PDA

View Full Version : NFL ready to alter calendar

Denver Native (Carol)
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM
The NFL and NFL Players Association are on the verge of pushing back the draft to May and moving up the start of the league year to before the Indianapolis scouting combine, according to league and union sources.

As for the draft, the NFLPA is close to signing off on allowing the NFL to move the draft to May from April for at least the next three years, according to sources. Under the current collective bargaining agreement, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can set the date of the draft without the NFLPA's approval, although he would prefer to have the union's blessing to maintain league harmony.

The start of the new league year is now expected to be moved to before the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis rather than after it, per league sources. The NFLPA wanted to give free agents a chance to find new teams sooner.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9295316/nfl-close-shifting-draft-sources

Nomad
05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Why pushback the draft?

dogfish
05-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Why pushback the draft?

because the NFL was obviously broken and failing, and Big Rog needs to fix everything. . .

WTE
05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Why pushback the draft?

I think the NFL wants to have one big event every month after the Super Bowl instead of two big events in a month and then nothing at all in May.

If I remember correctly the NFL wants free agency in March, Combine in April and draft in May. That was there's always something going on.

MOtorboat
05-20-2013, 07:54 PM
I think the NFL wants to have one big event every month after the Super Bowl instead of two big events in a month and then nothing at all in May.

If I remember correctly the NFL wants free agency in March, Combine in April and draft in May. That was there's always something going on.

Free agency would start in February with new league year starting earlier. So that leaves March, April and June without big NFL events, so I'm not sure that's the reasoning. I don't get moving the draft, and the article linked doesn't give a reason.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-20-2013, 08:05 PM
The NFL's effort to change its offseason calendar is starting to make some progress.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Monday that the NFL and NFL Players Association are working toward a deal to move the 2014 NFL Draft to May. It likely would start as a one-year trial before deciding if the May move makes sense.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that the likely target start date for the 2014 draft is May 15. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell sets the date of the draft, provided it's within the agreed-upon window. May 15 would be.

Pushing the draft back to May is something Breer reported two months ago. But it's probably happening in 2014 because of a scheduling conflict. The Radio City Rockettes show, "The Spring Spectacular," is scheduled to be held at Radio City Music Hall in late April, when the draft usually is held.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000204701/article/nfl-union-working-on-deal-to-move-2014-draft-to-may

Krugan
05-20-2013, 08:40 PM
I thought it had something to do with sweeps season.

My thought is they jsut want to **** with things to **** with things, it works everywhere else. :P

Ravage!!!
05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Why pushback the draft?

I heard on the radio that in 2015, they change the FA period...which would mean that FA will hit BEFORE the draft, thus giving the teams (and fans) more insight as to what they need to fill with the draft. Teams and fans will know who they lost, who they picked up, and what they still need BEFORE the draft in May.

I think the main reason is that it just gives the NFL more power to continue to dominate the sports talk. Right now, no NFL talk really, and its all the NBA playoffs. Move the NFL draft to May, and you are once again the TOP talk.

MOtorboat
05-21-2013, 10:37 AM
I heard on the radio that in 2015, they change the FA period...which would mean that FA will hit BEFORE the draft, thus giving the teams (and fans) more insight as to what they need to fill with the draft. Teams and fans will know who they lost, who they picked up, and what they still need BEFORE the draft in May.

I think the main reason is that it just gives the NFL more power to continue to dominate the sports talk. Right now, no NFL talk really, and its all the NBA playoffs. Move the NFL draft to May, and you are once again the TOP talk.

That already happens. League year started on March 12, along with FA. Draft was in April.

Chef Zambini
05-21-2013, 11:54 AM
NBD.
let me know when the NFL puts 30 days in february.

Ravage!!!
05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
That already happens. League year started on March 12, along with FA. Draft was in April.

No. They are changing the order to be completely effective in 2015. If I'm missing specific language I apologize, but it's not going to be the same.

MOtorboat
05-22-2013, 12:13 PM
No. They are changing the order to be completely effective in 2015. If I'm missing specific language I apologize, but it's not going to be the same.

I guess I'm missing your point. Free Agency already is before the draft because it begins at the beginning of the league year, which is in March, what does this change in that regard?

I guess it would start before the COMBINE...and that would change things a little for teams.