PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen suffering from memory loss?

Broncos Mtnman
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
DENVER, Colo. (http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-bowlen-memory-loss-090209,0,4563356.story) - It's a hot topic in sports columns and talk shows. And it's an issue Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has raised himself: problems with short term memory loss.

Back in May, Denver Post Columnist Woody Paige said Bowlen told him he was in good health but "had experienced short term memory loss in recent months." In his recent ESPN blog, Rick Reilly raises the possibility that memory loss was a factor in the Jay Cutler-Josh McDaniels fiasco earlier his year.

Bowlen still insists quarterback Jay Cutler never called him and that's why he was traded. But Reilly claims several sources tell him Cutler did call Bowlen, not once, but twice.

We found an even earlier situation where Bowlen himself references memory issues.

According to NFL.com, in early March, Cutler, upset about Mike Shanahan being fired, said he had a conversation with Bowlen where the owner promised no changes to the offense.

NFL.com quotes Bowlen as saying, "I really have had no discussions with Jay. Now to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age and I'm not sure of that discussion."

Brandon Marshall says he had a meeting in June with Bowlen. Marshall's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg told that Bowlen told Marshall he was his favorite player, next to John Elway, and that he wanted him to be happy. However, Bowlen also told the Pro Bowl wide receiver that if he wanted to be traded, he would be, according to Steinberg.

The Broncos seem to have forgotten that too.

Is this a business or negotiating strategy? Or are Bowlen's admitted memory loss issues something more serious.

Dr. Alan Anderson, a Neurology Professor at the University of Colorado says a lot of things can cause memory loss. He emphasizes he's not trying to diagnose anyone and is not commenting specifically about Bowlen. But he says, in general, many things can cause memory loss issues, like medication or other medical issues or depression or drugs and alcohol.

Anderson, however, points out that it's one thing to forget details of a conversation, and another to forget that you ever had it. He says tests can pinpoint the cause of memory issues and can determine whether the problem is something serious, like Alzheimer's.

Anderson says anyone who has concerns about memory loss issues should check with their doctor.

The Broncos said they had no comment on this issue.

NightTrainLayne
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Give me a break. Bowlen told Marshall that he's his favorite player next to John Elway? That's patently ridiculous. . .I'm sure Bowlen doesn't "remember" saying that either. Sheesh!

Lonestar
09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
sounds like water under the bridge to me..

broncophan
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
lol.....:rolleyes:.....Keep on searching for reasons why your boy Cutler....is no longer a bronco.....
but the fact is ........he no longer wanted to play here.....

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
If anyone wants, go check out the interview with Joe Ellis and the sports guys on FM104.3TheFan. When Ellis was ask about Cutler, he said something to the affect that there is so much he could say, but will not, due to some privacy issue. Possibly, when Bowlen was ask certain things, maybe because of this privacy issue, he felt it best to say he could not remember?????

No one knows.

Broncos Mtnman
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
lol.....:rolleyes:.....Keep on searching for reasons why your boy Cutler....is no longer a bronco.....
but the fact is ........he no longer wanted to play here.....

This might have slipped your notice, but the article is about Bowlen, not Cutler.

:coffee:

MOtorboat
09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Give me a break. Bowlen told Marshall that he's his favorite player next to John Elway? That's patently ridiculous. . .I'm sure Bowlen doesn't "remember" saying that either. Sheesh!

Excellent post. It's quite obvious that people are just starting to make shit up in order to posture to two cry-babies.

gobroncsnv
09-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Makes you wonder why Bowlen said they had the phone records (and offered to show them) to prove his side of the story. Just sayin'...

Northman
09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Man, in this day and age i guess there must not be too much to write about. Rick Reilly must be bored to tears to try and come up with this sillyness.

Broncos Mtnman
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Makes you wonder why Bowlen said they had the phone records (and offered to show them) to prove his side of the story. Just sayin'...

And yet, he never produced them.

Just sayin'...

silkamilkamonico
09-02-2009, 11:04 PM
If Bowlen is suffering from any sort of memory loss, that certainly isn't good for the organization. Get someone to step in and help him so McDaniels can continue building Denver into an actual perenniel SuperBowl contender like we had in the 90's.

