PDA

View Full Version : Roster Trim Projections

Requiem / The Dagda
09-04-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm not certain as to the number of players Denver needs to cut to get down to 53, but here is the list I have so far. Share your thoughts, comments, etc.

Cuts to 53

QB: Martin

OL: Bryant, McChesney, Oldenburg, Erickson

RB: Thomas

WR: Willis, Swift (Practice Squad), Jackson

DL: Clemons, Pedescleaux (Practice Squad), Askew

LB: Robinson (Practice Squad), Kelley (Practice Squad)

DB: Spann, Moulton (Practice Squad), Carter (Practice Squad), Fox, Bell

Out of those listed, I wonder on Jackson the most because of his knowledge regarding the Patriots system. I think McKinley definitely earned a spot. I think Eddie, Stokes, Gaffney and Marshall are givens. McKinley and Lloyd make up my other guys. I'm not sure we carry seven receivers. If so, Jackson stays.

I'm given Powell the benefit of the doubt, and I don't know why. He hasn't contributed it seems in any reasonable fashion. Maybe his name in place of Clemons or Askew. Who knows?

I also don't know how many players you can P.S.

Fire back!

BroncoBJ
09-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Pretty nice list, Although I hope Oldenburg doesn't get cut just since he played at my HS and his dad was 1 of my coaches. :lol:

Though I think Clemons will make the team or at least a PS. I also think we will cut Branson. And I would say that we cut Lamont but he knows the system and comes from the Pats so we will probably keep him.

Overall though, I agree with it. And Spann looked pretty good out there tonight. Maybe we PS him as well.

We have to cut 22 players though I believe. So it should be interesting.

We'll see. Cant wait til cuts. :rockon:

NameUsedBefore
09-04-2009, 01:57 AM
I predict some will venture into crime, unfortunately. Possibly meet untimely, unwanted ends with or without civilian collateral. Others will venture onto other NFL teams, perhaps coming back to Denver and making the squad on a second try. Some may even meet stardom. A lot will go into the job market and make a living there; a few to be accounted for by the occasional Sports Illustrated article and Rick Reilly talking about lost dreams.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-04-2009, 01:57 AM
I had a tough time cutting Branson just because I'm used to seeing the Broncos carry fifty tight ends each year, and with him we only have four. He's a versatile weapon and can play a few roles. I could see us cutting him in favor of a wide receiver, if we were to keep more than six. Good thoughts, MVP.

BroncoBJ
09-04-2009, 01:59 AM
I had a tough time cutting Branson just because I'm used to seeing the Broncos carry fifty tight ends each year, and with him we only have four. He's a versatile weapon and can play a few roles. I could see us cutting him in favor of a wide receiver, if we were to keep more than six. Good thoughts, MVP.

:lol: Thats exactly what I was thinking as well. I'm use to keeping 3 TE's and then have Nate Jackson and Chad Mustard. But this year with McDaniels will be different IMO.

Instead of keeping 2 QB's like Shanny did. We will have 3. And instead of keeping 4 or 5 TE's we will have 3.

And I also think that we will have 4 RB's on the roster as well. Maybe 5. But yea, I think we will have a lot of WR's and a lot of RB's. And then a bunch of versitle players. We'll see though. :elefant:

Watchthemiddle
09-04-2009, 02:07 AM
So do you see Crowder and Moss making it?

shank
09-04-2009, 02:07 AM
i think 22 players need to be cut to get to 53

shank
09-04-2009, 02:10 AM
i don't see how moss and crowder could both make it...

coach seems to like mario haggan. doom stays, ayers obviously stays, reid stays...

pnbronco
09-04-2009, 02:17 AM
At the end of camp there were 80 players on the roster.

They need to get down to 53 players plus can have a eight-man practice squad (last year I think we had nine because we had that player from Mexico).

Elevation inc
09-04-2009, 02:19 AM
my cuts i think for sure will happen

QB- ingle knocker(lol)
RB- Thomas/Thigpen
WR- Swift(Practice Squad)/Willis/Chad Jackson
TE- Branson(Practice Squad)
OL- Gorin/Oldenburg/Mcheseny

DL- Askew/Powell/Pedelesceaux(Practice Squad)
OLB- Crowder/Lee Robinson(Practice Squad)
ILB- Braxton Kelly(Practice squad)
S- Vernon Fox
CB- Moulton/Bell/Carter/DJ johnson(PS)

thats 21......still confused about some....

