PDA

View Full Version : So Whats Next For The Denver Nuggets?

Npba900
05-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Well Nugget fans we came up a little short. No doubt the Nuggets were the better team overall but were out played mentally and as much I as I hate to say this, George Karl lost on team strategy (lineup wise) to Jackson. But none the less you can't overlook a 57 win season.

Hopefully the Nugget players learn that just because you are a 3rd seed does not mean and 8th seed team is going to lay down and not try to beat you.

The future is bright for coach Karl and the core group of players the Nuggets currently have. The Nuggets FO/Karl must do some tinkering with player personnel to get stronger for a run at winning the West and making playing in the NBA finals a reality.

First and foremost the Nuggets need a healthy Gallinari to return back strong as ever.

Nuggets need to replace Andre Miller (37 yrs old) who's time has passed. Lawson needs a complimentary guard mate who can play defense and run the floor. Perhaps the Nuggets already have Millers replacement in Fournier(sp). Perhaps offer Miller a coaching job on the team for his veteran leadership.

Also, it maybe time to say good-bye to Brewer and replace him with a defensive players with some scoring ability. Right now what you get from Brewer is someone who likes to "Jack" up 3's from the corner and liability defensively and when his shot isn't falling.

Coach Karl next season must find away to get McGhee to be the focal point of their inside game both offensively & defensively by allowing McGhee to be in the starting lineup and log increased minutes, perhaps avg 35 min. per game minimum. McGhee can block shots, is developing his offensive game and is athletic aggressive around basket. McGhee was clearly better than Bugot. But coach Karl IMHO did not utilize McGhee to McGhee's strengths.

The Nuggets have two interesting Forwards in Quincy Miller, 6'9-210 and Anthony Randolph, 6'11-225 that definitely need to get into the weight room with the Nuggets strength and conditioning coach to put on more muscle weight. As well as attend a "Big Man School to improve their game. Hopefully Miller and Randolph have the drive to want to get better and will become gym rats during the short off-season as well to make themselves better and show coach Karl they deserve more playing time to make the Nuggets much improved for the 2013-2014 season.

As for the Nuggets Centers Mosgov and Koufos who are both 7'0 footers, the Nuggets need to see what they truly have in both of these big men. I saw Koufos play this year and in the playoffs and he played without passion-drive and conviction. I've never seen Mosgov play as of yet. However, perhaps in the off season both of these guys need to attend a Big Man School and become Gym Rats to hone their skills.

The Nuggets could use another athletic big body that can compliment Faried who can hit the boards-grab rebounds to start the fast break and add to the Nuggets inside scoring capability when the 3's aren't dropping or the team is having a bad shooting period especially in the playoffs.

Lawson, Iguodala and Gallinari must step up and be the leaders & coaches on the floor and off the floor and simply show more consistency and demand more from the entire team.

The 2012-2013 Denver Nuggets have shown they can put a team on the floor to win 50 plus games in the regular season. The new challenge is adding pieces to the team that will make the Nuggets playoff READY to go deep into the playoffs, winning the Western Conference Championship and challenging/defeating the Miami Heat for the NBA Championship.

The Nugget's FO and Coach Karl are close to building a perennial Western Conference powerhouse to challenge the OKC Thunder and S.A. Spurs respectively. Now is time in the off-season and draft to find the players that fit their scheme and goals.

BroncoAV06
05-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Easier said then done!

Great points across the board. It's really hard to think that so many changes need to happen after the Nuggets had probably the best regular season in franchise history.

Credit to the Warriors and Mark Jackson. They balled, made the Nuggets the team that had to adjust.

Heard that Gallo has not yet had ACL surgury due to a set back with the other tear, that is not good.

Question is can Javale log those kind of mins? Right now, no. But that is what the off-season is for.

Kofous is a servicable center, but he needs to play a back-up role.

Iggy is the player the brings some scoring pop plus defense. Now do the Nuggets give him a pay-day? Who becomes the odd man out? Is Chandler on the trade block?

What about GK? Nine straight seasons in the playoffs is great. Past the first round once in not.

Should be a fun summer.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Who is out - Vic Lombardi said that he was told Brewer would not be back.

Also, I would believe Mozgov will be gone

In regards to Danilo, the only thing that has been reported locally is that he underwent successful knee surgery in Vail. After a short-term rehabilitation, a date will be scheduled for Gallinari to undergo surgery to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. I have not heard that he has suffered a set back from the knee surgery.

