PDA

View Full Version : Brandstater to start Thurs

LRtagger
09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4438529

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- With the Denver Broncos' top two quarterbacks sidelined by injuries, rookie Tom Brandstater will start the team's preseason finale Thursday night against Arizona.

Brandstater, a sixth-round pick out of Fresno State, played more than a half in Sunday's 27-17 loss to Chicago, leading the Broncos to two touchdowns after coming on for the injured Kyle Orton.

Orton gashed and apparently dislocated his right index finger when he struck a defender's helmet with his passing hand during a follow through.

The Broncos were already without backup Chris Simms, who suffered a left high ankle sprain during an exhibition game the week before at Seattle.

Brandstater saw his first action as a pro when he replaced Simms on short notice and looked overwhelmed, taking four sacks and completing one of his four throws for 1 yard against the Seahawks. But he appeared much more poised in his most recent outing, completing 8 of 12 passes for 110 yards, including a long of 54 yards to fellow rookie Kenny McKinley.

Coach Josh McDaniels said he remained hopeful that both Orton and Simms would be able to return to practice next week and be available for the Broncos' Sept. 13 opener at Cincinnati. But he also said there was no set timetable for their return and left open the possibility that one or both could miss the first regular season game.

Neither Brandstater nor fourth-stringer Ingle Martin has had a meaningful snap during the regular season.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Overtime
09-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Alright!!!! Get to see some more of my boy!!!!!! :beer:

TXBRONC
09-01-2009, 06:53 PM

I'm not surprised. I wonder if he'll get to play the entire game? I don't think it could for him to get those reps.

LRtagger
09-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I doubt it...I'm sure Martin will get plenty of reps especially considering we don't know Orton or Simms status for the opener.

Italianmobstr7
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm glad Brandstater will get to start. Hope he does well.

Bill Devaroe
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Bill Devaroe also reported this- sorry forgot to post!

XOXO,
Shasta

Superchop 7
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Last pre-season game.....perfect game to get some reps for the rookie.

TXBRONC
09-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I doubt it...I'm sure Martin will get plenty of reps especially considering we don't know Orton or Simms status for the opener.

I don't know LR. How much can Martin get down in a week and a half?

sneakers
09-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Brandstarter!

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
As if there was anyone else. Seriously.

Anyone remember that moment in Any Given Sunday when the coach told Beamon he was playing but not to worry about being benched because there was nobody left? lol, thats what we have here.

NightTrainLayne
09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if this was somehow one of those lucky breaks, where a new all-star was born and takes off on a HOF career. ...

Prolly not gonna happen, but it feels good to dream right now. :D

NameUsedBefore
09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I hope he starts against Cincy too.

Orton is a dead-end; Brandstater has some potential.

FanInAZ
09-02-2009, 01:27 AM
I made TB my adopted Bronco last night, today he's the starter. (I know, he's only filling in for the injured starter.)

Elevation inc
09-02-2009, 02:32 AM
well im stoked about this.......go figure....LOL

Elevation inc
09-02-2009, 02:33 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if this was somehow one of those lucky breaks, where a new all-star was born and takes off on a HOF career. ...

Prolly not gonna happen, but it feels good to dream right now. :D

as northman said with the current situation, maybe he is the next wille beamon:lol:

Dirk
09-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Unless he comes out showing us something more than KO or CS has, I sure hope KO gets well quickly!

In-com-plete
09-02-2009, 06:11 AM
But the good news is . . . Orton will be ready for the opener.

Atleast that's what the guy on Sportscenter said.

I assume he's not a Broncos fan.

:coffee:

broncofaninfla
09-02-2009, 10:07 AM
But the good news is . . . Orton will be ready for the opener.

Atleast that's what the guy on Sportscenter said.

I assume he's not a Broncos fan.

:coffee:

Orton couldn't throw past ten yards with a healthy throwing hand. I doubt he will be any better with a painful finger injury.

underrated29
09-02-2009, 11:15 AM

What a horsecrap article. First kyle busted his finger on the hand of the defender not his helmet. Secondly and more importantly Brandstater looked fine in the last game before the bears. He looked fine running for his life. Poor kid didnt even get a chance to throw because he was being attacked left and right.

That backup OL sucked balls! Of course he seemed more poised against the bears you idiot. He had an offensive line in front of him.

as for Tom, i am excited to see him roll. I think Orton is still the best guy for the job. But Tom Brady got his big break when he filled in for injured Drew. Maybe we can get lucky with our Tom Brad.