PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' John Elway likes Montee Ball, has high hopes for Champ Bailey

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2013, 05:43 PM
When Broncos vice president John Elway watched film of running back Montee Ball, he had flashbacks to when he was a quarterback and his best play was the handoff.

"His running style was a lot like Terrell Davis," Elway said during a fan forum conference call Tuesday. "We hope that Montee has a career and even a longer career than Terrell had."

Davis was a 1,000-yard rusher for the Broncos as a rookie in 1995, then was the NFL's best running back in the next three seasons. The combination of Davis and Elway helped the Broncos win back-to-back Super Bowls in 1997-98. Elway retired after 1998 and Davis blew out his knee four games into 1999 and was never the same.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23191582/broncos-john-elway-likes-montee-ball-has-high

SR
05-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I am cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless. I also like what Elway said about dipshit Alfred Williams.

spikerman
05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Personally, I thought the guy who asked about Kayvon Webster was some kind of genius.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2013, 06:55 PM
I just finished up moderating a fan forum with Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway and Director of Player Personnel Matt Russell.

Season-ticket holders were able to ask them questions during the hour-long conference call, and it was a pretty fun experience for everyone involved. We’ve held a few fan forums in the past and we’ll hold more going forward this season.

Some of the more interesting notes to come out of the call were Elway’s thoughts on the addition of new Director of Pro Personnel Tom Heckert, Russell’s comments on Ryan Clady and Elway comparing Montee Ball to Terrell Davis.

Below are some quick hits from the fan forum. We’ll have more from the call over the next few days.

rest - http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/elway-russell-talk-heckert-rookies-clady-in-fan-forum/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-07-2013, 07:51 PM
"If he didn't like our pick last year we're thrilled that he didn't like it this year because Derek Wolfe turned into a heckuva football player," Elway said. "And we anticipate that Sylvester will, too. So we're absolutely thrilled that Alfred doesn't like our pick this year."

Read more: Broncos' John Elway likes Montee Ball, has high hopes for Champ Bailey - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23191582/broncos-john-elway-likes-montee-ball-has-high#ixzz2Seqqhf8I
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

I loved that part. :laugh:

broncohead
05-07-2013, 08:19 PM
So even Elway said Champ has slowed down? (I am not advocating a move to safety. Champ should start at CB this coming season.)

Joel
05-07-2013, 09:26 PM
"Any time you get up there in age things are going to slow down a little bit, but you hope they make it up on the mental side and anticipate." Sure sounds like a safety to me, but Elway's also on record (at least for now) that we're not considering the move yet. Are we allowed to admit what our eyes clearly reveal us now that Elway has explicitly done the same? :tongue:

Simple Jaded
05-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Some day Bailey will move to S and 2 or 3 people will say "I told ya so!".

Dzone
05-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Alfred Williams, what a dipshit

MOtorboat
05-07-2013, 11:51 PM
"Any time you get up there in age things are going to slow down a little bit, but you hope they make it up on the mental side and anticipate." Sure sounds like a safety to me, but Elway's also on record (at least for now) that we're not considering the move yet. Are we allowed to admit what our eyes clearly reveal us now that Elway has explicitly done the same? :tongue:

No. That doesn't "sound like a safety." It sounds like a man who is 35 in a young man's game. If that "sounds like a safety" then safeties are ONLY older cornerbacks, and we know that's absolutely, 100 percent not the case.

Find a safety to play safety.

Let the HOF, Top 5 of all time, cornerback play cornerback.

What in the ******* hell is your obsession with moving players from one position to another?

SoCalImport
05-08-2013, 09:06 AM
What in the ******* hell is your obsession with moving players from one position to another?

Always worked.. %100 percent of the time...in Madden

TXBRONC
05-08-2013, 09:08 AM

No John did not in anyway, shape, or form fully and clearly express that Bailey should be moved to safety. The context wont even support that Elway even implied it.

TXBRONC
05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
No. That doesn't "sound like a safety." It sounds like a man who is 35 in a young man's game. If that "sounds like a safety" then safeties are ONLY older cornerbacks, and we know that's absolutely, 100 percent not the case.

There is nowhere that Elway explicitly say Champ should move safety.

broncohead
05-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Champ is a CB. Champ will get help over the top more next season I'm sure.

Ravage!!!
05-08-2013, 10:18 AM

When Joel suggested that Von Miller's skillset would be better used at MLB is when I stopped listening to his ideas on player positioning and moves.

Ravage!!!
05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
So even Elway said Champ has slowed down? (I am not advocating a move to safety. Champ should start at CB this coming season.)

yeah, I don't think there is any way to deny that Champ has slowed down. He got beat badly by two of the fastest guys at the WR position last year. He doesn't have the speed to keep up (and I've noticed that he's even a bit slower in colder weather). But as you said, we simply adjust for that. Champ is still a tough corner. EVEN if you think he's a #2 corner (because he would be a top #2)... he would be more valuable to the team at corner than at safety.