Superchop 7
09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Pat has been a good owner, I'm sure he knew he would catch hell, not an easy thing to bring out, but it does explain alot.

I would feel a helluva lot better if they brought John into the mix, I think Pat has been listening to a moron (Joe Ellis) long enough. John knows the town, the fan, and what we expect out of our football team. It would do alot to mend the rift in the fanbase.

Do you really think John would have let the Goodmans walk ? Pretty sure he would have stood his ground.

The rift with Cutler ? Brandon ? Who would know better than John what a player goes through, I never saw an article on what Cutler was giving away for Halloween.

It boils down to respect and credibility, none better than John on both counts.

Dean
09-03-2009, 06:47 AM

Don't Bowlen's phone records only show who he called and not who called him?:confused:

Dirk
09-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Don't Bowlen's phone records only show who he called and not who called him?:confused:

No. Phone records can show both. I work in the telecommunications industry and you can get records for both. Even if a call wasn't answered but only rang.

SoCalImport
09-03-2009, 08:39 AM
It seems likely to me that Someone like Pat Bowlen has one of those..um..what're they called?
Secretary/personal assistant.

Is it really reasonable to think that calls placed to Mr.Bowlen DON"T go through some sort of channels? If Pat was getting calls from his disgruntled star QB I'm sure someone else would have noticed.

Kaylore
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
What's hilarious about this is the comment was used in the context of him tired of remembering the old Super Bowls and that he wanted some new Super Bowl memories. He was trying to say he was tired of the glory nostalgia and wanted a team to win a new one in a clever way. Unfortunately it come across as confusing and only made people think Bowlen had memory issues.

NightTrainLayne
09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
What's hilarious about this is the comment was used in the context of him tired of remembering the old Super Bowls and that he wanted some new Super Bowl memories. He was trying to say he was tired of the glory nostalgia and wanted a team to win a new one in a clever way. Unfortunately it come across as confusing and only made people think Bowlen had memory issues.

Exactly. Bowlen = NTL in the humor department.

OldschoolFreak
09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh god. I'm having flashes of an Al Davisesque descent into NFL madness. I sure hope this story is nothing.

Northman
09-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Exactly. Bowlen = NTL in the humor department.

Yea, your definitely not funny.

jk :D

Dortoh
09-03-2009, 11:36 AM

Did you watch the Bowlen interview before the 1st preseason game? It was scary and I love the man but wow did he look old and tired

GEM
09-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Pat has been a good owner, I'm sure he knew he would catch hell, not an easy thing to bring out, but it does explain alot.

I would feel a helluva lot better if they brought John into the mix, I think Pat has been listening to a moron (Joe Ellis) long enough. John knows the town, the fan, and what we expect out of our football team. It would do alot to mend the rift in the fanbase.

Do you really think John would have let the Goodmans walk ? Pretty sure he would have stood his ground.

The rift with Cutler ? Brandon ? Who would know better than John what a player goes through, I never saw an article on what Cutler was giving away for Halloween.

It boils down to respect and credibility, none better than John on both counts.

So when he was listening to Joe Ellis when the Broncos were on your good side, it was ok.

Now that you don't like the way things are going, Joe Ellis is an idiot.

:lol:

Lonestar
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
No. Phone records can show both. I work in the telecommunications industry and you can get records for both. Even if a call wasn't answered but only rang.:salute::salute:

one of the advantages of caller ID.. we all know that Pat wanted to dump jay and he just decided not to pick up..

yeah that makes sense.. well I'm sure it does to 5-6 posters here..

T.K.O.
09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
i just wish he would "remember" to write brandon a check and make him shut up and catch footballs !
seriously i see no reason why the team cant sit down and write an incentive laiden contract that has plenty of "OUT" clauses for bad behavior on and off the field and get this b.s. settled.
i know brandon has made his own bed ,but....he will play somewhere and i sure as hell dont want him catching a 120 balls for kc,oak or s.d. !
hopefully he is seeing what mcD and everyone else is telling him... you get your paycheck after you do the work....not before !:salute:

gobroncsnv
09-03-2009, 10:09 PM
:salute::salute:

one of the advantages of caller ID.. we all know that Pat wanted to dump jay and he just decided not to pick up..

yeah that makes sense.. well I'm sure it does to 5-6 posters here..

