PDA

View Full Version : Despite denials, Broncos trying to trade wide receiver Marshall

broken12
09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Despite denials, Broncos trying to trade wide receiver Marshall
By Mark Miller

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Sunday that his team isn't going to trade wide receiver Brandon Marshall(notes). But the word is that the team is trying to deal him and would love to get rid of him. He hasn't exactly been Mr. Sunshine in the locker room lately, which has not surprisingly helped his chances of being traded.

Remember that McDaniels said earlier this year that the team wouldn't trade quarterback Jay Cutler(notes) and then they ditched Cutler off to the Chicago Bears.

What isn't clear is how many teams are in on the Marshall talks. Some say there a bunch of teams talking to the Broncos but there are others who believe that not too many want to bring Marshall's immaturity into the locker room.

No doubt plenty of teams would like his 12.2 yards per reception average from last year, though.

Source: ProFootballTalk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

MOtorboat
09-01-2009, 04:17 PM
He won't be traded unless Denver feels fully compensated...and I doubt that happens.

underrated29
09-01-2009, 04:18 PM
better freaking not be. I dont care how much of a douche he is being. We need him.

Like Bad.

honz
09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Who is Mark Miller? Also, is it a good thing when your source is PFT?

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
better freaking not be. I dont care how much of a douche he is being. We need him.

Like Bad.

We need him only if he removes the ME bag over his head and replaces it with the TEAM bag. If he does not, what good will he be?

FanInAZ
09-01-2009, 04:24 PM
This is like when a company brings in their big wigs to ensure all the employees that there will be no lay-offs. It's a clear indecation that you need to up date your resume.

skycoyote
09-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I just found this is this old news? Check it out. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/246434-wrs-boldin-marshall-on-the-move-three-team-deal-possibly-in-works

broken12
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
listening now to 1043 the fan and there talking about how medaniels is favoring the pats ex players in practice and how putzier is saying that behind the scenes more players are upset in the direction of the team...

SOCALORADO.
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Good. trade him.
But DEN better get some serious firepower.
Good player and high pick and i am satisfied.

Lonestar
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
We need him only if he removes the ME bag over his head and replaces it with the TEAM bag. If he does not, what good will he be?

actually when he hairs up and becomes a man that accepts that everything does not revolve around him..

elsid13
09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
listening now to 1043 the fan and there talking about how medaniels is favoring the pats ex players in practice and how putzier is saying that behind the scenes more players are upset in the direction of the team...

What did they mean by favoring?

topscribe
09-01-2009, 04:31 PM

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/anon.gif What bag is it going to be, Brandon?

:D

-----

underrated29
09-01-2009, 04:31 PM

well, on the field we have never seen him really wearing the me bag or any other kind of bad. Normally he is wearing the beast bag. Until he shows me otherwise there i am going to believe he will.

jrelway
09-01-2009, 04:37 PM
can we trade mcdaniels for a 7th round pick?

Day1BroncoFan
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Who is "they"?

Is Putzier saying that to "them" and "they" are saying it or did you hear Putzier say it?

GEM
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Going back and listening to the Putzier interview online.

GEM
09-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Who is "they"?

Is Putzier saying that to "them" and "they" are saying it or did you hear Putzier say it?

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1135331

Listen for yourself.

Lonestar
09-01-2009, 04:46 PM
well, on the field we have never seen him really wearing the me bag or any other kind of bad. Normally he is wearing the best bag. Until he shows me otherwise there i am going to believe he will.

but in order to be on the field you have to know the play book, which he does not..

I have always said he is a warrior that should be put in a cage until game day.. to protect himself from being his worst enemy

GEM
09-01-2009, 04:47 PM
It sounds like he's a lot more pissed off about someone on the team not giving it their all and still being there. He giving his all and getting cut. I think we all know who he is talking about.

Day1BroncoFan
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Listen for yourself.

Listening right now, thanks GEM. You da man, um... woman, sorry.

Thnikkaman
09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
It sounds like he's a lot more pissed off about someone on the team not giving it their all and still being there. He giving his all and getting cut. I think we all know who he is talking about.

The long snapper?

:pound:

----------------
Now playing: Flying Lotus – Roberta Flack (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/flying+lotus/track/roberta+flack)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

skycoyote
09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
This is an old article but I found it interesting maybe you will too. If you don't like it please don't bewilder me for sharing it on the forum, I'm bored and have nothing else to do. lol

Report: Bowlen To Aid Marshall Trade
Posted by Tom Curran: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:15 PM
The agent for Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall said that Marshall did request a trade during his meeting last week with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

And Bowlen told Marshall he would do everything in his "power to accomodate his wishes," according to agent Kennard McGuire.

Josina Anderson, a reporter for KDVR's Fox 31has blogged and tweeted this news saying that McGuire told her, "Yes, there was a meeting between Brandon and Mr. Bowlen. There was a request for a trade. Mr. Bowlen has said that ownership will do everything in its power to accomodate his wishes."

It's worth noting that McGuire and, by extension, Bowlen, used the word "ownership" as opposed to "team".

This could allow Bowlen to say that he was overruled on this football matter by the coaching staff and didn't see fit to emasculate them further in this offseason from hell.

Either way the Broncos are heading into dangerous and uncharted waters here.

Has any team ever acquiesced to the trade demands of their two best offensive players in an offseason? And what is the fallout if they do? Do more players make a run for the lifeboats? What do you do if Champ Bailey says next that he's ready to move on?

Marshall is underpaid relative to his onfield production (set to make $2.2 million this season). He is the best young receiver in the game. He is also prone to getting in trouble with the police, has a history of violence against women and doesn't really seem an ideal teammate or locker room guy.

How do you set the value on a guy like that who, given that he seems to have no qualms about being a distraction, may eventually force your hand if you don't deal him?

Somebody will take Brandon Marshall off the Broncos hands. And Denver will be able to say that he - like Jay Cutler - is somebody else's headache. But the price of having a distraction-free locker room is getting unprecedentedly high.

GEM
09-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Jeb said that this team has a long way to go to get back to the place they were when he was on the team in 06. No news there and he hasn't said a word about players not being happy or anything like that. That was total bs. He didn't say an effing word about favoring Pats players, didn't say a word about dissention in the locker room.

Broken....you are full of it. Jeb never said any of the ish you talked about. :mad:

honz
09-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Broken is a McD hater...not a surprise.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2009, 04:58 PM

I heard it when he was on, and here is the link - I must have missed it twice, as I did not hear Putz, Scott or Al state that McD is favoring the pats x players.

G_Money
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
That's why I rely on you for stuff like this, GEM.

Women are so much more level-headed and rational than men about sports. :D

Also, you'd gut squirrels and strangle people with the entrails until they coughed up the truth about your Broncos, so that's a bonus...

~G

GEM
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Y'all can listen live right now. Sandy would have his head so far up Putz's ass to get that kind of info from him if it were true....they aren't talking about Putz...they're talking about Cutler.

D1g1tal j1m
09-01-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't mind people not favoring McD and some of his moves this off-season, but to skew reports to fit your views when the reports in no way support your views, is outlandish and unnecessary and just makes others not taking you seriously again with your future rants.

Lonestar

Also, you'd gut squirrels and strangle people with the entrails until they coughed up the truth about your Broncos, so that's a bonus...

~G

between Gem, Frau and Carol we have our own Bovine Excrement detectors they will ferret our the Truth and call anyone that tries to lay some down..

kudos to them

topscribe
I just found this is this old news? Check it out. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/246434-wrs-boldin-marshall-on-the-move-three-team-deal-possibly-in-works

Hmmm . . . that has Arizona parting with Matt Leinart for Marshall. That really
doesn't make sense because, although Kurt Warner is one of the premier QBs
in the league, he is no spring chicken. It would seem the Cardinals would be
turning loose of their QB of the future.

------

Day1BroncoFan
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
broken cred for broken

FanInAZ
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM

Listen for yourself.

He knows that if wants another chance in the NFL that he needs to keep his mouth shut. If he doesn't get it, then he's going to tell all in his next interview!

GEM
Hmmm . . . that has Arizona parting with Matt Leinart for Marshall. That really
doesn't make sense because, although Kurt Warner is one of the premier QBs
in the league, he is no spring chicken. It would seem the Cardinals would be
turning loose of their QB of the future.

------

That and the fact that they already have Fitzgerald and Boldin. The best WR tandem in football.

Denver Native (Carol)
The agent for Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall said that Marshall did request a trade during his meeting last week with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen.

And Bowlen told Marshall he would do everything in his "power to accomodate his wishes," according to agent Kennard McGuire.

OK - so, if true, Bowlen told Marshall IN JUNE, that he would do everything in his power to trade him.

So, the Broncos started shopping Marshall in June, and NO ONE would bite, BECAUSE he was facing a trial in August, and if found guilty, would face a substantial suspension.

DAMN YOU BOWLEN - don't you know that you should have MADE a team take Brandon off your hands????? Did you NOT realize that you have that power??????

GEM
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
He knows that if wants another chance in the NFL that he needs to keep his mouth shut. If he doesn't get it, then he's going to tell all in his next interview!

That has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the fact that broken said that Putz said those things. Perhaps he might....but it was reported that he did. In fact, YOU have no idea what he'll say. If you listen to the interview...he is pissed that Marshall has a job after all his offseason bs, and he who has been at everything and working his ass off is cut.

Slick
09-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Jeb said that this team has a long way to go to get back to the place they were when he was on the team in 06. No news there and he hasn't said a word about players not being happy or anything like that. That was total bs. He didn't say an effing word about favoring Pats players, didn't say a word about dissention in the locker room.

Broken....you are full of it. Jeb never said any of the ish you talked about. :mad:

He did sugarcoat his answer to Hastings when asked about the state of the locker room. He couldn't really be completely honest for fear of burning bridges. I'm sure you picked up on that though.

Thanks for linking the interview.

pnbronco
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM

~G

Thank you Gem and Carol!!!! I knew it didn't sound right. He didn't say one word about McD, he was just bummed that he worked ALL OFF SEASON and still got cut before the last game.

I actually kind of like squirrels, but there are some others, hmmmmm...... I can tell I'm ticked off when I first wrote cut I spelled gut, be warned.....:D

underrated29
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
WOW THERE is 50 people in this thread right now............

Thats a lot for.....well this little thread.

GEM
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
He did sugarcoat his answer to Hastings when asked about the state of the locker room. He couldn't really be completely honest for fear of burning bridges. I'm sure you picked up on that though.

Thanks for linking the interview.

I got that completely. But NOWHERE in the interview did it even come up that Pats players were being favored. NOWHERE in there did he say that the players were upheaving against McDaniels.

Broken said it completely to flame the board.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I got that completely. But NOWHERE in the interview did it even come up that Pats players were being favored. NOWHERE in there did he say that the players were upheaving against McDaniels.

Broken also probably had no idea that for all phone interviews on TheFan, they post them on their site :lol:

Slick
09-01-2009, 05:13 PM

I'm naive like that sometimes.

pnbronco
09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm naive like that sometimes.

and yet we still love you....