So, like you said.... Champ will either get more help over the top against the speedsters, or, we simply put a lesser (but faster) corner on the speedsters with bracket over the top while putting Champ alone on the other side.

underrated29
05-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Some day Bailey will move to S and 2 or 3 people will say "I told ya so!".

Champ will never play saftey because he is going to pull an elway. Once we win two superbowls he is going to hang it up. His mission is complete and he did all that could have been done. Maxed out.

Ravage!!!
05-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Champ will never play saftey because he is going to pull an elway. Once we win two superbowls he is going to hang it up. His mission is complete and he did all that could have been done. Maxed out.

The move to safety didn't work out for Woodson.

Chef Zambini
05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Some day Bailey will move to S and 2 or 3 people will say "I told ya so!".and eventually that catapiller will metamorphosis into a butterfly and some moron is gonna say,
"see how pretty it is as a butterfly" !
what a moron.

Chef Zambini
05-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Champ will never play saftey because he is going to pull an elway. Once we win two superbowls he is going to hang it up. His mission is complete and he did all that could have been done. Maxed out.this has a 2 year window of reality, starting this year. I hoe you are 100% correct.

Chef Zambini
05-08-2013, 12:16 PM
yeah, I don't think there is any way to deny that Champ has slowed down. He got beat badly by two of the fastest guys at the WR position last year. He doesn't have the speed to keep up (and I've noticed that he's even a bit slower in colder weather). But as you said, we simply adjust for that. Champ is still a tough corner. EVEN if you think he's a #2 corner (because he would be a top #2)... he would be more valuable to the team at corner than at safety.

So, like you said.... Champ will either get more help over the top against the speedsters, or, we simply put a lesser (but faster) corner on the speedsters with bracket over the top while putting Champ alone on the other side.if you dedicate help over the top to champs side of the field, you actually free him up to do more "CREATIVE" defending by disguising his assigbnment. Instead of the 1 on 1, know exactly where he is going (decoy). now CHAMP can be deployed to defend zones, break off coverage disguised as 1on 1 and take on underneath coverage in anticipation of throws.
Champ is going to see more balls next year, and i aint talkin about lance and montee.

MOtorboat
05-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Champ was never a "decoy." Anyone who thinks a shutdown corner is a "decoy" doesn't understand defense.

Go watch the Carolina game last year and see him shut down Steve Smith. He wasn't a decoy, he was flat dominant.

Chef Zambini
05-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Champ was never a "decoy." Anyone who thinks a shutdown corner is a "decoy" doesn't understand defense.

Go watch the Carolina game last year and see him shut down Steve Smith. He wasn't a decoy, he was flat dominant.the WR that champ covers is a decoy,
only the obsessed would think or imply that i meant anything else.
thanks for yet another knee jerk response.

MOtorboat
05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
the WR that champ covers is a decoy,
only the obsessed would think or imply that i meant anything else.
thanks for yet another knee jerk response.

I know what you mean and you're wrong.

Only in your delusions is Champ and the receiver he covers a decoy.

OrangeHoof
05-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm glad Elway has high hopes for Montee Ball. He was dominant at times in college and my only qualms were how much tread he still had on his tires and whether that beating he took on campus created any lasting brain damage. If he checks out, he could be a steal for the third round. Sort of like Ron Dayne with better hands and more flexibility.

Joel
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Obviously we don't want a safety who's SLOW, but Champ's not slow: He's just slowER than when he was one of the fastest guys out there. And a guy whose got great knowledge and experience, exceptional read and reaction but slightly less speed than elite CBs is an ideal candidate for safety, especially when he tackles as well as Champ.

No John did not in anyway, shape, or form fully and clearly express that Bailey should be moved to safety. The context wont even support that Elway even implied it.
I never said he did; just the opposite, actually. Is this one of those "reading comprehension" things again? :tongue:

There is nowhere that Elway explicitly say Champ should move safety.
He explicitly said they're NOT even considering moving Champ; that was never in dispute.

When Joel suggested that Von Miller's skillset would be better used at MLB is when I stopped listening to his ideas on player positioning and moves.
Let's debate that one in the thread where we agreed MLB is the most important single defensive position. ;)

TXBRONC
05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
I never said he did; just the opposite, actually. Is this one of those "reading comprehension" things again? :tongue:

He explicitly said they're NOT even considering moving Champ; that was never in dispute.

Yeah your comprehension suck ass what makes it worse you can't even comprehend your own sentences. You weren't saying Elway was explicit about Champ slowing down. BFD genius no one has ever said he hasn't slowed down. And of course that sounds to you likes Champ should be safety in other words Elway is admitting Champ should be moved to safety. It's pretty sad someone else has you tell you what you said.

