PDA

View Full Version : PFF- Von Miller has no weaknesses

BroncoWave
05-16-2013, 02:23 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/16/pass-rusher-profile-von-miller/

Weakness

None

The only category that Miller didn’t rank among the league’s Top 20 in terms of pressure rate this season was at getting unblocked pressure, and when you’re talking about Von Miller that’s hardly a surprise

Across his two seasons in the NFL Miller has recorded only 12 unblocked pressures, which is fewer than Aldon Smith (14) and Calvin Pace (13) recorded this season alone. When you dig further into Miller’s unblocked stats you find that he even makes the most of these rare occasions that he can get at the opposing pass rusher without anyone picking him up. Of those 12 unblocked pressures he has recorded, he failed to turn only one of those into a sack or hit of the opposing quarterback, further illustrating why you just can’t leave Miller unaccounted for in your blocking scheme. In his rookie season Miller converted his six unblocked pressures into five hits and one hurry, while this season he converted six into three hits and three sacks. Miller doesn’t get much of his pass rush for “free” but when he does, he makes you pay in full for not picking him up.

Ziggy
05-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't think that the Broncos have ever had a player with the combination of athletic ability and football acumen that Von has. Hall of fame potential. This year he's coming in at 260. Nasty.

Ravage!!!
05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
That just means he'll make a better MLB once moved there.

chazoe60
05-16-2013, 03:53 PM
I honestly think Von Miller is the best defensive player in the league. The impact he has on oposing teams is amazing. Early in games all teams would try to run at him, by the middle of the second quarter they would abandon the run game to his side almost entirely. He is the most disruptive player I've ever seen in a Bronco's uniform.

OldschoolFreak
05-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Gotta love Prisco...here's his grade on the night of the 2011 draft.

"No. 2: Broncos select: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Grade C

I think they are forcing getting a pass rusher with this pick. He is a little overrated. They should have taken Marcell Dareus."

BroncoWave
05-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Gotta love Prisco...here's his grade on the night of the 2011 draft.

"No. 2: Broncos select: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Grade C

I think they are forcing getting a pass rusher with this pick. He is a little overrated. They should have taken Marcell Dareus."

Several broncos fans were saying the same thing. I'm glad they were wrong.

Rick
05-16-2013, 09:05 PM
I hope the new weight he has put on doesn't effect his quickness and agility.

Jsteve01
05-16-2013, 10:00 PM
I hope the new weight he has put on doesn't effect his quickness and agility.

i hope it does "effect" his quickness and agility. just hope it doesnt affect it negatively....sorry I couldn't resist.

Rick
05-16-2013, 10:44 PM
*smack* :)

Chef Zambini
05-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I honestly think Von Miller is the best defensive player in the league. The impact he has on oposing teams is amazing. Early in games all teams would try to run at him, by the middle of the second quarter they would abandon the run game to his side almost entirely. He is the most disruptive player I've ever seen in a Bronco's uniform.von would tell you its jjwatt.
he is with out a doubt the most disruptive defensive player in the league.

CoachChaz
05-17-2013, 12:32 PM
von would tell you its jjwatt.
he is with out a doubt the most disruptive defensive player in the league.

Von, JJ and Aldon are all friends. All three are humble enough to say the other guys are the best. Doesnt mean shit

broncobryce
05-17-2013, 01:42 PM
I hope Wolfe steps up enough to where Von is not constantly double teamed.

BroncoWave
05-17-2013, 02:05 PM
I hope Wolfe steps up enough to where Von is not constantly double teamed.

Even if Von is constantly double teamed it's still good for our defense. The offense already has to go 10-on-11 since the QB can't account for a defender. If you have 2 guys committed to Von, they they only have 8 guys to account for our other 10 defenders. Still puts our D at an advantage.

Lancane
05-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Miller is certainly the best defensive player we've drafted in three decades, and could well be the best of the all when said and done. But Denver in the 70's and 80's had a plethora of defensive players that should not be discounted so easily, like Simon Fletcher who is Denver's all-time sack leader and Karl Mecklenburg who is second behind Fletcher, not to mention Steve Atwater who may be the most famous defensive player in Broncos history followed by Randy Gradishar, Al Wilson, Tom Jackson and Champ Bailey.

