05-02-2013, 08:37 AM
I grade that video an A......nice job.

TXBRONC
05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW6cwmYIbgs

Good morning Broncos fans! Here's my Draft Grades video for you guys

Enjoy!

Em

Thanks Em. I always appreciate how you'll explain your logic as to how you arrive at decisions. I'm not always in full agreement with you but at the very least we know you put real thought into how you arrive at your conclusions.

I personally give Denver a B on this draft and don't think that's being homer. The reason I do is because I think the goal is that top three guys are all expected to contribute immediately. If they can Denver is the better for obviously. Dysert was good value because IIRC he was seen as mid round pick and we got him in the seventh. He has ability but I've heard that there is some question about mental toughness. When his team would get down his body language was that of some who was whipped. That reminds of Kyle Orton. One other thing, Elway admitted that he reached on Webster. He doesn't think it was a huge reach a reach nonetheless fwiw.

Btw where did you have Williams going in Mock? I know I could look it up but I'm lazy.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
What grade did he give?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I give the draft a B for potential impact. I believe we picked up two guys that will have an immediate impact at two positions of need, which is a huge bonus on a team with the depth and talent we have.

The rest of the guys are picks based on upside and ST's.

I wanna see the OT from Virginia Tech working as a gunner in the pre-season. :laugh:

Skinny
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
What grade did he give?
C+.

TXBRONC
05-02-2013, 10:45 AM
What grade did he give?

Emory gave Denver a C+.

turftoad
05-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks Em. Good stuff!

EmDiggy
05-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks Em. I always appreciate how you'll explain your logic as to how you arrive at decisions. I'm not always in full agreement with you but at the very least we know you put real thought into how you arrive at your conclusions.

I personally give Denver a B on this draft and don't think that's being homer. The reason I do is because I think the goal is that top three guys are all expected to contribute immediately. If they can Denver is the better for obviously. Dysert was good value because IIRC he was seen as mid round pick and we got him in the seventh. He has ability but I've heard that there is some question about mental toughness. When his team would get down his body language was that of some who was whipped. That reminds of Kyle Orton. One other thing, Elway admitted that he reached on Webster. He doesn't think it was a huge reach a reach nonetheless fwiw.

Btw where did you have Williams going in Mock? I know I could look it up but I'm lazy.

Thanks Txbronc! I didn't have him in my 1st Rd.. I didn't see him as a 1st round type of DT...more of a late 2nd/3rd guy. I felt like he and Reddick both underachieved this season

Simple Jaded
05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Who did you have the Broncos taking, there, guy?

EmDiggy
05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Who did you have the Broncos taking, there, guy?

I had them nabbing Werner from FSU in 2/3 of my mocks my Jan I believe I had them with Te'o

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I had them nabbing Werner from FSU in 2/3 of my mocks my Jan I believe I had them with Te'o

I wasn't too high on Werner. I know he has a high motor, but I just don't see the Jared Allen comparisons. I think Allen has a much bigger frame. I wonder if he's the next Jared Allen, or the next John Engleberg.

Is the truth somewhere in the middle?

TXBRONC
05-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks Txbronc! I didn't have him in my 1st Rd.. I didn't see him as a 1st round type of DT...more of a late 2nd/3rd guy. I felt like he and Reddick both underachieved this season

I'm little surprised which doesn't happen very often. Many of your counterparts had him going in the first round.

It looks like he had pretty good year. He had a few less tackles than he did in 2011 but did double his sack production.

Lancane
05-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Nice analysis EM, and I concur with some of the draftees you like, give Dysert. There is no way that he is a better quarterback prospect then Osweiler nor as position readily gifted, I know you favor the more mobile quarterbacks like Wilson, but I think Osweiler is more that pocket passing quarterback that I believe Elway and Fox prefer and pretty much they've confirmed. I think the whole league scratched their collective head about the Webster pick, it was in my opinion the biggest reach this regime has made in three drafts. I like Montee Ball, but he wasn't my top back but Top Three, so I have no qualms about the pick. Smith is a relative unknown, but I love his ability and pass rushing skills and instincts, he could end up the steal of the draft for the Broncos. A 'C' grade is pretty spot on.

Chef Zambini
05-05-2013, 11:10 AM
if only we still had bobby turner...alas...

TXBRONC
05-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Nice analysis EM, and I concur with some of the draftees you like, give Dysert. There is no way that he is a better quarterback prospect then Osweiler nor as position readily gifted, I know you favor the more mobile quarterbacks like Wilson, but I think Osweiler is more that pocket passing quarterback that I believe Elway and Fox prefer and pretty much they've confirmed. I think the whole league scratched their collective head about the Webster pick, it was in my opinion the biggest reach this regime has made in three drafts. I like Montee Ball, but he wasn't my top back but Top Three, so I have no qualms about the pick. Smith is a relative unknown, but I love his ability and pass rushing skills and instincts, he could end up the steal of the draft for the Broncos. A 'C' grade is pretty spot on.

I would still give them a B or maybe B-. Anyway you look at it's still piliminary grade that will either go up or down.