For that matter, Jay could produce HIS phone records of having tried to call as well. Would be cool if one or BOTH sides would put this issue to rest, 'cause someone's lying.

Watchthemiddle
09-03-2009, 10:18 PM

Probably because this isn't C.S.I. and no one really cares anymore.

Lonestar
09-03-2009, 10:55 PM
For that matter, Jay could produce HIS phone records of having tried to call as well. Would be cool if one or BOTH sides would put this issue to rest, 'cause someone's lying.

does it really matter at this stage?

gobroncsnv
09-03-2009, 11:34 PM
guess not, just that it keeps coming up... but that's cool, I'M done with this one as well.

Poet
09-03-2009, 11:44 PM
I buy into Bowlen's memory not working.

I'm sure he forgot how to cope and deal with primma-donna players.

rcsodak
09-05-2009, 11:31 PM
This might have slipped your notice, but the article is about Bowlen, not Cutler.

:coffee:

lmao.......

....of course the two aren't entwined......

:laugh:

rcsodak
09-05-2009, 11:34 PM

???What kind of phones do you have, up in Wyoming? Wind-n-yell?

Dean
09-06-2009, 01:51 PM
???What kind of phones do you have, up in Wyoming? Wind-n-yell?

No. We have two cups with string stretched between them and of coarse the telegraph lines.

Meanwhile back to Bowlen. He just has trouble remembering where he hid the bottles. :confused:

JK no flame wars.

rcsodak
09-07-2009, 02:00 PM
No. We have two cups with string stretched between them and of coarse the telegraph lines.

Meanwhile back to Bowlen. He just has trouble remembering where he hid the bottles. :confused:

JK no flame wars.

Coach, if anybody on this board doesn't need to use stupid jokes, it's you.

Especially about Bowlen and unfounded rumors.

:tsk:

Watchthemiddle
10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I think Bowlen's memory is looking pretty good now.

4-0, best D in the league, proficient offense that no longer turns the ball over, Brilliant head coach.

Great off season moves Mr. Bowlen. :beer::elefant:

Shazam!
10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Ha ha!

Bronco Warrior
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Maybe Pat Bowlen needs to be offered immunity and witness protectionj from the media...maybe his memory would improve! lol! By the way Stress can cause partial memory loss or a "blanking out" of events..even at the time they happen. Petite mals are actually mini seizures that can cause you to 'space out' and have no memory of the event. I have had them myself...and I have schooling background in mental health treatment so..... .

Bronco Warrior
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
No. We have two cups with string stretched between them and of coarse the telegraph line.

You have the cans and strings already? My Mom and Stepdad live in Afton and they still have to use smoke signals and drums!!;)

weazel
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I would like to forget this whole topic...

Lonestar
10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I think Bowlen's memory is looking pretty good now.

4-0, best D in the league, proficient offense that no longer turns the ball over, Brilliant head coach.

Great off season moves Mr. Bowlen. :beer::elefant:

I was thinking much along the same lines when we won it yesterday..

for all those folks that were bashing Pat and a few more that hate Joe Ellis because we hired Mc Kid.. I hope by now you have it figured out this was a GOOD hire..

Lonestar
10-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Maybe Pat Bowlen needs to be offered immunity and witness protectionj from the media...maybe his memory would improve! lol! By the way Stress can cause partial memory loss or a "blanking out" of events..even at the time they happen. Petite mals are actually mini seizures that can cause you to 'space out' and have no memory of the event. I have had them myself...and I have schooling background in mental health treatment so..... .

well that explains alot..:salute:

Bronco Warrior
10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
well that explains alot..:salute:

Oh Fine! Make fun of the infirm! You know that was an education background as in degree in Clinical psychology right? Right? Huh? lmao!

Watchthemiddle
10-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I was thinking much along the same lines when we won it yesterday..

for all those folks that were bashing Pat and a few more that hate Joe Ellis because we hired Mc Kid.. I hope by now you have it figured out this was a GOOD hire..

Isn't it funny that most of the folks bashing Pat, calling McDaniels "mickey mouse" and wanting to see them fail even though they claimed to be "Bronco" fans don't really show up much around here anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sold their season tickets to start the season as well, or gave up the rights to them.