PDA

View Full Version : Roster Trimmed to 75

DenBronx
09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Tuesday released four players, reducing the size of their roster to the NFL-mandated maximum of 75 players.

Punter Britton Colquitt, wide receiver C.J. Jones, tight end Jeb Putzier and center Blake Schlueter were released by the club.

After a standout career at the University of Tennessee, Colquitt joined the Broncos as a college free agent on Apr. 27. During three preseason games with the club, Colquitt notched six punts, averaging 41.0 yards per attempt. The Knoxville, Tenn. native also kicked a 39-yard field goal in the team's second preseason game against the Seahawks at Quest Field in Seattle.

The Broncos claimed Jones off waivers from Kansas City on June 23. The third-year player spent time on Cleveland's active roster in 2003 and appeared in New England's season opener in 2008.

An eight year NFL veteran, Putzier recorded four receptions for 29 yards this preseason, also tallying a touchdown reception in the club's exhibition opener at San Francisco. Putzier spent his first four seasons at the pro level with Denver before rejoining the team in December.

After earning All-Mountain West Conference recognition during each of this three seasons as a starter for Texas Christian University, Schlueter was selected by the Broncos in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL Draft. The 225th overall pick in April's draft, Schlueter saw action in the team's second preseason game at Seattle.

DenBronx
09-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Putz is a goner. That didnt last too long.

underrated29
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Blake to the PS- the rest, we knew.

DenBronx
09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Colquit was looking pretty good. He has bloodlines in kicking. I think we should have let him play one more game and cut gaffney instead.

BroncoWave
09-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Colquit was looking pretty good. He has bloodlines in kicking. I think we should have let him play one more game and cut gaffney instead.

Fantastic idea. Cut our 4th or 5th best WR so that we can keep another punter on the roster! :lol:

Fan in Exile
09-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Blake to the PS- the rest, we knew.

I was thinking that too but doesn't it seem a little early to release someone you want to stick around? I mean at least keep them till the 5th so that they get another week of practice.

DenBronx
09-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Fantastic idea. Cut our 4th or 5th best WR so that we can keep another punter on the roster! :lol:

i dont consider gaffney to be a nfl wr.

BroncoWave
09-01-2009, 01:40 PM
i dont consider gaffney to be a nfl wr.

Well then I am very glad you don't control our personnel because without Marshall, he is clearly our 3rd best WR. Unless you want to try to tell me that's he's not as good as Chad Jackson or Brandon Lloyd.

claymore
09-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Well then I am very glad you don't control our personnel because without Marshall, he is clearly our 3rd best WR. Unless you want to try to tell me that's he's not as good as Chad Jackson or Brandon Lloyd.

He is out several games with a broken thumb. We are going to need a good punter this year more than a 3rd string WR.

DenBronx

he's not as good as chad jackson or brandon lloyd. he drops touchdown passes.

Denver Native (Carol)
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/01/broncos-release-four/

Broncos release four
by Jeff Legwold on September 1, 2009

The Broncos released four players Tuesday and formally moved wide receiver Brandon Marshall to reserve/suspended to get their roster down to 75 players.

Tight end Jeb Putzier, punter Britton Colquitt, wide receiver C.J. Jones and center Blake Schlueter were let go. Schlueter, a seventh-round draft pick this past April, is a candidate for the team’s practice squad.

The Broncos can name an eight-man practice squad next week.

Marshall is suspended until Sept. 6.

BroncoWave
09-01-2009, 01:45 PM
He is out several games with a broken thumb. We are going to need a good punter this year more than a 3rd string WR.

Then you could argue that he should have cut Kern instead of Colquitt, but it's ridiculous to say you should cut your #3 WR because he has a broken finger. It's not like he's out for the season.

Buff
09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Good, cutting Putzier frees up a TE roster spot to bring back Chad Mustard. :heh:

Dortoh
09-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Just let Orton go deep on 4th downs. We dont need know stinking kickers in Denver.

claymore
09-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Just let Orton go deep on 4th downs. We dont need know stinking kickers in Denver.

