Torain?

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Did you get Torain?

He was not on this list. I think what I'm really trying to do is figure out is if there's room for Josh Barrett. I'm also really hoping that Tony Carter makes it on to the PS, he is such a great kid.

I will miss C.J. Jones because he was a super sweetheart.

Carol do you remember who's hurt on the D, was it Andra Davis?

Simple Jaded
09-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Barrett makes the team.......

Traveler
09-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think Barrett makes the team.......

Hush your mouth!

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 07:52 PM
OK I've tried to post 3 times I think it's time for me to get some work done.

If Gorin goes then I think Barrett stays, but then who knows and who know who else might get picked up. Now I really remember why I really hate this day.

Tned
09-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Per Frank Schwab:

@fs3142 Broncos cuts: TE Branson, CB Carter, DL Clemons, LB Crowder, G Erickson, S Fox, CB Johnson, LB Kelley, DL Pedescleaux, DB Spann

Tned
09-05-2009, 08:15 PM
DenverBroncos.com

On Saturday, the Broncos made several moves to trim their roster down to the league-mandated regular season size of 53 players.

The team released 12 players: running back Darius Walker, offensive lineman Mitch Erickson, tight end Marquez Branson, wide receiver Matthew Willis, defensive linemen Nic Clemons and Everette Pedescleaux, outside linebacker/defensive end Tim Crowder, linebacker Braxton Kelley and defensive backs Tony Carter, Vernon Fox, D.J. Johnson and Antwain Spann. The club also waived/injured defensive back Joshua Bell.

In a seperate move, the team has signed veteran defensive end Vonnie Holiday.

Kaylore
09-05-2009, 08:19 PM
The only cut I don't like was Lichtensteiger. So far, so good McDaniels! :beer:

rcsodak
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM

He sure did.....

....in the local arcade.
:coffee:

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Frank Schwab has confirmed that Marcus Thomas (DT) was NOT cut:

marcus thomas rb was cut.

Tned
09-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Ok, I think the list below (and in the first post of this thread) is all the cuts and the current roster.

Broncos need to cut 23 players total (with Brandon Marshall returning to the roster)

Players cut to date (Updated 11:37 CDT - deadline 5:00 CDT):

1 C Cory Lichtensteiger
2. DT Carlton Powell
4. OL Clint Oldenburg
5. DE Matthias Askew
6. RB Marcus Thomas
7. LB Lee Robinson
8. QB Ingle Martin
11. DB Rashod Moulton
12. WR Nate Swift
14. RB Darius Walker
16. LB Tim Crowder
17. WR Matthew Willis
18. DE Nic Clemons
19. TE Marquez Branson
20. LB Braxton Kelley
21. DB Vernon Fox,
22. DB D.J. Johnson
23. DB Antwain Spann

53 Man Roster:

OL: Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris, Seth Olsen, Russ Hochstein, Tyler Polumbus, Brandon Gorin.

WR: Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Jabar Gaffney, Kenny McKinley, Brandon Lloyd, Chad Jackson.

DL: Ronald Fields, Chris Baker, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean, Marcus Thomas, DE Vonnie Holliday.

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 08:26 PM
He sure did.....

....in the local arcade.
:coffee:

oh....snap!:laugh:

Ziggy
09-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Anyone know what the status of LeKevin Smith is? I don't see him on either list.

T.K.O.
09-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Ok, I think the list below (and in the first post of this thread) is all the cuts and the current roster.

championship !:D

Tned
09-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Correction to the last. I was missing Le Kevin Smith, which makes it 54 men. See not at top of quote below.

UPDATED:
Le Kevin Smith was left off last update. The Broncos are now at 54 men including Marshall, so will have to release one more player when activating Marshall.

Players cut to date (Updated 8:31 PM CDT - deadline 5:00 CDT):

1 C Cory Lichtensteiger
2. DT Carlton Powell
4. OL Clint Oldenburg
5. DE Matthias Askew
6. RB Marcus Thomas
7. LB Lee Robinson
8. QB Ingle Martin
11. DB Rashod Moulton
12. WR Nate Swift
14. RB Darius Walker
16. LB Tim Crowder
17. WR Matthew Willis
18. DE Nic Clemons
19. TE Marquez Branson
20. LB Braxton Kelley
21. DB Vernon Fox,
22. DB D.J. Johnson
23. DB Antwain Spann

53 Man Roster:

DL: Ronald Fields, Chris Baker, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean, Marcus Thomas, DE Vonnie Holliday, Le Kevin Smith.

rcsodak
09-05-2009, 08:33 PM

I wouldn't worry much about Walker, I think he'll still be available when/if Denver needs to bring him back.