Miller reminds me in a way of Steve Atwater who raised the level of those around him without knowing it, look how Woodyard stepped it up last season and Brooking who was a mere backup veteran looked like a solid starter once more. I expect the same to happen to Irving or Bradley this year and for it to continue to raise the bar for the defense, add in Philips, Wolfe, Vickerson, Knighton, Sly and so forth....yeah, I agree with the article, but he brings more then I think they want to acknowledge as well.

Poet
05-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Hey BTB, I don't mean to hijack your thread. With that being said, I think a QB can account for several defenders. I say that because breaking down the schemes and coverage of the defense let's a QB know where guys are going. Therefore, if he has that knowledge, which a lot of the cerebral guys do, they get to sort of 'cheat'.

BroncoWave
05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey BTB, I don't mean to hijack your thread. With that being said, I think a QB can account for several defenders. I say that because breaking down the schemes and coverage of the defense let's a QB know where guys are going. Therefore, if he has that knowledge, which a lot of the cerebral guys do, they get to sort of 'cheat'.

Looking at it from a simpler POV then, let's say you have 5 DB/LBs on your defense to account for their 5 eligible receivers. That leaves 5 o-linemen to block 6 pass rushers. If you have 2 on Miller, that leaves 3 o-linemen to block the other 5 pass rushers, freeing 2 guys up.

To combat this, offenses have to leave a RB and/or TE in to block, which gives the QB less options on passing plays.

Obviously you would rather have just one blocker on Von so he can wreak havoc, but having him doubled still puts our defense at an advantage on the play.

BroncoWave
05-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Miller is certainly the best defensive player we've drafted in three decades, and could well be the best of the all when said and done. But Denver in the 70's and 80's had a plethora of defensive players that should not be discounted so easily, like Simon Fletcher who is Denver's all-time sack leader and Karl Mecklenburg who is second behind Fletcher, not to mention Steve Atwater who may be the most famous defensive player in Broncos history followed by Randy Gradishar, Al Wilson, Tom Jackson and Champ Bailey.

Miller reminds me in a way of Steve Atwater who raised the level of those around him without knowing it, look how Woodyard stepped it up last season and Brooking who was a mere backup veteran looked like a solid starter once more. I expect the same to happen to Irving or Bradley this year and for it to continue to raise the bar for the defense, add in Philips, Wolfe, Vickerson, Knighton, Sly and so forth....yeah, I agree with the article, but he brings more then I think they want to acknowledge as well.

PFF does their analysis based on measurable productivity. You can't really measure the help he gives other guys on the defense. I wouldn't say it's a missight on their part, it's just not really part of their analysis.

Poet
05-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Looking at it from a simpler POV then, let's say you have 5 DB/LBs on your defense to account for their 5 eligible receivers. That leaves 5 o-linemen to block 6 pass rushers. If you have 2 on Miller, that leaves 3 o-linemen to block the other 5 pass rushers, freeing 2 guys up.

To combat this, offenses have to leave a RB and/or TE in to block, which gives the QB less options on passing plays.

Obviously you would rather have just one blocker on Von so he can wreak havoc, but having him doubled still puts our defense at an advantage on the play.

Oh dude, I'm not debating that at all. It was just a little sidenote about the QB is all.

rationalfan
05-17-2013, 02:27 PM

i'm not trying to step into the realm of sacrilege or simply disagree to disagree, but more and more i'm beginning to think atwater wasn't as good as his reputation. granted, he played a fan-favorite style and because of that might be one of the coolest broncos players ever, but i don't consider him to be a player who elevated those around him.

remember, he played next to dennis smith, who was a better all-around safety than atwater, for his early years. later, he had ray crockett and darrien gordon on the corners. then there were all those guys you mentioned (i still think simon fletcher is the most underrated bronco of the last 30 years). it's not like atwater carried a pack of scrubs on his shoulders to the super bowls.

was he good? yes. would he be as revered if he didn't crush huge running backs on monday night football? probably not.

my point, atwater was a good player. but he's not close to miller in terms of affecting a game or the players around him. miller is a generational player, atwater was just pretty damn cool.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-17-2013, 03:37 PM
i'm not trying to step into the realm of sacrilege or simply disagree to disagree, but more and more i'm beginning to think atwater wasn't as good as his reputation. granted, he played a fan-favorite style and because of that might be one of the coolest broncos players ever, but i don't consider him to be a player who elevated those around him.

remember, he played next to dennis smith, who was a better all-around safety than atwater, for his early years. later, he had ray crockett and darrien gordon on the corners. then there were all those guys you mentioned (i still think simon fletcher is the most underrated bronco of the last 30 years). it's not like atwater carried a pack of scrubs on his shoulders to the super bowls.

was he good? yes. would he be as revered if he didn't crush huge running backs on monday night football? probably not.

my point, atwater was a good player. but he's not close to miller in terms of affecting a game or the players around him. miller is a generational player, atwater was just pretty damn cool.