Gimpygod
09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Not sure why broken decided to lie right there but maybe we can get some positive traction from his fib. Jeb doesn't really need to say patriots are being favored because every patriot has stuck to the team. Maybe they are being favored because their buddies or maybe they are being favored because they know this amazing scheme that produces upwards of four points per game with the starting lineup... who knows? The good thing I do know is that everyone agrees your credibility is shot once you are found out in one lie (Not to mention many):

"The injury is nothing serious"
McDaniels in reference to Orten's dislocated finger that protruded through his skin.

Done and done.:coffee: (Don't know why I put that I hate coffee , just thought it was protocol on this board or punctuation after a point you believe to be irrefutable)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Not sure why broken decided to lie right there but maybe we can get some positive traction from his fib. Jeb doesn't really need to say patriots are being favored because every patriot has stuck to the team. Maybe they are being favored because their buddies or maybe they are being favored because they know this amazing scheme that produces upwards of four points per game with the starting lineup... who knows? The good thing I do know is that everyone agrees your credibility is shot once you are found out in one lie (Not to mention many):

"The injury is nothing serious"
McDaniels in reference to Orten's dislocated finger that protruded through his skin.

Done and done.:coffee: (Don't know why I put that I hate coffee , just thought it was protocol on this board or punctuation after a point you believe to be irrefutable)

From above post:

"Jeb doesn't really need to say patriots are being favored because every patriot has stuck to the team."

This is the 1st cut, besides Torian, who was hurt a few weeks ago, and it was 4 players only??????

FanInAZ
09-01-2009, 05:47 PM
That has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the fact that broken said that Putz said those things. Perhaps he might....but it was reported that he did. In fact, YOU have no idea what he'll say. If you listen to the interview...he is pissed that Marshall has a job after all his offseason bs, and he who has been at everything and working his ass off is cut.

My last post was my personal assessment of the interview that had nothig to do with brokens manufactured quotes. Its clear to me that he was biting his tongue. What's the first clue I pick up on that lead me to this conclution?

When he was asked what he thought about were the team was going. He responded at about the 6:20 to go mark in the interview, "Without burning any bridges..." This result in the co-hosts laughing as if they pick up on the same thing I did.

With 25 seconds left in the interview the one of the co-hosts said that if he ever wanted to comeback and do radio that they would love to have him. At about the 20 seconds to go make that co-host said, "...and then we will burn the hell out of those bridges." Because of of the co-hosts laughing, you can barely hear Putz respond at the 17 second to go mark, "I'll do that."

After more laughter and one of the co-host saying, "we will let you light those bridges up...I didn't even ask you about Jay Cutler." At about the 7 seconds to go mark he reponded, "I've got a lot to say."

SmilinAssasSin27
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
bye bye Brandon

ursamajor
09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/anon.gif What bag is it going to be, Brandon?

-----So long as it is not a McDonald's bag

claymore
09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
So long as it is not a McDonald's bag

He would probably suffocate, and we wouldnt get anything. The SOB would do it just to spite us!

GEM
09-01-2009, 05:52 PM
My last post was my personal assessment of the interview that had nothig to do with brokens manufactured quotes. Its clear to me that he was biting his tongue. What's the first clue I pick up on that lead me to this conclution?

When he was asked what he thought about were the team was going. He responded at about the 6:20 to go mark in the interview, "Without burning any bridges..." This result in the co-hosts laughing as if they pick up on the same thing I did.

With 25 seconds left in the interview the one of the co-hosts said that if he ever wanted to comeback and do radio that they would love to have him. At about the 20 seconds to go make that co-host said, "...and then we will burn the hell out of those bridges." Because of of the co-hosts laughing, you can barely hear Putz respond at the 17 second to go mark, "I'll do that."

After more laughter and one of the co-host saying, "we will let you light those bridges up...I didn't even ask you about Jay Cutler." At about the 7 seconds to go mark he reponded, "I've got a lot to say."

That was not my argument. I'm sure he does have a lot to say. What he DIDN'T say was that the ex Patriots have received any favored treatment. What he DIDN'T say is that there is dissention in the locker room.

I'm sure Putz is pissed. He just got cut. It may be the last chance he gets to play the game he loves. Perhaps all those thoughts are in his head...but he DIDN'T say any of those things.

It's one thing to divulge what a guy says. It's another to try to make your own assumption about what a guy says. It's a completely different matter to completely lie and say the guy said something when he didn't say anything like that.

I agree with you that there are probably things he wanted to say, probably not very favorable to the Denver Broncos. What those things are, I don't know. I'll wait til he feels comfortable saying them.

Dortoh
09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
You know what the Broncos, McD, Bowlen and the fans really need.

A ******* win on Thursday before Bronco Nation implodes

FanInAZ
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
That was not my argument. I'm sure he does have a lot to say. What he DIDN'T say was that the ex Patriots have received any favored treatment. What he DIDN'T say is that there is dissention in the locker room.

I'm sure Putz is pissed. He just got cut. It may be the last chance he gets to play the game he loves. Perhaps all those thoughts are in his head...but he DIDN'T say any of those things.

It's one thing to divulge what a guy says. It's another to try to make your own assumption about what a guy says. It's a completely different matter to completely lie and say the guy said something when he didn't say anything like that.

I agree with you that there are probably things he wanted to say, probably not very favorable to the Denver Broncos. What those things are, I don't know. I'll wait til he feels comfortable saying them.

I completly agree with you that broken manufatured those quotes.

MOtorboat
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM

I could care less about Thursday, myself. More worried about a week from Sunday.

claymore
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM

I dont care about a win. I want to see some points. An opening drive that leads to a TD.

Dortoh
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I could care less about Thursday, myself. More worried about a week from Sunday.

I fear you are asking for the moon MB

Baby steps my friend.

FanInAZ
09-01-2009, 06:01 PM

We just need our #1 offense to look good against the Cards D that is no where near as good as the Bear's.

Tned
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
We have previously heard "we aren't trying to trade him...", so take the denial with a grain of salt.

ursamajor
09-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Hmm, I remember stating that Josh will have to cut Brandon, or he will be looked at as a hypocrite.

You cant preach to players about being team 1st, then give a coveted roster spot to a self centered cancer.

Players will take notice of this, and Josh will find that players dont buy into him.

In the end a Head Coaches success is completely dependant upon on wheter or nit his players buy into him.

If Josh McDaniels keeps Brandon after the final 53 man cut, I promise you that the Broncos will have a losing record. Because Josh will have lost the faith of the team. No one will run through a wall for him.

Ditka said it best, and Im paraphrasing,

It doesnt matter if the HC is an x's and o's guy. At this level we are all x's and o's guys. But can you have your guys ready? Can you inspire your team to give it everything they have got. Leave the x's and o's to your coordinators. A Head Coach's most important job is to inspire.

MOtorboat
09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
I dont care about a win. I want to see some points. An opening drive that leads to a TD.

I fear you are asking for the moon MB

Baby steps my friend.

We just need our #1 offense to look good against the Cards D that is no where near as good as the Bear's.

You all realize that most of the No. 1s won't play hardly at all. Orton is out, I doubt Royal plays, maybe that drive. Ben Hamilton won't play, Wiegmann won't play. Marshall is suspended...I don't expect much at all out of Thursday.

NameUsedBefore
09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
You all realize that most of the No. 1s won't play hardly at all.

Tell me something new.

Mike
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM

A win on Thursday won't help much with the fans...though it would probably help the players confidence a little.

claymore
09-01-2009, 06:34 PM
You all realize that most of the No. 1s won't play hardly at all. Orton is out, I doubt Royal plays, maybe that drive. Ben Hamilton won't play, Wiegmann won't play. Marshall is suspended...I don't expect much at all out of Thursday.

Great point. Im just looking for a glimmer of hope.

topscribe
09-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Hmm, I remember stating that Josh will have to cut Brandon, or he will be looked at as a hypocrite.

You cant preach to players about being team 1st, then give a coveted roster spot to a self centered cancer.

Players will take notice of this, and Josh will find that players dont buy into him.

In the end a Head Coaches success is completely dependant upon on wheter or nit his players buy into him.

If Josh McDaniels keeps Brandon after the final 53 man cut, I promise you that the Broncos will have a losing record. Because Josh will have lost the faith of the team. No one will run through a wall for him.

Ditka said it best, and Im paraphrasing,

It doesnt matter if the HC is an x's and o's guy. At this level we are all x's and o's guys. But can you have your guys ready? Can you inspire your team to give it everything they have got. Leave the x's and o's to your coordinators. A Head Coach's most important job is to inspire.

I don't buy that. If McDaniels lets Marshall go, then he might lose some face
with the team because that is exactly what Marshall wants, and they know it.
If Marshall is still here after the 53 are decided, that will show the Broncos
mean business.

-----

ursamajor
09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't buy that. If McDaniels lets Marshall go, then he might lose some face
with the team because that is exactly what Marshall wants, and they know it.
If Marshall is still here after the 53 are decided, that will show the Broncos
mean business.

-----
The Bengals shoed Ocho Cinco that they mean Business. How have they looked recently?
Josh needs to focus on the guys that want to be Broncos.

Hold onto him until cut day, just incase he can get some value for Brandon via trade. But when it comes time to set the final 53 man roster, Josh needs to pull that trigger. And if I were him I would do it in an unremarkable fashion. Meaning I would not comment on it to the press

dogfish
09-01-2009, 07:16 PM

how's he supposed to play with a bag over his head?

What did they mean by favoring?

reach-arounds. . . .

frauschieze
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
FWIW, listening to KOA and the Sports Guys said exactly what broken posted as a promo for the Putzier interview before they replayed it. I didn't hear the same thing they did, obviously.

dogfish
09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
FWIW, listening to KOA and the Sports Guys said exactly what broken posted as a promo for the Putzier interview before they replayed it. I didn't hear the same thing they did, obviously.

they's trippin'. . . .

Tned
09-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Yea, the Sportsguys on 104.3 seemed to have REALLY embelished/intrepeted what Jeb was saying between the lines.

He did make some subtle shots, about the team not winning right away a shot at Marshall for whining, etc.

However, this is the way 104.3 promo'd the replay of the interview in the last hour.

They said that his interview indicated there is a lot that needs to be fixed and that there are factions, unrest, unhappiness, mcdaniels guys, shanny guys and head butting. Jeb said/indicated there is division between the NE guys and Shanahan guys.

They said Jeb isn't the best source (my words), as Jeb said last year he claimed there was Cutler cliques, and he didn't believe Cutler even knew who he was when the season ended.

Anyway, I am not sure why the radio guys are stating the above came from Jeb's interview, but they are saying it.

claymore
09-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Yea, the Sportsguys on 104.3 seemed to have REALLY embelished/intrepeted what Jeb was saying between the lines.

He did make some subtle shots, about the team not winning right away a shot at Marshall for whining, etc.

However, this is the way 104.3 promo'd the replay of the interview in the last hour.

They said that his interview indicated there is a lot that needs to be fixed and that there are factions, unrest, unhappiness, mcdaniels guys, shanny guys and head butting. Jeb said/indicated there is division between the NE guys and Shanahan guys.

They said Jeb isn't the best source (my words), as Jeb said last year he claimed there was Cutler cliques, and he didn't believe Cutler even knew who he was when the season ended.