Sucks about Crowder, more upside than Haggan, imo, but Haggan is a much better STer and hopefully he won't be starting for long if Ayers can earn a starting job.......

A little NFL rules info, link....

...they put you on the IR, you're DONE for the year. Maybe you meant PUP?

Tned
09-05-2009, 08:33 PM
marcus thomas rb was cut.

Correct, but NFL.com listed:
Marcus Thomas (RB) cut.
Marcus Thomas (DT) cut

Clearly, it was a mistake on their part.

Tned
09-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Anyone know what the status of LeKevin Smith is? I don't see him on either list.

That was my bad. I missed him. I haven't seen any news either way. I wonder if he will hit the PUP (if still eligible) with Marshall's return needing another roster spot and us signing Holliday.

Fan in Exile
09-05-2009, 08:36 PM
The only cut I don't like was Lichtensteiger. So far, so good McDaniels! :beer:

I really don't like it with Hamilton out with an injury and Weigman being as old as he is.

rcsodak
09-05-2009, 08:37 PM
It was his attitude/work ethic that kept him off the field last year...according to a then connected source from the OM last year....

IT's called "texass". ...nuff said....

Tned
09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
That was timing. I was gone for over 90 minutes, came in here and was surprised the cuts in the first post hadn't been updated. I check out the Tweets, and literally 20 seconds before I checked them, the final cuts were hitting the wire.

LRtagger
09-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Not a bad roster...I can live with that definitely.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=9315

BRONCOS RELEASE 12 PLAYERS; WAIVE/INJURED CB BELL AND SIGN FREE-AGENT DL VONNIE HOLLIDAY

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Saturday released 12 players, waived/injured cornerback Joshua Bell and signed defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday, it was announced.

The following 12 players were released by Denver on Saturday:
Player NFL Exp. College
TE Marquez Branson R Central Arkansas
CB Tony Carter R Florida State
DL Nic Clemons 3 Georgia
OLB/DE Tim Crowder 3 Texas
G Mitch Erickson 1 South Dakota State
S Vernon Fox 8 Fresno State
CB D.J. Johnson R Jackson State
ILB Braxton Kelley R Kentucky
DL Everette Pedescleaux R Northern Iowa
DB Antwain Spann 4 Louisiana-Lafayette
RB Darius Walker 3 Notre Dame
WR Matt Willis 3 UCLA

Holliday (6-foot-5, 285 pounds) is a 12th-year defensive lineman from the University of North Carolina who has totaled 55.0 sacks (357 yds.) and 508 tackles (355 solo) in 151 games (141 starts) for Green Bay (1998-2002), Kansas City (2003-04) and Miami (2005-08).

Last season Holliday appeared in all 16 games (15 starts) and registered 46 tackles (29 solo), including 3.5 sacks, and forced a fumble for Miami.

Holliday entered the NFL as Green Bay’s first-round selection (19th overall) in the 1998 NFL Draft after performing as a four-year letterman at North Carolina. He earned first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference recognition as a senior when he posted 64 tackles and five sacks for the Tarheels.

Holliday, 33, was a first-team all-state selection and Class 3A Lineman of the Year as a senior at Camden High School in Camden, S.C. Dimetry Giovonni Holliday was born Dec. 11, 1975, in Camden, S.C.

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Like I said a watched pot. Glad this is done for this minute....

19. TE Marquez Branson
20. LB Braxton Kelley
21. DB Vernon Fox,
22. DB D.J. Johnson
23. DB Antwain Spann

I had the first four on my guess, but I also had Brandon Gorin and Marcus Thingpen to make 6 for Marshal coming back. Antwain came in after camp so I thought about him, but didn't remember him. So got to get back to work and sew some more.

Oh and yeah, Josh B is still here at least for tonight.

Tned
09-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Like I said a watched pot. Glad this is done for this minute....

19. TE Marquez Branson
20. LB Braxton Kelley
21. DB Vernon Fox,
22. DB D.J. Johnson
23. DB Antwain Spann

I had the first four on my guess, but I also had Brandon Gorin and Marcus Thingpen to make 6 for Marshal coming back. Antwain came in after camp so I thought about him, but didn't remember him. So got to get back to work and sew some more.

Oh and yeah, Josh B is still here at least for tonight.

