TXBRONC
09-04-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13267412

Four turnovers major feast for Broncos
Defense finally piles up opposition's mistakes to end drought
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/04/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

The way the Broncos' starters, offensive and defensive players alike, rushed onto the field to celebrate Darrell Reid's first-quarter interception Thursday night, you would have thought the Broncos had won the Super Bowl.

Considering how long it had been since the Broncos had a takeaway, it probably felt like it.

Reid's interception was the first of four turnovers for the Broncos' defense, and ended a turnover drought that stretched back to the 14th game of the 2008 season.

"I think it was a relief for the entire team," Reid said. "We had been losing the turnover battle for weeks. It felt like it was overdue."

The four turnovers Thursday, compared to just one from the team's offense (on a Tom Brandstater interception), left the Broncos with a turnover margin of minus-5 for the preseason.

"We got them today. It's like we averaged one a game," cornerback Champ Bailey said, with a laugh.

Creating turnovers had been a defensive focus throughout the preseason, so much so that veteran safety Brian Dawkins speculated after Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears that players might be "pushing" too hard.

Not Thursday night. All it looked like was fun, from the starters through the third-stringers in the fourth quarter.

The unit recorded Reid's interception, an interception and fumble recovery by rookie safety David Bruton and an interception by Vernon Fox — as well as three sacks and 14 passes defended. The team had only 13 pass breakups in the first three preseason games. The Broncos, playing in their new 3-4 scheme, finished the preseason with 10 sacks.

"That was a dream game, to get the turnovers and then hold them to a goose egg," Bruton said.

Arizona's three quarterbacks combined to complete only 16-of-41 passes for 193 yards, and the Cardinals rushed for only 68 yards — an average of 3.6 yards per carry.

"We felt better and better about our defense as training camp was going along, as preseason was going along," coach Josh McDaniels said. "There's certainly areas where we can improve, but defensively we've done a decent job against the run and we did another decent job tonight against it. . . . We wanted to be a more physical unit, and I think we're on our way to doing that."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

claymore
09-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Hopefully we can feed on it. I cant wait to watch the game tonight.

Shazam!
09-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Every game was better than the last in preseason. Hopefully this improvement builds leading up to the regular season.

TXBRONC
09-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Every game was better than the last in preseason. Hopefully this improvement builds leading up to the regular season.

I don't quite agree. In my opinion there was a noticeable difference from first three games to this last game. That being said the middle of defense is still a concern because they were inconsistent throughout the preseason.

CoachChaz
09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I dont know that every game as a whole was better than the last, but you can see the areas they focused on and the adjustments and improvements that occured.

claymore
09-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Or we played a real bad team.

Dirk
09-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't quite agree. In my opinion there was a noticeable difference from first three games to this last game. That being said the middle of defense is still a concern because they were inconsistent throughout the preseason.

True but you have to admit there is definately a different attitude in the defense.

As the year progresses I am optimistic that they will not be a basement dwelling defense as years past. :defense:

Dirk
09-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Or we played a real bad team.

You crack me up Clay!! :lol:

Come on bro...just take the positive and not try to put a negative spin on things.

It will help you sleep easier at night! :listen:

T.K.O.
09-04-2009, 10:51 AM
it just figures....the only game so far i could'nt watch and the pitch a shutout !!!!!!!
i said after last week that i saw alot of improvement in the run D and i guess it continues to improve.
that one simple factor could make a HUGE difference in the teams ability to control the clock and give champ and goodman some time to do what they do best.....get picks !!

CLAY, how do you get to watch the game tonight?
i dont see it on my dish schedule til' sunday at 3:00 pm....any help?
:salute:

Kaylore
09-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I like that we don't have a soft team anymore. The defense and special teams are both more physical and clearly improved. Nolan's defenses always produce turnovers and doing so against a super bowl offense is huge. Our rushing offense is better too. Hillis, Buckhalter and Moreno are going to be fun to watch.

outdoor_miner
09-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm for the D... However, they really do look to be much improved. Last year was so so so so so so so so so so so bad. If Nolan can make them average this year, he will have done an amazing job, and we looked at least average throughout the preseason. I think the D will give up some big plays this year. However, I think the days of offenses just marching up the field (and running it down our throats) are over. :pray:

underrated29
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I like that we don't have a soft team anymore. The defense and special teams are both more physical and clearly improved. Nolan's defenses always produce turnovers and doing so against a super bowl offense is huge. Our rushing offense is better too. Hillis, Buckhalter and Moreno are going to be fun to watch.