Anyway, I am not sure why the radio guys are stating the above came from Jeb's interview, but they are saying it.

So Broken is innocent. All refrences to Broken is punnishable by a Timmy boobie shot PMed to you.. :mod:

topscribe
09-01-2009, 07:50 PM
The Bengals shoed Ocho Cinco that they mean Business. How have they looked recently?
Josh needs to focus on the guys that want to be Broncos.

Hold onto him until cut day, just incase he can get some value for Brandon via trade. But when it comes time to set the final 53 man roster, Josh needs to pull that trigger. And if I were him I would do it in an unremarkable fashion. Meaning I would not comment on it to the press

I don't think you can compare one team to another in such an instance.

But no, were I pulling the strings, Marshall would sit all year if necessary . . .

-----

claymore
09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think you can compare one team to another in such an instance.

But no, were I pulling the strings, Marshall would sit all year if necessary . . .

-----

Impossible under this CBA.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Is there any way that we can change the title of this thread? It is a little deceiving. Maybe I am bickering over nothin', but ya know ya know.

Lonestar
09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Impossible under this CBA.

are you saying he can't be inactive all year or suspended..

as there is a huge difference..

he does not have to travel with the squad either..

MOtorboat
09-01-2009, 08:15 PM
are you saying he can't be inactive all year or suspended..

as there is a huge difference..

he does not have to travel with the squad either..

Either way, the PA will file an injunction and they will win. He will be with this team this year, unless he's traded.

Tned
09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Is there any way that we can change the title of this thread? It is a little deceiving. Maybe I am bickering over nothin', but ya know ya know.

It's the name of the article he posted.

frauschieze
09-01-2009, 08:22 PM
It's the name of the article he posted.

Sorry, Tned. I just changed it to the article title. It used to be "He'll be gone by week one!!!"

Tned
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Sorry, Tned. I just changed it to the article title. It used to be "He'll be gone by week one!!!"

:lol: Ok. Good change.

pnbronco
09-01-2009, 09:01 PM
So Broken is innocent. All refrences to Broken is punnishable by a Timmy boobie shot PMed to you.. :mod:

Sorry Broken...

So people in the media, took a interview and REALLY embellished it to make it into a bigger story than it was....:eek:

broken12
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Sorry Broken...

So people in the media, took a interview and REALLY embellished it to make it into a bigger story than it was....:eek:

according to a post i got off the mane they said that bronco guys and bronctriot guys that medaniels brought in were butting heads....

The interview that I posted was Jeb, but he did not say all the things the 104.3 guys said he did.

About 40 minutes before they replayed the interview, they were talking about all the emails they were getting about people being upset about McDaniels tearing the locker room apart.

They said that Jeb's interview indicated there is a lot that needs to be fixed and that there are factions, unrest, unhappiness, mcdaniels guys in the locker room, shanny guys in the locker room and lots of head butting. Jeb said/indicated there is division between the NE guys and Shanahan guys.

They are now saying that Jeb isn't the best source (my words), as Jeb said last year he claimed there was Cutler cliques, and he didn't believe Cutler even knew who he was when the season ended.

Those were the words the 104.3 guys (Sports Guys) used, but when you listen to the interview, even really trying HARD to read between the lines, you can't come up with all they said.

MOtorboat
09-01-2009, 09:40 PM
according to a post i got off the mane they said that bronco guys and bronctriot guys that medaniels brought in were butting heads....

Now THAT, is one solid source...lol...

:tsk:

LTC Pain
09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
well, on the field we have never seen him really wearing the me bag or any other kind of bad. Normally he is wearing the beast bag. Until he shows me otherwise there i am going to believe he will.

I guess you missed BM wearing the "Me" bag over his head at practice last Wednesday, thus his suspension. There is no "Me" in beast.

Buff
09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

The Sports Guys are on The Fan, yo.

NightTrainLayne
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
They are now saying that Jeb isn't the best source (my words), as Jeb said last year he claimed there was Cutler cliques, and he didn't believe Cutler even knew who he was when the season ended.

This is very interesting. .. they embellish what Putzier said to hype the interview, I understand that.

But this little bit above is really intriguing. Putzier, they say, isn't really reliable as a source because he criticized Cutler?

So. . .if he's even hinting at something negative in the McDaniels locker room, embellish the hell out of it, but if he's critical of Cutler he's not reliable about that?

Sounds pretty objective to me! :ranger:

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:31 PM
This is very interesting. .. they embellish what Putzier said to hype the interview, I understand that.

But this little bit above is really intriguing. Putzier, they say, isn't really reliable as a source because he criticized Cutler?

So. . .if he's even hinting at something negative in the McDaniels locker room, embellish the hell out of it, but if he's critical of Cutler he's not reliable about that?

Did you really expect anything less? :lol:

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Like Bad.

A lot of good that will do. He will just walk his routes while in the game. Better off leaving him on the bench and since he isnt much of a cheerleader he will become a paperweight.

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:37 PM

Ill be totally honest, i love the Putz. I have no idea why he keeps getting cut. And this goes back to when Shanny was here and Jeb was one of Plummer's best targets. Im baffled that he cant keep a roster spot. But there must be something more to Jeb that we just dont see because even Kubes didnt keep him on the roster and i know Jeb is just as good as Daniels. Either way, its not the first time ive heard of Jay and his clicke going to bathroom together.

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Broken is a McD hater...not a surprise.

I keep telling you guys its OR.

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't mind people not favoring McD and some of his moves this off-season, but to skew reports to fit your views when the reports in no way support your views, is outlandish and unnecessary and just makes others not taking you seriously again with your future rants.

You mean someone who rarely comes here except to spam the board with BS? Those kind of people? Yea, sounds like Broken.

Tned
09-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Now THAT, is one solid source...lol...

:tsk:

Well, actually it was a damn good source, considering he just reposted something that I posted on the Mane. :confused:

The interview that I posted was Jeb, but he did not say all the things the 104.3 guys said he did.

About 40 minutes before they replayed the interview, they were talking about all the emails they were getting about people being upset about McDaniels tearing the locker room apart.

They said that Jeb's interview indicated there is a lot that needs to be fixed and that there are factions, unrest, unhappiness, mcdaniels guys in the locker room, shanny guys in the locker room and lots of head butting. Jeb said/indicated there is division between the NE guys and Shanahan guys.

Those were the words the 104.3 guys (Sports Guys) used, but when you listen to the interview, even really trying HARD to read between the lines, you can't come up with all they said.

Ummmm, everything in bold was from a post I just made on the Mane a little over an hour ago. If you take someone elses post and repost it, you really should put in quotes so it is obvious.

I posted something similar in this thread about two hours ago.

MOtorboat
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Well, actually it was a damn good source, considering he just reposted something that I posted on the Mane. :confused:

Ummmm, everything in bold was from a post I just made on the Mane a little over an hour ago. If you take someone elses post and repost it, you really should put in quotes so it is obvious.

I posted something similar in this thread about two hours ago.

Yet, none of the actual interview shows favoritism towards ex-Patriots...:noidea:

You may have posted that elsewhere...but I listened to the interview, and no matter how 104.3 billed the interview, nowhere in it did he say that the ex-Patriots were being favored...

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM

If we dont, you ever seen that movie scanners? :lol:

dogfish
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Either way, the PA will file an injunction and they will win. He will be with this team this year, unless he's traded.

or released, at least theoretically. . . but yea, you're right that we probably wouldn't get away with making him inactive all year. . .

Ill be totally honest, i love the Putz. I have no idea why he keeps getting cut. And this goes back to when Shanny was here and Jeb was one of Plummer's best targets. Im baffled that he cant keep a roster spot. But there must be something more to Jeb that we just dont see because even Kubes didnt keep him on the roster and i know Jeb is just as good as Daniels.

he doesn't block worth a crap. . . .

Tned
09-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Well, since what you quoted was actually my post, that Broken reposted without clearly identifying it as not his own, I guess I should respond to this.

The reason I put (my words), is because I was trying to quickly summarize what the say and keep up with the conversation. Basically, they went through the first part I typed, which was to talk about how Jeb talked about factions in the locker room, butting heads, etc. (even though the interview with Jeb had none of that), then after all that was said, they talked about how he had made similar statements last year about Cutler not being a good team mate, not getting along with many, etc.

Now, about an hour later, the same crew, said after the interview, that just because Jeb didn't like Cutler, doesn't mean he has to immediately like McDaniels, and that some people don't understand it is possible for a person to both not like how Cutler acted, and also not buy into what/how McDaniels is doing things.

The same guys went on to semi-bash McDaniels for not talking to local media, and that they, like the fans, had to get Broncos new from the national media like Peter King. It sounds like they have their own axe to grind with McDaniels, which might be why they embelished what Jeb said.

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Yet, none of the actual interview shows favoritism towards ex-Patriots...:noidea:

You may have posted that elsewhere...but I listened to the interview, and no matter how 104.3 billed the interview, nowhere in it did he say that the ex-Patriots were being favored...

Yea, in the future it might be wise for Broken aka Oaklandraider to actually LISTEN to the interview before jerking off on his hateful McDaniels propraganda.

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:50 PM

Thats what we got Quinn for. :D

Tned
09-01-2009, 10:51 PM

Yea, which is something I have stated multiple times now. Hence the reason I have posted in this thread that the FAN guys had to do some SERIOUS reading between the lines to come up with their spin on it. Not sure why you are pinning the FAN's spin on me, when I have stated the interview did not contain what they claimed.

NightTrainLayne
09-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Well, since what you quoted was actually my post, that Broken reposted without clearly identifying it as not his own, I guess I should respond to this.

The reason I put (my words), is because I was trying to quickly summarize what the say and keep up with the conversation. Basically, they went through the first part I typed, which was to talk about how Jeb talked about factions in the locker room, butting heads, etc. (even though the interview with Jeb had none of that), then after all that was said, they talked about how he had made similar statements last year about Cutler not being a good team mate, not getting along with many, etc.

Now, about an hour later, the same crew, said after the interview, that just because Jeb didn't like Cutler, doesn't mean he has to immediately like McDaniels, and that some people don't understand it is possible for a person to both not like how Cutler acted, and also not buy into what/how McDaniels is doing things.

The same guys went on to semi-bash McDaniels for not talking to local media, and that they, like the fans, had to get Broncos new from the national media like Peter King. It sounds like they have their own axe to grind with McDaniels, which might be why they embelished what Jeb said.

Well, in the same vein, I'm a little pissed right now that I have to get your quotes from Broken12 from another message board!!!! Post your good shit here! Don't make us get it 4th-hand and out of context from someone else!

J/k, had to play on the Peter King vs. local media reference.

dogfish
09-01-2009, 10:54 PM

i think i can speak for pretty much all broncos fans aside from mtnman, chop and lex when i say, "**** the local media and their agenda (no offense MO) if that's the way they feel! doogie doesn't owe them shit. . . if he wins a lot of football games he's golden-- and if he doesn't, who cares how many friends he makes by being accessible and open with information?"

nobody likes belichick either, myself included-- but i doubt he and his three super bowl rings really care. . . .

Tned
09-01-2009, 10:55 PM

Well, in the same vein, I'm a little pissed right now that I have to get your quotes from Broken12 from another message board!!!! Post your good shit here! Don't make us get it 4th-hand and out of context from someone else!