It's ridiculous how you keep tell us how much better the defense would be if Champ were moved to safety. You apparently do not get the concept that all it does is create a hole somewhere else and it doesn't allow for some who is actually a safety to develop.

Cugel
05-09-2013, 10:04 AM

So, like you said.... Champ will either get more help over the top against the speedsters, or, we simply put a lesser (but faster) corner on the speedsters with bracket over the top while putting Champ alone on the other side.

LET'S GO TO THE VIDEOTAPE: I'm puzzled. I seem to remember having seen the playoff game. Somewhere in my mind I think I remember believing that the Broncos had the game won, until some SAFETY who I believe was named RAHIM MOORE TOOK A HORRIBLE ANGLE AND THEN FELL DOWN ON A TYPICAL END GAME HAIL MARY PLAY.

Perhaps Champ Bailey wasn't the reason the Broncos lost?

All Rahim Moore had to do is not let a WR get between him and the end zone. Just stand back there on the 5 yard line.

Champ didn't have a good game, but then he didn't lose the game either. Personally, I'm more worried about Rahim Moore making horrible plays than about Champ Bailey. :coffee:

Cugel
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah your comprehension suck ass what makes it worse you can't even comprehend your own sentences. You weren't saying Elway was explicit about Champ slowing down. BFD genius no one has ever said he hasn't slowed down. And of course that sounds to you likes Champ should be safety in other words Elway is admitting Champ should be moved to safety. It's pretty sad someone else has you tell you what you said.

It's ridiculous how you keep tell us how much better the defense would be if Champ were moved to safety. You apparently do not get the concept that all it does is create a hole somewhere else and it doesn't allow for some who is actually a safety to develop.

Dear TXBronc. Here you go again trying to confuse the issue with LOGIC and REASON. You'll never get anywhere with that approach. :lol:

Ravage!!!
05-09-2013, 10:17 AM
LET'S GO TO THE VIDEOTAPE: I'm puzzled. I seem to remember having seen the playoff game. Somewhere in my mind I think I remember believing that the Broncos had the game won, until some SAFETY who I believe was named RAHIM MOORE TOOK A HORRIBLE ANGLE AND THEN FELL DOWN ON A TYPICAL END GAME HAIL MARY PLAY.

Perhaps Champ Bailey wasn't the reason the Broncos lost?

All Rahim Moore had to do is not let a WR get between him and the end zone. Just stand back there on the 5 yard line.

Champ didn't have a good game, but then he didn't lose the game either. Personally, I'm more worried about Rahim Moore making horrible plays than about Champ Bailey. :coffee:

What are you talking about? The two TDs that went over the top of Champ's head didn't contribute to the loss? The fact that Champ was beaten like a DRUM over and over again, didn't know that he had lost a step? YES.. I agree, Lets GO TO THE VIDEO TAPE and watch Champ trailing Smith time and time again, and if it wasn't for a SLIGHTLY overthrown ball by Flacco, it would have been THREE TD's against Champ in the first half.

I don't know what you got so defensive about, but when Champ was against that Cincinatti WR, it was the same thing... Champ doesn't have the speed to keep up. That's just a fact.

Ravage!!!
05-09-2013, 10:19 AM

He wants to do the same thing with our MLB position too. Lets take the most dynamic player in the NFL and MOVE HIM to another position!! Seems to be a pattern.

TXBRONC
05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
[/COLOR][/B]

Dear TXBronc. Here you go again trying to confuse the issue with LOGIC and REASON. You'll never get anywhere with that approach. :lol:

No I haven't confused anything.

Chef Zambini
05-10-2013, 12:20 PM
What are you talking about? The two TDs that went over the top of Champ's head didn't contribute to the loss? The fact that Champ was beaten like a DRUM over and over again, didn't know that he had lost a step? YES.. I agree, Lets GO TO THE VIDEO TAPE and watch Champ trailing Smith time and time again, and if it wasn't for a SLIGHTLY overthrown ball by Flacco, it would have been THREE TD's against Champ in the first half.

I don't know what you got so defensive about, but when Champ was against that Cincinatti WR, it was the same thing... Champ doesn't have the speed to keep up. That's just a fact.thats a hard sell in this neighborhood.

Simple Jaded
05-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Bailey was stride for stride with Smith on the TD before the half, he has the speed to keep up with anybody, it's recovery speed that hurt him in that game. Nobody has the recovery speed to catch up with Smith.

Joel
05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Actually, I really DON'T need you to explain to me what I said; just how arrogant are you? One more time: Elway explicitly said Champ has slowed down but Elway hopes Champs experience and instincts offset that, which TO ME, are things to seek in a safety. Elway PREVIOUSLY said explicitly the front office is not even considering moving Champ to safety.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Chris Harris, Tony Carter; not seeing a CB hole. I really hope the two safeties and MLB who haven't done squat in two seasons develop REALLY fast in their third, or we're in trouble.

