PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Marshall interest at issue

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2009, 12:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4439877

The Denver Broncos are carefully monitoring any public comments made by the New York Jets that might indicate the team is tampering with suspended receiver Brandon Marshall, sources said Wednesday.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has consistently stated the team intends for Marshall, who wants either a new contract or a trade, to play for Denver this season. On Friday, Denver suspended Marshall through Sept. 5 for "detrimental" conduct.

The Broncos want Marshall to accept playing for them as the only outcome so that he will conform his behavior. The concern for the Broncos is those attempts could be undermined if the brooding Pro Bowl player becomes convinced a trade is possible.

Citing a source, Newsday reported on Wednesday that the Jets are "seriously considering" making a play for Marshall soon.

There has been no contact between the Broncos and the Jets as of Wednesday morning, sources said.

McDaniels has not singled out a specific episode, but said Marshall's suspension resulted from a series of incidents. At a recent practice, Marshall went out during pre-practice warm-ups and walked while the rest of the team ran. He punted a ball away instead of handing it to a ball boy, and swatted a pass thrown to him. His actions were caught on video and broadcast by KMGH-TV.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

broncofaninfla
09-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I found this related story on PFT

Report: Broncos monitoring Jets for tampering

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2009 12:32 PM ET
With the Jets reportedly considering a trade for Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, the Broncos reportedly will be keeping an eye on the things the Jets say and do on the topic.

According to Ed Werder of ESPN, the Broncos are "carefully monitoring any public comments made (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4439877)" by the Jets for evidence of tampering.

But the Jets are smart enough (then again, if they're interested in Marshall, maybe they aren't) to realize that they can't make any public comments about Marshall. And the Broncos are smart enough (then again, because they traded Jay Cutler, maybe they aren't) to realize that the Jets are smart enough not to provide any smoking-gun evidence.

So what's going on here? Our guess is that the report from Werder is a warning to the Jets to refrain from engaging in any private comments that would constitute tampering.

And that's not simply paranoia on the part of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, who nevertheless fidgets enough while speaking to come off as someone who thinks everyone is out to get him. McDaniels was starting his first season as offensive coordinator of the Patriots when receiver Deion Branch held out due to unhappiness with the final year of his rookie contract, and ultimately was traded to Seattle.

After doing the deal with the Seahawks, the Pats filed tampering charges against the Jets (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/09/12/patriots_trade_branch_to_seahawks_and_file_tamperi ng_charge_against_jets/).

So that Belichick/Pioli versus Mangini/Tannenbaum vibe likely has carried over to McDaniels, with the former Pats lieutenant leery of what the Jets might be doing behind the scenes to make Marshall aware of what, hypothetically, he would be paid if, hypothetically, he were traded to New York.

silkamilkamonico
09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Jets fans think they are Brandon marshall away from the SuperBowl. I'm wondering if the organization really feels that way too?

broncofaninfla
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Jets fans think they are Brandon marshall away from the SuperBowl. I'm wondering if the organization really feels that way too?

I have a TON of friends that are NFL fans for various teams. Every single one of them thought we were idiots to trade Cutler and all would take Marshall in a heartbeat despite his issues. I wouldn't be suprised if the organiztion does feel they need a player like Marshall to challenge for the division.

Northman
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a TON of friends that are NFL fans for various teams. Every single one of them thought we were idiots to trade Cutler and all would take Marshall in a heartbeat despite his issues. I wouldn't be suprised if the organiztion does feel they need a player like Marshall to challenge for the division.

Your friends must not be Ravens fans then. There was a lot of Raven fans who wanted no part of BM.

silkamilkamonico
09-02-2009, 12:53 PM

LMAO

They aren't challenging for the division. They aren't even a .500 team, with Marshall. Their Qb play will be up and down, at best, throughout the year. Their oline isn't that good. Their recieving options are not "solid" by any means. Their defense doesn't even look that good, and certainly not as strong as they've been in the past.

LMAO at Jets fans actually thinking they can contend with the Patrios this year, let alone the SuperBowl.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
1-15 here we come!

What a joke.

I'm sure he'll be traded for a used jock strap when all is said and done.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
1-15 here we come!

What a joke.

If he continues to act like a 12 year old, what suggestions do you have then?

skycoyote
09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Do you think Brandon Marshall reads this forum?

Northman
09-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Well, we would be getting our money's worth than. :lol:

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
The Jets aren't contenders, but they will be starting a rookie QB this year with a couple of talented RBs. They have a coach that will fix their defense. THey add a player with the quality of Marshall, and things change in a hurry for that team, NEXT year. Marshall would be a HUGE benefit to Sanchez.

skycoyote
09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
What if Sanchez has a year like Matt Ryan did. Then Marshall would be a huge factor for the Jets.

nbenallo33
09-02-2009, 02:18 PM
as long as he dosnt end up with jay cutler

Northman
09-02-2009, 02:20 PM
as long as he dosnt end up with jay cutler

Honestly, i wouldnt care if he did. The Bears are no longer my concern.

G_Money
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
He's not gonna play for us. Just trade him.

I'd be encouraging the Jets to tell him how many tens of millions they want to pay him and how many women he can punch in NY and get away with it. Then he can be excited and convince them to offer up more to get him so he can go own the AFC East.

I'm still annoyed that we're morons in the player-relations dept but now that we've totally screwed that pooch again (we are becoming highly adept pooch-screwers, which is not exactly the skill I was hoping the FO would be honing) I just want some draft picks and some closure on the situation.

Take the picks and/or whatever players back we get, and move on.

~G

Superchop 7
09-03-2009, 08:41 AM
The team that makes the most sense is the Giants, they can win the superbowl with him.

No way they win the superbowl without him.

I think Coughlin would be good for Brandon. (rude awakening)

Ravage!!!
09-03-2009, 08:59 AM
The team that makes the most sense is the Giants, they can win the superbowl with him.

No way they win the superbowl without him.

I think Coughlin would be good for Brandon. (rude awakening)

I thought the Giants were a much better fit than the Jets since Plaxico's departure. But it doesn't seem to be showing up from their end.