PDA

View Full Version : Broncos bringing in Charles Woodson

SR
05-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Per Vic Lombardi's Twitter

@VicLombardi 8m Got a great scoop today. Broncos continue to make aggressive moves toward a Super Bowl, kicking the tires on Charles Woodson tomorrow.

@VicLombardi 7m Woodson expected to visit the Broncos soon, possibly this week.

@VicLombardi 6m I'm thinking they see Woodson in a dual role safety/corner.

underrated29
05-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Could be good but who do we cut...

Assuming we carry 10dbs...

1. champ (lock)
2. drc (lock)
3. harris (lock)
4. k-dub ( I had to) (lock)
5. bolden
6. tony c
7. Rahim (lock)
8. Mike adams
9. David Bruton (ST Demon- he is a lock)
10. Quentin Carter
11. Woodson

My guess would be that one of the carters gets the axe. Is the Saftey Quentin carter? That last name doesnt sound right? Or do we roll with 11 Dbs and cut one short on a position like FB? Using virgil green and that other DT who caught a TD as the FB/swing?

CoachChaz
05-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Adams only has a year left. He and/or QC can go

SR
05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
If this does happen, I don't see Mike Adams being let go. I don't see Tony Carter being let go, but with the emergence of Chris Harris and the signing of DRC, it could be possible.

Personally, I like our DB situation the way it is now. I wouldn't be upset at bringing Woodson in as long as it's not at the expense of one of our young guys like Harris, Tony Carter, or David Bruton.

CoachChaz
05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
If this does happen, I don't see Mike Adams being let go. I don't see Tony Carter being let go, but with the emergence of Chris Harris and the signing of DRC, it could be possible.

Personally, I like our DB situation the way it is now. I wouldn't be upset at bringing Woodson in as long as it's not at the expense of one of our young guys like Harris, Tony Carter, or David Bruton.

Those 3 contribute too much to be let go.

UnderArmour
05-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Both Carters are on bubble. Tony Carter played well last year as a reserve but we are grooming Boldin to become the guy who takes over when either DRC or Champ leaves or is injured. Q Carter is gone because his role of pushing Rahim has passed. He got arrested and was injured last year, he won't make final roster without an injury. Woodson would get extensive playing time for us, but I expect great things from Rahim that will make him impossible to keep off the field. Woodson would be a great guy to have on the roster though because for all of Champ's experience and leadership, hearing the same things from the same voice grows real old real quickly, HOFer or not.

He'll be a versatile backup/role player that can play outside, inside, or backfield. Love it(if he signs).

Northman
05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
I dont think Tony is going anywhere. He's contributed more than Boldin right now defensively so i dont see him going. Quintin? Maybe. But again still young so im not sure they are ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Ravage!!!
05-14-2013, 10:48 AM
what I really want to know... is Zam's thoughts on this.

shank
05-14-2013, 10:52 AM
what I really want to know... is Zam's thoughts on this.

WHate ver is most controLverTial!..

MOtorboat
05-14-2013, 10:59 AM
Interesting. If he signs maybe those clamoring for a corner to be turned into a safety purely for sport would shut up? Nah, probably not.

UnderArmour
05-14-2013, 11:00 AM
I dont think Tony is going anywhere. He's contributed more than Boldin right now defensively so i dont see him going. Quintin? Maybe. But again still young so im not sure they are ready to throw in the towel just yet.

In an ideal situation, we can trade off guys like Mays, Kuper, and Tony Carter that are going to face heavy camp competitions where they have to absolutely dominate to get a starting spot/role carved for them. But it's extremely telling we took another CB with Carter, Boldin, DRC, Champ, and Chris Harris.

broncohead
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
I think he comes in and plays safety. Q carter is questionable Adams was serviceable so I think one of them could get the axe. Burton is our special teams guy so I don't see him going anywhere

MOtorboat
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
In an ideal situation, we can trade off guys like Mays, Kuper, and Tony Carter that are going to face heavy camp competitions where they have to absolutely dominate to get a starting spot/role carved for them. But it's extremely telling we took another CB with Carter, Boldin, DRC, Champ, and Chris Harris.

Those three players have no trade value. Maybe Carter, maybe.

HammeredOut
05-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Interesting. If he signs maybe those clamoring for a corner to be turned into a safety purely for sport would shut up? Nah, probably not.

This Woodson news is old. Elway was suppose to sign him a while ago. It seems Woodson now knows he is going to finish out his career at safety. Nobody was buying the "Im a starting CB" statement from Woodson. I think he signs with Denver.

Buff
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Adams was quietly very effective last year. We don't have enough safety depth to let him go. It's put up or shut up time for Quinton Carter.

broncofaninfla
05-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I doubt we cut a young guy to bring Woodson in so like the consensus I think Adams or Q Carter could be replaced. Adams was solid last year but Woodson would still be an upgrade both skill wise and for his leadership. I'd say Q Carter has peaked as a player leaving very little upside. Woodson would bring a lot of versatilty to the DB's which could be huge if we have injuries there this season.

LTC Pain
05-14-2013, 12:15 PM
If Woodson signs he will play safety and T. Carter gets the axe (or traded). I like Bolden for the future and Q. Carter showed enough before he got hurt.

Unless Zam thinks we should move Woodson to RB :confused:

VonDoom
05-14-2013, 12:20 PM
I've wanted Woodson for a while, so I'm glad to see some movement on this. If he can cover TE's (and I think he still can), that will be a big boost to one of the weakest parts of this defense.