Shutdown
09-04-2009, 03:33 AM
After seeing Spann tonight I have a hard time seeing the FO just letting him walk. He played his ass off tonight. He EARNED a spot, IMO.

CoachChaz
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I think Lloyd goes before Jackson...just a hunch

Tned
09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
i don't see how moss and crowder could both make it...

coach seems to like mario haggan. doom stays, ayers obviously stays, reid stays...

Yep. While I think he's on the bubble, I think Moss might have earned himself a spot with last night's play. Even though early camp reports had Crowder playing well, he wasn't pretty much invisible in the games and the later camp reports. I think Crowder is probably cut.

Unless they are worried about Moreno's knee, I don't see them keeping Walker and Jordan, so I think one of them goes, and if Moreno is close to being back, my guess is that Jordan goes and Walker stays. Although, I don't feel confident in that, because I think McDaniels, like NE east, probably likes the stability of veteran running backs more than potential upside and inconsistancy.

broncohead
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
I see McD keeping Jordan because he's another of his guys even though Jordan hasn't done squat in the preseason. Walker is a decent 3 or 4 behind Hillis.

Slick
09-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I think Lloyd goes before Jackson...just a hunch

I agree. I've seen Lloyd make some ridiculous catches over his career, but he doesn't seem to make the routine plays consistently. Jackson has been blocking his ass off.. I think that and his familiarity with McDaniels system gives him the edge.

broncofaninfla
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Yep. While I think he's on the bubble, I think Moss might have earned himself a spot with last night's play. Even though early camp reports had Crowder playing well, he wasn't pretty much invisible in the games and the later camp reports. I think Crowder is probably cut.

Unless they are worried about Moreno's knee, I don't see them keeping Walker and Jordan, so I think one of them goes, and if Moreno is close to being back, my guess is that Jordan goes and Walker stays. Although, I don't feel confident in that, because I think McDaniels, like NE east, probably likes the stability of veteran running backs more than potential upside and inconsistancy.

I agree, I think Moss might have saved himself last night. Best effort as a pro and it came with playing time on the field. that tells me with time he could get better.

Jordan hasn't shown me anything but he knows the offense. It's a coin toss with him and Walker, I hope Walker stays.

Kaylore
09-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I also don't know how many players you can P.S.

Fire back!

8 PS players.

And I don't know what the team will look like. I'm used to Shanahan's depth charts meaning nothing and keeping at least on receiver on the team who does absolutely nothing every year. McDaniels' MO could be completely different.

Traveler
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I haven't looked at the game yet so this is a shot in the dark.

Jordan hasn't really done much to deserve a spot on the roster IMO.

Best guess on who get cut are:

1.Askew
2.Bell
3.Branson
4.Carter
5.Clemons
6.Erickson
7.Fox
8.Gorin
9.DJ Johnson
10.Jordan
11.Kelley
12.Lloyd
13.Martin
14.McChesney
15.Moulton
16.Oldenburg
17.Pedescleaux
18.Powell
19.Robinson
20.Spann
21.Swift
22.Thomas (RB)
23.Willis

Ray Finkle
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
8 PS players.

And I don't know what the team will look like. I'm used to Shanahan's depth charts meaning nothing and keeping at least on receiver on the team who does absolutely nothing every year. McDaniels' MO could be completely different.

YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT I AM CAPABLE OF!

I do...making sandwiches at Subway....

OldschoolFreak
09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I know the cuts are 2pm Saturday but when can teams sign players to the PS?

Traveler
09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I agree, I think Moss might have saved himself last night. Best effort as a pro and it came with playing time on the field. that tells me with time he could get better.

Jordan hasn't shown me anything but he knows the offense. It's a coin toss with him and Walker, I hope Walker stays.

Not sure if Moss saved himself last night moreso than he made it easier to possibly get a pick for him. I still have him making the roster. Still too soon to give up on his talent IMO.

jhildebrand
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I know the cuts are 2pm Saturday but when can teams sign players to the PS?

