PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets' George Karl named NBA's coach of the year

Denver Native (Carol)
05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
In recent years, George Karl has marked off major career accomplishments, and Wednesday he got another big one — his first NBA coach of the year award.

With a roster of players that didn't have an all-star, a schedule that put the Nuggets on the road for 22 of their first 32 games and injuries to key players, the Nuggets flourished under Karl's direction. They finished with a franchise-record 57 wins, had the league's best home record (38-3) and had streaks of 15 wins overall and 24 consecutive home wins. Their 57-25 mark was the fourth-best record in the NBA.

"I am honored and energized to represent coaching and be their ambassador as coach of the year and continue to symbolize the great coaching there is in the NBA," Karl said in a statement. "There are probably seven or eight guys who are deserving of it and another 10 or 15 other coaches who have done a great job and aren't getting any recognition."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_23197573/nuggets-george-karl-named-nbas-coach-year

BroncoWave
05-08-2013, 12:04 PM
He definitely deserves it. That Nuggets roster has nowhere near the talent of a 57 win team. How he squeezed that many wins out of that roster is beyond me.

slim
05-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Good thing for him it's a regular season award.

Northman
05-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Yea, kind of a hollow award.

dogfish
05-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Yea, kind of a hollow award.

yea, it's fluff. . . GK got utterly smoked when it counted. . .

BroncoWave
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Karl was a victim of his own regular season success in the playoffs. The Nuggets are not a 3-seed caliber team. The Grizzlies, Clippers, and Warriors are all better IMO. I think even Houston would give them a run for their money. Karl worked miracles with that roster in the regular season. The playoffs were a more accurate reflection of how good that team really is IMO.

NightTrainLayne
05-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Poor Nuggets fans. All they can do is complain about their coach, who coached a team without an All-Star to 57 wins, and he wins Coach of the Year.

You gotta laugh right? Or cry.

Poet
05-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Yeah, to be honest the talent level of the Nuggets is really low. I think it may be more frustrating because of Karl's failures overall in the playoffs. But this year, doesn't seem quite fair.

BroncoWave
05-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Poor Nuggets fans. All they can do is complain about their coach, who coached a team without an All-Star to 57 wins, and he wins Coach of the Year.

Completely agree. He coached a team whose best player is Danillo Gallinari to 57 wins. That man is a wizard.

Northman
05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I think it may be more frustrating because of Karl's failures overall in the playoffs.

Thats really what it is a about. This will always be the case for the Nuggets so as long as Karl is HC. He is the NBA version of Marty S. Good in the regular season, get a couple of playoff wins but never reach the ultimate goal. But, like some Chief fans maybe thats enough.

dogfish
05-08-2013, 02:42 PM

you shut it, layne!

:welcome:

Ziggy
05-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Danillo Gallinari could start on plenty of teams in the NBA. So could Wilson Chandler, Ty Lawson, Andre Iguadala, Kenneth Faried, and Javale McGee. There's quite a bit of talent on this roster. No stars, but a lot of starters.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-08-2013, 03:06 PM
WOW - I for one am very proud of Coach K, and he totally deserved Coach of The Year.

Dzone
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
As Denny Green would say- Crown his ass!

Denver Native (Carol)
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

At George Karl presser: "We have a great young basketball team. We got too cocky, too ahead of ourselves. Coaches too"

NightTrainLayne
05-08-2013, 03:49 PM
you shut it, layne!

:welcome:

Hey, a lot of Thunder fans would trade Scott Brooks for Karl.

Unless you have Phil Jackson, or Greg Popovich fans are going to complain about coaching.

BroncoWave
05-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Danillo Gallinari could start on plenty of teams in the NBA. So could Wilson Chandler, Ty Lawson, Andre Iguadala, Kenneth Faried, and Javale McGee. There's quite a bit of talent on this roster. No stars, but a lot of starters.