CoachChaz
05-14-2013, 12:26 PM
I was already excited about the versatility of this defense. Signing Woodson just makes it that much better

Denver Native (Carol)
05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

Second that. Urlacher ain't happening. Woodson very possible.

gary miller ‏@thegarymiller

Bronco sources say forget about report out of Chicago about interest in Urlacher. There isn't any. No interest. No contact. End of story.

SR
05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
This Woodson news is old. Elway was suppose to sign him a while ago. It seems Woodson now knows he is going to finish out his career at safety. Nobody was buying the "Im a starting CB" statement from Woodson. I think he signs with Denver.

That's why it was less than ten minutes old on the twitter feed when I posted it.

Ravage!!!
05-14-2013, 01:03 PM
I don't think Woodson makes the roster if we bring him in.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-14-2013, 01:09 PM
I don't remember any one locally reporting in the past that Elway wanted to bring in Woodson - nothing in print either in DP or someone on twitter, four local news stations, different sports talk shows on radio. Guess I could have missed it.

weazel
05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
does this mean they aren't signing Tebow and moving him to safety?

MOtorboat
05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
That's why it was less than ten minutes old on the twitter feed when I posted it.

People always confuse actual talks versus players they want or twitter rumors.

Remember how everyone wanted Curtis Lofton last year (and that wasn't unique to Broncos fans)? Well, there was zero interest shown from either party in coming to Denver (he really only had interest in two teams, Atlanta and New Orleans), but now we hear "we should have had Lofton." Well, no, we shouldn't have because neither party showed interest...people confuse that stuff. Maybe not the same exact situation here, but similar.

SR
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
I don't think Woodson makes the roster if we bring him in.

You think it'll be like Jerry Rice was?

SR
05-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't remember any one locally reporting in the past that Elway wanted to bring in Woodson - nothing in print either in DP or someone on twitter, four local news stations, different sports talk shows on radio. Guess I could have missed it.

I remember reading something about the possibility of Denver being interested in a thing on ESPN Insider by Bill Williamson, but them bringing Woodson in for a visit is certainly new news as of six minutes before I posted the tweets.

SR
05-14-2013, 01:46 PM
@AdamSchefter 58s Former Packers S Charles Woodson is scheduled to arrive in Denver today and visit with the Broncos on Wednesday

I'm sure this is old news, but I felt compelled.

broncofaninfla
05-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Klis is reporting it on Twitter

SR
05-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Klis is reporting it on Twitter

She was responding to HammeredOut's claims that this was old news.

rationalfan
05-14-2013, 02:48 PM
two things:
- why cut a Dback if woodson comes in. it's a passing league, why not trim from another position (fullback, LB, etc.)?
- i'm so glad this isn't a thread about backup QBs.

TXBRONC
05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure how Woodson really makes the defense better. What I see adding another player and possibly let go of younger who still has chance to develop.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Good. I've been hoping for Woodson.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure how Woodson really makes the defense better. What I see adding another player and possibly let go of younger who still has chance to develop.

Like who? Mike Adams? You don't know who they'll cut, if anyone.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
C'mon, people. Q Carter is 25 years old. He's not done. He hasn't peaked. Give him a break.

I read Woodson has an offer from Oakland. Hopefully he's smarter than that.

UnderArmour
05-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Rahim Moore was developing last year and we all saw how that turned out with the season on the line. Developing players are great to have on your roster, but a mix of veterans are needed for the sense of urgency they bring to the field and instill in those developing players. Manning doesn't have much time left, we need to win -now- and we need the guys we have to develop quicker. Mental mistakes can't happen. Veterans like Woodson are the way to do that and cut down mistakes all across the board.

SR
05-14-2013, 03:48 PM
C'mon, people. Q Carter is 25 years old. He's not done. He hasn't peaked. Give him a break.

Maybe they could move him to safety. Wait. Shit.

TXBRONC
05-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I doubt we cut a young guy to bring Woodson in so like the consensus I think Adams or Q Carter could be replaced. Adams was solid last year but Woodson would still be an upgrade both skill wise and for his leadership. I'd say Q Carter has peaked as a player leaving very little upside. Woodson would bring a lot of versatilty to the DB's which could be huge if we have injuries there this season.

How can that be Carter was on the IR for all of last season?

TXBRONC
05-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Like who? Mike Adams? You don't know who they'll cut, if anyone.

I said possibly cut a young player and I don't see how Adams counts as a young player. It's common sense someone would get and it doesn't nessarily mean someone in the defensive backfield although that seems the most likely.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 04:16 PM
I can't believe you guys are reading Tweet, letting the media tell you what to think.

Btw, "@MaseDenver: Not necessarily. MT @Heyward4MVP: (If Denver signs Woodson) One of adams/quinton carter/tony carter would probably be let go."

CoachChaz
05-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Adams is gone after this year anyway.

SR
05-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I can't believe you guys are reading Tweet, letting the media tell you what to think.

Btw, "@MaseDenver: Not necessarily. MT @Heyward4MVP: (If Denver signs Woodson) One of adams/quinton carter/tony carter would probably be let go."

Mike Adams would be my choice.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 04:27 PM
I say we cut a different position and keep DBs.

CoachChaz
05-14-2013, 04:29 PM
I say we cut a different position and keep DBs.

I dont know. Barring injury, I just dont see 11 DB's seeing playing time.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 04:36 PM
I dont know. Barring injury, I just dont see 11 DB's seeing playing time.