Josh Bell was waived/injured.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 09:09 PM
http://twitter.com/BroncosForums/statuses/3790064933

RT @VicLombardi I had a feeling J-Moss would make this team...too much potential to waste...now go use it

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Josh Bell was waived/injured.

I was talking about Barrett, I just was not sure I could spell his name. This year has been kind of crazy with players having the same names. Think of the all the Brandon's...

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
http://twitter.com/BroncosForums/statuses/3790064933

RT @VicLombardi I had a feeling J-Moss would make this team...too much potential to waste...now go use it

oui oui MS. Twitter..:salute: did not know you had it in YA..

Tned
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I was talking about Barrett, I just was not sure I could spell his name. This year has been kind of crazy with players having the same names. Think of the all the Brandon's...

Gotcha. I hope he sticks. While I didn't like him playing center field like he did in the one game last year, he is a fast, physical player. I would love to see him get one year under the new defensive coaches to see if he can make it.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 09:16 PM

I have always like Josh B.. I hope he is given a Chance to play some and maybe groomed to replace Dawkins the year after next..

he is a big kid with speed to burn IIRC. and hits like a truck I can see him and Burton being the next All Star Safety combo Denver used to be known for..

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 09:17 PM
oui oui MS. Twitter..:salute: did not know you had it in YA..

Hey - you forget that I am the Queen of copy and paste. :elefant:

pnbronco
09-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Carol you are the Queen of much more than that....:D

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 09:19 PM

but now your branching out to twitter and face book and all of those nether areas?:salute:

your the best at finding GEMs'

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Carol you are the Queen of much more than that....:D

Don't you dare start telling secrets :lol:

sneakers
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Frank Schwab of the Colorado Springs Gazette is reporting:

@fs3142 DL Everette Pedescleaux will also be cut, but could come back to the practice squad. CB Joshua Bell (knee) could be headed to inj settlement

Yeah if they can spell his name, if they spell his name wrong, he technically hasn't been cut, right?

rcsodak
09-05-2009, 09:38 PM
4 CB's is all?

4 ILB's is all?

Seriously?

Look for MAJOR pickups!

Magnificent Seven
09-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh man! They cut Tim Crowder

Denver Native (Carol)
09-05-2009, 09:57 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/05/the-broncos-official-cut-list-roster-breakdown/

The Broncos official cut list + roster breakdown
by Lindsay Jones on September 5, 2009

The Broncos have (finally) released their official list of cuts to get the roster down to 53 players on the active roster.

Because the Broncos also added DE Vonnie Holliday, the team had to make an extra cut to get to the 53-man limit. The team also will have to make another roster move by Sunday to clear a spot on the active roster for Brandon Marshall, whose suspension is set to end Sept. 6.

Here are the cuts from Saturday: outside linebacker Tim Crowder, running back Darius Walker, wide receiver Matthew Willis, defensive end Nic Clemons, offensive lineman Mitch Erickson, cornerback Tony Carter, defensive end Everette Pedescleaux, tight end Marquez Branson, linebacker Braxton Kelley, safety Vernon Fox, safety Antwain Span, and cornerback D.J. Johnson.

Add those to the 11 moves made Friday. Center Kory Lichtensteiger, defensive tackle Carlton Powell, defensive end Matthias Askew, quarterback Ingle Martin, cornerback Rashod Moulton, offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg (a Colorado State graduate), linebacker Lee Robinson, wide receiver Nate Swift, running back Marcus Thomas, cornerback Joshua Bell were all released. Bell was waived-injured after having surgery on his knee last week. Offensive lineman Matt McChesney was placed on injured reserve while the team and McChesney’s representatives negotiate an injury settlement.

Breakdown of the 54 players (53 active + Marshall):

9 offensive linemen: the starters (Clady, Hamilton, Wiegmann, Kuper, Harris) plus backups Seth Olsen, Russ Hochstein, Tyler Polumbus and Brandon Gorin.

7 wide receivers: Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Jabar Gaffney, Kenny McKinley, Chad Jackson and Brandon Lloyd.

4 running backs: Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter, LaMont Jordan and Peyton Hillis, who doubles as a fullback. Spencer Larsen also on the fullback depth chart.