J/k, had to play on the Peter King vs. local media reference.

:lol: Well, I did post it in this thread first (MO might want to go back and look at it), and then about an hour later reposted it on the Mane, when they were having a similar discussion about what the FAN guys were saying.

Yea, in the future it might be wise for Broken aka Oaklandraider to actually LISTEN to the interview before jerking off on his hateful McDaniels propraganda.

Could be. Also, to be clear, while his previous post insinuates that my post was what he based his earlier posts in this thread on. That is simply not true. I posted that in here, and then later on the Mane, WELL after his posts in the beginning of the thread about what he heard on FAN.

MOtorboat
09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
i think i can speak for pretty much all broncos fans aside from mtnman, chop and lex when i say, "**** the local media and their agenda (no offense MO) if that's the way they feel! doogie doesn't owe them shit. . . if he wins a lot of football games he's golden-- and if he doesn't, who cares how many friends he makes by being accessible and open with information?"

nobody likes belichick either, myself included-- but i doubt he and his three super bowl rings really care. . . .

No offense taken...especially, if they make shit up. That was blatant and uncalled for. Just like the Reilly interview, and I really do respect the guy, but he got bad information.

Tned
09-01-2009, 11:07 PM
No offense taken...especially, if they make shit up. That was blatant and uncalled for. Just like the Reilly interview, and I really do respect the guy, but he got bad information.

Speaking of the Reilly piece, and the FAN's hard on for Bowlen (at least the Sports Guys), they said that Reilly has copies of the phone records showing Cutler made calls to Bowlen during that time. I quickly skimmed that Reilly piece and I don't recall him saying that, only that a source told him.

Was there any mention of Reilly having copies of Jay's phone bill proving a call was made?

Tned
09-01-2009, 11:39 PM
For those that clearly 'missed' some posts in this thread and jumped to incorrect conclusions...

The above posted in this thread at 10:44.

Below is what I posted in THIS thread over three hours before that at 7:40 or so.

As can 'clearly' be seen, I did not say that Jeb said those things, I said that the Sports Guys on FAN embelished and that they really embelished what Jeb actually said.

Tempus Fugit
09-02-2009, 01:44 AM

Most Patriots fans love Belichick. They love him for his winning, they love him for his almost 100% "all business" approach. They love him for his rare exceptions to that approach (Troy Brown, T. Bruschi). They love him for what they know of him behind the scenes and beyond football.

And they love him because he's been flipping off the media for about a decade now, and the Boston media might be the most arrogant and overbearing in the entire country.

MOtorboat
09-02-2009, 07:28 AM
For those that clearly 'missed' some posts in this thread and jumped to incorrect conclusions...

The above posted in this thread at 10:44.

Below is what I posted in THIS thread over three hours before that at 7:40 or so.

As can 'clearly' be seen, I did not say that Jeb said those things, I said that the Sports Guys on FAN embelished and that they really embelished what Jeb actually said.

And GEM posted at like 3 in the afternoon that it wasn't in the interview, so I listened to the interview and lo and behold, it wasn't there...so, thus...no matter who billed it that way, it wasn't true. Jeesh...a little touchy over this one, aren't we?

Thnikkaman
09-02-2009, 07:48 AM

I would add a guy named bud to that list as well.

----------------
Now playing: RJD2 – RJD2 - June feat. Copywrite (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/rjd2+%e2%80%93+rjd2/track/june+feat.+copywrite)

frauschieze
09-02-2009, 08:40 AM
And GEM posted at like 3 in the afternoon that it wasn't in the interview, so I listened to the interview and lo and behold, it wasn't there...so, thus...no matter who billed it that way, it wasn't true. Jeesh...a little touchy over this one, aren't we?

Why are you being an ass about it? You're both saying the same damn thing. Geez.

Thnikkaman
09-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Why are you being an ass about it? You're both saying the same damn thing. Geez.

This is Mo we are talking about.

Hey Mo, which game are you thinking you will come up to Iowa For? I know this great Brew Pub we should watch the game at.

----------------
Now playing: A Thing For Me – Metronomy (Breakbot remix) (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/a+thing+for+me/track/metronomy)

GEM
09-02-2009, 09:06 AM

I apologize broken. I didn't listen to the promos and the "read between the lines" from the talk show hosts. I listened to the interview where Jeb said nothing of the sort. I didn't have all of the facts (or in this case gossip that had no factual basis) and I owe you an apology. I'm sorry.

GEM
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM

Sandy on The Fan has an intense man crush on Cutler, he doesn't go there.

NightTrainLayne
09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Speaking of the Reilly piece, and the FAN's hard on for Bowlen (at least the Sports Guys), they said that Reilly has copies of the phone records showing Cutler made calls to Bowlen during that time. I quickly skimmed that Reilly piece and I don't recall him saying that, only that a source told him.

Was there any mention of Reilly having copies of Jay's phone bill proving a call was made?

No. Reilly didn't say he had phone records.

This is just amazing to me how this stuff spirals so quickly, and it's all due to a lot of fans that simply don't have any trust for McDaniels and Bowlen.

I kind of understand McD because he's new, but Bowlen has run this franchise for over 25 years and all of a sudden a lot of people act like he's the devil. It doesn't make any sense.

Bowlen has always made sure that he's had a top-notch coaching staff running his team. His worst head coach hire was fired relatively quickly, and lo and behold, even he's had two other high-profile Head Coaching jobs afterwards, so obviously he has some talent there.

Possibly, McD isn't the right guy, but Bowlen's track record shows a penchant for spotting Head Coaching talent, and not being afraid of taking a risk to make the team better.

But without any trust, all of a sudden, silly rumors get spun out, and then embellished, and next thing you know they're being quoted as fact by personalities on the radio and television, and become gospel.

Well, I'm sorry. I've trusted Mr. Bowlen for 26 years or so. I'm going to trust him some more. I think maybe he got a little too active in the Cutler and Marshall situations after 16 years of Shanny running things, but in the end I'm not sure that it would have turned out any different if he hadn't.

I think that Shanny had made some promises to his all-star wonderkids that the new staff didn't want to honor. Not honor at least until they had worked with them some. IE, they didn't want to be married to Shanny's guys with huge guaranteed contracts until they saw how they interacted with the team.

Understandably, Cutler and Marshall didn't appreciate that. And for the record, neither did Weigman, or Sheffler. Two of those guys came to OTA's and worked their asses off (granted they weren't pro-bowlers.. .whoops! Weigman was. .. ), and two guys threw a fit.

Bowlen trying to smooth things over probably actually hurt McDaniels efforts by undermining him to some extent, but him trying to smooth things over is the primary evidence to me that Shanny (read: Broncos organization) had made some promises to those guys, and Bowlen felt a little guilty that they had to prove themselves to the new coaching staff.

I could be completely wrong, but it does kind of fit all of the facts we know (albeit the facts are limited).

Tned
09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
No. Reilly didn't say he had phone records.

This is just amazing to me how this stuff spirals so quickly, and it's all due to a lot of fans that simply don't have any trust for McDaniels and Bowlen.

I kind of understand McD because he's new, but Bowlen has run this franchise for over 25 years and all of a sudden a lot of people act like he's the devil. It doesn't make any sense.

Bowlen has always made sure that he's had a top-notch coaching staff running his team. His worst head coach hire was fired relatively quickly, and lo and behold, even he's had two other high-profile Head Coaching jobs afterwards, so obviously he has some talent there.

Possibly, McD isn't the right guy, but Bowlen's track record shows a penchant for spotting Head Coaching talent, and not being afraid of taking a risk to make the team better.

But without any trust, all of a sudden, silly rumors get spun out, and then embellished, and next thing you know they're being quoted as fact by personalities on the radio and television, and become gospel.

Well, I'm sorry. I've trusted Mr. Bowlen for 26 years or so. I'm going to trust him some more. I think maybe he got a little too active in the Cutler and Marshall situations after 16 years of Shanny running things, but in the end I'm not sure that it would have turned out any different if he hadn't.

I think that Shanny had made some promises to his all-star wonderkids that the new staff didn't want to honor. Not honor at least until they had worked with them some. IE, they didn't want to be married to Shanny's guys with huge guaranteed contracts until they saw how they interacted with the team.

Understandably, Cutler and Marshall didn't appreciate that. And for the record, neither did Weigman, or Sheffler. Two of those guys came to OTA's and worked their asses off (granted they weren't pro-bowlers.. .whoops! Weigman was. .. ), and two guys threw a fit.

Bowlen trying to smooth things over probably actually hurt McDaniels efforts by undermining him to some extent, but him trying to smooth things over is the primary evidence to me that Shanny (read: Broncos organization) had made some promises to those guys, and Bowlen felt a little guilty that they had to prove themselves to the new coaching staff.

I could be completely wrong, but it does kind of fit all of the facts we know (albeit the facts are limited).

I agree with everything you said, so there isn't much to add or respond to. Well, except for maybe one thing.

You aren't the first one to use Wiegman as an example. While I think he did nothing wrong and deserved a new contract (signed as a backup, came in and started all year and went to the pro bowl), the fact is that he told the Broncos give me a new contract before training camp or I will retire.

He shared that with the press, and the explanation of why he felt he deserved a new contract (backup/starter) thing. While Marshall did miss OTA's and then in the end acted like an ass in TC, Cutler did publicly say that while he wanted to be traded, he would attend all mandatory team functions. He never once hinted at a holdout or the like.

Casey was to the point in his career where he could simply say, "pay me or I'm gone", none of the other three were at that point, and Scheffler had zero leverage, not wanting to become the next putzier, bouncing from team to team.

NightTrainLayne
09-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree with everything you said, so there isn't much to add or respond to. Well, except for maybe one thing.

You aren't the first one to use Wiegman as an example. While I think he did nothing wrong and deserved a new contract (signed as a backup, came in and started all year and went to the pro bowl), the fact is that he told the Broncos give me a new contract before training camp or I will retire.

He shared that with the press, and the explanation of why he felt he deserved a new contract (backup/starter) thing. While Marshall did miss OTA's and then in the end acted like an ass in TC, Cutler did publicly say that while he wanted to be traded, he would attend all mandatory team functions. He never once hinted at a holdout or the like.

Casey was to the point in his career where he could simply say, "pay me or I'm gone", none of the other three were at that point, and Scheffler had zero leverage, not wanting to become the next putzier, bouncing from team to team.

That's kind of my point though.

Weigman was the guy out of that bunch with the MOST leverage to force the Broncos hand. But he was one of the guys who came to the voluntary OTA's and proved himself to the staff.

That's the kind of commitment to the team that McD is looking for. When you absolutely DON'T have to come, or work hard you still do because deep down you're a Bronco and a football player.

It seems backwards to me that Weigman is the one who gets discounted there. He had more leverage than any of them, save maybe Cutler because the QB is the most important position.

nbenallo33
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM
i think if we get lienart and a pick in the draft it would be a good trade JMO

Tned
09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
That's kind of my point though.

Weigman was the guy out of that bunch with the MOST leverage to force the Broncos hand. But he was one of the guys who came to the voluntary OTA's and proved himself to the staff.

