PDA

View Full Version : Broncos bring back Alex Gibbs as offensive line consultant

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
It never did seem like the Broncos allowed the media to influence their decisions.

That's abundantly clear now that the team has brought back Alex Gibbs as an offensive line consultant.

"He'll be a good resource," said Broncos coach John Fox. "I know from competing against (Gibbs) over the years that he can help us out."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23227637/broncos-bring-back-alex-gibbs-offensive-line-consultant

IMO, this is a great move. Gibbs was outstanding when he was with the Broncos before

SR
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Holy left field batman!

MOtorboat
05-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Holy left field batman!

No kidding, and here I thought they were trying to move away from the ZBS...this is quite the interesting develoment, IMO.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2013, 03:23 PM
from article:

Gibbs, 72, was considered the brains behind the Broncos' famed zone-blocking, one-cut running game when he served as the team's offensive line coach from 1995-2003.

The Broncos got away from the zone scheme in 2009 when Josh McDaniels brought in more of a power-blocking style. But it appears there will be a little more zone-blocking, one-cut style in the Broncos' offense this season after the team added three people who are steeped in the scheme — Gibbs, quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp and running back Montee Ball.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23227637/broncos-bring-back-alex-gibbs-offensive-line-consultant

Canmore
05-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I love this move.

SR
05-12-2013, 03:27 PM
No kidding, and here I thought they were trying to move away from the ZBS...this is quite the interesting develoment, IMO.

Peyton Manning with all of his weapons with a new toy in Ball plus now maybe some ZBS should have the rest of the NFL a little nervous if you ask me.

Rick
05-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Best move of the off season.

TXBRONC
05-12-2013, 03:29 PM
I agree with the sentiments so far, I like this move.

chazoe60
05-12-2013, 03:29 PM
"You got the big guy on skates!!!!!!!"

MOtorboat
05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
from article:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23227637/broncos-bring-back-alex-gibbs-offensive-line-consultant

See, people say that about Wisconsin backs, but every time I watch a Wisconsin game they are running strictly Power O, over and over and over and over...

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis

But when Broncos did run the zone scheme, they want to be better than they've been the past 4 years.

Despite additions of Greg Knapp (QB coach) Alex Gibbs (OL consultant) RB Montee Ball, Broncos won't become full-time zone team.

Dapper Dan
05-12-2013, 03:46 PM
This is awesome. I wish he had never left.

Superchop 7
05-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Excuse me media.....we love Alex.....guy is awesome.

gregbroncs
05-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Hip Hip Hooray! I love this. Welcome back Alex.

NightTrainLayne
05-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Montee Ball + Alex Gibbs = Rookie of the year.

Skinny
05-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Did anyone else have a 90s flashback when they read this? Good times man, good times.

Can't see anything wrong with bringing in one of the greatest OL coaches to ever coach in for a little consultation. And to rip on some RBs nuts... :lol:

Great hire.

Dapper Dan
05-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Montee Ball + Alex Gibbs = Rookie of the year.

I think Gibbs lost his eligibility for RotY

dogfish
05-13-2013, 12:54 AM

john elway. . . knows shit about football!

dogfish
05-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Did anyone else have a 90s flashback when they read this? Good times man, good times.

Can't see anything wrong with bringing in one of the greatest OL coaches to ever coach in for a little consultation. And to rip on some RBs nuts... :lol:

Great hire.

damn right. . . he and bobby turner were the behind-the-scenes architects of our championship teams. . .

i couldn't love this move any more, gibbs is a freaking beast. . . when he went to atlanta, they lead the league in rushing-- yea, vick was a big part of it, but they were also crushin' it with warrick dunn and TJ duckett. . . gibbs went to seattle for a year or two, and put down the roots of a running game that's grown into one of the best in the league. . . the guy is a winner, and a fantastic teacher. . . he demands accountability. . .

it's awesome to have him home where he belongs. . . i didn't see it coming, but i'm not surprised that he'd come back now that the duke is running the show. . .

dogfish
05-13-2013, 01:00 AM

Great hire.

damn right. . . he and bobby turner were the behind-the-scenes architects of our championship teams. . .

i couldn't love this move any more, gibbs is a freaking beast. . . when he went to atlanta, they lead the league in rushing-- yea, vick was a big part of it, but they were also crushin' it with warrick dunn and TJ duckett. . . gibbs went to seattle for a year or two, and put down the roots of a running game that's grown into one of the best in the league. . . the guy is a winner, and a fantastic teacher. . . he demands accountability. . .

it's awesome to have him home where he belongs. . . i didn't see it coming, but i'm not surprised that he'd come back now that the duke is running the show. . .