3 quarterbacks: Kyle Orton, Chris Simms, Tom Brandstater

3 tight ends: Daniel Graham, Tony Scheffler, Richard Quinn

7 defensive linemen: Ronald Fields, Chris Baker, Kenny Peterson, Ryan McBean, new DE Vonnie Holliday, Marcus Thomas, Le Kevin Smith

9 linebackers: OLBs Elvis Dumervil, Mario Haggan, Darrell Reid, Robert Ayers, Jarvis Moss; ILBs DJ Williams, Andra Davis, Wesley Woodyard, Spencer Larsen.

4 cornerbacks: Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman, Alphonso Smith, Jack Williams

5 safeties: Brian Dawkins, Renaldo Hill, Darcel McBath, David Bruton, Josh Barrett

3 specialists: K Matt Prater, P Brett Kern, LS Lonie Paxton

If the team’s actions throughout the preseason was any indication, this is by no means a final roster. Expect plenty of minor (and maybe a couple of bigger) moves as the season goes on

Fan in Exile
09-05-2009, 09:57 PM
4 CB's is all?

4 ILB's is all?

Seriously?

Look for MAJOR pickups!

I think that they're planning on using safeties a lot more which is why we kept more of them. Davis at least will probably be off the field a lot on passing downs.

Tned
09-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Denver Post - 50% of the current 54 are new.

@denverbroncos 27 of the 54 players on the Broncos roster (active + Marshall) are holdovers from Shanahan Era. 12 of 25 def; 13 of 26 off; 2 of 3 ST.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 10:39 PM

I really expected it to be less of the old regime.. more of the new kids..

oobehr
09-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I am thinking the only reason we kept Lloyd is because he is building a nice little duo with Brandstater. If he is going to be starting for a while, and if Marshall is going to be out for longer, it might be good to keep him around.

Tned
09-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I really expected it to be less of the old regime.. more of the new kids..

50% is a pretty massive turnover.

Especially with about 10 of them being new starters and another (Dumvile) in a new position.

Superchop 7
09-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I don't think I've ever seen WR this deep on Broncos, glad they kept LLoyd, will be no scrambling when an injury occurs.

Hoped Powell would stick, great resume in college.

Happy for Moss.

Watchthemiddle
09-05-2009, 10:59 PM

Out with the old, in with the new.

Doesn't surprise me with our inability to draft well or bring in inpact FA's in the past.

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 11:05 PM
50% is a pretty massive turnover.

Especially with about 10 of them being new starters and another (Dumvile) in a new position.

I actually expected the D to be almost 100% different with Champ and maybe DJ being the holdovers..

I did not expect MT, DOOM, Moss to be around and a lots of fresh faces on the DL.. since it was so bad last year..

Guess getting quality coaches in to do the job makes a difference..

I still think we need to upgrade at NT unless of course they are better than I thought.. although the newbie rookie might surprise alot of folks..

I have always said this is going to be a building year with all the changes in players and schemes.. still think we are looking at a 5-11 maybe as good 8-8 but we would have to be sneaking up on a few teams..

we play way to many east coast games and although we have a lot of folks new that do not have the old we can't win in early games on the east coast mentality, alot of the newbies are from the east coast..

however the win ratio for west coast teams going east is something like 25%..

time will tell folks..

broncofaninfla
09-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm thinking LLoyd will be cut once Marshall is removed from the suspended list and added to the reg roster.

Superchop 7
09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Gentlemen, may I have your attention.

Please take out your finest bottle of champagne.

Light a cigar.

Asssley Lelie has been cut.

Smells like victory.

Kaylore
09-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm thinking LLoyd will be cut once Marshall is removed from the suspended list and added to the reg roster.

Very possible. I wouldn't feel good as a bubble player yet. Someone else is gone once Sunday comes 'round.

Superchop 7
09-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Sidenote.....what happened to Ian Scott ?

honz
09-06-2009, 12:23 AM
I have no qualms with the cuts. Pretty much what was expected. I'm happy for Moss...dude was so discouraged about his career that he was almost ready to give it up, but he worked hard and ended up making the roster. Dude still has potential and fits much better as an OLB in this league IMO. We'll see if he keeps improving. That said...I wouldn't be buying a house if I were Moss, Barrett, or Lloyd/Chad Jackson. One of those guys is gone come Sunday IMO.

Buff
09-06-2009, 12:31 AM

I hope Lloyd stays over Jackson. But I haven't seen any former Patriots get whacked yet. Probably one of the two though.

honz
09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I hope Lloyd stays over Jackson. But I haven't seen any former Patriots get whacked yet. Probably one of the two though.

FWIW, Jackson isn't one of McDaniels' Patriot recruits. Jackson was brought over by the Shanny regime.