That's the kind of commitment to the team that McD is looking for. When you absolutely DON'T have to come, or work hard you still do because deep down you're a Bronco and a football player.

It seems backwards to me that Weigman is the one who gets discounted there. He had more leverage than any of them, save maybe Cutler because the QB is the most important position.

I do think Weigman handled it professionally and fully within his rights. The only questionable thing was talking to the press about it, rather than keeping it in house, but I guess he felt he needed to apply some pressure to the organization.

Marshall, clearly left the OTA's, as he met with Bowlen then packed up boxes and walked out, whether those were things he was picking up anyway, and didn't practice because of his hip, or he was making a "i'm walking out" statement, we will never know, but I suspect he was trying to say, I'm packed up and gone, and won't be back so trade me.

Jay is a different story. We will never know what he 'would have' done, we only know what he said, which is he wouldn't hold out, he would attend everything mandatory, but he wanted a trade. I really don't see much difference between what Jay did and what Casey did. They both talked to the press. They both demanded something. In fact, one major difference is Casey said, if you don't do this, I won't play (no, he didn't threaten to hold out, just retire), where Jay said, I will play until I am traded. But, like I said, we will never know what would have happened in the mandatory camps, TC and regular season if jay wasn't traded.

Another thing I find ironic (nothing to do with your post, per se, this just came to me) is that Plummer was roundly attacked and is hated for retiring, not saying "do this, or I will retire", just simply walking away even though he had to cough up $3 million or so to do it. Casey has been used multiple times as an example of professionalism for threatening to retire if he didn't get his way.

NightTrainLayne
09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I do think Weigman handled it professionally and fully within his rights. The only questionable thing was talking to the press about it, rather than keeping it in house, but I guess he felt he needed to apply some pressure to the organization.

Marshall, clearly left the OTA's, as he met with Bowlen then packed up boxes and walked out, whether those were things he was picking up anyway, and didn't practice because of his hip, or he was making a "i'm walking out" statement, we will never know, but I suspect he was trying to say, I'm packed up and gone, and won't be back so trade me.

Jay is a different story. We will never know what he 'would have' done, we only know what he said, which is he wouldn't hold out, he would attend everything mandatory, but he wanted a trade. I really don't see much difference between what Jay did and what Casey did. They both talked to the press. They both demanded something. In fact, one major difference is Casey said, if you don't do this, I won't play (no, he didn't threaten to hold out, just retire), where Jay said, I will play until I am traded. But, like I said, we will never know what would have happened in the mandatory camps, TC and regular season if jay wasn't traded.

Another thing I find ironic (nothing to do with your post, per se, this just came to me) is that Plummer was roundly attacked and is hated for retiring, not saying "do this, or I will retire", just simply walking away even though he had to cough up $3 million or so to do it. Casey has been used multiple times as an example of professionalism for threatening to retire if he didn't get his way.

I'm not one who ever criticized Plummer for walking away. Plummer marches to the beat of his own drum. He decided he was done with football, and he was done.

Casey threatening to retire in public wasn't really professional per se, but then he did show up and went "above and beyond" what was "mandatory".

Cutler got traded before it became an issue, but saying that he'd come to the "mandatory" camps is a lot different than making sure and coming to the "voluntary" OTA's (something that Putzier mentioned yesterday as a plus in his own column).

Especially, when you consider a completely new system being installed, new coordinator, new HC, new position coaches. . .To say that he's only going to come to "mandatory" OTA's is to me pretty much a sign that he wasn't wanting to prove himself in any way.

Maybe some folks want to defend that behavior by saying that he had already proved himself for the past couple of years, and maybe he did. But this kind of behavior certainly doesn't look like a good "team first" behavior which we all know McD was/is looking from from everybody in the organization.

Lonestar
09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
FWIW John also played the trade me or I'll play Baseball card..

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 10:16 AM
team first....

I don't think McD is always looking for the 'team first'..... I think he took a 'me first' stance on the Cutler situation as well.

HE wanted Cassel because Cassel knew his system. It would have made it easier for HIM this first year by having a guy that could literally be teaching the offense along with him. That makes sense if you don't already have a stud/franchise quality QB on the roster. McDaniels was looking to help HIMSELF by going after Cassel. You can interpret that as "for the team".. but there is no way you can convince me that this team would have been better off with Cassel's abilities over Cutler's.

Is that really a 'team first' mentality? Is that looking at the long run for this team, or was that looking for the 'short run' success by having familiar faces?

NightTrainLayne
09-02-2009, 10:23 AM
team first....

I don't think McD is always looking for the 'team first'..... I think he took a 'me first' stance on the Cutler situation as well.

HE wanted Cassel because Cassel knew his system. It would have made it easier for HIM this first year by having a guy that could literally be teaching the offense along with him. That makes sense if you don't already have a stud/franchise quality QB on the roster. McDaniels was looking to help HIMSELF by going after Cassel. You can interpret that as "for the team".. but there is no way you can convince me that this team would have been better off with Cassel's abilities over Cutler's.

Is that really a 'team first' mentality? Is that looking at the long run for this team, or was that looking for the 'short run' success by having familiar faces?

See. This is what I was talking about in my post above relating to trust.

It is now widely accepted, and reported as Gospel that McD wanted Cassel instead of Cutler.

Despite the fact that McD stated numerous times that they just listened to a request, and the obvious (so obvious it should smack folks right in the nose) fact that such a trade didn't take place.

Does anyone really believe that if McD wanted Cassel in a trade for Cutler that he wouldn't have gotten it done? It doesn't add up. If he wanted to, and took a call on it, then why didn't it happen?

But nevermind, because it's become such a ingrained claim that it is considered fact by a huge contingent despite any evidence of McD's intent to do so. What evidence do we really have that McD WANTED to trade Cutler for Cassell? Nothing besides rumor. We have evidence that Denver was approached by other teams to swing a deal, but the only confirmation of that deal supports McD's contention that they were approached about it, not that Denver was seeking out such a deal.

It boggles my mind how so many have chosen to view this idea as a fact without much corroborating evidence.

Northman
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

It is now widely accepted, and reported as Gospel that McD wanted Cassel instead of Cutler.

Despite the fact that McD stated numerous times that they just listened to a request, and the obvious (so obvious it should smack folks right in the nose) fact that such a trade didn't take place.

Does anyone really believe that if McD wanted Cassel in a trade for Cutler that he wouldn't have gotten it done? It doesn't add up. If he wanted to, and took a call on it, then why didn't it happen?

But nevermind, because it's become such a ingrained claim that it is considered fact by a huge contingent despite any evidence of McD's intent to do so. What evidence do we really have that McD WANTED to trade Cutler for Cassell? Nothing besides rumor. We have evidence that Denver was approached by other teams to swing a deal, but the only confirmation of that deal supports McD's contention that they were approached about it, not that Denver was seeking out such a deal.

It boggles my mind how so many have chosen to view this idea as a fact without much corroborating evidence.

I think the reason so many think that is because McD didnt hang up the phone. But, it would be stupid for any coach to not at least entertain an offer that came across his table. But it doesnt stop people from insinuating that he initiated the talks which has been denied time after time. Unfortuantely, people will read into it to justify their agendas because they just flat out cant handle the fact that the "player" in question couldnt deal with the possibility that he was expendable like every other player on the Denver roster.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Excellent explanation, but in reality...phone records and sworn testimony wouldn't be enough proof for some people.

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I think the reason so many think that is because McD didnt hang up the phone. But, it would be stupid for any coach to not at least entertain an offer that came across his table. But it doesnt stop people from insinuating that he initiated the talks which has been denied time after time. Unfortuantely, people will read into it to justify their agendas because they just flat out cant handle the fact that the "player" in question couldnt deal with the possibility that he was expendable like every other player on the Denver roster.

Thats a fair arguement but I for one still go by the idea that Jay was simply not tradeable period end of story. Obviously McD feels differently and that is one of the reasons that so far I'm not happy with him as a coach.

Ultimately its his call obviously and its his career so here is to hoping he didnt just screw himself and the franchise for years to come.

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Excellent explanation, but in reality...phone records and sworn testimony wouldn't be enough proof for some people.

Again not true at all. I personally dont care who called who. It does not matter his response to a call should have been something like.

"****" click

silkamilkamonico
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
team first....

This is complete speculation, and your choosing to look at it from this point of view because you don't trust McDaniels either. First off, if McDaniels seriously wanted Cassell, Cassell would be in Denver. He's not going to say "I'm trading my QB and I want Cassell", and then when the options there say "no". That's absurd. I don't know exactly what happened, and neither do you. I believe McDaniels listened to offers for Cutler. Big deal.

McDaniels: "Hey, we want to trade Cutler, and we want Cassell.......!"
GM: "Great. here's a 3 way trade worked out for your boy Cassell and some picks"
McDaniels: ".......not"

NightTrayneLain is the only poster here that's making any logical explanation on the situation, and why people are choosing to look at it one way or another when the fact is, nobody will ever know.

silkamilkamonico
09-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Again not true at all. I personally dont care who called who. It does not matter his response to a call should have been something like.

"****" click

Let's not sit here and pretend Cutler is in a class with guys like Manning and Brady.

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Let's not sit here and pretend Cutler is in a class with guys like Manning and Brady.

today no but head and shoulders above Orton with the potential to be every bit as good in 2-3 years.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM

"****" click

...and that is exactly where the problem lies. Suppose the offer was Cassell, Wilfork and a draft pick...or something else like that from another team.

Sorry, but EVERY coach and GM should at least listen to offers. In the history of sports, I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet that Josh McDaniels isnt the first guy to ever listen to a ridiculous trade offer and decline.

Another possibility...maybe that was his answer. But he is being crucified for listening to begin with

Maybe I'm just crazy

Northman
09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Thats a fair arguement but I for one still go by the idea that Jay was simply not tradeable period end of story. Obviously McD feels differently and that is one of the reasons that so far I'm not happy with him as a coach.

Ultimately its his call obviously and its his career so here is to hoping he didnt just screw himself and the franchise for years to come.

And i would agree with you. But, we both know also that this team needed a lot of areas cleaned up. Although the offense had a solid lineup there were still some things missing even there. Throw in the defense and ST's and it just leaves a lot of areas of need. McDaniels really only mistake is in that he didnt flat out lie to Jay a second time when Jay asked if he could of ever been traded. If McD tells him never than all is well in Broncoland, unless of course the Bears come up with 3 1st's, Orton, and Hester as a trade than Jay would be shipped out. The main problem broham is that Jay wanted McD to be honest, so when they got together McD said that Jay was the Qb but that if the right offer came up and it could benefit the team overall he COULD be expendable. But your right, McD has done what he has with this team so there is only one person accountable for it if it fails. However, despite my own expectations this year its more likely that McD will have at least 3 years to get this club where he wants it. The question is, for those that are already crying and whining are they going to give him more than just this year to get us back to the promise land?

Lonestar
09-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Colin Cowherd just stated the Jets were very interested in Marshall while not news it has been rumored before but it seems to be heating up..

also made comments with Beano Cook on how the HOF coaches would have handled marshall..

Lombardi, marshall would have been afraid to even try pulling that stuntl..

Parcells, Noll, the last Steeler coach and even Tomlim would have traded him after that practice..