They have to clear waivers. That was the problem with Domenik Hixon a couple of years ago. Shanahan had thought he would and the Giants snatched him up.

jhildebrand
09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't see how Moss makes this team. It seems like he has been on the outs since J Mc took over.

If Jordan takes a roster spot on this team, it will be very disappointing to say the least. I think he would be this regime's Nate Jackson!

Slick
09-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Has Carlton Powell played at all this preseason?

JDL
09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
My final 53

QB -
1. Orton
2. Simms
3. Brandstater

RB -
4. Moreno
5. C Buck
6. Hillis
7. L. Jordan
8. D. Walker

WR -
9. E. Royal
10. B. Marshall (SUS)
11. J. Gaffney
12. B. Stokely
13. B. Lloyd
14. K. McKinley (has some ability to back up the returner spots and potential)

TE -

15. D. Graham
16. T. Scheffler
17. R. Quinn (Branson to PS)

T -

18. R. Clady
19. R. Harris
20. R. Gorin
21. T. Polumbus (Kept him, because I don't know who else could play LT - really nobody.. Gorin is a RT always has been, Hochstein is more of an interior OL.)

G -

22. C. Kuper
23. B. Hamilton
24. R. Hochstein

C -

25. C. Wiegmann
26. K. Lichtensteiger (Torn about Seth Olsen, seems like a prime target to stash on the PS, if you can get him there... but maybe we keep him and cut KL as I am not too sure the team is high on him.)

DL -

27. Ronald Field
28. Kenny Peterson
29. R. McBean
30. L. Smith
31. C. Baker
32. M. Thomas (Though with Thomas' injuries, it wouldn't surprise me to see Nic Clemons step up, but rarely does the last preseason game sway team's decisions.)

LB -

33. DJ Williams
34. A. Davis
35. E. Dumervil
36. M. Haggan
37. R. Ayers
38. D. Reid
39. W. Woodyard
40. S. Larsen (kept for versatility.)

CB -

41. C Bailey
42. A. Goodman
43. A. Smith
44. J. Williams
45. D. Johnson
46. J. Bell

S -

47. B. Dawkins
48. R. Hill
49. D. McBath
50. D. Bruton

K

51. M. Prater

P

52. B. Kern

LS

53. L. Paxton

Cuts (Practice Squad)

1. T. Carter CB (PS)
2. R. Moulton CB
3. A. Spann DB
4. C. Powell DL (PS)
5. N. Clemons DL
6. E. Pedescleaux DL
7. S. Olsen OG (PS)
8. M. Erickson OG
9. M. McChesney OG
10. L. Robinson LB (PS)
11. B. Kelley LB
12. J. Moss LB
13. T. Crowder LB (very disappointing, but probable it seems)
14. I. Martin QB
15. M. Thomas RB
16. V. Fox S
17. J. Barrett S
18. C. Oldenburg T
19. M. Branson TE (PS)
20. M. Willis WR
21. N. Swith WR (PS)
22. C. Jackson WR

We will probably add a couple others to the PS from other teams - a QB and someone else.

JDL
09-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Thoughts -

I kept D. Walker because while the convential wisdom has been that we keep 4 (along with Larsen as a backup FB.) Walker seems to be worthy of keeping considering the injury problems we've had there. He may get released later on in the season, but he is an inexpensive keep right now.

I have Lloyd making it over Jackson for another vet presence, but the last WR spot probably goes for a young guy to groom and despite his bad hands, McKinley looks like the guy. I am never a fan of guys who struggle with their hands, but he has clearly looked to be the best of the young guys. Swift who was running 2nd team never seems to get separation, but he can work on his routes on the PS.

OL - backup to LT seems to be a real concern and I have us releasing 4th rd pick Olsen which may or may not happen, it wouldn't be a shock to cut a 5th rd pick which he almost was, but he is a solid prospect, problem is that after bringing into two guys that offer a lot of versatility and starting experience as backups, you only have so many roster spots and I felt like we had to keep Polumbus to backup LT and KL was kept because he has more experience backing up both C and G. Hope we don't lose him though.

DL - C. Powell is like a rookie after missing all of last year. I think he has some ability and PS eligibility so I have him being moved to the PS.

LB - J. Moss is really a sure cut imo, it's too bad, but he seems too tall for his own good. Crowder is particularly a tough cut because he can be a decent DL imo, but he doesn't seem to have made an impact this year. L. Robinson has been a pleasant surprise and should be a good candidate for the PS.