Lancane
05-13-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm as glad as anyone else that Gibbs has decided to return, never thought it would happen after the fallout between him and Shanahan. However, not to burst anyone's bubble, but did only a handful of us actually read the entire article? The Zone Blocking Scheme is not returning, Denver plans to remain mostly a power blocking offense which uses a fraction of the zone. He's not the new offensive line coach, he's simply an advisor who will work with the young lineman Denver has, which will be interesting to say the least. When I first read the headline I was like 'damn' here comes the Zone again, but then I read the entirety of it and realized that it isn't so, no matter though, because just the idea that he's advising these young offensive linemen makes me believe that he will help them improve immensely overall.

Dapper Dan
05-13-2013, 02:10 AM
I'm as glad as anyone else that Gibbs has decided to return, never thought it would happen after the fallout between him and Shanahan. However, not to burst anyone's bubble, but did only a handful of us actually read the entire article? The Zone Blocking Scheme is not returning, Denver plans to remain mostly a power blocking offense which uses a fraction of the zone. He's not the new offensive line coach, he's simply an advisor who will work with the young lineman Denver has, which will be interesting to say the least. When I first read the headline I was like 'damn' here comes the Zone again, but then I read the entirety of it and realized that it isn't so, no matter though, because just the idea that he's advising these young offensive linemen makes me believe that he will help them improve immensely overall.

This.

I was wondering why people were asking about the ZBS. I'm like you. The guy is smart. I think as a consultant/advisor, he will be able to help out our young guys. It's always good to have these familiar names back.

FanInAZ
05-13-2013, 02:25 AM
Talk about getting the band back together! Maybe we can bring in TD, Rod Smith, Sharpe & Atwater as consultants as well. Too bad Shanny & Kubiak already have other gigs.

broncofaninfla
05-13-2013, 07:52 AM
KInda shocked to hear this but excited at the same time. Our running game was at it's best under Gibbs so I'm hoping history repeats itself without sacrificing our power running game.

EastCoastBronco
05-13-2013, 08:39 AM
"That's why I want him cut. Cut the mother*&#$%$ down...."
This is great news.

TXBRONC
05-13-2013, 08:50 AM

I didn't get feel for it one way or the other and that's after reading entire article. We've always said listen what the coach and front but pay attention more attention to what they do. The fact that Elway and Fox bring in guy who built his reputation off teaching lineman the zone scheme probably says something.

Lancane
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
I didn't get feel for it one way or the other and that's after reading entire article. We've always said listen what the coach and front but pay attention more attention to what they do. The fact that Elway and Fox bring in guy who built his reputation off teaching lineman the zone scheme probably says something.

Really TX? Despite the article all but confirming it? Oh, and Bill Williamson of ESPN, for what it's worth said much the same. Not to mention that Coach Magz has coached the ZBS before and has worked with Gibbs previously, so it's not like he was needed in order to switch to the zone. So beyond the article it's rather easy to deduce that the Broncos plan to remain a power blocking offensive line with a smattering of the ZBS tossed in...or, and I am just saying this is a possibility, or Gibbs and Coach Magz are going to create an all new blocking scheme, a 50-50 hybrid, which has never really found success or a foothold in the NFL due to that lack of success. New England tried to create something similar and ended up being more zone for awhile, McDaniels tried to create something similar here and it failed, Miami even tried and it ended up being a bust for the Dolphins. And usually when you have two good minds at a position or in a coordination and advisory position or whatnot, that's when new schemes are created, such as the West Coast Offense and so forth. It's worth thinking about, but I for one tend to take what is coming out of Dove Valley pretty much verbatim and quite literally have found them to be more straightforward in what they have to say then other regimes and pro organizations thus far.

Ravage!!!
05-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Yeah.. I read it. But we don't know how much is or is NOT going to be implimented. Point is, when we do to help the running game, it will HELP the running game. His insight and experience, alone, in achieving running attacks is what we are looking for.

