PDA

View Full Version : Why The Broncos Won't Trade Brandon Marshall

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2009, 10:33 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.denver.broncos.2.1160551.html

I know a lot of Bronco fans clamoring for a Brandon Marshall trade. And reports out of New York suggest they might even have a willing partner in the New York Jets. Marshall for a 1st round pick.

Well I'm here to tell you – not happening. Not this year.

Here's why: If the Broncos hold onto him this season and no collective bargaining agreement is reached, Marshall would automatically become a restricted free agent, which allows the Broncos to control his rights.

If the owners and union do indeed reach a labor agreement, Marshall could qualify as an "unrestricted" free agent, allowing him to go as he pleases. If that's the case, the Broncos could simply slap a franchise tag on him. And the going rate for a franchise receiver (according to several agents) is a 1st and 3rd round pick, minimum.

So why would the Broncos bite at the Jets offer? Just a 1st-rounder? Why not just hold onto Marshall for the season and then collect a 1st AND a 3rd at the end of the year? It doesn't make sense to trade him now, unless of course some desperate team makes the Broncos an offer they can't refuse. Are the Jets that desperate? Doubtful.

Also, I'm told Marshall is starting to see the light. (I know, I know, we've heard this before). But this is different. Earlier this week, Marshall extended an olive branch to Rod Smith. He's seeking Rod's help again. He's actually listening this time. Rod and Brandon have been working out together this week, working on the body AND the mind. That's great news for B-Marsh. He needs guidance in his life. And nobody can fill that role better than Rod Smith.

Northman
09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/nfl.denver.broncos.2.1160551.html

Also, I'm told Marshall is starting to see the light. (I know, I know, we've heard this before). But this is different. Earlier this week, Marshall extended an olive branch to Rod Smith. He's seeking Rod's help again. He's actually listening this time. Rod and Brandon have been working out together this week, working on the body AND the mind. That's great news for B-Marsh. He needs guidance in his life. And nobody can fill that role better than Rod Smith.[/B]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ill believe it when i see it. The guy has been full of shit so far.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ill believe it when i see it. The guy has been full of shit so far.

I'm willing to give Brandon the benefit of the doubt - especially when Rod is once again in the picture

Northman
09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm willing to give Brandon the benefit of the doubt - especially when Rod is once again in the picture

Oh, i have no doubt that Rod can help him. But ive seen how Brandon is and just like his 13 arrests he's as predictable as they come right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81254423&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The Denver Broncos haven't been attempting to deal disgruntled wide receiver Brandon Marshall, according to league sources, and have received very little contact from other teams inquiring about the currently suspended Pro Bowler.

The New York Jets have called the Broncos to explore the situation, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, but Denver has no intention of dealing Marshall right now -- a stance that first-year coach Josh McDaniels confirmed Wednesday.

"We're looking forward to having Brandon back on Sept. 6 and starting our preparations for (the season opener at) Cincinnati with him," McDaniels said, according to The Associated Press. "There's no discussions whatsoever taking place between the Denver Broncos and any team in the NFL regarding Brandon Marshall."

And it could be very difficult to agree on any trade of Marshall for multiple reasons. He has one year left on his contract and wants to be traded, but the Broncos already have endured a difficult offseason and preseason. The team is trying to do whatever it can to be as good as possible in 2009 -- already a crucial year for the embattled McDaniels -- and the prospect of 2010 draft picks isn't something very palatable to them.

Officials with three teams that could use a wide receiver all said they hadn't received a call from Denver regarding Marshall, and several sources who have had contact with Broncos general manager Brian Xanders recently said he never once mentioned the wide receiver being available.

Marshall would covet a change of scenery and a chance to sign a lucrative new contract as he is due to make just $2.2 million this season after posting back-to-back 100-catch seasons. However, his value around the NFL is low, given his hip injuries, clashes with team officials (he also has been suspended in the past), recent lack of time on the practice field, a past run-in with law enforcement and his desire for big money.

The Broncos remain optimistic that Marshall might display a better attitude and determination to play when he reports back to the team on Sept. 6 after his suspension for the final two preseason games for outlandish antics at a practice is over. Marshall and the Broncos have been unable to rebuild the trust between them and have disagreed about issues ranging from the wide receiver's health to the actions of the team's public-relations staff, and a long-term marriage remains difficult to imagine. And, undoubtedtly, getting to a big-market team such as the Jets would be appealing to Marshall.

However, the Broncos have the leverage in this situation. They aren't inclined to deal Marshall with his value so low, a source said, and are doing nothing to posit the idea that he could be traded. In fact, they believe that any team being overt about its interest in Marshall risks violating tampering rules and they want to do whatever is possible to get Marshall to concentrate on being productive in Denver rather than dwelling on possible trades (and thus mulling exit strategies).