Crockett and Gordon were decent players, but neither one was a legitimate #1 corner. They just looked good because our corners were so awful for the decade prior to that. If you don't think Atwater had a huge impact in the passing game then you need to go rewatch the SB against GB. I don't think Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman would share your sentiment. The Packer receivers had a case of alligator arms by the end of that game.

nevcraw
05-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Atwater was the defense for several years.. leading the team in tackles in a couple years from a safety position... he put fear in the offense and came around during smith's slide into retirement... If anything atwater has been underrated not the other way around.

broncohead
05-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Crockett and Gordon were decent players, but neither one was a legitimate #1 corner. They just looked good because our corners were so awful for the decade prior to that. If you don't think Atwater had a huge impact in the passing game then you need to go rewatch the SB against GB. I don't think Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman would share your sentiment. The Packer receivers had a case of alligator arms by the end of that game.

Someone said "He knocked everyone out including himself" on one of his big hits in the SB

Ravage!!!
05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Someone said "He knocked everyone out including himself" on one of his big hits in the SB

Thats because he knocked himself and one of our own DBs out of the game.

MOtorboat
05-17-2013, 07:07 PM

And Antonio Freeman.

I think it was the second to last or third to last play of the game.

MOtorboat
05-17-2013, 07:15 PM
He's not overrated though. He averaged more than 100 tackles a season at safety for 10 seasons as a Bronco, caused 29 turnovers and recovered eight fumbles.

Denver had a damn good defense almost the entire time he was there and he was the leader. I don't think Smith was.

Poet
05-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Steve Atwater is a hall of fame player who isn't in the hall of fame. I don't think I could name five better safeties off the top of my head. Ronnie Lott. Ed Reed. Troy P. Lynch, maybe? Perhaps I'm using hyperbole, but I don't think ten finer safeties ever played.

broncohead
05-17-2013, 08:42 PM

Ya I remember watching it as a kid

Lancane
05-17-2013, 09:37 PM

Dennis Smith was a good safety, but at the time Atwater was drafted, Smith was entering his ninth season and would go on to play another five in large part because what Atwater brought to the other position. Steve Atwater was a headhunter, Smith and Atwater would be considered one of the best safety tandems over the next five years. After Smith retired, it was more then evident that Atwater was in a special class of safety, even more so then before. And the notion that Gordon or Crockett were anything more then feesable starters is simply a sad joke. Ask any offensive player during the 90's what defensive player they most feared in the AFC, Atwater would have been named a good seven out of ten times.

Atwater crushed more then running backs, he crushed quarterbacks, tight ends and receivers as well. He was more then cool, he in a lot of ways reminds me of Miller and vice versa, well spoken and cheerful, but on the field they raise the ability of those around them and brought their A game on the field at all times once the uniform was on.

MOtorboat
05-17-2013, 09:45 PM
It's probably between Atwater and Gradishar as the best Broncos first round picks ever...

Lancane
05-17-2013, 09:48 PM
It's probably between Atwater and Gradishar as the best Broncos first round picks ever...

Yeah, because best trade was and will remain John Elway followed by Champ Bailey.

Either or, there is really no bad choice between either Gradishar or Atwater, but it was Atwater who made me give up being an undersized linebacker and switch to safety...he will remain one of my idols.

MOtorboat
05-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah, because best trade was and will remain John Elway followed by Champ Bailey.

Either or, there is really no bad choice between either Gradishar or Atwater, but it was Atwater who made me give up being an undersized linebacker and switch to safety...he will remain one of my idols.

I'll never forget pulling open a pack of football cards as a kid and getting Atwater's rookie card with him in an Arkansas uniform.