Im with ya kay.

But the one thing is we only played against that superbowl offense for 1 to 2 series. the rest was backups. Still looked good.

Lonestar
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
boy has the D improved so far I realize it is preseason but for the ,most part we are making stops at or near the LOS not dragging someone down from behind 4-8 yard on our side..

we seem to have a legit pass rush not a great one by OK..

we may have had more sacks in preseason than all of last year..:salute:

but make no mistake there will be FUBARs through out the year and we will learn from it.. we will improve from this point on as folks get used to the scheme and get to know the guy next to him to anticipate his moves..

CoachChaz
09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Why does everyone use "we played backups" as an excuse? This is the NFL. Injuries occur daily. At many points throughout the season, we are going to play games where the backups will be the starters. For us AND our opponents.

NightTrainLayne
09-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Why does everyone use "we played backups" as an excuse? This is the NFL. Injuries occur daily. At many points throughout the season, we are going to play games where the backups will be the starters. For us AND our opponents.

Exactly. I was happy to see our back-ups perform well, even if it was against other back-ups.

In the past few years we've had absolutely no depth at all behind our starters in several area's. . .Heck even our defense had back-ups starting when there weren't any injuries.

So, it's nice to think that we might actually have some quality back-ups, and improved depth on the team.

claymore
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
it just figures....the only game so far i could'nt watch and the pitch a shutout !!!!!!!
i said after last week that i saw alot of improvement in the run D and i guess it continues to improve.
that one simple factor could make a HUGE difference in the teams ability to control the clock and give champ and goodman some time to do what they do best.....get picks !!

CLAY, how do you get to watch the game tonight?
i dont see it on my dish schedule til' sunday at 3:00 pm....any help?
:salute:

I DVR'ed it last night. You can come over to my house its Taco night. Not man taco, but regular ol mexican taco night. :werd:

TXBRONC
09-04-2009, 02:09 PM
True but you have to admit there is definately a different attitude in the defense.

As the year progresses I am optimistic that they will not be a basement dwelling defense as years past. :defense:

Sure there seems to be a different attitude on the defense.

MOtorboat
09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
I DVR'ed it last night. You can come over to my house its Taco night. Not man taco, but regular ol mexican taco night. :werd:

What night is man taco night?

TXBRONC
09-04-2009, 07:15 PM
What night is man taco night?

Do you even know what a man taco is?

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2009, 07:26 PM
One of McDaniels things he said early once he got here is we are going to get tougher and bigger. I believe we have done both ( on defense ).

I think with having a proven leader back there in B Dawk ( and intimidating ) will help improve the D. I know after 2007 we all said it couldn't get much worse, but in 2008 it did. I can honestly say, it can't get much worse than last year.

One more thing on backups.......does anyone remember the 2-3 ( or maybe more ) weeks last year when we had a lot of injuries on D and had our backups in as starters? Larson and a few others brought it and our D was looking good so this whole notion of it was "backups" doesn't fly with me.

TXBRONC
09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
One more thing on backups.......does anyone remember the 2-3 ( or maybe more ) weeks last year when we had a lot of injuries on D and had our backups in as starters? Larson and a few others brought it and our D was looking good so this whole notion of it was "backups" doesn't fly with me.

I don't know where you get that idea because I distinctly remember Larsen and several others that stepped in and were doing a better job than the guys ahead of them. In fact I happened to one those that was in favor having Larsen and few other reverse actually remaining the starters on defense.

NameUsedBefore
09-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Sloppy seconds please. Forgo ordinary double-dipping rules.