Fan in Exile
09-06-2009, 07:06 AM
I actually expected the D to be almost 100% different with Champ and maybe DJ being the holdovers..

I did not expect MT, DOOM, Moss to be around and a lots of fresh faces on the DL.. since it was so bad last year..

Guess getting quality coaches in to do the job makes a difference..

I still think we need to upgrade at NT unless of course they are better than I thought.. although the newbie rookie might surprise alot of folks..

I have always said this is going to be a building year with all the changes in players and schemes.. still think we are looking at a 5-11 maybe as good 8-8 but we would have to be sneaking up on a few teams..

we play way to many east coast games and although we have a lot of folks new that do not have the old we can't win in early games on the east coast mentality, alot of the newbies are from the east coast..

however the win ratio for west coast teams going east is something like 25%..

time will tell folks..

I think the west coast teams can't win on the east coast story line is overhyped rubbish. We're talking about the NFC west and the AFC west did anyone other than their moms expect them to do well at all? It's not like theyre regular winning persentage was much higher.

pnbronco
09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I know that players have to clear waivers to get on the practice squad. Does anyone know how long that takes? Also how does it work?

Also when does Marshall official get back on the team, is it this morning so they have to cut someone else when practice starts? Thanks for any info.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I think the west coast teams can't win on the east coast story line is overhyped rubbish. We're talking about the NFC west and the AFC west did anyone other than their moms expect them to do well at all? It's not like theyre regular winning persentage was much higher.

I think the west coast teams coming to the east coast and playing the early game, is definitely a disadvantage for the west coast team.

Lonestar
09-06-2009, 01:21 PM

traditionally it is a fact the winning percentage of West coast teams play early games on the east coast IIRC was like about 25%.

now whether that means the teams in the east/south division are stronger and the teams in the west are weaker.. it is still something to take into account..

perhaps Josh being an east coast guy knows the Mojo to make us better out there..

but the travel, playing a game when your just waking up ( not quite) but these guys are used to rhythm in their lives and if your not used to playing till 2PM or so and now your playing a game 3 hours earlier, when your still trying to get into the groove.. these things disrupt the players and team work....

Elevation inc
09-06-2009, 02:02 PM
^^^^ though this thread was just for roster news???? any word on marshall yet and who he replaced???

BroncoAV06
09-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I know that players have to clear waivers to get on the practice squad. Does anyone know how long that takes? Also how does it work?

Also when does Marshall official get back on the team, is it this morning so they have to cut someone else when practice starts? Thanks for any info.

Well i just saw that San Diego announced its PS, so players should be eligable to sign anytime.

T.K.O.
09-06-2009, 04:24 PM
^^^^ though this thread was just for roster news???? any word on marshall yet and who he replaced???

this says he is "back with the team" for whatever that is worth......

Jets looking to flip O'Connell to Broncos?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 6, 2009 4:41 PM ET
We mentioned earlier today the possibility that the Pats didn't try to trade quarterback Kevin O'Connell before cutting him because New England coach Bill Belichick wanted to slide the 2008 third-rounder through to the Chiefs, whose G.M. is former Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli.

The fact that, you know, Pioli didn't submit a waiver claim for O'Connell sort of blew that theory to hell.

But the Broncos, coached by former Pats offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, did make a claim for O'Connell. And even if Belichick wasn't trying to help McDaniels out, there's a belief that the trade of O'Connell from the Lions to the Jets might be a precursor to renewed trade talks between the Jets and the Broncos for receiver Brandon Marshall.

The notion has been floated by Mike Klis of the Denver Post. Though Klis points out that a source says the Broncos have no intention of trading Marshall, who rejoined the team today after a nine-day suspension for conduct detrimental to the team, the Jets seem to have even less of a need for O'Connell than the Lions did.

UPDATE: As a reader pointed out, the fact that the Jets made a waiver claim for O'Connell undermines this theory, since Denver has waiver priority over the Jets.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/06/broncos-get-another-day-to-make-move/

by Jeff Legwold on September 6, 2009

The Broncos formally turned in the paperwork to the league office Sunday to lift wide receiver Brandon Marshall’s suspension.

Marshall was at the team’s Dove Valley complex for meetings and took part in a practice as well.

The Broncos were also granted, by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, a one-day roster exemption before making a roster move. Marshall’s return gives the Broncos 54 players on their active roster.

The roster exemption expires Monday so the Broncos will have to make a move to get back to 53 players.