I think "barring injury" is the key. Champ, Adams, Woodson would be fairly old. QCarter just got off the IR. Bruton is mostly special teams anyway. We use a lot of DBs. I do think if a DB gets cut, it's Mike Adams. He played well, imo. But I think he will be the odd man out because of age.

TXBRONC
05-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Ok how is what Mason said definite? I never said it was definite I was concerned that younger could be let go. IIRC Denver carried a total of ten defensive backs so now will carry eleven or twelve? You mentioned cutting from some other position which one/ones?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson

Charles Woodson's agent Carl Poston also told me the #Raiders just sent him an initial offer for Woodson as well.
Retweeted by Adam Schefter

So - appears the minute it was out that Woodson would visit the Broncos, the Raiders did this

Ravage!!!
05-14-2013, 05:09 PM
it wouldn't bother me to see him go to the Raiders.

Magnificent Seven
05-14-2013, 05:15 PM
it wouldn't bother me to see him go to the Raiders.

Woodson will get owned by Manning if Raiders got Woodson.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Ok how is what Mason said definite? I never said it was definite I was concerned that younger could be let go. IIRC Denver carried a total of ten defensive backs so now will carry eleven or twelve? You mentioned cutting from some other position which one/ones?

I never said his words were gold. I just posted his opinion. Nothing is definite.

MLB
TE
RB
P

TXBRONC
05-14-2013, 07:24 PM
I never said his words were gold. I just posted his opinion. Nothing is definite.

MLB
TE
RB
P

No problem.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-14-2013, 07:36 PM
from article:

Broncos front-office boss John Elway told 5,000 season ticket-holders in a call last week that he felt good about the safety position but didn't close the door on adding another veteran at the position.

A season ticket holder asked Elway why safety wasn't addressed in the draft, and Elway replied that Adams and Rahim Moore, whose big blunder led to Denver's loss to Baltimore in the playoffs, were still the starters.

''Safety-wise, we feel pretty good,'' Elway said. ''I think everyone is going to have their difference of opinions on what they think we need, but we did the best we could with what we thought were the most important needs for us. But we're always looking, and we're not totally done with anything.

''We're always looking to improve our team, and if there's a safety or somebody we see out there that can help us, then I think we do something there.''

full article - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/woodson-set-visit-broncos-235625705--nfl.html

ShaneFalco
05-15-2013, 12:31 AM
please bring woodson here! would be awesome. Love the guy and his attitude towards the game. Would bring an extra vet presence we lost with Dawkins.

I would rather broncos trade for my man Jairus Byrd! but Woodson will do!

CrazyHorse
05-15-2013, 07:20 AM
Can he play safety? Jk Maybe he can take Rahim Moore's spot so we don't allow miracle plays in the 4th quarter.

TXBRONC
05-15-2013, 08:54 AM
I doubt he would be brought in to replace Moore. I don't think getting older in the secondary is wise. I honestly do not see how he would make this team better. Besides that he's missed 10 games in last two years so chance of him breaking down seem like there is pretty good chance he'll break down at some point in the year.

CoachChaz
05-15-2013, 09:37 AM
I doubt he would be brought in to replace Moore. I don't think getting older in the secondary is wise. I honestly do not see how he would make this team better. Besides that he's missed 10 games in last two years so chance of him breaking down seem like there is pretty good chance he'll break down at some point in the year.

I wouldnt worry too much. I seriously doubt he sees more than 40-50% of the defensive plays, so his injury opportunities will be limited. Right now, he has a choice. Get that much playing time for a contender, or maybe get even less playing for a bad team. The Raiders seem committed to rebuilding, so I dont know how much time he'll see on the field ahead of their youngsters

SR
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
Can he play safety? Jk Maybe he can take Rahim Moore's spot so we don't allow miracle plays in the 4th quarter.

Uhh...he played FS for GB last year...

LTC Pain
05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson

Charles Woodson's agent Carl Poston also told me the #Raiders just sent him an initial offer for Woodson as well.
Retweeted by Adam Schefter

So - appears the minute it was out that Woodson would visit the Broncos, the Raiders did this

Sorry Carol but f**k the Raiders! Ah, I feel better already :)

TXBRONC
05-15-2013, 10:05 AM
I wouldnt worry too much. I seriously doubt he sees more than 40-50% of the defensive plays, so his injury opportunities will be limited. Right now, he has a choice. Get that much playing time for a contender, or maybe get even less playing for a bad team. The Raiders seem committed to rebuilding, so I dont know how much time he'll see on the field ahead of their youngsters

I'm to Mile High Sports right now that seems to be the way they look at it. I hardly ever agree with Mark Kiszla but the point he makes is that we already have a lot of age on the team. Some people have said he brings veteran leadership but we're not in any way lacking veteran leadership and especially at the most important position quaterback.

I'm not worried because our defense is still going to be good maybe even great but I do think valid point for discussion. At the end of today there is a good chance he'll be a Denver Bronco and if that should come to pass so be it.

SR
05-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm to Mile High Sports right now that seems to be the way they look at it. I hardly ever agree with Mark Kiszla but the point he makes is that we already have a lot of age on the team. Some people have said he brings veteran leadership but we're not in any way lacking veteran leadership and especially at the most important position quaterback.

I'm not worried because our defense is still going to be good maybe even great but I do think valid point for discussion. At the end of today there is a good chance he'll be a Denver Bronco and if that should come to pass so be it.