Atwater defined the 90s Broncos as much, if not more, than Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe (I know, I know, it's not Elway in my mind...).

Simple Jaded
05-17-2013, 11:25 PM

I was never a huge Atwater fan, I liked enough but he drove me nuts cause he missed a lot of tackles and Int's going for the kill shot.

He had the best game of his life in the SB.

Ravage!!!
05-18-2013, 10:20 AM
He had the best game of his life in the SB.

This is an exaggeration. The SB was a "microcosm" of his career. He DID put the fear into WRs when crossing the middle. Their heads were on swivels and their arms got significantly shorter. I don't agree that the Super Bowl was his best game, but you could see that he was leaving everything on the field.

Ravage!!!
05-18-2013, 10:39 AM
And Antonio Freeman.

I think it was the second to last or third to last play of the game.

Indeed... 36 seconds left. I forgot it was this late in the game

cM0UiDPKN7E

Poet
05-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Yeah, that guy had no timing ability. Complete hack in coverage. /moderately playful sarcasm.

chazoe60
05-18-2013, 01:59 PM
I was never a huge Atwater fan

These words coming from a Bronco fan do not compute. It's like being a Spielberg fan and saying you don't like Jaws.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2013, 03:25 PM
These words coming from a Bronco fan do not compute. It's like being a Spielberg fan and saying you don't like Jaws.

Please, Jaws was so fake. Oh nooos, a 40' shark just jumped onto the back of my 20' boat. Woe is me! Plus, there was no nudity.

1-1/2 Stars outta 5.

Nomad
05-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Please, Jaws was so fake. Oh nooos, a 40' shark just jumped onto the back of my 20' boat. Woe is me! Plus, there was no nudity.

1-1/2 Stars outta 5.

I was a little kid when Jaws came out and that music, when Jaws was about to attack, was etched into my head. It was scary at the time.

Ravage!!!
05-18-2013, 04:01 PM
I was a little kid when Jaws came out and that music, when Jaws was about to attack, was etched into my head. It was scary at the time.

Yeah.. you can see the younger generation rate this movie since they are so used to computerized graphics. Jaws is a CLASSIC movie..a GREAT movie.

Poet
05-18-2013, 04:05 PM
People are forgetting about how revolutionary the camera work in Jaws was. It was a completely different way of making a horror movie. I also think the job the actors did was underrated.

Lancane
05-18-2013, 04:05 PM

1-1/2 Stars outta 5.

Jaded is officially a communist! It's downright Un-American to not like Jaws. And of course the special effects were cheesy, they didn't have the special effects of today. That's like comparing Wizard of Oz to Harry Potter in terms of the effects, at the time though the effects were above average and the storyline which was based on a true story scared the shit out of people.

Simple Jaded
05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
I like the Wizard of Oz slot machine, the old one, not that new POS. Needs more nudity, tho.

broncobryce
05-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Jaded isn't a Broncos fan.

chazoe60
05-18-2013, 09:54 PM

1-1/2 Stars outta 5.

I loathe everything about you. :sad:

Simple Jaded
05-19-2013, 01:13 AM
Jaded isn't a Broncos fan.

God Bless.

Poet
05-19-2013, 01:17 AM
I like the fact that Jaded is jaded against everything. Even himself.

Simple Jaded
05-19-2013, 01:20 AM
I like the fact that Jaded is jaded against everything. Even himself.

I'm very balanced.

atwater27
05-19-2013, 10:21 AM
We'll find out this season if he has any weaknesses with Doom gone.

TXBRONC
05-19-2013, 04:36 PM
We'll find out this season if he has any weaknesses with Doom gone.

If Denver has adequately replaced Dumervil Miller's production shouldn't be effected.

zbeg
05-20-2013, 03:09 AM
It'll be interesting to see him and JJ Watt duke it out for title of "best defensive player in the league" for the next 6-8 years. Round 1 went to Watt. Your move, Von.

Lancane
05-20-2013, 12:15 PM
It'll be interesting to see him and JJ Watt duke it out for title of "best defensive player in the league" for the next 6-8 years. Round 1 went to Watt. Your move, Von.

Actually first round went to Von who beat Watt for Defensive Rookie of the Year, round two went to Watt.

CrazyHorse
05-20-2013, 05:32 PM
Von Miller's weakness: Being held