The Broncos believe that if Marshall returns from his suspension focused, he could be productive right away. Given the fact that franchise quarterback Jay Cutler already was traded in the offseason, the team's top two current quarterbacks are hurt and top draft pick Knowshon Moreno has missed virtually the entire preseason because of a holdout and an injury (he was the projected starting running back), the Broncos immediately need all the help they can get.

Marshall's best chance at getting more money, regardless of the team, is through production on the field and staying out of trouble off of it. The Broncos would love to get off to a fast start, if possible, given all the acrimony and angst over their offseason. The AFC West is perhaps the worst division in football, and Denver is trying to fortify any chance it has of being competitive right now. Landing a mid-round 2010 draft pick (what several executives project to be what an interested party would offer for Marshall) wouldn't help at all in that regard.

Should a team ultimately step up and make an overwhelming offer, well, it's pro sports, so you never say never. The Broncos might end up having to suspend Marshall again. Maybe they get off to a slow start and it becomes best to ship him out before the trade deadline. We're not there yet, though, with everybody 0-0 and the team eager to see if Marshall has learned from this latest experience.

The Broncos haven't been sending any such signals yet, though, and only one team has called about Marshall.

nbenallo33
09-03-2009, 11:13 AM
the media blows everything up anyway im sure nothing is even going between marshall and the broncos involving trades

silkamilkamonico
09-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Still don't understand why Denver won't trade Marshall.

Regardless of what happens this year, he isn't re-signing with Denver. I don 't see Denver paying him what other teams will, and more importantly I don't see Marshall doing a complete 180 on the organization and all of a sudden being "happy".

Denver's stance on they "would rather get production from him this year" is like saying they would rather go 6-10 than 4-12.

Trade the guy, and get something from him.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Yesterday, after practice, one of the things Coach McDaniels addresses is in regards to Brandon.

Under video & audio - Wednesday McDaniels - http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Zweems56
09-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Why are we given hope? You know damn well its only going to get shattered again.

SoCalImport
09-03-2009, 11:23 AM
OR. Make the point that players can't whine and cry and get what they want, AND get some decent play out of B.Marsh this year, and get something better for him next year (assuming the CBA doesn't disappear)

silkamilkamonico
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
OR. Make the point that players can't whine and cry and get what they want, AND get some decent play out of B.Marsh this year, and get something better for him next year (assuming the CBA doesn't disappear)

You can't get anything better for him next year. He plays this year his contract is up and he's a free agent who can sign with anyone.

Marshall plays for Denver this year, they are basically acknowledging that he will walk for free, or possibly a 3rd round comp pick at best depending on how well he does next year.

NightTrainLayne
09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
You can't get anything better for him next year. He plays this year his contract is up and he's a free agent who can sign with anyone.

Marshall plays for Denver this year, they are basically acknowledging that he will walk for free, or possibly a 3rd round comp pick at best depending on how well he does next year.

He won't be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year no matter what.

pnbronco
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Also, I'm told Marshall is starting to see the light. (I know, I know, we've heard this before). But this is different. Earlier this week, Marshall extended an olive branch to Rod Smith. He's seeking Rod's help again. He's actually listening this time. Rod and Brandon have been working out together this week, working on the body AND the mind. That's great news for B-Marsh. He needs guidance in his life. And nobody can fill that role better than Rod Smith.

I really hope this is true. Rod is such a good man, today. He did go through that domestic charge with his x and had to take a lot of anger management, so he understands the triggers. He understands what it's like to be a pro football players and have work ethics and integrity. Maybe his team mates getting upset with Brandon has finally turn a light bulb on, granted it might just be 10 watts but that kid has been in the dark for way too long now.

silkamilkamonico
09-03-2009, 11:41 AM
He won't be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year no matter what.

Isn't this year the last year of his contract?

Dortoh
09-03-2009, 11:41 AM

That is incorrect.

He will be a RFA and Denver could and most likely would tender him with a 1st and a 3rd. Then anyone who wants him give us their 1st & 3rd or we can match their offer to Brandon and keep him.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I am hoping for the best, as I believe Brandon has incredible talent, and it is very encouraging that Brandon extended the olive branch to Rod. I would like to see a "NEW Brandon Marshall" remain with the Broncos for many years.

Dortoh
09-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Rod Smith is still helping the Broncos win. One of the greatest Broncos EVER

DenBronx
09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I just heard that the Barrell Man has just extended a helping hand to the depleted and confused Marshall.