There are absolutely no negatives to signing Charles Woodson.

broncofaninfla
05-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Does anybody know what time he'll be meeting with the Broncos brass today?

SR
05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Probably right now

chazoe60
05-15-2013, 01:03 PM
I just saw him at DIA. He said "no deal, I'm going to Oakland". I then punched him in the lips.

SR
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
I just saw him at DIA. He said "no deal, I'm going to Oakland". I then punched him in the lips.

LMAO...nice.

TXBRONC
05-15-2013, 01:58 PM
There are absolutely no negatives to signing Charles Woodson.

Ok but I don't agree not when we're talking about guy 30 plus years of age and who missed 10 games in the last two years. Chaz could be right that he won't play more than 40%-50% which would cut down the chances but how much so impossible to know.

If Elway signs him so be it and I'll root for him.

cmc0605
05-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Ok but I don't agree not when we're talking about guy 30 plus years of age and who missed 10 games in the last two years. Chaz could be right that he won't play more than 40%-50% which would cut down the chances but how much so impossible to know.

If Elway signs him so be it and I'll root for him.

This is a non-issue in my opinion, because there wouldn't be a whole lot of risk in going to get him. If we were spending a lot of money, or expecting him to be a starter for the next 5 years, etc, then you're certainly correct. But more than likely he'll be there for low-cost, and come in to play situational scenarios, and provide a veteran voice for the younger guys in the secondary. Thus, even if he goes down or can't finish the season, it won't really hurt. So I agree there's not much downside here.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Charles Woodson is meeting Wednesday afternoon with Broncos coaches, personnel and a few players at the team's Dove Valley headquarters.

Although the Oakland Raiders and Carolina Panthers also are interested in signing the versatile defensive back, the Broncos likely are the leading candidate for Woodson because they have the best chance to win a Super Bowl this season.

An opportunity to win a second Super Bowl ring, not money, is the primary objective for Woodson, who turns 37 in October.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23250480/charles-woodson-meeting-broncos-defensive-back-has-other

Last night, Vic said that Woodson was already in town, and spent the night dining with some of the Bronco coaches. Vic did not say, but I am guessing they dined at "Elway's".

slim
05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Left Denver without a contract.

I guess we'll see if he is more interested in money or in winning.

BroncoWave
05-15-2013, 06:19 PM
I hope we bring him in. I've always been a fan of his.

TXBRONC
05-15-2013, 06:22 PM
This is a non-issue in my opinion, because there wouldn't be a whole lot of risk in going to get him. If we were spending a lot of money, or expecting him to be a starter for the next 5 years, etc, then you're certainly correct. But more than likely he'll be there for low-cost, and come in to play situational scenarios, and provide a veteran voice for the younger guys in the secondary. Thus, even if he goes down or can't finish the season, it won't really hurt. So I agree there's not much downside here.

We're not bereft of veteran leadership in the secondary so I don't buy into that as reason to bring him in. The assumption of low is warranted because of how Elway has handled the money of bring in veterans. Like someone once said they good teams don't overpay for talent. But as far as what his role will be that's to hard to know. If he is expected to start then a lot will be riding on him. I hope Chaz is right about what they're expecting from Woodson but that is yet to be determined.

SR
05-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Could just be that he is considering all options. He's not classless so I imagine he'll hear Carolina and Oakland out before making a decision. Obviously Denver is most poised for a Super Bowl run, but we'll see what happens. Could also be possible he isn't looking for spot work and wants to be a starter...Denver may not be the place for him in that case. But at this point in his career you gotta think it would be pointless for him to go to a team that has no shot at winning soon...unless he is just after money.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

Charles Woodson has left Broncos' facility without a deal. Doesn't mean the two sides are not negotiating.

RT @DJHaVoK58: what the likely hood Woodson signs with Denver-->>>gonna put that likelihood at 61.47% (no clue). he wants a 2-yr deal.

Magnificent Seven
05-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Free agent Charles Woodson spent the day at Dove Valley meeting with Denver Broncos brass, but no deal was reached. Instead, Woodson left the Broncos headquarters late Wednesday afternoon without a contract, the Denver Post reported.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000202088/article/charles-woodson-reportedly-leaves-denver-without-deal

SR
05-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Doesn't mean they're not negotiating...

tomjonesrocks
05-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Cut. Rahim.

Jsteve01
05-15-2013, 11:44 PM
right cut one of pro football focus' top safeties vs first down and touchdowns allowed. Great call

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/30/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-safeties/

the only downside to signing woodson is that it has to mean you cut Adams, and if you sign him for spot duty it also means you better damn well be sure Carter is ready to start. The huge upside to Woodson is as a ball hawking situational player who can help vs the TE and to force INTs

SR
05-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Cut. Rahim.

That would be the second dumbest thing they could do...and they won't cut Rahim Moore. Why? Because he's still developing and had a pretty good year last year minus the play against BAL.

SR
05-16-2013, 08:15 AM
right cut one of pro football focus' top safeties vs first down and touchdowns allowed. Great call

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/30/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-safeties/

the only downside to signing woodson is that it has to mean you cut Adams, and if you sign him for spot duty it also means you better damn well be sure Carter is ready to start. The huge upside to Woodson is as a ball hawking situational player who can help vs the TE and to force INTs

I don't think they'd cut Adams either, especially if they bring Woodson in as a situational player. Adams is cheap and would be insurance...to cut him makes no sense. It would make more sense to cut someone that isn't a starter...but not Tony Carter. That rhymed.