Davii
05-04-2013, 03:56 PM
I don't know what next season holds, but for now this is next

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQnDcVpeh3B9AHzqUpg3pgeoFyIp_SU kgChZqVt1EpROyiuBg9

ShaneFalco
05-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I would like to see Nuggets get a better center to rotate in for Mcgee

MOtorboat
05-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Sadly, I think you're kidding yourself if you think Denver is a contender.

Better with Gallinari, yes, but they need a pure shooter, scorer at the 2. Denver has a number of drive and kick players, but no one to finish the kick. That player isn't out there this year, unfortunately.

MOtorboat
05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
I would like to see Nuggets get a better center to rotate in for Mcgee

Why? In the paint is where this team didn't struggle.

Ziggy
05-05-2013, 10:04 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7iwikr0N51r92wflo1_1280.jpg

MOtorboat
05-05-2013, 11:06 AM
In that same regard, though, Zig, who do you blow it up for? There's no real superstar player out there this year that you can realistically go get, and the draft class is weak.

They still have a decent foundation, they just seem to miss a piece or two. And someone has to put an ultimatum on Karl about relying on old, shitty guards.

Rick
05-05-2013, 02:34 PM
is it just me or is there a face laughing in that cloud.

olathebroncofan
05-05-2013, 04:21 PM
is it just me or is there a face laughing in that cloud.

It's either Bozo the clown, Homey the clown, our some one from the insane clown posse based on your childhood.

Ziggy
05-05-2013, 05:03 PM
In that same regard, though, Zig, who do you blow it up for? There's no real superstar player out there this year that you can realistically go get, and the draft class is weak.

Superstars:
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

One tier below:
Brandon Jennings
Monta Ellis
Josh Smith
Andrew Bynum
Al Jefferson

Talented role players that could be more in the right system:
Jeff Teague
Jarrett Jack
Tyreke Evans
Kevin Martin
David West
Paul Milsap
JJ Hickson
Nikola Pekovic

I'm sure that there's a few that I'm forgetting. There's a lot of talent on that list. Add in guys like Kevin Love and a few others that could be had via trade and there's a lot of ways to rebuild a team quickly in the NBA this year. The Nuggets have as many tradeable pieces as any team in this league. For some reason, they held on to Mosgov despite having numerous reported trade offers. That could have been more assets to trade, but oh well. Another big mistake by the front office. I'm hoping that Kroenke is fed up with the yearly playoff futility and gets rid of George Karl, and possibly Ujiri as well. We should know soon.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2013, 08:21 PM
I definitely do NOT want either Howard or Bynum on the Nuggets. Howard is all about himself, and Bynum hardly got on the floor this past season. As far as Chris Paul - again no thank you. I am more than happy with Ty.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Across the Denver area Friday, opinions were fired off like Stephen Curry jump shots. Should the Nuggets keep coach George Karl, who won a franchise NBA-best 57 games, or let him go after a first-round playoff flameout?

"George is under contract for next year. At this point in time, we haven't really given any thought to making any change whatsoever," team president Josh Kroenke told The Denver Post and Nuggets.com. "As we do at the end of every season, we'll have internal meetings and George will obviously be a major part of them.

"We won 57 games and in my mind, he should hands down be the NBA coach of the year. We'll all put our heads together and try to figure out what happened (in the playoffs) and why it happened. We were without our second-leading scorer, and some benefit of the doubt should be given to a coach with well over 1,000 wins without one of his leading scorers (injured Danilo Gallinari) in the playoffs."

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_23169792/josh-kroenke-gives-full-support-nuggets-coach-george-karl

chazoe60
05-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Just the thought of Andrew "Mouth Breather" Bynum playing for a team in Colorado makes me physically ill.

MOtorboat
05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_23169792/josh-kroenke-gives-full-support-nuggets-coach-george-karl

I'm perfectly fine with Karl, but the personnel department cannot give him a washed up, shitty guard, because he will overplay him.

Rick
05-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Honestly, I think we have enough guys that can score around the basket or slash to the basket, if this team will get better it needs to get better shooting from the outside...and at defense.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Checking Ziggy's list of available players next season, there are two "superstars" named - both who were on teams this year, which made the playoffs, and were eliminated in the first round.