Sure those guys could START for other teams, but none of them would be a #1 player on a championship contending team. Look at the other top teams in the west. They have guys like Durant/Westbrook, Duncan/Parker/Ginobili, Paul/Griffin, Gasol/Randolph, Steph Curry, Gasol/Howard/Kobe, and James Harden. All of those teams have better top-shelf talent than Denver. This Denver team has the talent of a 6-8 seed, but somehow managed a 3. Karl did a great job of coaching them up.

Poet
05-08-2013, 04:05 PM

Unless you have Phil Jackson, or Greg Popovich fans are going to complain about coaching.

Doc Rivers is usually left alone.

ShaneFalco
05-08-2013, 04:15 PM
why do some of you have different standards about peyton then karl. What is peytons playoff record? i dont see people griping about that.

NightTrainLayne
05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Doc Rivers is usually left alone.

Indeed, as he should.

Meanwhile, Erik Spoelstra is the luckiest guy on the planet.

BigDaddyBronco
05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Tom Thibodeau has done a pretty remarkable job in the playoffs. Talk about a team playing as a team.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
The terms MVP, 6th Man, and Rookie Of the Year all are sub-categories of what's known as "post season awards". Every year there is what I like to call misconceptions about who is deserving of these awards. I'll make one thing clear; even though these accolades are awarded in the post season, how someone, or his team performs in the playoffs have absolutely no bearing on if he's deserving or not. If you don't understand that most of the time the ballots are turned in before the season is even over, you should now. What "post season" means in this context is the award is given out after the season is over, in the same way that preseason awards are predictions of who will win these awards and not awarding trophies for players' performances in the preseason.

Denver Nuggets head coach George Karl was selected by voters for Coach Of the Year for the 2012-13 NBA season. They did so because many pundits predicted that his team would struggle to make the playoffs; some even saying that they wouldn't make the playoffs. Denver not only made the playoffs but won 57 games (good enough for fourth best in the NBA). They made their bones this year with a league best 38 wins at home in the friendly confines of the Pepsi Center. Couple that with running off 15 straight overall at one point and this was a team no one wanted to see, no matter what the venue. George Karl accomplished these things without one player that was worthy of an All-Star selection. He implemented a style of play that was very exciting to watch, Denver lead the NBA in fastbreak points per game and points in the paint by a wide margin.

Those claiming that Karl shouldn't have gotten the nod are those who remember conveniently. Granted the Nuggets lost to the, Mark Jackson coached, Warriors in the first round of the Playoffs. But let's think back to the 2006-07 season. In that year the Dallas Mavericks and their star player Dirk Nowitzki were bounced in the first round of the playoffs - coincidentally by these same Golden State Warriors. When it was time for the MVP award to be handed out, Dirk Nowitzki was the name called. Should the NBA have demanded then that voters re-submit their ballots factoring in what had just transpired? No, not at all. Dirk was deserving of the award because he had a spectacular regular season in the same way that George Karl is deserving of his selection.

rest - http://www.spitsgame.com/2013/05/post-season-awards-nba-coach-of-theyear.html

The above link was on Denver Nuggets Twitter, and I totally agree with what this person stated.

dogfish
05-08-2013, 04:48 PM

why? brooks is a former karl assistant, they'd be getting an older version of the same guy. . . neither of them is on doc's level. . .

Poet
05-08-2013, 04:56 PM
why do some of you have different standards about peyton then karl. What is peytons playoff record? i dont see people griping about that.

Because with coaches it's easier to dissect how good of a job that they have done. You judge them strictly on wins and their strategies. I don't think your point is totally invalid, however.

Northman
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM

You must not be paying attention then. There are people that bring that up but then we are talking about a HC vs a QB.

slim
05-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Is winning in the regular season the goal?

slim
05-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm sure NTL and BTB were thrilled when Shanny was coach and all we could muster was one playoff win in 10 years. Those were good times! :fart:

Sorry, but that is not what it's all about.

BroncoWave
05-08-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm sure NTL and BTB were thrilled when Shanny was coach and all we could muster was one playoff win in 10 years. Those were good times! :fart:

Sorry, but that is not what it's all about.