DB - I only have us keeping two backup S, but I think a couple of the CBs have that ability. JW and AS are set for sure, but I D. Johnson has played well enough to keep and I'd hate to see us caught with too few Corners considering our dime packages, but Bell was a hard keep, he could easily be cut, but when I got to the end of this roster, I felt like there were more easy cuts than tough ones and so somebody had to stay.

Our roster seems a bit thin right now which I think everyone expected considering the turnover and changes this offseason. It will take another season or two to get to the point where we're really having to make hard decisions on who stays and who doesn't, imo.

BroncoTech
09-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd like to see Askew, Buchhalter and Jordan, gone, poof! There's 2 spots getting rid of running backs that showed us nothing all preseason.

Tned
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Is this Carlton Powell saying he's been cut? He just posted this on Twitter:

@CawsnProblmz Just got sliced like a bagel...man it's a long walk home...

underrated29
09-04-2009, 03:13 PM
askew, lichtensieger, rb marcus thomas, lee robinson all just got cut

yes powell did get cut too.

Gimpygod
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Judging solely on the sound of his name, I believe Matthias askew is going to eat some tea and crumpets while hatching a plan to finally get rid of Sherlock Holmes.... unless he makes the roster.

rcsodak
09-05-2009, 01:13 PM
So do you see Crowder and Moss making it?

dream is linked to crowder by the ubilical cord, wtm. :D Too much vested in him.

I think everybody knows he's a gonner.

Moss? He might have saved himself after his game vs AZ. But he may also have played good enough to highlite his play for a late round trade to a 43 team?

I hope they PS (which is 8) Powell, and give him another year to heal up and ready himself for the NT.

broncohead
09-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Jordan should have gone before Walker imo.

Traveler
09-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Take a flyer on Cato June anyone? Reached injury settlement with the Texans. Forearm injury.

Traveler
09-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Jordan should have gone before Walker imo.

I didn't like either of them.

broncohead
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
I didn't like either of them.

I don't care for either but Jordan is fat and slow. He just knows the system and thats it.

Traveler
09-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't care for either but Jordan is fat and slow. He just knows the system and thats it.

Tha's all well and good. Makes no difference (guess it does since he didn't get cut) if you don't add much to the team. He looked slow and was injured most of the time. Might as well have kept Walker or Torain.

Kaylore
09-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Not sure if this was posted. Crowder is gone and Jarvis Moss is in.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13277671

Lonestar
09-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Not sure if this was posted. Crowder is gone and Jarvis Moss is in.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13277671

for the lazy and incompetent

Crowder cut, Moss stays for Broncos
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/05/2009 02:32:46 PM MDT
Updated: 09/05/2009 04:50:14 PM MDT

Jarvis Moss (Denver Post file photo)Two years ago, the Broncos used their top two draft picks on Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder with the hopes the two defensive ends would energize the team's pass rush.

For the 2009 season, both players were converted to outside linebacker, likely competing with each other for a roster spot.

Today, Crowder was cut.

Moss, meanwhile was told he made the 53-man roster.

Crowder, the second-round pick in 2007, failed to turn into a dominant pass rusher in two seasons in a 4-3 defense under Mike Shanahan, and the new coaching staff apparently determined he wasn't a fit for a their new 3-4 scheme as well.

Crowder could not be reached for comment today.

Moss, too, has struggled at times through his first

Moss briefly left training camp in early August to deal with some personal issues but said he was committed to football when he returned.

Moss may have swayed coaches with his play Thursday in the final preseason game. He had four total tackles, including a sack and a tackle for a loss, a forced fumble and two pass breakups. He said after the game he wasn't worried about his roster status.

"I got to play more tonight. I wasn't just coming out there when the game was over with," Moss said Thursday. "I actually got to be in situations - third downs, second downs, looking at the sticks, getting the calls out there. I just tried to adapt to it as best I could."

The team might have had a financial incentive to keep Moss, who has $1.96 million guaranteed over the next three seasons remaining from his rookie contract.

Moss still is behind Elvis Dumervil, Mario Haggan, Darrell Reid and rookie Robert Ayers at outside linebacker.