TXBRONC
05-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Where are you getting the idea that Woodson would only be situational player? I haven't seen anything that would indicate what his role be on the team.

SR
05-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Where are you getting the idea that Woodson would only be situational player? I haven't seen anythig that what his role be on the team.

I never said he would be...I said "if".

turftoad
05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm on the fence on this one. I like Woodson and think he'd help for a year. He is 37yrs old. I'd hate to have to cut an up and commer to reserve a roster spot for Woodson because you still have build for the future.
I know we are setting ourselves up to be Superbowl bound and Manning only has so much time.

We also need to think about post Manning, Champ and Woodson (if we do sign him).

SR
05-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Here's one for the "move Champ to safety" crowd.

Maybe they're bringing Woodson in the help Champ transition to safety?! BWWWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ;) Just kidding.

Ravage!!!
05-16-2013, 09:45 AM
I honestly don't think we sign him.

SR
05-16-2013, 09:47 AM
I honestly don't think we sign him.

Doesn't matter to me. If Denver does sign him, I think he would be a solid addition. If they don't, I'm totally content with our current secondary.

TXBRONC
05-16-2013, 10:00 AM
I never said he would be...I said "if".

It's just a general question and others have echoed a similar thoughts.

BroncoJoe
05-16-2013, 10:01 AM
It's just general question and others have echo a similar thoughts.

It's not hard to make that leap when you're talking about a 36 year old defensive player.

TXBRONC
05-16-2013, 10:04 AM
I'm on the fence on this one. I like Woodson and think he'd help for a year. He is 37yrs old. I'd hate to have to cut an up and commer to reserve a roster spot for Woodson because you still have build for the future.
I know we are setting ourselves up to be Superbowl bound and Manning only has so much time.

We also need to think about post Manning, Champ and Woodson (if we do sign him).

That's one of my concerns. There are only 53 spots on the roster someone would be bumped and it's seems that the most likely place is the secondary because I don't see Denver carrying 12 defensive backs.

Ravage!!!
05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Ok.. I think Woodson signs with Denver (yes, have changed my mind). I can see us signing him to test his skills and see if we can improve our turnover ratio. We'll know in training camps and early practices if he actually adds something to packages that would provide benefit to have him on field over other times. I don't see him being on the field in ALL situations, but can see certain dime packages that could use a ball hawk.

slim
05-16-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't understand why people care who he would replace. The best players will make the team. Should it be any other way?

Chef Zambini
05-16-2013, 11:28 AM
I would be thrilled to have woodsen as our safety.
we could move him to safety and nobody would argue.

Chef Zambini
05-16-2013, 11:34 AM

We also need to think about post Manning, Champ and Woodson (if we do sign him).we cannot dilute our " WIN NOW" mentality!
PFM has a 2 year window at best, a third year if we are lucky!
the broncos are paying 20 large a year to keep that window open, lets do all we can in those 2 years to make the most of them.
Neal Smith was not a long term commitment either, woodsen will make a greater impact than smith.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Charles Woodson left Denver without a contract from the Broncos, but the free-agent defensive back hasn't exhausted all his suitors.

ESPN's Josina Anderson was told Thursday by Woodson's agent, Carl Poston, that the New York Giants "have just put their toe in the water again."

Anderson added the Giants are not a new team that "entered the mix" for Woodson during his stay with the Broncos. The Giants reportedly were one of a handful of clubs that showed interest in the 36-year-old back in March.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000202125/article/charles-woodson-draws-interest-from-new-york-giants

SR
05-16-2013, 12:53 PM
I would be thrilled to have woodsen as our safety.
we could move him to safety and nobody would argue.

It wouldn't be "moving him to safety". He IS a safety. He played SAFETY last year for GB.

Lancane
05-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Doesn't matter now, but I find it funny that he still hasn't accepted Oakland's offer.

broncofaninfla
05-16-2013, 01:41 PM
According to PFT it looks like it's down to the Broncos, Raiders, Panthers and now Giants. I'd like to get him, feel he is an upgrade over Adams and love his versitility but don't want Denver to over pay. Fingers crossed though........

Magnificent Seven
05-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Woodson is doing what Peyton Manning was doing in off season '12. Visiting teams and choose a team to play for.

Jsteve01
05-16-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't understand why people care who he would replace. The best players will make the team. Should it be any other way? I get that slim, but my concern is that he's shown a tendency to wear down hence, my assertion that if you sign him it should be as a situational and not an every down player. I want Charles to be healthy enough to make an impact in the post season and that's the goal.

MOtorboat
05-16-2013, 11:19 PM
I get that slim, but my concern is that he's shown a tendency to wear down hence, my assertion that if you sign him it should be as a situational and not an every down player. I want Charles to be healthy enough to make an impact in the post season and that's the goal.

He missed three games in seven years before the broken clavicle, care to explain the "wear down" comment? Breaking a bone isn't "wearing down."

Dapper Dan
05-16-2013, 11:35 PM
He missed three games in seven years before the broken clavicle, care to explain the "wear down" comment? Breaking a bone isn't "wearing down."

Using the argument, thank Allah we got rid of Dumervil when we did. Dude was worn down, compared to Woodson.

People freak out when a player all of a sudden misses time at an older age. Could you imagine if Peyton Manning missed an entire season in his mid-thirties?

Hell, apparently QCarter has already hit his peak at 24 because he missed a season.