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 10:54 AM
...and that is exactly where the problem lies. Suppose the offer was Cassell, Wilfork and a draft pick...or something else like that from another team.

Sorry, but EVERY coach and GM should at least listen to offers. In the history of sports, I'm willing to go out on a limb and bet that Josh McDaniels isnt the first guy to ever listen to a ridiculous trade offer and decline.

Another possibility...maybe that was his answer. But he is being crucified for listening to begin with

Maybe I'm just crazy

No not crazy and I see the point but the day someone offers Cassell, Wilfork and a pick I'll eat my hat.

underrated29
09-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Colin Cowherd just stated the Jets were very interested in Marshall while not news it has been rumored before but it seems to be heating up..

also made comments with Beano Cook on how the HOF coaches would have handled marshall..

Parcells, Noll, the last Steeler coach and even Tomlim would have traded him after that practice..

I was wondering if someone was going to bring up the jets thing. I saw that this morning too on cbs.... Wonder what they have that we would want?

Kris jenkins? and a 1st

pnbronco
09-02-2009, 10:57 AM
today no but head and shoulders above Orton with the potential to be every bit as good in 2-3 years.

Dort, most of know that when it comes to physical talent Cutler is better than Orton, but it wasn't a even trade. Orton was a part of a package deal.

Also I think the thing that everyone has been fighting about for months now is Jay's POTENTIAL. You see him as the next Brady and Manning, I don't. Not because of skill, but because of lack of maturity. Maybe Lovie will be the best thing for him and he will grow up, I don't know, no one does. I just know that what I witnessed on the sidelines at home games was not a leader I would go into battle with.

TXBRONC
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
or released, at least theoretically. . . but yea, you're right that we probably wouldn't get away with making him inactive all year. . .

Putz was never a very good red zone target either.

claymore
09-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Dort, most of know that when it comes to physical talent Cutler is better than Orton, but it wasn't a even trade. Orton was a part of a package deal.

Also I think the thing that everyone has been fighting about for months now is Jay's POTENTIAL. You see him as the next Brady and Manning, I don't. Not because of skill, but because of lack of maturity. Maybe Lovie will be the best thing for him and he will grow up, I don't know, no one does. I just know that what I witnessed on the sidelines at home games was not a leader I would go into battle with.

People keep saying that there is a lack of maturity in a 23 year old kid. I dont see it.

Normal QB's that young that produce arent on the trading block, so they dont recieve the round the clock media attention.

Look at how bad Plummer acted, and he was 30 years old. He cried, kicked, and flipped off his way into retirement. Plummer at 30 handled things far worse than Cutler did.

Cutler actually had a right to be pissed off. Where as Plummers attitude and on the field performance was his demise.

pnbronco
09-02-2009, 11:25 AM
People keep saying that there is a lack of maturity in a 23 year old kid. I dont see it.

Normal QB's that young that produce arent on the trading block, so they dont recieve the round the clock media attention.

Look at how bad Plummer acted, and he was 30 years old. He cried, kicked, and flipped off his way into retirement. Plummer at 30 handled things far worse than Cutler did.

Cutler actually had a right to be pissed off. Where as Plummers attitude and on the field performance was his demise.

Clay I understand that's how you feel. I'm talking about my personal experience with both of them. Plus what I saw on the sidelines and interactions I witnessed off the field with both QB's and team mates. Since I know I can't say anything that will change you mind and you can't change a old mule like me, let's just respectfully disagree....:D

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Still havent heard why

dogfish
09-02-2009, 11:30 AM
somebody send me a memo and summarization when you guys finally get this whole thing hashed out and blame properly assigned, 'kay?

Northman
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Ok Alex, ill take Clemons, Jenkins, and a 3rd please. :D

claymore
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Still havent heard why

Cause he was lied to. By Bowlen, and JMCD. And no I wasnt in the same room, an neither of us were there, and we cant prove anything.

After all I have read, and seen retracted by Bowlen, Cutler and McDaniels, I feel they (Broncos) were the ones that innitiated the issue, and were the first ones to lie.

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 11:39 AM
This is complete speculation, and your choosing to look at it from this point of view because you don't trust McDaniels either. First off, if McDaniels seriously wanted Cassell, Cassell would be in Denver. He's not going to say "I'm trading my QB and I want Cassell", and then when the options there say "no". That's absurd. I don't know exactly what happened, and neither do you. I believe McDaniels listened to offers for Cutler. Big deal.

McDaniels: "Hey, we want to trade Cutler, and we want Cassell.......!"
GM: "Great. here's a 3 way trade worked out for your boy Cassell and some picks"
McDaniels: ".......not"

NightTrayneLain is the only poster here that's making any logical explanation on the situation, and why people are choosing to look at it one way or another when the fact is, nobody will ever know.

Let me guess... you still believe that he just 'answered the phone'...right?

I mean, its not like he hasn't tried to bring every NE player he can here, or anything. ITs not like he hasn't shown he would like to have familiar faces.

We wouldn't see THREE other teams looking to trade for Cutler (Washington, Detroit, and TB) along with NE if he wasn't LOOKING to trade him away. Don't tell me that "if he wanted, the trade would have been made." He also stated he was "late for the dance." YOu can't be late for the dance if you were the guest of honor (meaning if they called him, he couldn't be late).

Its SILLY to believe, after all we have seen from McDaniels to this point, that he didn't GO AFTER Cassel. It follows his MO so far. It makes sense that he went after him, and it seems to be pretty evident. But I'm sure you, like Chaz, are going to say "you weren't there, so you don't know." I don't need to 'be there' to see whats been put before me.

You don't have teams, multible teams at THAT, simply call you out of the blue and ask if you are interested in trading your 24 yr old, pro-bowl, franchise QB that is still under contract for another 4 years. Its weird how we just had these calls when a new coach comes into town, huh?? :confused:

Not like McDaniels is exactly truthful. Not like he doesn't try to be like Belicheck in everyway, right down to the hoodie. Not like he would lie for a second. You are more than welcome to believe his "I just picked up the phone" reasoning. To me, you have to be absolutely blind to believe that....but thats your choice and you are welcome to it.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Cause he was lied to. By Bowlen, and JMCD. And no I wasnt in the same room, an neither of us were there, and we cant prove anything.

After all I have read, and seen retracted by Bowlen, Cutler and McDaniels, I feel they (Broncos) were the ones that innitiated the issue, and were the first ones to lie.

Josh listened to a trade offer...then rejected it. he then said he wasnt trading Cutler...which is proven by the fact he rejected the offer. I guess I'm missing the lying part.

claymore
09-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Josh listened to a trade offer...then rejected it. he then said he wasnt trading Cutler...which is proven by the fact he rejected the offer. I guess I'm missing the lying part.

He initially told Cutler he didnt try and trade him. And as Ravage's post above your says... To many teams were involved for McDaniels to reject one little trade offer.

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 11:46 AM

:lol: The part where his lips were moving.

How is it that because the trade didnt' go through, that he wasn't trying to trade him? How does him 'saying' he wasn't going to trade Cutler make that truth??? :lol:

He made a rookie coach mistake. He thought he could make this trade offer, and it not get out. He thought he could keep it a secret... and when it came out, he did was has been taught to him...... deny deny deny. He lied about the "just picking up the phone." I still find it funny that people believe this.

roomemp
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM

Funny....I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Marshall.......silly me:D

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
He initially told Cutler he didnt try and trade him. And as Ravage's post above your says... To many teams were involved for McDaniels to reject one little trade offer.

Much like anyone's assessment for or against McDaniels, the following is pure speculation...
is it possible he was presented with an offer to reunite him with Cassel and was appraoched with an offer than involved NE and TB?

Let's seriously take a look at this. If there are three teams involved and one wants to unload an overpriced back-up (which they eventually did for peanuts) and the other one is desperate for a QB (eveidenced by their first round pick)...do you seriously think this deal wouldn't go down?

TB gets Cutler, NE gets TB's 1st rounder and DEN gets Cassel and Vrabel. In that scenario TB gets a proven QB and NE gets more value than they ended up getting. DO you really think one of those two teams nixed this trade? Bottom line, if McDaniels really preferred Cassel over Cutler and was dead set on making that happen, Matt Cassel would be our QB.

I dont understand how people can't see that.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 11:51 AM
:lol: The part where his lips were moving.

How is it that because the trade didnt' go through, that he wasn't trying to trade him? How does him 'saying' he wasn't going to trade Cutler make that truth??? :lol:

He made a rookie coach mistake. He thought he could make this trade offer, and it not get out. He thought he could keep it a secret... and when it came out, he did was has been taught to him...... deny deny deny. He lied about the "just picking up the phone." I still find it funny that people believe this.

Tell me one GM that wouldnt trade an overpriced backup for a young proven starter. Seriously...the ONLY team in that rumor that stood to lose anything was Denver.

So, please...ask again why anyone with common sense would tend to believe McD turned down the offer. Common sense.

underrated29
09-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Here is what i dont see......

All we needed was a defense. Thats it. Just a defense. We added some FA wr and RB (gaffney,bucky,jordan) and then 100% of our sights should be on defense.

Yet here we stand. With ? marks at every almost every position except rb and ol.

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 11:53 AM
McDaniels said he ws 'late to the dance'.. meaning he was late getting involved. But you can't be late if YOU were the one being called.

NightTrainLayne
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Let me guess... you still believe that he just 'answered the phone'...right?

I mean, its not like he hasn't tried to bring every NE player he can here, or anything. ITs not like he hasn't shown he would like to have familiar faces.

We wouldn't see THREE other teams looking to trade for Cutler (Washington, Detroit, and TB) along with NE if he wasn't LOOKING to trade him away. Don't tell me that "if he wanted, the trade would have been made." He also stated he was "late for the dance." YOu can't be late for the dance if you were the guest of honor (meaning if they called him, he couldn't be late).

Its SILLY to believe, after all we have seen from McDaniels to this point, that he didn't GO AFTER Cassel. It follows his MO so far. It makes sense that he went after him, and it seems to be pretty evident. But I'm sure you, like Chaz, are going to say "you weren't there, so you don't know." I don't need to 'be there' to see whats been put before me.

You don't have teams, multible teams at THAT, simply call you out of the blue and ask if you are interested in trading your 24 yr old, pro-bowl, franchise QB that is still under contract for another 4 years. Its weird how we just had these calls when a new coach comes into town, huh?? :confused:

Not like McDaniels is exactly truthful. Not like he doesn't try to be like Belicheck in everyway, right down to the hoodie. Not like he would lie for a second. You are more than welcome to believe his "I just picked up the phone" reasoning. To me, you have to be absolutely blind to believe that....but thats your choice and you are welcome to it.

I hate to be a monkey wrench in your works but the "late to the dance" comment supports McDaniels contention that they were approached by other teams, not the other way around. If McD was the one instigating the trade talk then it would be impossible to be late to the dance, because he would have been the one asking to dance in the first place!

It's common knowledge that New England was trying to trade Cassell. .they succeeded with the Chiefs.

Calling his previous coach and seeing if they could work something with Denver only makes sense for a team trying to sell a hot commodity like Cassell. . .who would know more about the guy, or know exactly what he was getting than McDaniel.