MOtorboat
05-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Checking Ziggy's list of available players next season, there are two "superstars" named - both who were on teams this year, which made the playoffs, and were eliminated in the first round.

As long as the Nuggets don't have one, they won't win in the playoffs. So, that's a nice observation, but reality tells us otherwise.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-05-2013, 09:44 PM
As long as the Nuggets don't have one, they won't win in the playoffs. So, that's a nice observation, but reality tells us otherwise.

Having a "labeled superstar" does not guarantee winning in the playoffs - this year - Clippers, Lakers, Houston, Brooklyn, Boston, all out after the 1st round - all have one or more "labeled superstars". I have no idea if Milwaukee or Atlanta have any "labeled superstars".

BroncoAV06
05-05-2013, 10:21 PM
For one thing the GM is not the problem. For what they got in the Melo deal, landing Iggy, all good moves.

Players that had been good feel on their face. Brewer was a spark off the bench in the season had a horrible series, Faried struggled until it was to late to matter.

Mozgov/Stone are RFA. Iggy UFA (ETO), Brewer.

Foundation:
Ty-Gallo (injury)-Chandler-Faried-Mcgee.

Role: Fournier, Koufus, Miller.

The ?: Hamilton, Q. Miller, Randolph.

Additions: Shooter, back up PG and PF.

Everyone hates Andre Miller but he is under contract and not sure who wants him.

Iggy is the wild-card, does he walk, stay?

There are always interesting names on the market but still have team/player options to wait for.

Ziggy
05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Having a "labeled superstar" does not guarantee winning in the playoffs - this year - Clippers, Lakers, Houston, Brooklyn, Boston, all out after the 1st round - all have one or more "labeled superstars". I have no idea if Milwaukee or Atlanta have any "labeled superstars".

Exactly. Carol, to get a superstar doesn't guarantee a championship but it gives you a shot at it. Playing without one in today's NBA does guarantee that you have no shot at it.

Ziggy
05-06-2013, 12:14 AM
For one thing the GM is not the problem. For what they got in the Melo deal, landing Iggy, all good moves.

Players that had been good feel on their face. Brewer was a spark off the bench in the season had a horrible series, Faried struggled until it was to late to matter.

Mozgov/Stone are RFA. Iggy UFA (ETO), Brewer.

Foundation:
Ty-Gallo (injury)-Chandler-Faried-Mcgee.

Role: Fournier, Koufus, Miller.

The ?: Hamilton, Q. Miller, Randolph.

Additions: Shooter, back up PG and PF.

Everyone hates Andre Miller but he is under contract and not sure who wants him.

Iggy is the wild-card, does he walk, stay?

There are always interesting names on the market but still have team/player options to wait for.

Ujiri did a great job with the Melo fiasco. Iggy is a great role player, but a role player isn't worth what they're paying him. Not trading Mozgov midseason was a huge mistake. Now he walks for no return, and was of no value to the Nuggets during the playoffs. Stupid move. Masai overpaid Nene and then got lucky trading him. Anyone think that the Wizards are happy paying 13 million to a 12/7 guy? He's also bought into the whole George Karl 'you can win a championship without a superstar' nonsense. Hopefully he realizes that he needs to change philosophy and do what it takes to give the Nuggets a chance to win it all.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Last night, Ujiri was on with Vic. You can listen to what he said. He said one thing that I totally agree with, which was there are only 6 or 7 TRUE superstars in the NBA.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/8846869-nuggets-general-manager-ujiri/

BroncoAV06
05-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Ujiri did a great job with the Melo fiasco. Iggy is a great role player, but a role player isn't worth what they're paying him. Not trading Mozgov midseason was a huge mistake. Now he walks for no return, and was of no value to the Nuggets during the playoffs. Stupid move. Masai overpaid Nene and then got lucky trading him. Anyone think that the Wizards are happy paying 13 million to a 12/7 guy? He's also bought into the whole George Karl 'you can win a championship without a superstar' nonsense. Hopefully he realizes that he needs to change philosophy and do what it takes to give the Nuggets a chance to win it all.

You have to realize the NBA is full of bad contracts. I know it is a part of your arguments but it far from the Nuggets worst problem.

Who is the superstar that was available or is out there that the Nuggets could get?

I think it what they used to sell the last two seasons, get everyone on board and not just think that post Melo the team would flop.