G_Money
05-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Immediate draft grades are always:

1) How I feel
2) About what I've seen from these players
3) and how I guess that will translate

It ain't wrong or right. It's just a statement of impressions. I always try to get my thoughts down about a draft, but more so that I remember what I thought and can reflect back on MY perceptions of the drafting process in later years and refine my assessments going forward. When I said Woodyard would be a fine starting Will in the league based on that package of skills and his emotional makeup, was I right? Yes. When I thought Moreno would be great, was I right? No. Okay, why?

In 3 years I'll have a better understanding of this draft. Right now my impression is:
- Sly will be very good situationally in the beginning and round into form as an all around stud in 2-3 years.
- Montee Ball sees himself as TD or Curtis Martin, and I can't really argue with him. Hopefully the health of Martin with the rest of Davis's gifts. If he doesn't make that he's a several-years-younger Mike Anderson, and there are worse things.
- Webster shocked me, but there are worse things than a tackling, physical corner. We'll see.
- Q. Smith could have gone in the 3rd, so I'll just pretend he and Webster are switched. Love his upside.
- King is a decent possession receiver. Hopefully he doesn't have to get on the field next year but as depth he's fine.
- Painter is a raw guy with tons of physical gifts on the OL. Totally worth drafting and trying to find another Polumbus type.
- Dysert has plenty of skills and some glaring weaknesses. Sitting him behind Manning isn't the worst thing to happen to a young player, and he has starter potential if everything falls right. Fine for taking a flier.

Did we get any immediate starters this year? Probably 2, in Ball and Sly.

Contributors? Webster will play some on Special Teams and maybe dime packages (depending on Bolden). Smith won't likely get a lot of playing time but he could be starting in a couple of years so I'm not looking down my nose at that pick, especially if he can force his way into the mix this year. Painter should just be depth this year but could be a starter in a couple years too.

It's a good depth draft with starter potential down the line and some guys with significant upside. If you value immediate starters at non-RB positions this isn't the draft for you, because even Sly may not be "Starting" and it can take a couple of years for DTs to work up to their potential.

It feels pretty solid, so I give it a solid rating. If Ball breaks down and Sly never comes through on that promise it'll look pretty light in useful players. If they both come through, however, and Smith becomes a starting pass-rushing demon while Painter is a nasty OL and Webster is a nickel or even #2... it looks like an incredible draft.

Right now I go with the B-to-B-minus of TXBRONC. But again, just impressions. I barely remember Webster at all from this year, or Painter. Of course, I wouldn't have remembered much of TD either - that doesn't make them bad players.

~G

TXBRONC
05-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Immediate draft grades are always:

1) How I feel
2) About what I've seen from these players
3) and how I guess that will translate

It ain't wrong or right. It's just a statement of impressions. I always try to get my thoughts down about a draft, but more so that I remember what I thought and can reflect back on MY perceptions of the drafting process in later years and refine my assessments going forward. When I said Woodyard would be a fine starting Will in the league based on that package of skills and his emotional makeup, was I right? Yes. When I thought Moreno would be great, was I right? No. Okay, why?

In 3 years I'll have a better understanding of this draft. Right now my impression is:
- Sly will be very good situationally in the beginning and round into form as an all around stud in 2-3 years.
- Montee Ball sees himself as TD or Curtis Martin, and I can't really argue with him. Hopefully the health of Martin with the rest of Davis's gifts. If he doesn't make that he's a several-years-younger Mike Anderson, and there are worse things.
- Webster shocked me, but there are worse things than a tackling, physical corner. We'll see.
- Q. Smith could have gone in the 3rd, so I'll just pretend he and Webster are switched. Love his upside.
- King is a decent possession receiver. Hopefully he doesn't have to get on the field next year but as depth he's fine.
- Painter is a raw guy with tons of physical gifts on the OL. Totally worth drafting and trying to find another Polumbus type.
- Dysert has plenty of skills and some glaring weaknesses. Sitting him behind Manning isn't the worst thing to happen to a young player, and he has starter potential if everything falls right. Fine for taking a flier.

Did we get any immediate starters this year? Probably 2, in Ball and Sly.

Contributors? Webster will play some on Special Teams and maybe dime packages (depending on Bolden). Smith won't likely get a lot of playing time but he could be starting in a couple of years so I'm not looking down my nose at that pick, especially if he can force his way into the mix this year. Painter should just be depth this year but could be a starter in a couple years too.

It's a good depth draft with starter potential down the line and some guys with significant upside. If you value immediate starters at non-RB positions this isn't the draft for you, because even Sly may not be "Starting" and it can take a couple of years for DTs to work up to their potential.

It feels pretty solid, so I give it a solid rating. If Ball breaks down and Sly never comes through on that promise it'll look pretty light in useful players. If they both come through, however, and Smith becomes a starting pass-rushing demon while Painter is a nasty OL and Webster is a nickel or even #2... it looks like an incredible draft.

Right now I go with the B-to-B-minus of TXBRONC. But again, just impressions. I barely remember Webster at all from this year, or Painter. Of course, I wouldn't have remembered much of TD either - that doesn't make them bad players.

~G

I'm not as articulate as you are in breaking things down the way you do but this pretty much sums up why see this as B to B minus draft. I've tried to find game film on Quranterus Smith from what I found I think he might be starting by next year. I wasn't just watching highlights of him sacking the quarterback but also clips of him against the run he not a pushover against the run.