He told Cutler he didn't TRY to trade him because. .. :gasp: he didn't TRY to trade him. He was approached with a deal, and it was a deal that he turned down.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Bottom line.

You are the GM of a team with QB issues and you have a chance to get a bona fide starter for the price of a first round pick, do you do it? insert *YES* answer here

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I hate to be a monkey wrench in your works but the "late to the dance" comment supports McDaniels contention that they were approached by other teams, not the other way around. If McD was the one instigating the trade talk then it would be impossible to be late to the dance, because he would have been the one asking to dance in the first place!

It's common knowledge that New England was trying to trade Cassell. .they succeeded with the Chiefs.

Calling his previous coach and seeing if they could work something with Denver only makes sense for a team trying to sell a hot commodity like Cassell. . .who would know more about the guy, or know exactly what he was getting than McDaniel.

He told Cutler he didn't TRY to trade him because. .. :gasp: he didn't TRY to trade him. He was approached with a deal, and it was a deal that he turned down.

Holy shit!!! The common sense has arrived. Thank you, Layne!!!

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Tell me one GM that wouldnt trade an overpriced backup for a young proven starter. Seriously...the ONLY team in that rumor that stood to lose anything was Denver.

[QUOTE]So, please...ask again why anyone with common sense would tend to believe McD turned down the offer. Common sense.

Exactly. Why McDaniels tried to trade Cutler for Cassel is STILL beyond my thinking and understanding.

But I think its pretty clear. McDaniels knew that early in this offseason, season, TO, practices... the he would be basically teaching his coaches this system, not just the players. Having a QB that already knew the system basically gave him a coach on the field that knew the system, and could be teaching it (this is all those "speculations from guys like Steve Young and Emmitt Smith). Having a QB know the system is a big help to a first year coach. Considering McDaniels like for having familiar faces around, I don't see how this is so hard to believe???

I find it hilarious that anyone would believe he "just answered the phone".... and find that to be almost intentionally blind for the sake of not wanting to see.

claymore
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Much like anyone's assessment for or against McDaniels, the following is pure speculation...
is it possible he was presented with an offer to reunite him with Cassel and was appraoched with an offer than involved NE and TB?

Let's seriously take a look at this. If there are three teams involved and one wants to unload an overpriced back-up (which they eventually did for peanuts) and the other one is desperate for a QB (eveidenced by their first round pick)...do you seriously think this deal wouldn't go down?

TB gets Cutler, NE gets TB's 1st rounder and DEN gets Cassel and Vrabel. In that scenario TB gets a proven QB and NE gets more value than they ended up getting. DO you really think one of those two teams nixed this trade? Bottom line, if McDaniels really preferred Cassel over Cutler and was dead set on making that happen, Matt Cassel would be our QB.

But your scenario of JMCD just listening to a call is shot all to hell in that scenario.

I dont understand how people can't see that.

Because that would have been a terrible trade for us. Bowlen would not trade Cutler for Cassell and Vrabel. That would have been a PR holocaust.

Day1BroncoFan
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Here is what i dont see......

All we needed was a defense. Thats it. Just a defense. We added some FA wr and RB (gaffney,bucky,jordan) and then 100% of our sights should be on defense.

Yet here we stand. With ? marks at every almost every position except rb and ol.

We needed an offense that could score points too. Not that trading cutler helped or hindered that but just sayin'.

How many times in the last few years did we get in the red zone to settle for a FG.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=CoachChaz;733179]Tell me one GM that wouldnt trade an overpriced backup for a young proven starter. Seriously...the ONLY team in that rumor that stood to lose anything was Denver.

Exactly. Why McDaniels tried to trade Cutler for Cassel is STILL beyond my thinking and understanding.

But I think its pretty clear. McDaniels knew that early in this offseason, season, TO, practices... the he would be basically teaching his coaches this system, not just the players. Having a QB that already knew the system basically gave him a coach on the field that knew the system, and could be teaching it (this is all those "speculations from guys like Steve Young and Emmitt Smith). Having a QB know the system is a big help to a first year coach. Considering McDaniels like for having familiar faces around, I don't see how this is so hard to believe???

I find it hilarious that anyone would believe he "just answered the phone".... and find that to be almost intentionally blind for the sake of not wanting to see.

Are you serious? a first year head coach would intentionally get rid of a proven young QB in return for a back-up simply because it would take a few things off of his plate?

Please...tell me that's not the new background for the latest conspiracy theory

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Because that would have been a terrible trade for us. Bowlen would not trade Cutler for Cassell and Vrabel. That would have been a PR holocaust.

Exactly. And guess what? It was rejected.

If McD "wanted" to trade Cutler during the timeframe he is accused of "trying" to trade Cutler, he would have succeeded. it took no time at all to trade him for a reasonable package once Cutler forced their hand. That leads me to believe they could have had the same ease in doing so earlier on...IF in fact that was their intent.

underrated29
09-02-2009, 12:06 PM
We needed an offense that could score points too. Not that trading cutler helped or hindered that but just sayin'.

How many times in the last few years did we get in the red zone to settle for a FG.

right.

Thats why i subscribe to the lack of RB theory. The games where we had a RB capable of breaking tackles and pounding we got our tds. (pittman,hillis,MA,portis,droughns)...the games we were stuck with flimsy speed guys (bell,young,hall) we didnt score tds and got the FG.

(PS)- that is the only reason why i am not over the top about the Jay thing is because we got Knowhon. If we didnt i would be like clay.

claymore
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM

If McD "wanted" to trade Cutler during the timeframe he is accused of "trying" to trade Cutler, he would have succeeded. it took no time at all to trade him for a reasonable package once Cutler forced their hand. That leads me to believe they could have had the same ease in doing so earlier on...IF in fact that was their intent.

The probl;em I have is not the fact that trade talks were held, its the fact that JMCD could not admit he made a rookie mistake, and concede to Cutler the fact that he wouldnt be traded.

JMCD was caught, he should have fessed up, and made up with Cutler. Cutler wasnt even really pissed untilCutler flew to Denver to work it out. That meeting is where shit went south.

claymore
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM

And that would have been a PR holocaust as well. For all I know it was a planned thing to let the leak happen, piss Cutler off, and start the cry baby rumor BS.

Our front office is either brilliant, or a bunch of baffoons. We will see by the end of the season.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
And that would have been a PR holocaust as well. For all I know it was a planned thing to let the leak happen, piss Cutler off, and start the cry baby rumor BS.

Our front office is either brilliant, or a bunch of baffoons. We will see by the end of the season.

It saddens me that this would be a seriously entertained option by a Broncos fan

claymore
09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
It saddens me that this would be a seriously entertained option by a Broncos fan

Well, that would be the best case scenario. It would mean that our front office was competent.

Northman
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM

Those teams didnt even come into the picture until after Jay asked for a trade. :lol:

TXBRONC
09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
somebody send me a memo and summarization when you guys finally get this whole thing hashed out and blame properly assigned, 'kay?

It's all Spiro T. Agnew's fault.

Northman
09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
McDaniels said he ws 'late to the dance'.. meaning he was late getting involved. But you can't be late if YOU were the one being called.

Yep. Meaning, had he initiated the talks he wouldnt of been "late" to the dance. :lol:

Northman
09-02-2009, 12:21 PM

But uh, defense was all we needed man. :lol:

Nevermind the fact that ST's was/is a constant thorn in our side as well. But, defense was all we needed.

claymore
09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Those teams didnt even come into the picture until after Jay asked for a trade. :lol:

Depends on which article you read.

CoachChaz
09-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Depends on which article you read.

That seems to be the problem for most. Believing too much they read

underrated29
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
But uh, defense was all we needed man. :lol:

Nevermind the fact that ST's was/is a constant thorn in our side as well. But, defense was all we needed.

Most consider d/st one and the same. Atleast i do. Or in other words, we didnt need to tinker with the offense. It was set and potent. The D/St was not it was set in crap.

claymore
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Thats all we have to go off of. If we are 9-7 I will just be happy JMCD is our coach.

Northman
09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
The probl;em I have is not the fact that trade talks were held, its the fact that JMCD could not admit he made a rookie mistake, and concede to Cutler the fact that he wouldnt be traded.

Why would he tell Cutler that he wouldnt be traded? Cutler wanted McDaniels to be honest with him after the whole trade issue and when McDaniels came clean and said anyone was expendable Jay couldnt handle the truth of the situation. If everyone is expendable why is it that Jay was the only one to throw a hissy fit about it? How come all the other players didnt go on strike and request trades? Once it became public that no one's job was safe if it was best for the team no one else said anything but Cutler. Not too mention its not a rookie mistake to listen to offers. If someone gives up the farm for "one" player but it makes your team better as a whole than why is that a rookie mistake? At the end of the day the deal with Cassell just wasnt enough to satisfy McDaniels although im quite sure they tried to EXPLORE it more thoroughly but were "late to the dance" because KC and NE had already sewn up a deal.

MOtorboat
09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Why would he tell Cutler that he wouldnt be traded? Cutler wanted McDaniels to be honest with him after the whole trade issue and when McDaniels came clean and said anyone was expendable Jay couldnt handle the truth of the situation. If everyone is expendable why is it that Jay was the only one to throw a hissy fit about it? How come all the other players didnt go on strike and request trades? Once it became public that no one's job was safe if it was best for the team no one else said anything but Cutler. Not too mention its not a rookie mistake to listen to offers. If someone gives up the farm for "one" player but it makes your team better as a whole than why is that a rookie mistake? At the end of the day the deal with Cassell just wasnt enough to satisfy McDaniels although im quite sure they tried to EXPLORE it more thoroughly but were "late to the dance" because KC and NE had already sewn up a deal.

I think Dallas fans are happy that Jimmy Johnson traded Herschel Walker...Just saying.

(Insert "Yeah, but that's a totally different situation and they got a whole lot more..." - spare me, the comment above is in jest)

Northman
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Most consider d/st one and the same. Atleast i do. Or in other words, we didnt need to tinker with the offense. It was set and potent. The D/St was not it was set in crap.

True to some degree. However, if your going to make strides in other areas of the team your going to need ammo to do it. Your not going to get 2 1st's, a 3rd, and a veteran Qb for RB Tatum Bell or the punter Anubis. Well, maybe Anubis as he is pretty exciting on the field but thats neither he or there. Im not saying i agree with the move with Cutler but i can understand why McDaniels explored the option. Unfortuantely, Cutler's behavior dictated his departure out of Denver and now its really a rebuilding mode but its going to be in McD's vision, not the fans. As Clay puts it, we shall see when all is said and done.

Northman
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I think Dallas fans are happy that Jimmy Johnson traded Herschel Walker...Just saying.

(Insert "Yeah, but that's a totally different situation and they got a whole lot more..." - spare me, the comment above is in jest)

Yea, i remember at the time Dallas fans were going crazy about that. They were really pissed off. However, a couple of years later and 3 championships made a lot of them forget.

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
**** it I just flipped a coin and according to my research McD is at fault.

/thread

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Yep. Meaning, had he initiated the talks he wouldnt of been "late" to the dance. :lol:

actually.. thats incorrect. If you make a call to trade for a player, yet a deal is already worked out for him to go elsewhere.. you are "LATE for the dance."