Simple Jaded
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Actually, I really DON'T need you to explain to me what I said; just how arrogant are you? One more time: Elway explicitly said Champ has slowed down but Elway hopes Champs experience and instincts offset that, which TO ME, are things to seek in a safety. Elway PREVIOUSLY said explicitly the front office is not even considering moving Champ to safety.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Chris Harris, Tony Carter; not seeing a CB hole. I really hope the two safeties and MLB who haven't done squat in two seasons develop REALLY fast in their third, or we're in trouble.

Trouble? As in 13-3 and #1 seed in AFC?

BroncoWave
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Well I'm glad that John Elway likes the player that he spent a second round pick on! That would be awkward if he didn't.

Joel
05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Trouble? As in 13-3 and #1 seed in AFC?
As in "only beat two teams with a winning record, and one of THEM won our only playoff game."

I will say I'm glad to hear the Ball-Davis comparisons, though I take everything a team says about its draft picks with a grain of salt till I see them on the field. Sometimes even afterward; remember Boz?

TXBRONC
05-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Arrogant? Nah. It's not my fault you can't follow your own arguements. It's either that or back tracking because you know you screwed up. :coffee:

That's are our number two, three, and four corners. Bailey is still better than all of them until proven otherwise. Btw can you count to four? Because that's how many we need.

TXBRONC
05-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Well I'm glad that John Elway likes the player that he spent a second round pick on! That would be awkward if he didn't.

Maybe he'll consider moving him to safety or middle linebacker.

Simple Jaded
05-10-2013, 11:20 PM
As in "only beat two teams with a winning record, and one of THEM won our only playoff game."

I will say I'm glad to hear the Ball-Davis comparisons, though I take everything a team says about its draft picks with a grain of salt till I see them on the field. Sometimes even afterward; remember Boz?

You realize the Broncos are one of the reasons teams didn't have more wins? Beat three teams that finished one game under .500 and two others would have finished with a winning record had they not lost to Denver. But hey, you spin your way l'll spin it mine.

Btw, using your stringent standards the eventual WORLD CHAMPIONS only beat three teams with winning records.

Joel
05-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Arrogant? Nah. It's not my fault you can't follow your own arguements. It's either that or back tracking because you know you screwed up. :coffee:

That's are our number two, three, and four corners. Bailey is still better than all of them until proven otherwise. Btw can you count to four? Because that's how many we need.
It's not my fault you can't SPELL "arguments," but please keep explaining how completely misreading what I said proves your reading comprehension superior.

You realize the Broncos are one of the reasons teams didn't have more wins? Beat three teams that finished one game under .500 and two others would have finished with a winning record had they not lost to Denver. But hey, you spin your way l'll spin it mine.

Btw, using your stringent standards the eventual WORLD CHAMPIONS only beat three teams with winning records.
So we beat FOUR winning team if we ignore their loss to us? Wow. And, of course, one of the two winning teams we beat more than got even in our first playoff game: We went home; they went to the Super Bowl.

I know what an awful season they, their geriatric D and second rate QB had. I also know how many inexcusable calls they got against the Colts and us; after that I quit watching since the SB "winner" was obvious.

TXBRONC
05-11-2013, 07:42 PM
It's not my fault you can't SPELL "arguments," but please keep explaining how completely misreading what I said proves your reading comprehension superior.

So we beat FOUR winning team if we ignore their loss to us? Wow. And, of course, one of the two winning teams we beat more than got even in our first playoff game: We went home; they went to the Super Bowl.

I know what an awful season they, their geriatric D and second rate QB had. I also know how many inexcusable calls they got against the Colts and us; after that I quit watching since the SB "winner" was obvious.

Typo bfd. You got called for your stupidity so now you're trying to save face got it. :2thumbs:

Simple Jaded
05-11-2013, 07:51 PM

I'm just breaking the Broncos 2012 schedule into semantics that you'd understand. Thanks for the 2012 recap but I was there and my memory works just fine. You go ahead and wipe your ass with the Broncos til you're blue in the face, fact is the WORLD CHAMPIONS had one more win over a + .500 team than the Broncos.

How many winning teams did the Oilers beat?

TXBRONC
05-11-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm just breaking the Broncos 2012 schedule into semantics that you'd understand. Thanks for the 2012 recap but I was there and my memory works just fine. You go ahead and wipe your ass with the Broncos til you're blue in the face, fact is the WORLD CHAMPIONS had one more win over a + .500 team than the Broncos.

How many winning teams did the Oilers beat?

Joel is going full metal retard on you dude.

SR
05-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Lmao

Simple Jaded
05-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Weapons grade retard.

TXBRONC
05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Weapons grade retard.

Yep for retards of mass destruction.