It's literally impossible to win in the nba without a superstar player. This is nothing like football. No coach on the planet could lead this nuggets team to a title. Nuggets fans are delusional if they think any other coach would make them a title contender. They don't even have a top 20 player in the nba.

MOtorboat
05-08-2013, 11:07 PM
It's literally impossible to win in the nba without a superstar player. This is nothing like football. No coach on the planet could lead this nuggets team to a title. Nuggets fans are delusional if they think any other coach would make them a title contender. They don't even have a top 20 player in the nba.

Denver had one of those. Karl and his shitty coaching is why he wanted to leave.

MOtorboat
05-08-2013, 11:08 PM

LOL. At least I know the idiots aren't exclusive to Denver teams...

MOtorboat
05-08-2013, 11:09 PM
You want to praise some REAL coaching. Praise Mark Jackson. That dude hoodwinked Karl in the first round and is out coaching Greg Poppovich in the second round.

BroncoWave
05-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Denver had one of those. Karl and his shitty coaching is why he wanted to leave.

I'm no nuggets fan and i don't really care about karl, so i have an outsiders view on this, but if he is such a shitty coach, then how did this team win 57 games? I don't see how losing a series to a team who had BY FAR the best player in the series (Curry) suddenly makes him an awful coach.

MOtorboat
05-08-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm no nuggets fan and i don't really care about karl, so i have an outsiders view on this, but if he is such a shitty coach, then how did this team win 57 games? I don't see how losing a series to a team who had BY FAR the best player in the series (Curry) suddenly makes him an awful coach.

Well, his lineups are terrible. His reliance on old, washed up guard for years has been a real problem.

They ran in the regular season and got a ton of points inside. The Clippers and the Nuggets were the same team. They played lob city during the season, had fun and won games.

When it mattered. When teams started playing defense, Denver's season long problem of shooting outside of 10 feet and free throw shooting reared its ugly head.

I'm happy for Karl, no doubt. Its nice that he got recognized for having a spectacular career as a coach, but his lineups and coaching decisions in the past have been poor, throughout his career.

NightTrainLayne
05-08-2013, 11:48 PM
why? brooks is a former karl assistant, they'd be getting an older version of the same guy. . . neither of them is on doc's level. . .

Oh, we'll if we're totally in fantasy land we'll take Phil Jackson.

dogfish
05-09-2013, 02:01 AM
I'm no nuggets fan and i don't really care about karl, so i have an outsiders view on this

but, you felt the need to interject anyway, since there was a chance to argue with someone. . . :lol:

how many games of the denver-GS series did you watch?

dogfish
05-09-2013, 02:02 AM
Oh, we'll if we're totally in fantasy land we'll take Phil Jackson.

okay, you just lost me. . . brooks was karl's assistant in real life-- where did we get into fantasyland?

slim
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
It's literally impossible to win in the nba without a superstar player.

George Karl disagrees.

MOtorboat
05-09-2013, 09:44 AM
George Karl disagrees.

And for the 25th season he's been proven wrong. Again.

slim
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
And for the 25th season he's been proven wrong. Again.

He is stubborn, MO. I suppose for a team like the Nuggets this is as good as it will get, though. We may as well resign ourselves to the fact that a great regular season every few years is all we can expect.

BroncoJoe
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, his lineups are terrible. His reliance on old, washed up guard for years has been a real problem.

They ran in the regular season and got a ton of points inside. The Clippers and the Nuggets were the same team. They played lob city during the season, had fun and won games.

When it mattered. When teams started playing defense, Denver's season long problem of shooting outside of 10 feet and free throw shooting reared its ugly head.

I'm happy for Karl, no doubt. Its nice that he got recognized for having a spectacular career as a coach, but his lineups and coaching decisions in the past have been poor, throughout his career.

Whachu talkinabout Willis?

MOtorboat
05-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Whachu talkinabout Willis?

Earl Boykins, Andre Miller, Anthony Carter, Chucky Atkins...

The ONE year Karl didn't give heavy minutes to one of those four guys, they went to the Western Conference Finals. Coincidence?