Northman
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
**** it I just flipped a coin and according to my research McD is at fault.

/thread

I still blame you and your stupid bird. Now we can really /thread.

MOtorboat
09-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Post of the Day.

Northman
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
actually.. thats incorrect. If you make a call to trade for a player, yet a deal is already worked out for him to go elsewhere.. you are "LATE for the dance."

In theory yes, unfortuantely the timeline doesnt support your stance. The "We were late to the dance" comment came some time after McDaniels received the call regarding the possible trade.

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM

You mean my turtle? :confused:

Northman
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM

Thats one ugly turtle. What is it? some kind of crossdresser?

MOtorboat
09-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Turtlehead?

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Thats one ugly turtle. What is it? some kind of crossdresser?

LMAO oh my avatar. Sometimes I'm so slow it scares me :laugh:

Northman
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
LMAO oh my avatar. Sometimes I'm so slow it scares me :laugh:

And you expect us to take you seriously on McDaniels? I love you man but its time to put you back in your padded room. We've got too much crazy here already. :lol:

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM

Thats what making an educated decision is about. Sorting your sources, reading the information, and taking your knowledge from it. What else would you expect us to believe... something the coach told us or something you tell us to believe?

Everyone here only READ what happened. If you want to believe something simply because its words out of a mouth (such as an interview), then Belicheck didn't film anyone from the sidelines, bigfoot really DOES exist, and McDaniels only 'answered the phone.'

Either way.. you believe the logic points to him "only answering the phone." To me, everything he has done and the circumstances show that he was actively looking to trade for Cassel. We aren't going to change each others mind. You WANT to believe he didn't make that call. I WANT to believe he wouldn't think about it, but feel confident that he did and made the effort to get Cassel. Thats scary to me.

skycoyote
09-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Profootball Weekly
By Eric Edholm
Who would you rather be right now? New Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels, trying hard enough to move on following the Jay Cutler fiasco that never should have happened, but instead dealing with a petulant Brandon Marshall? Or 49ers head coach Mike Singletary, sensing that you might have to prepare to never have Michael Crabtree for an offense that badly, badly needs receiving help?

Let's break each one down.

The Broncos are facing a really tough situation. Cutler is gone, and Sunday's preseason game against the Bears (who took Cutler off of their hands, thank you very much) will only be a stark reminder of what they lost this offseason. Add into that Marshall, who has pouted and sloughed his way to a suspension and who now has put the team in an almost untenable situation.

The easy solution is to trade their disgruntled wideout, and a precedent already has been set here on this. But that's part of the problem. Marshall knows this. He knows he can force his way out of town, a la Cutler, and that the team might not have a more attractive option. The Broncos almost certainly can't get market value for a player who is 6-foot-4, 225 pounds, ridiculously talented and has 225 catches (including seasons with 102 and 104) at age 25. Are they going to get the first- and third-round return for him? Certainly not after his latest juvenile acts and given that this is not the first time he has been in trouble.

Pair that up against the 49ers' dilemma. They have a serious need at wideout that could be filled with Crabtree, but this appears to be heading nowhere quickly. Agent Eugene Parker for the first time has talked about his client re-entering the draft next fall, potentially losing millions of dollars, which is a bold and insane move for an agent who has a reputation of being very tough but also very level-headed when it comes to negotiations. He's clearly acting here on behalf of his client, who has made it clear he wants more money than the team is willing to pony up.

NFL rules make it nearly impossible to trade an unsigned Crabtree. Boiled down, CBA rules essentially state that Crabtree, because he has not signed his contract 30 days prior to the start of the season (that passed on Aug. 14), the 49ers cannot trade him, or sign and trade him, prior to March 1 of next year. Further, Mr. Crabtree may not play in the league this season if he has not signed with the 49ers by the Tuesday after Week 10 (Nov. 17) and is eligible to be taken by any team — other than the Niners — in the 2010 draft. Basically, they are stuck with this guy and they still might not get anything from him.

My gut says that the Broncos, given that they still can get something for their guy, might be better off in the two worst-case situations. But ask yourself this: Which team has the best chance to iron things out? My sense is that Marshall has sailed his ship in Denver but that there still is a chance things could work out with Crabtree and San Fran.

I don't have too much in the way of insider information on the Crabtree negotiations, so it's hard to make a prediction on this one. My guess is that something will get done eventually. So that leads me to say that the Broncos, already having sent one star player away for probably less than he's worth and about to do the same with another, are worse off. If the 49ers get nothing for taking Crabtree, clearly they get shafted pretty hard, but I suspect neither side really wants it to come to that, despite all the tough talk from both sides.

So I'll go, conditionally, with Denver being worse off.

Tned
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM

First, on the post a couple above, I have said many times that Cutler handled the situation immaturely and will continue to say that, I just also think McDaniels fumbled the ball and handled it like a young, rookie head coach.

Now, here are some quotes, and let me put this in some context first. You guys are taking the absence of McDaniels saying something as proof of some facts. McDaniels comes from a "we don't say anything" camp. And for the most part, he sticks to that. Not going to get into the good or bad of that. A recent example that the local and national press were joking about.

As Orton walks off the field with a bloody finger, the tweets from reporters started flying with things like, "wait for it, soon to come 'Orton has a upper extremity injury'" and "there is breaking news in, McDaniels refuses to admit that Orton has a hand".

He comes from the training program where Belicheck would sometimes put 30 people on the injury report, so they woudln't have to really reveal who was hurt, etc., etc.

Even with that, here are some quotes from shortly after the trade took place:

McDaniels admitted that the team got involved in trade discussions for Cassel, who instead was dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs. However, he said any perception Cutler felt that the team could still trade him was misleading.

"That's what we have communicated ever since the deal with Cassel didn't happen," McDaniels said. "Other teams have called but we're not interested in getting draft picks for Jay. I never made a statement [Saturday] that 'you can be traded at any time.' They asked a question and I told them it was the time of year when people inquire about your team. Your job, as a head coach and general manager, is to listen and not bypass any opportunity to help your team improve. I think most people [in the NFL] feel the same way. You make smart, educated decisions that are best for your football team."

Cutler feels like McDaniels lost his credibility with him when he initially denied to the quarterback that the Broncos tried to acquire Cassel only to admit it later.

"Before this trade for Cassel thing ever came up, in the two weeks or so I had spent with McDaniels, he was basically telling me that he came to Denver because he wanted to coach me and that we needed to trust each other," Cutler said. "He's never been critical to me. But trust now? How can I trust him now?"
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

Ever since the deal for Cassell didn't happen, we have told Jay that we aren't interested in 'picks' for Jay. He then goes on to say in regard to his unwillingess to tell Jay that he wouldn't be traded, that this is the time of year people make inquiries and his job is to listen, he didn't say, NE called we listned and didn't do the deal.

"Since the deal with Cassel didn't happen ... we're not interested in getting draft picks for Jay."

Ok, then we have some stuff from Cutler:

"I went in there with every intention of solving the issue, being a Bronco, moving forward as a Bronco," Cutler said. "We weren't in there but about 20 minutes, [McDaniels] did most of the talking and as far as I'm concerned, he made it clear he wants his own guy. He admitted he wanted Matt Cassel because he said he has raised him up from the ground as a quarterback. He said he wasn't sorry about it. He made it clear that he could still entertain trading me because, as he put it, he'll do whatever he feels is in the best interest of the organization.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn't like, 'Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you're our guy.' It felt like the opposite. He basically said that I needed to tell him if we can't work this out, to let him know," Cutler added. "I thought he was antagonizing me and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco. Really, I figured we'd hash things out, shake hands, laugh a little and move forward. What happened [Saturday] was the last thing I expected. If I didn't think it could be fixed, I never would have come back to Denver. It was painfully obvious to me and Bus [Cook, his agent] it's not something they want to fix."

"I certainly went back there, expecting I'd be there [Monday] but not now," Cutler said. "It's not mandatory. I'll attend every mandatory minicamp and training camp but that's it. Really, it's best for me to move on. As Coach said, he needs every eye in the meeting room to be on him and not me."

Cutler said: "You know, even after the meeting, I hung around town, kind of expecting him to call me and say, 'Hey, let's just me and you get away and have lunch or a cup of coffee' and mend things, but that didn't happen. So, I get it, really, it's a business. I'm disappointed because I love being a Bronco but I think it's run its course."

Cutler denied recent reports that he had asked to be traded when the Broncos fired offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805

I know that for some, it is simply, "Jay's lieing through his teeth, and McDaniel's approach of saying virtually nothing is proof that he did no wrong", but I see things a bit different.

As I have said before, likely all McDaniels had to do was do a mia culpe, say he really got carried away at the prospect of getting his guy, but that Jay was one of the reasons he was excited to come to Denver and he still feels the same way, and with the Casell thing behind us, there is no way he was going to trade Jay.

There ws absolutely NO reason to state the obvious, unless he was trying to antagonize Jay. He didn't have to say, we aren't looking to trade you, but anyone can be traded if it makes the team better. He said that in an ESPN TV interview and apparently in the meeting with Jay. Why? What possible purpose was there for saying that.

Let's look at it another way. It's like your boss walking up to you and saying, "Hey Ted, I really enjoy working with you, and while I don't plan on doing it today, I just want you to know if I feel it's in the best interest of the company, I can fire you at any time." Ok, he is stating something that is true, but what boss in his right mind would do that to an employee he wanted to keep?

Dortoh
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
And you expect us to take you seriously on McDaniels? I love you man but its time to put you back in your padded room. We've got too much crazy here already. :lol:

Pfft I'm rating gold hoss. The interwebs would fizzle out and die without me

:laugh:

Ravage!!!
09-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Great post, tned.

I think, as you said, McDaniels made the rookie mistake of doing his best to come in and put his "I'm in charge" hat on. "I'm in charge, and everyone else is tradeable." Like you said, thats obvious and doesn't really need to be said UNLESS you are just trying very hard to make a point that "I'm in charge."

I think the interviewer even asked McDaniels "Is Jay Cutler your QB?" I believeed he replied "for now, jay is our QB." Is that right, or something along those lines? The reason it struck me at the time, was because this was before the trade to Chicago, but in a time we thought they would be mending the fences. Instead, he says this publically to make a point of "I'm not committing to Jay Cutler." Exactly the opposite of which he knew the "qb" wanted to hear.

TXBRONC
09-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Great post, tned.

I think, as you said, McDaniels made the rookie mistake of doing his best to come in and put his "I'm in charge" hat on. "I'm in charge, and everyone else is tradeable." Like you said, thats obvious and doesn't really need to be said UNLESS you are just trying very hard to make a point that "I'm in charge."

I think the interviewer even asked McDaniels "Is Jay Cutler your QB?" I believeed he replied "for now, jay is our QB." Is that right, or something along those lines? The reason it struck me at the time, was because this was before the trade to Chicago, but in a time we thought they would be mending the fences. Instead, he says this publically to make a point of "I'm not committing to Jay Cutler." Exactly the opposite of which he knew the "qb" wanted to hear.

There is enough information out there which is straight from McDaniel's own mouth to make an educated guess that he was actively trying to trade Cutler. Therefore, in my opinion that was a rookie mistake on his part.