Lancane
05-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Yeah.. I read it. But we don't know how much is or is NOT going to be implimented. Point is, when we do to help the running game, it will HELP the running game. His insight and experience, alone, in achieving running attacks is what we are looking for.

You have a point, we don't know what will be implemented, if anything will be. According to the media the Broncos brought him in strictly as an advisor for the younger offensive lineman? That could mean all of them or just the first and second year kids, it's left open to interpretation. However, the article did emphasize that Denver who has become a power blocking offense and use some of the zone blocking scheme would however remain pretty much intact. Now, if that would have been left out of the articles then I would say that you are probably spot on, but I tend to believe that the assuredness of the articles would only have been done so with some level of confirmation, that is my opinion at least Rav, I could be wrong though.

Ravage!!!
05-13-2013, 12:26 PM
You have a point, we don't know what will be implemented, if anything will be. According to the media the Broncos brought him in strictly as an advisor for the younger offensive lineman? That could mean all of them or just the first and second year kids, it's left open to interpretation. However, the article did emphasize that Denver who has become a power blocking offense and use some of the zone blocking scheme would however remain pretty much intact. Now, if that would have been left out of the articles then I would say that you are probably spot on, but I tend to believe that the assuredness of the articles would only have been done so with some level of confirmation, that is my opinion at least Rav, I could be wrong though.

I guess. I just don't take ANY article as being "assured" on anything...especially at this point of the season. They don't know what will happen, what won't, or what will change between now and then.

Chef Zambini
05-13-2013, 01:31 PM
gibbs, turner and KUBIAK the unsung heros and true archetects of the winning football during the shanny regime.
shanny was always just a figurehead with a forte for the passing attack.
BRAVO JFE for 'getting the band back together"

Northman
05-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Im really happy about this.

Northman
05-13-2013, 01:39 PM
he's advising these young offensive linemen makes me believe that he will help them improve immensely overall.

Thats all that really matters to me. The guy can motivate an Oline. This is great for the Broncos.

broncohead
05-13-2013, 01:47 PM
gibbs, turner and KUBIAK the unsung heros and true archetects of the winning football during the shanny regime.

I guess he's still a figurehead then huh?

Chef Zambini
05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I guess he's still a figurehead then huh?shanny?
absolutely !
he hires OTHER COACHES and they do it all while shanny plays golf.
shanny has NEVER , EVER, coached any other position than WR and QB.
he has been an OC and a HC.
he has NEVER, ever coached any element of defense or special teams.
he has NEVER coached O line or TE, for a very short period he was called the RB coach at NAU, he called a game , with that title and not one single run play for the entire game..
Shanny, is, was and always will be a pass guru, a pass junkie.
Read his own book.

MOtorboat
05-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Oh dear...

Please, can no one tell Zam that Fox has never coached offense in his life...

:rolleyes:

Pretty much goes for almost every head coach in the league, lol. Hell, the Super Bowl winning coach has never coached anything except SPECIAL TEAMS...

TXBRONC
05-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Really TX? Despite the article all but confirming it? Oh, and Bill Williamson of ESPN, for what it's worth said much the same. Not to mention that Coach Magz has coached the ZBS before and has worked with Gibbs previously, so it's not like he was needed in order to switch to the zone. So beyond the article it's rather easy to deduce that the Broncos plan to remain a power blocking offensive line with a smattering of the ZBS tossed in...or, and I am just saying this is a possibility, or Gibbs and Coach Magz are going to create an all new blocking scheme, a 50-50 hybrid, which has never really found success or a foothold in the NFL due to that lack of success. New England tried to create something similar and ended up being more zone for awhile, McDaniels tried to create something similar here and it failed, Miami even tried and it ended up being a bust for the Dolphins. And usually when you have two good minds at a position or in a coordination and advisory position or whatnot, that's when new schemes are created, such as the West Coast Offense and so forth. It's worth thinking about, but I for one tend to take what is coming out of Dove Valley pretty much verbatim and quite literally have found them to be more straightforward in what they have to say then other regimes and pro organizations thus far.

