PDA

View Full Version : Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman passes away at age 49

Northman
05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
RIP dude. Sucks bigtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY2hMgZ_Ocg

Slick
05-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Bummer. I like that album North, that and Reign in Blood.

Davii
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Awfully young. RIP

chazoe60
05-02-2013, 09:17 PM
That sucks. My brother is a huge Slayer fan.

George Jones, Kriss Kross guy, and now this.........bad week for musicians. It does happen in 3s.

Army Bronco
05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
No way!!!!!!!This is really sad. Slayer has been one of my all time fav bands. I started playing guitar learning Seasons in the Abyss and other songs from that album. He was a pioneer in metal and Slayer can never be the same. RIP Jeff.

shank
05-02-2013, 11:36 PM
81 views, 4 replies, glad i'm not the first one to not be affected by this.

Northman
05-03-2013, 06:41 AM
81 views, 4 replies, glad i'm not the first one to not be affected by this.

Uh, thanks?

SoCalImport
05-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Dark day for ex-longhairs everywhere. Seriously sucks. I haven't listened to them in a while but have always been impressed that Slayer has kept it going all these years. I wonder if they'll call it quits or try to find a replacement.

Northman
05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Dark day for ex-longhairs everywhere. Seriously sucks. I haven't listened to them in a while but have always been impressed that Slayer has kept it going all these years. I wonder if they'll call it quits or try to find a replacement.

Technically they had already had a guy replacing him in Exodus guitarist Gary Holt. The reason for that was a couple of years ago Hanneman got bit by a spider (probably recluse) and the necrosis started setting in. He was recovering from that before he had an apparent liver failure yesterday.

The band Acid Reign posted this on FB which i felt rings true regarding most metalheads and sums it up well for me.

Acid Reign (https://www.facebook.com/acid.reign.thrash/posts/10151661075302028)
The thing about metal is.....

It’s an extreme form of music. Not many people “get it” but those who do it LOVE it. You’ll often hear people say that they “love” music, heavy metal fans don’t just love it, they live it. They trek miles to see bands, cross oceans, fly around the world, it’s more than music it’s a brotherhood. Metal fans can end up being outcasts and ridiculed for their tastes, that just serves to bring the brotherhood closer together.

So in this extended family bands are the patriarchs, they are the ones responsible for bringing us all together. You grow up with them, you share the best of times and their music helps you through the worst of times. You laugh, you cry, you drink, you head bang, you follow their career and you hope to grow old together.

So when a member of a band dies it’s like losing a member of that extended family, like losing a part of your childhood because you grew up together and you were still friends. It feels strange to have such strong emotions and a sense of loss for someone you never knew and never met but you feel it all the same. It’s potent, it reminds of your own mortality. Things don’t feel like they’ll ever be the same. You recall the times you shared, the last time you saw them and you meet up with others who feel the same.

Today the brotherhood lost a family member. One of the good guys. Jeff Hanneman. He is survived by his wife Kathy a sister, two brothers and millions of us world wide who will never forget him.

Howard "H" Smith May 2013

Thnikkaman
05-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Obviously I'm not a fan, but I saw this today and thought I should share with those that are:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/comics/2439.png

CoachChaz
05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
It was weird watching the Golden Gods awards last night and seeing people try to have a good time, yet stay true to the memory of a fallen brother. I have no clue how Kerry King was able to get on stage.

Anyway, Jeff hasnt been able to perform in a few years and we were all hoping he'd get back out there one day. Just another member of the All-Star metal band in the sky. Rest in peace, Jeff.

Army Bronco
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
He is probably jamming out with Dimebag Darrell.

CoachChaz
05-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Of course he is. With Paul Gray on bass and Clive Burr on drums

weazel
05-03-2013, 10:33 AM
I was under the assumption that he died from complications of the spider bite.

Northman
05-03-2013, 10:40 AM
I was under the assumption that he died from complications of the spider bite.

Im not sure there is a definitive report right now. At least that ive seen. Its possible the venom of the spider bite did him in but he was also a notorious drinker for years and that also may have lead to the liver failure. Im sure when the autopsy is done they will give the details of it but from i remember he was staring to recover from the spider bite despite some of the tissue that had been eaten away.

CoachChaz
05-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Im not sure there is a definitive report right now. At least that ive seen. Its possible the venom of the spider bite did him in but he was also a notorious drinker for years and that also may have lead to the liver failure. Im sure when the autopsy is done they will give the details of it but from i remember he was staring to recover from the spider bite despite some of the tissue that had been eaten away.

If I'm not mistaken, the only issue he had from the spider bite was in his arm...which is why he hasnt been able to tour and play the last few years. They almost had to amputate it and he had been doing rehab to get the strength back.

Slick
05-03-2013, 01:39 PM
The last article I read was he died from liver failure as a result of a spider bite that gave him some flesh eating disease.

Army Bronco
05-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Of course he is. With Paul Gray on bass and Clive Burr on drumsDon't leave Cliff Button out!! They are all ragging on Kurt Cobain though.

CoachChaz
05-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Don't leave Cliff Button out!! They are all ragging on Kurt Cobain though.

I was just going with recent deaths. If we wanted to do an All-Star dead metalhead band, we could go on for hours

Poet
05-03-2013, 03:13 PM
What kind of spider bit him?

Slick
05-03-2013, 03:15 PM
The article I read didn't identify the spider.

Army Bronco
05-03-2013, 05:22 PM
What kind of spider bit him? I'm guessing Brown Recluse.

Northman
05-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Yea, i dont think it was ever known but given the type of necrosis i would hedge my bets on a brown recluse.

Army Bronco
05-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Don't leave Cliff Button out!! They are all ragging on Kurt Cobain though.

I was just going with recent deaths. If we wanted to do an All-Star dead metalhead band, we could go on for hours So true!! It might be fun though. But they are all still making fun of Kurt Cobains guitar skills and the fact that he shot himself because of fame or whatever. No Seau excuse here.

weazel
05-03-2013, 05:32 PM
damn, brown recluse are scary shit... we have tons of them around here too. I'm always careful when Im doing yard work or grabbing stuff our of the shed, because we always have a few recluse or black widows roaming around. Generally if you dont bother them they dont bother you, its when you mistakenly touch them that they defend themselves.

Northman
05-03-2013, 05:38 PM
damn, brown recluse are scary shit... we have tons of them around here too. I'm always careful when Im doing yard work or grabbing stuff our of the shed, because we always have a few recluse or black widows roaming around. Generally if you dont bother them they dont bother you, its when you mistakenly touch them that they defend themselves.

Yea, when i was living in Colorado i saw black widows all the time but out here in MD for the last 20 years ive seen maybe 3-4 throughout that time. Never seen a brown recluse at all and certainly dont want too. lol

chazoe60
05-03-2013, 05:46 PM
A metal band guitarist dying from a spider bite is almost too perfect. Don't take that the wrong way I'm not happy he died nor do I think it's funny, just sorta fitting in a weird way.

Poet
05-03-2013, 06:48 PM
I killed a Brown Recluse once. That was not a pleasant experience. I'm terrified of spiders.

CoachChaz
05-03-2013, 06:50 PM
A metal band guitarist dying from a spider bite is almost too perfect. Don't take that the wrong way I'm not happy he died nor do I think it's funny, just sorta fitting in a weird way.

Fittingly, when he survived it all, he said "Satan had his back"