BroncoJoe
05-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Earl Boykins, Andre Miller, Anthony Carter, Chucky Atkins...

The ONE year Karl didn't give heavy minutes to one of those four guys, they went to the Western Conference Finals. Coincidence?

Just messin with you. I knew exactly what you were talking about.

andre miller.... :)

BroncoWave
05-09-2013, 12:21 PM
but, you felt the need to interject anyway, since there was a chance to argue with someone. . . :lol:

how many games of the denver-GS series did you watch?

You're right, I should only post in threads in which I agree with everyone, that would be way more fun! :lol:

I watched bits and pieces of the series here and there. What I saw was a Golden State team who flat out has better players than Denver. A coach can only do so much when you have a star like Curry on the other side.

Northman
05-09-2013, 12:41 PM
but his lineups and coaching decisions in the past have been poor, throughout his career.

^This

As i said. Just like Marty S. Good to a certain point but cant get over the hump.

BroncoWave
05-09-2013, 02:02 PM
^This

As i said. Just like Marty S. Good to a certain point but cant get over the hump.

Phil Jackson couldn't get Denver's current roster over the hump. They don't have enough talent. In my lifetime, the only team that has won a title without a sure-fire hall of famer on it was the Pistons team a decade ago, but they had multiple all-stars.

Maybe the Nuggets need a new coach, but they definitely need better players.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Last night, the guys on TNT were talking about Coach K winning the Coach of the Year award. Nothing but praise from them. I thought it was very interesting to hear what Shaq, Kenny and Charles had to say about Coach K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHL9-FNKy4Y

Definitely means a lot to me, when it comes from actual people who have played basketball in the NBA.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-09-2013, 03:07 PM
Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri has been named the NBA's executive of the year for 2012-13, an award voted on by his front-office peers. He constructed a roster that won 57 games, finishing third in the talented Western Conference, even though the Nuggets were the second-youngest team to make the NBA playoffs (Denver lost in the first round to No. 6-seeded Golden State).

"It's a little bittersweet for me — I would trade (this trophy) to be playing right now," Ujiri said Thursday at a news conference at the Pepsi Center. "Mr. (Stan) Kroenke (the Nuggets owner) didn't have to give me a chance. My background is scouting and the love of the game. But tons of people have given me great chances to be here."

Ujiri is the first African-born general manager in major American sports.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_23207666/nuggets-masai-ujiri-wins-nbas-executive-year

BroncoWave
05-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Definitely means a lot to me, when it comes from actual people who have played basketball in the NBA.

Not only that, but Inside the NBA is one of the most well-regarded NBA analysis shows. They definitely know their stuff.

BroncoAV06
05-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Karl is a good coach. You don't just get to the playoffs as much as he does on luck.

It is just one of those things, a curse, goat, the Babe, whatever it is that the first round is like Mount Everest.

ShaneFalco
05-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Last night, the guys on TNT were talking about Coach K winning the Coach of the Year award. Nothing but praise from them. I thought it was very interesting to hear what Shaq, Kenny and Charles had to say about Coach K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHL9-FNKy4Y

Definitely means a lot to me, when it comes from actual people who have played basketball in the NBA.Thats basically what it always comes down to, listening to people who played the game and did it well. Not the talking TV pundits who have never played a game in their life. Same goes for NFL.

NightTrainLayne
05-09-2013, 10:37 PM
okay, you just lost me. . . brooks was karl's assistant in real life-- where did we get into fantasyland?

You said neither is on Doc's level. And that's very true. But if I'm going to fantasize about a coach, I'll take Jackson over Doc Rivers.

I understand that Brooks was Karl's assistant. I don't want to trade coaches, but I'm sure plenty of our fans would trade Brooks for most anyone.

ShaneFalco
05-09-2013, 10:38 PM
And wow, him crying about his family! brought a tear to my eye! go Karl! you deserve it.

Chef Zambini
06-07-2013, 03:18 PM
nice job GK, ''' you are fired !

CoachChaz
06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I guess regularly finishing amongst the top 50% of the teams in your conference and being able to win in the playoffs are two different things