Maybe I just missed it but from what I remember reading it really what Gibbs would be doing. We know he's there to consult on what? His reputation was built on zone blocking it seems reasonable that he might be advising on what he knows best. I'm not saying this an indication of some major shift in scheme but he's here for some reason and given his background something is up.

Dapper Dan
05-13-2013, 06:20 PM

Let me guess, Turner is the reason for the Redskins running success last season? Holy shit. Does Shanahan have to coach a team with zero coaches under him to get any credit?

broncohead
05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
shanny?
absolutely !
he hires OTHER COACHES and they do it all while shanny plays golf.
shanny has NEVER , EVER, coached any other position than WR and QB.
he has been an OC and a HC.
he has NEVER, ever coached any element of defense or special teams.
he has NEVER coached O line or TE, for a very short period he was called the RB coach at NAU, he called a game , with that title and not one single run play for the entire game..
Shanny, is, was and always will be a pass guru, a pass junkie.
Read his own book.

Well whatever he is doing (or isn't) he's been doing a good job at it.

MOtorboat
05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Let me guess, Turner is the reason for the Redskins running success last season? Holy shit. Does Shanahan have to coach a team with zero coaches under him to get any credit?

Yes...

Zam has an authority complex. Anyone in a position of authority, he automatically hates.

Simple Jaded
05-13-2013, 07:26 PM
I had a feeling this Zone was in the works during the draft, I hope it's not a full commitment to the ZBS that Gibbs likes.

Magnificent Seven
05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Welcome Back, Alex Gibbs

Ravage!!!
05-13-2013, 10:12 PM
I hope Fox hires other coaches to coach the positions rather than trying to do it all himself. That would be pretty stupid for a HC to do.

WARHORSE
05-13-2013, 10:17 PM
John Elway is not pulling punches.

The best offense is the offense that can do it all.

So when we ZONE BLOCK, he brings in Gibbs to say, "We'll be the best ZBing offensive line in the league."

Gibbs is the fishizzle when it comes to zone blocking above and beyond all others.

When we power block, we have a line that can power block too.

Thing is, looks like we are bringing back the stretch zone pitch run to Denver, and Money Ball is going to run it.

Look out people. BJE is on a mission.

tomjonesrocks
05-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Making moves, making moves

Aside from the Doom fiasco (which still stings) it's hard to argue with this offseason. Just a team pulling out the stops.

Superchop 7
05-13-2013, 11:01 PM
I am glad he is back, but that chalkboard speech is not the same ol Alex.

He seems to be having trouble postulating his views.

I think the Broncos should look into it.

Dapper Dan
05-14-2013, 12:00 AM
There's already a Gibbs thread.

Timmy!
05-14-2013, 12:04 AM
There's already a Gibbs thread.

Its controlled by the media and the Broncos though.

Northman
05-14-2013, 05:25 AM
Whether the game has passed Shanny by or not, either love him or hate him he still is the only HC to bring 2 world championships to Denver. If he is overrated than i guess Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, Bill Walsh, etc are overrated too. Every coach, player, GM, etc plays a part when you try to win a title. Its about being healthy, having chemistry, good drafting/free agent pickups, and gameday strategy that enables teams to reach that goal. While Shanny isnt the only reason we won championships he was a big part of that whether you like him or not. Shanahan is not the only SB winning coach to leave and not have the same success elsewhere. Gibbs failed on his comeback and so did Johnson. It takes all the right elements to make it work.

Chef Zambini
05-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Whether the game has passed Shanny by or not, either love him or hate him he still is the only HC to bring 2 world championships to Denver. If he is overrated than i guess Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, Bill Walsh, etc are overrated too. Every coach, player, GM, etc plays a part when you try to win a title. Its about being healthy, having chemistry, good drafting/free agent pickups, and gameday strategy that enables teams to reach that goal. While Shanny isnt the only reason we won championships he was a big part of that whether you like him or not. Shanahan is not the only SB winning coach to leave and not have the same success elsewhere. Gibbs failed on his comeback and so did Johnson. It takes all the right elements to make it work.
and in shannys case it took, elway, kubial,bobby turner and Gibbs.
never mind the defense, special teams and terrel Davis.
Shanahan, figurehead, he assembled a winning team, THANK YOU MIKE SHANAHAN.
You brought Kubiak with you from frisco.
You Hired the Oline coach that ART SHELL told you you needed !
You made GIBBS, Assistant Head Coach !
He delivered his 7 top run plays and formations to be implimented in the 20 scrpted plays.
KUBIAK wrote each weeks SCRIPT,
nice work shanny.
and GIBBS reccomended TURNER.