MOtorboat
05-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Using the argument, thank Allah we got rid of Dumervil when we did. Dude was worn down, compared to Woodson.

People freak out when a player all of a sudden misses time at an older age. Could you imagine if Peyton Manning missed an entire season in his mid-thirties?

Hell, apparently QCarter has already hit his peak at 24 because he missed a season.

There's a complete difference between "wearing down" and suffering a severe injury. If a guy suffers leg injuries every year and misses four or five games each year, that's wearing down, but a broken clavicle could never be categorized as wearing down.

SR
05-17-2013, 10:44 AM
I saw on twitter this morning that Denver did make Woodson an offer but it didn't say the term or dollar amount and I can't find anything else about it. I think it was on @RapSheet or Albert Breer but I can't remember.

SR
05-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Here it is

@RapSheet: Charles Woodson update, via agent Carl Poston. He plans on visiting #Raiders on Tuesday. He received an offer from #Broncos, is still open

Chef Zambini
05-17-2013, 11:21 AM
It wouldn't be "moving him to safety". He IS a safety. He played SAFETY last year for GB.duh.

Chef Zambini
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
I am betting on JFE reeling in this fish if he wants it!
otherwise its "catch and release" and on to other, more critical catch.

SR
05-17-2013, 01:01 PM
duh.

Then why would you say "move him to safety"?

SR
05-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I am betting on JFE reeling in this fish if he wants it!
otherwise its "catch and release" and on to other, more critical catch.

That was a really, really shitty metaphor.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
NFL.com reports the Denver Broncos have offered safety Charles Woodson a contract, but will likely need to up the offer. Next week, Woodson is planning to visit Oakland, where he spent the first eight years of his career.

I would be surprised if the Raiders engage in a bidding war. They have not done so this offseason as they have begun to rebuild their roster.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/58573/report-denver-offers-woodson-deal

SR
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
@PostBroncos 32m Charles Woodson to visit with Raiders on Tuesday

Ravage!!!
05-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Charles is going to try and have it appear that he's going to the highest bidder, but I think that it comes down to who is best suited for a Super Bowl run. The Giants are obviously contenders, but I would think that Denver has to appear to be the favorites.

SR
05-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Charles is going to try and have it appear that he's going to the highest bidder, but I think that it comes down to who is best suited for a Super Bowl run. The Giants are obviously contenders, but I would think that Denver has to appear to be the favorites.

I think he is just making sure he gives everyone a chance to be honest.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Although they were met with a contractual stiff-arm, the Broncos remain in play for the services of veteran defensive back Charles Woodson.

Initial negotiations that wrapped up Woodson's visit to the team's Dove Valley headquarters Wednesday hit a snag, enough for the 2009 NFL defensive player of the year to hold off on making a commitment.

So Woodson remains a free agent in no particular rush.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23271021/veteran-db-charles-woodson-no-hurry-sign-but

also, video on link, plus a few other things besides Woodson

LTC Pain
05-21-2013, 09:16 PM
PFT is reporting Woodson signed with the Raiders. We go with what we got!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/21/charles-woodson-returns-to-the-raiders/

ShaneFalco
05-21-2013, 09:22 PM
gross, should have offered more. dont like broncos safeties much

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Charles Woodson's NFL career has come full circle.

The veteran defensive back signed a one-year contract with the Oakland Raiders on Tuesday, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported, reuniting him with the team that selected him in the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft.

The deal came together quickly after Woodson met with team officials on Tuesday. Raiders fans had mobilized at team headquarters to welcome Woodson, who was a standout cornerback for the Raiders from 1998 to 2005. Woodson is a seven-time All-Pro who won Defensive Player of the Year honors with the Green Bay Packers in 2009.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205259/article/charles-woodson-oakland-raiders-strike-contract

chazoe60
05-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Apparently winning wasn't high on his list of priorities.

Dapper Dan
05-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Loser.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2013, 09:42 PM

If a crap company offered to double your salary, would you do it? I can't blame the guy for chasing the paper. It is what it is.

700k guaranteed. 4.3million max. Chuck Woodbis playing out the string.

Woodson wanted a 2-yr deal out of the Broncos. He settled for a 1-yr deal with Raiders. Money almost always > winning.

VonDoom
05-21-2013, 09:51 PM
What was Denver's offer? Because he only got one year anyway, and the Raiders aren't going anywhere in one year.

Davii
05-21-2013, 09:59 PM
What was Denver's offer? Because he only got one year anyway, and the Raiders aren't going anywhere in one year.

Doesn't matter. He was offered a chance to finish his career where he started it, is making a good salary, owns a home in Oakland already, owns a winery in Napa Valley, etc.

If winning were his concern he'd be here, obviously Denver would've had to overpay for his services.

VonDoom
05-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Doesn't matter. He was offered a chance to finish his career where he started it, is making a good salary, owns a home in Oakland already, owns a winery in Napa Valley, etc.

If winning were his concern he'd be here, obviously Denver would've had to overpay for his services.

I get that. I'm just thinking that all we heard during this process was that he wanted a second year, and apparently even Oakland wouldn't give it to him. I thought he would have been a good fit here, but I can't get that upset if the guy wants to take his money and hang out on his winery.

I do lol at the fans hanging out at the team facility, dressed in costume, urging him to come back home. What a bunch of losers. :lol:

Davii
05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
I get that. I'm just thinking that all we heard during this process was that he wanted a second year, and apparently even Oakland wouldn't give it to him. I thought he would have been a good fit here, but I can't get that upset if the guy wants to take his money and hang out on his winery.