SoCalImport
09-06-2009, 05:19 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/06/broncos-get-another-day-to-make-move/
The roster exemption expires Monday so the Broncos will have to make a move to get back to 53 players.

Josh Barrett, or Chad Jackson being shown the door? Maybe Dre-Davis?

Who's getting cut on Monday?

Grover
09-06-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't see a suitable replacement for Andre Davis right now, so my guess is Chad Jackson. Barrett needs some time (I hope) as he hasn't shown much yet IMO.

Superchop 7
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
If you keep LLoyd, you have the possibility of trading him for a draft pick when another team is thin due to injury.

Tned
09-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Frank Scwhab Reporting:

@fs3142 Broncos cut WR Chad Jackson

http://twitter.com/fs3142

Denver Native (Carol)
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=9319

BRONCOS WAIVE WIDE RECEIVER CHAD JACKSON

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Monday waived wide receiver Chad Jackson, it was announced.

Jackson, a fourth-year wide receiver, joined the Broncos as a free agent on Oct. 27, 2008. He totaled eight kickoff returns for 162 yards (20.3 avg.) and a 19-yard catch in four regular-season games for the Broncos.

T.K.O.
09-07-2009, 04:48 PM
this can only mean brandon came back ready to play !:D

Denver Native (Carol)
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
this can only mean brandon came back ready to play !:D

I would imagine that is what it means, and that is why the Broncos ask for an extra day to make the 1 cut they still needed to make. I am sure they wanted to see what kind of an attitude Brandon came back with.

T.K.O.
09-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I would imagine that is what it means, and that is why the Broncos ask for an extra day to make the 1 cut they still needed to make. I am sure they wanted to see what kind of an attitude Brandon came back with.

now we just have to hope that "attitude" lasts all season ;)

Tned
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM

That's what I was trying to explain on Saturday and yesterday. Here is an exchange that I had on Twitter today with Frank Schwab of the Colorado Springs Gazzette (the ones that start with @BroncosForums, are me, the ones that start with @fs3142 are Schwab):

@BroncosForums That should put an end to the belief that the 1 day roster exemption meant Marshall was to be traded RT @fs3142 Broncos cut WR Chad Jackson

@fs3142 @BroncosForums Never understood theory that exemption = Marshall was being traded. Why, because Kerry Rhodes was excited abt something?

@BroncosForums @fs3142 I kept trying to explain to ppl, that it was fairly standard, and since they could, they would get it. Make sure Marshall showed up.

@fs3142 @BroncosForums NFL teams micromanage all the time. If they can use 54 players in one day of practice just because, they will.

@BroncosForums @fs3142 That's exactly what I have been trying to tell people. In that one day, they could have had an injury, which changes their strategy.

@BroncosForums @fs3142 Or, they could have traded a bubble player for a 7th round pick, or just keep a scout team guy, one more day. Normal stuff.

Tned
09-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Here is one last reply from Schwab:

@fs3142 @BroncosForums Very normal and standard, agreed. Was no conspiracy, nor would the commish's office grant an extra day just to work on trade

pnbronco
09-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Here is one last reply from Schwab:

You little twitter man you.....:D

I was actually thinking Gorin, but it makes a lot more sense with all the receivers they have. I will be pulling for Brandon, just not buying anymore Jerseys....;)

Dang Jackson had the coolest cleats.

I leave town tomorrow for 2 weeks. I have internet in both WI and San Diego, but like with be back to normal of working 12hr days. I'm driving 4000 miles in those 2 weeks so keep me in your positive thoughts and yelll really loud for me...p

Tned
09-07-2009, 06:25 PM
You little twitter man you.....:D

I was actually thinking Gorin, but it makes a lot more sense with all the receivers they have. I will be pulling for Brandon, just not buying anymore Jerseys....;)

Dang Jackson had the coolest cleats.

I leave town tomorrow for 2 weeks. I have internet in both WI and San Diego, but like with be back to normal of working 12hr days. I'm driving 4000 miles in those 2 weeks so keep me in your positive thoughts and yelll really loud for me...p

Yea, I never envisioned myself being such a big Twit!!!

Travel safe.

I will be working next weekend and it's probably 50/50 I will miss the game and won't get to watch it until Monday night. There is a small chance I can slip away to the hotel room and watch on TV, but if I don't catch it live, I won't be able to watch until Monday, as I will be tied up late into Sunday night/Monday morning. :sad:

denver lover 85
09-23-2009, 12:39 PM
yeah that's pretty interesting................ well yeah....