By the way Melo is no superstar.

Off season will be full of Nugget fun.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I was thinking about what Ujiri said in regards to - there are only 6 or 7 true superstars in the NBA. In thinking about this, I think that James, KD, and Kobe are superstars, possibly Duncan and Dirk - not sure if I would put any one else in the superstar category as of right now. I am sure that there would be a few which others would agree on, or they would all have their own opinion as to who are the superstars, right now, in the NBA.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Some questions tougher than others as Denver enters offseason
By Chris Marlowe, for Nuggets.com, 5-6-13

It’s been a very difficult week in Nuggets Nation.

Difficult for the coaches, players, staff, fans – and yes the announcers!

I’ve been tired, depressed and surly.

I haven’t shaved since the Mile High Crew lost Game 6 in Oakland and surrendered their first-round playoff series 4-2.

As an aside, I shaved a few hours before Game 6 and cut my chin badly – perhaps foreshadowing what was to come.

So, what have I been doing since the season ended? Answering questions about your Denver Nuggets.

At the gym, gas station, supermarket, walking the dog, and out to dinner.

I try my best to answer all the questions – some are actually easy to respond to

rest - http://www.nba.com/nuggets/features/marlowe-blog-taking-stock-nuggets-playoff-exit

ShaneFalco
05-06-2013, 05:20 PM
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/936329_10151560941548610_352688759_n.jpg

dogfish
05-07-2013, 08:38 PM
meh!

the nugs didn't lose to GS because they don't have a superstar-- they lost because george karl GAVE AWAY games two, three and four with his retarded, assinine smallball starting lineups, and subsequent horrible lineup changes. . .

superstar, blooperstar-- there's lebron, and everybody else. . . chris paul, kevin durant, derrick rose, dwight howard, carmelo-- not a title among 'em. . . and carol's right, neither howard nor paul made it any further than denver this year. . . and it's not like we'll have a shot at either of them next year. . . highly doubt either will hit the market, but i don't see any chance one of them wants to take less to play in denver. . .

with no superstar available, what this team really needs is someone who can knock down a shot. . . we've already been reported to have interest in kyle korver, which makes sense. . . elliss might be an interesting option. . . i'd say iguodala is probably the biggest decision of the off-season, so we'll have to see what's up with that before we know what direction we're leaning. . . i can understand why they'd move on from brewer, given his shot selection-- but i hope they bring in someone else who competes on defense and runs the court the way he does. . . he does gamble a bit too much, but he's also one of the main guys that sparks our breaks. . . unless/until the right deal comes along (i still think harden woulda been perfect for us), i'd rather they continue to make adjustments to the roster and develop our young guys, rather than just blowing it up for the hell of it. . . i

for one thing, i absolutely wouldn't trade lawson unless we actually could get a (young!) superstar back-- or give up on faried this soon. . . move anyone else for the right price, but i wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of players like chandler, koufos, mcgee, maybe a few others, unless we're getting something of decent value in return. . . mcgee's contract and chandler's injuries are both factors to consider. . .

and at the end of the day, yea-- the nugs probably won't be serious contenders. . . the NBA is just tough. . . look at all the talent the thunder have acquired, and they haven't translated it to a title. . .

topscribe
05-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I was thinking about what Ujiri said in regards to - there are only 6 or 7 true superstars in the NBA. In thinking about this, I think that James, KD, and Kobe are superstars, possibly Duncan and Dirk - not sure if I would put any one else in the superstar category as of right now. I am sure that there would be a few which others would agree on, or they would all have their own opinion as to who are the superstars, right now, in the NBA.
I don't know much about who should be a "superstar," but I do believe the
Nuggets need a closer - a player who can take over in crunch time. That's what
Duncan and Kobe have been, and why their respective teams own so much gold.

Great teams have always seemed to have that great player: Chicago with
Jordan, Boston with Bird, Los Angeles with Chamberlain, Jabbar, Magic Johnson,
and, of course, Kobe.

Karl was just named Coach of the Year. That's how well thought of he is. It's
easy to call for the coach's head by fans whose team didn't come home with
the championship. But with whom are they going to replace Karl if they send
him down the road? Perhaps people would rather settle for mediocrity, not
only in the playoffs, but during the regular season, because they have an
inferior coach?

It was a fun season. And now we're pouting? Pity's sake . . .