I do lol at the fans hanging out at the team facility, dressed in costume, urging him to come back home. What a bunch of losers. :lol:

I think something similar went on when Shannon Sharpe was leaving Baltimore....

I agree completely, Raiders fans (with the POSSIBLE exception of DevilSpawn) are complete losers. But not for wanting a good former player to return, just for being Raider fans.

Devilspawn
05-21-2013, 10:35 PM
I think something similar went on when Shannon Sharpe was leaving Baltimore....

I agree completely, Raiders fans (with the POSSIBLE exception of DevilSpawn) are complete losers. But not for wanting a good former player to return, just for being Raider fans.
Possible?? Eh I'll take it.

I know you didn't forgot the Champ Bailey rally. Granted you don't have a gorilla in a top hat going to every game, but we weren't the first to rally for a player outside of headquarters.

Devilspawn
05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Not much of a difference for us in the win column, but it's good to have him back to hopefully mentor Hayden.

topscribe
05-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Possible?? Eh I'll take it.

I know you didn't forgot the Champ Bailey rally. Granted you don't have a gorilla in a top hat going to every game, but we weren't the first to rally for a player outside of headquarters.
DS, my friend, if Woodson were still playing on Champ's level, he would still be with Green Bay . . .

Davii
05-21-2013, 10:42 PM
DS, my friend, if Woodson were still playing on Champ's level, he would still be with Green Bay . . .

If he EVER played on Champ's level he wouldn't have ever left the Raiders in the first place.

Devilspawn
05-21-2013, 10:44 PM
He was hurt for the better part of last year, which is why the incentive for the contract is to play 12 games. I'm not saying he's the Woodson of 2009 or even 2011 but he's better than what we have had since Asomugha had everyone fooled.

topscribe
05-21-2013, 10:45 PM
If he EVER played on Champ's level he wouldn't have ever left the Raiders in the first place.
Woodson was pretty good. I don't think that was a reflection of his playing level.
It was called Al Davis . . .

Devilspawn
05-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Woodson was pretty good. I don't think that was a reflection of his playing level.
It was called Al Davis . . .
Not in this case. It was Bill Callahan and Woodson himself. Too long a story but it started in the Superbowl with Callahan and other things with Woodson himself, who has matured. Old people mature, isn't that right, Top. ;) :D

topscribe
05-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Not in this case. It was Bill Callahan and Woodson himself. Too long a story but it started in the Superbowl with Callahan and other things with Woodson himself, who has matured. Old people mature, isn't that right, Top. ;) :D
Some of us do. As for me, I refuse to grow up. :D

Obviously, I don't know much about Woodson's story. All I know is that I was
very glad he vacated the Division . . . and joined my second favorite team . . .

VonDoom
05-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Not much of a difference for us in the win column, but it's good to have him back to hopefully mentor Hayden.

First, I'm not usually the gross generalization, name calling kind of fan, and I probably shouldn't have lumped all Raider fans together. My apologies.

In any case, is the Raider perspective that he'll help with the younger guys, as you state here? Will his very presence help ticket sales? Because otherwise I'm not sure why they wanted him - even if he's good this year, the team won't be, and then he'll likely retire. Is it worth forking over some money to get him at this point? Or are you just happy that he's not joining the Broncos?

LTC Pain
05-22-2013, 07:43 AM

I heard on KRDO radio this morning that the Broncos offered Woodson a 1 year deal for $3.7M. No mention of guaranteed money or incentive levels. Screw him, he's a Raider now.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

What price winning? Broncos 1-yr offer was $3.7 mil w/incentives. ESPN reports Woodson got $4.3 max with Raiders. http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/05/21/more-money-lures-charles-woodson-to-raiders/19895/ …

Devilspawn
05-22-2013, 10:02 AM
First, I'm not usually the gross generalization, name calling kind of fan, and I probably shouldn't have lumped all Raider fans together. My apologies.
Don't sweat it, we get it all the time. After you experience my buddy OR, it'll become a reflex reaction that needs no apology. :lol:

In any case, is the Raider perspective that he'll help with the younger guys, as you state here? Will his very presence help ticket sales? Because otherwise I'm not sure why they wanted him - even if he's good this year, the team won't be, and then he'll likely retire. Is it worth forking over some money to get him at this point? Or are you just happy that he's not joining the Broncos?
Ticket sales, probably. Fan morale is more like it. Franchise has been dog shit collectively for 10 years, having a Hall of Fame veteran presence even at his stage gives us a little hope for the future for the rest of the young defense. How it plays out will show us what this move means, assuming he's healthy. I don't think he'll have a major impact, maybe an extra game in the win column to keep us from drafting Jadaveon Clowney.

Nastalgia. Aside from the two kickers, he was the last link to the Superbowl run. It's the reason a lot were willing (unfairly) to dump Dennis Allen over Gruden this time last year. As a fan myself, Woodson was one of only 3 players I ever rooted for on other teams with championship runs, the other two being from Marcus Allen and a little known baseball player named Roy Smalley. So there is still some attachment there, from a LOT of fans.

About the Denver move, definitely true because of the rivalry. Would've been the same with the Chiefs and Chargers, maybe Denver more because they have the best shot the next few years. The feeling didn't grow until this rally happened. If he saw the rally yesterday, waved from a distance but left to go to Denver, the murder rate in Oakland goes up by 23%. I know you have a list of certain players that should never put on the Silver & Black after playing with Denver, and we have that same list, as do all fans.