Dreadnought
05-14-2013, 12:25 PM
He delivered his 7 top run plays and formations to be implimented in the 20 scrpted plays.
nice work shanny.

Oh, Dear Lord....

Howz About "Mike Shanahan, the greatest NFL Coach who ever was or may ever be. He brought back to back Superbowl Wins to Denver. When someone else does it then we can talk"

Chef Zambini
05-14-2013, 12:29 PM
the game has not passed shanny by.
ironic choice of phrase, "passed'.
if anything, todays game is evolving more to facilitate a HC like shanny.
Passing game and a Director of Coaching personnel.
Here is shannys forte. designing PASS plays to take advantage of strengths and weaknesses
a myriad of formations and personnel, that window dress a dozen basic plays.
Shanny will always NEED an exceptional QB to make him look like a genius.
Montana, Young, Elway, RG III, I could coach that offense to the play-offs.

Chef Zambini
05-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Oh, Dear Lord....

Howz About "Mike Shanahan, the greatest NFL Coach who ever was or may ever be. He brought back to back Superbowl Wins to Denver. When someone else does it then we can talk"TWO lombardis in the trophy case. Respectfully, THANK YOU MIKE SHANAHAN
Mike you put it all together and made it happen, My deepest appreciation, Chef Zambini.

Ravage!!!
05-14-2013, 01:30 PM
nice work shanny.
Yeah, I'm sure Shanahan didn't have ANYTHING to do with the playcalling when he was in Denver during those Super Bowl years. I mean, look at how many Super Bowls Steve Young already won bfore Shanahan became the OC in San Fran. Not to mention look at how many Super Bowls Elway won before Shanahan took over.

BTW, who was Kubiak BEFORE Shanahan? Oh that's right, a RB coach.

Not to mention, he also brought in
Ed McCaffrey,
Mark Schlereth,
Terrell Davis,
David Diaz-Infante,
Byron Chamberlain,
Howard Griffith,
Tony Jones,
Dan Neil,
Bubby Brister
.... and lets not forget that Rod Smith didn't make a single catch in a game until Shanahan became coach.

Then, since you mentioned "the defense, special teams, and terrel Davis"... lets see if Shanahan had anything to do with those with people he brought to Denver after taking control of the Broncos.

Alfred Williams
Neil Smith
John Mobley
Micheal Dean Perry
Bill Romanowski
Mike Lodish
Glenn Cadrez
Darien Gordon
Trevor Pryce
Keith Traylor

Wow.. seems he did seem to have a hand with how that defense performed on the field.

Chef Zambini
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
TWO lombardis in the trophy case. Respectfully, THANK YOU MIKE SHANAHAN
Mike you put it all together and made it happen, My deepest appreciation, Chef Zambini.I guess some people just employ selective reading when their primary intention is to flame an arguement.
he wantys to IMPLY that I said shanny had NOTHING to do with our success, when in fact that is a gross misrepresentation of what I said.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Alex Gibbs returned to the Broncos in May as a consultant for Denver’s offensive line under coordinator Adam Gase. John Fox said of Gibbs’ return to the Broncos: “He’ll be a good resource.”

Fox has only ever coached against Gibbs. But the zone-blocking guru is well-known in Denver and around the NFL (or as well known as an offensive line coach can be). It was Gibbs’ guidance that helped Terrell Davis and John Elway stomp through defenses to two Super Bowls in the 1990s with coach Mike Shanahan.

But what does it mean that Gibbs is a “good resource”? And what is his guidance really like?

rest - plus videos of Gibbs coaching
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/06/04/alex-gibbs-teaching-technique-denver-broncos/19975/

Simple Jaded
06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
rest - plus videos of Gibbs coaching
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/06/04/alex-gibbs-teaching-technique-denver-broncos/19975/

When you bumped this thread with an update I thoroughly expected to read about how Gibbs already quit. Staying in one place this long has gotta be painful for him, such will power.