PDA

View Full Version : Who was the most important Bronco

Bronco Bible
09-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I just wanted to see who people thought the most important Bronco in the teams history was? Elway,Davis,Little or anyone else. Please post your opinion & why.

TXBRONC
09-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Pat Bowlen and the owner of the team when it was founded, unfortunately I can't remember his name.

topscribe
09-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Regarding players, I believe it was The Franchise, Floyd Little. Were it not for
him, the Denver Broncos would be the Whatevers from another town. Denver
yet today would probably be bidding for a franchise. That's how desperate
we were when Floyd came onto the scene.

-----

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-02-2007, 11:04 AM
I think of my time it was Elway hes the reason the Broncos are what they are as with Pat Bowlen as TX said
I think for the next group of little Bronco fans it will be Champ Bailey and Jay Cutler

Skinny
09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I have a couple choices here because i really don't think you can narrow it down to just 1 person/player.

I'll take Top's and TX's word for it regarding Floyd Little and the owner who brought a NFL franchise to Denver along with Bowlen. Because i don't go that far back (age).

But even then and from those points on it's been all about the fans. The only reason there ever was a team in Denver and a team remains in Denver is because of people like ourselves who have a love and passion for Denver Bronco football.

No fans, no Denver Bronco football.

Ask the Cleveland Browns,Baltimore Colts,Houston Oilers, Los Angelas Rams, Etc....fans. They can tell you who the most important person to a franchise is.

:first:<-- Remember, "This ones for John!"

:second:<-- And "This one's for YOU!"

DenBronx
09-02-2007, 02:15 PM
is this really a debate? elway of course

Tned
09-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I came to the Broncos in the early years of the Elway era, so I have no context for what came before.

In the Elway era, it is hard to call anyone's name other than Elway. However, I am not sure the team wins the two SBs wihout TD. So, what is more important to the franchise, the face of the franchise, one of the greatest QBs of all time, or the two SB wins?

topscribe
09-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I came to the Broncos in the early years of the Elway era, so I have no context for what came before.

In the Elway era, it is hard to call anyone's name other than Elway. However, I am not sure the team wins the two SBs wihout TD. So, what is more important to the franchise, the face of the franchise, one of the greatest QBs of all time, or the two SB wins?
I would think all three criteria would point toward Elway, wouldn't they? :first:

-----

Tned
09-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I would think all three criteria would point toward Elway, wouldn't they? :first:

-----

I suppose that is true. The team likely doesn't win two SBs with Davis and not Elway.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Top, wouldn't you say that Little is the reason the Broncos are still the Denver Broncos?

Might have to go to little big man, #44. :first:

Bronco Bible
09-02-2007, 02:49 PM
I suppose that is true. The team likely doesn't win two SBs with Davis and not Elway.

True Tned but the team is not in Denver if not for Little.:first:IMO

topscribe
09-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Among Gilchrist, Little, and Armstrong, we have had some great RBs without
winning a Super Bowl. The only time we ever GOT there was behind a
superlative QB (including Morton, 1977). Therefore, in the post-Little era, it
has to be Elway.

-----

topscribe
09-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Top, wouldn't you say that Little is the reason the Broncos are still the Denver Broncos?

Might have to go to little big man, #44. :first:
Yes, that's what I said. :beer:

-----

Tned
09-02-2007, 03:06 PM
True Tned but the team is not in Denver if not for Little.:first:IMO

A couple of you have said this. Unfortunately, my Broncos knowledge prior to '85 is pretty much non-existant. What is the story of Little and staying in Denver?

Bronco Bible
09-03-2007, 08:54 AM
A couple of you have said this. Unfortunately, my Broncos knowledge prior to '85 is pretty much non-existant. What is the story of Little and staying in Denver?

Floyd was the first #1 draft pick the Broncos could ever sign & the IMO the lone reason the Broncos stayed in Denver, when Floyd came to town the organization(if you want to call it that)had poor attendance and not much of a following. Little was the man. they went on a tour of surrounding states trying to drum up a fan base , without Floyd it would not be possible he did alot of charity work in Denver not to mention the fact he was a gifted runner
that did not have the benefit of a 'good' o-line Icould go on & on but this is the most imortant player in Denver Bronco history with a close 2nd to John Elway.:first:

Nomad
09-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Regarding players, I believe it was The Franchise, Floyd Little. Were it not for
him, the Denver Broncos would be the Whatevers from another town. Denver
yet today would probably be bidding for a franchise. That's how desperate
we were when Floyd came onto the scene.

-----

For me, I don't recall the BRONCOS before John Elway, but I wish I could have watched Floyd Little and co. The same is said for my sons they ask a million questions about John Elway but never watched him play and my oldest was 2 when he retired. I guess I'll have to get the BRONCOS history cd!

East Coast Fan
09-03-2007, 05:26 PM
This is a good, tough question. Floyd saved the team as had been mentioned before. Elway was there for 16 years, and you just got so used to counting on him to lead the team every year, and they were super-competitive in those years save for a few "off" seasons. T.D. came along and provided what was missing from the team to FINALLY win it all. I'd have to say that it's either #44 or #7 ranked 1-2, (almost interchangeable), and then #30 ranked third. Very debatable question! :confused: :salute:

Lonestar
09-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Pat Bowlen and the owner of the team when it was founded, unfortunately I can't remember his name.

Gerald Phipps and his brother. Ran out of money, had a construction company.

I remember having to do a pledge drive for season tickets or they were gonna fold or move.

While Little gave the franchise some legitimacy, that was about all it was.

One also has to say if it were not for Joe Willy. I doubt there would have been a AFC for much longer than it was. While not a Bronco he had a huge impact on the upcoming merger. Without the merger no Superbowl.

The orange crush Defense had a huge impact also.

East Coast Fan
09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
The orange crush Defense had a huge impact also.

Very good point that no one else thought of! :salute:

Rick
09-04-2007, 08:34 PM
It is just one player, but I can't go with just one. Sorry, you will live :)

Without Elway there would not have been 2 superbowl wins but likewise no Davis no superbowl wins.

So live with it, I am saying both :)