I don't think Woodson's presence gives us more than 6 wins, it all depends on the quarterbacks. He will get beat on plays, he will make plays, but he will be a locker room leader. He may not even stay healthy. We don't have that guy anywhere on the team. Not even close. We don't even have a solid face of the franchise. That's where we are, dumping all of the old furniture out of the house while sitting on boxes waiting for the new furniture.

VonDoom
05-22-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't think he'll have a major impact, maybe an extra game in the win column to keep us from drafting Jadaveon Clowney.

This actually makes me feel better about the situation - thanks! :D

Chef Zambini
05-22-2013, 10:22 AM
devilspawn, nice post.
Woodsen can help the raiders on the field, but his greatest impact is just returning to the team.
The PR is far more important to the woeful raider franchise.
WOODSEN would be turning his back on a chance to earn a ring to instead jump on to a burning ship and try to put out the fire.
The silver and black nation would adore his loyalty.
off topic-
\"spawn, its great to have a raider fan with some rational sensabilities join our discussions.
We used to have a poster, 'autumn Wind" , a raider fan, in the military, may have been a chick.
her abrubt end of transmition, uncomfortable.
Have you come across autumn wind in your silver and black correspondenses?

TXBRONC
05-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Don't sweat it, we get it all the time. After you experience my buddy OR, it'll become a reflex reaction that needs no apology. :lol:

Ticket sales, probably. Fan morale is more like it. Franchise has been dog shit collectively for 10 years, having a Hall of Fame veteran presence even at his stage gives us a little hope for the future for the rest of the young defense. How it plays out will show us what this move means, assuming he's healthy. I don't think he'll have a major impact, maybe an extra game in the win column to keep us from drafting Jadaveon Clowney.

Nastalgia. Aside from the two kickers, he was the last link to the Superbowl run. It's the reason a lot were willing (unfairly) to dump Dennis Allen over Gruden this time last year. As a fan myself, Woodson was one of only 3 players I ever rooted for on other teams with championship runs, the other two being from Marcus Allen and a little known baseball player named Roy Smalley. So there is still some attachment there, from a LOT of fans.

About the Denver move, definitely true because of the rivalry. Would've been the same with the Chiefs and Chargers, maybe Denver more because they have the best shot the next few years. The feeling didn't grow until this rally happened. If he saw the rally yesterday, waved from a distance but left to go to Denver, the murder rate in Oakland goes up by 23%. I know you have a list of certain players that should never put on the Silver & Black after playing with Denver, and we have that same list, as do all fans.

I don't think Woodson's presence gives us more than 6 wins, it all depends on the quarterbacks. He will get beat on plays, he will make plays, but he will be a locker room leader. He may not even stay healthy. We don't have that guy anywhere on the team. Not even close. We don't even have a solid face of the franchise. That's where we are, dumping all of the old furniture out of the house while sitting on boxes waiting for the new furniture.

As I said before good for the Raiders. He'll be helpful as long as he stays healthy but Denver not signing him doesn't hurt them.

Devilspawn
05-22-2013, 10:35 AM
This actually makes me feel better about the situation - thanks! :D
Ha. Damn. :(

devilspawn, nice post.
Woodsen can help the raiders on the field, but his greatest impact is just returning to the team.
The PR is far more important to the woeful raider franchise.
WOODSEN would be turning his back on a chance to earn a ring to instead jump on to a burning ship and try to put out the fire.
The silver and black nation would adore his loyalty.
off topic-
\"spawn, its great to have a raider fan with some rational sensabilities join our discussions.
We used to have a poster, 'autumn Wind" , a raider fan, in the military, may have been a chick.
her abrubt end of transmition, uncomfortable.
Have you come across autumn wind in your silver and black correspondenses?
I have met 17 autumn winds so I'm sure we've crossed webs at one point.

Chef Zambini
05-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Ha. Damn. :(

I have met 17 autumn winds so I'm sure we've crossed webs at one point.Do you recall one in the military activly deployed?
Just hoping this particular autumn wind is still blowing.

Devilspawn
05-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Do you recall one in the military activly deployed?
Just hoping this particular autumn wind is still blowing.
Thanks, Chef. Unfortunately I do not know but I can ask around.

topscribe
05-22-2013, 11:35 AM

OR is your buddy? Wow, talk about Abbot & Costello! :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-28-2013, 10:22 PM

Woodson saying he wasn't happy with the "business side" in Denver. Just say you wanter more cash. No harm in that. http://on.nfl.com/10G55eX

cmc0605
05-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Woodson saying he wasn't happy with the "business side" in Denver. Just say you wanter more cash. No harm in that. http://on.nfl.com/10G55eX

I agree. It doesn't make much sense to me either. I understand people that want to get the big bucks if they are young, don't have a name and suddenly had a breakout year, are a free agent in their third season, etc. But Charles Woodson is set for life. He can walk into a place and get paid for it. It seems like winning would be the way to go out, even if you already did it before. I'm not normally so naive to think most players would give up millions just to win, but in this case, it says a lot about a player.

As an aside, it sounds like he'll have a tough enough time getting his desired number in Oakland vs. Tracy Porter...imagine him trying to take #24 here.

I hope the "warm welcome" from the Oakland fans was worth it.

Chef Zambini
05-29-2013, 06:13 AM
he will be a hero in oak town, whatever that is worth.
once he retires in 3 years, his loyalty will easily be rewarded with another ten year gig.