LMAO! If orton throws deep, thats like a 9 yard pass right? :confused:

BroncoWave
09-01-2009, 02:00 PM

Well then as long as it's 4th and 9 or less we're good! :D

GEM
09-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Dunno about the Gaffney part of that, but I think I would have let Colquitt stay another week. He's been looking decent and I wasn't aware that Kern had locked it down.

scott.475
09-01-2009, 02:11 PM

...to a guy on the other team. :D

Lonestar
09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
the punter may be picked up by someone else and perhaps cutting him now gives him an option to do that..
I suspect picking up the OLINE guy last week sealed Blake Schlueter doom.. as they do not need like 6 back up centers..

G_Money
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
If Kuper's ankle is bad, we're gonna need at least one backup guard tho...

Still, I agree, Schlueter should be for the PS and we let Colquitt go early so that he has a chance to get another job.

~G

Slick
09-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I bet Colquitt outkicks Kern wherever he winds up.

powderaddict
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Thread topic: "Roster Trimmed"

I love how some can turn any thread, regardless of topic, into a "I hate Orton/McDaniels/Whoever" thread :lol:

Slick
09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

I love how some can turn any thread, regardless of topic, into a "I hate Orton/McDaniels/Whoever" thread :lol:

Please stop quoting Clay. I've got him on ignore.

Dortoh
09-01-2009, 03:06 PM

Not only that but its a retarded subject. If Orton is running the show I doubt we would still be in possesion of the ball by 4th down. :laugh:

OK I'll try and stop that :)

Slick
09-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Hotrod's next

pnbronco
09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
the punter may be picked up by someone else and perhaps cutting him now gives him an option to do that..
I suspect picking up the OLINE guy last week sealed Blake Schlueter doom.. as they do not need like 6 back up centers..

That was my thought when I read that Colquitt was let go, that they wanted him to have a chance to get picked up by another team, esp since he was just on National TV Sunday night.

Buff I think Putzier is the new Chad Mustard. He worked all off season and still has great hands, he's just slowed down, but he is out there if they get in a pinch. He kept his home in Houston and I think he said he went back to Houston every break he got.

claymore
09-01-2009, 03:14 PM

I like Orton. He seems like a good guy.

Dortoh
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
I like Orton. He seems like a good guy.

I'd drink a beer with the guy. I bet he is a wild man after a few shots.

Lonestar
09-01-2009, 03:18 PM
That was my thought when I read that Colquitt was let go, that they wanted him to have a chance to get picked up by another team, esp since he was just on National TV Sunday night.

Buff I think Putzier is the new Chad Mustard. He worked all off season and still has great hands, he's just slowed down, but he is out there if they get in a pinch. He kept his home in Houston and I think he said he went back to Houston every break he got.

hey PUTZ was Jakes best friend on third down, he was like Eddie mac was to John and Greise always making the tough catch and hanging on to the ball.. not a speed demon but I can't remember the last pass he dropped..

Dortoh
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
hey PUTZ was Jakes best friend on third down, he was like Eddie mac was to John and Greise always making the tough catch and hanging on to the ball.. not a speed demon but I can't remember the last pass he dropped..

I actually like him alot. Just an odd man out I guess.

Slick
09-01-2009, 03:21 PM

I liked him too Jr, but no way he's replacing Graham, Sheffler or the draft pick. He was ass out from day one. I'll bet someone signs him though.

Broncos Mtnman
09-01-2009, 03:37 PM
...to a guy on the other team. :D

.... left handed. :rofl:

West
09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Colquitt got the ax? WTF?

He looked head and shoulders better than Kern on Sunday.

Oh well.

Lonestar
I actually like him alot. Just an odd man out I guess.

was not a great TE but a workman that came to work every day carrying his lunch pail did his job making tough catches and went home.. just to many TE on the roster at this tie..

Requiem / The Dagda
If Putzier isn't coming back that's good because Quinn should get a decent amount of reps. Furthermore, I think that might be good for Marquez Branson, who could be our fourth tight end on the roster. I think he can be a player.

Broncos Mtnman
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
After earning All-Mountain West Conference recognition during each of this three seasons as a starter for Texas Christian University, Schlueter was selected by the Broncos in the seventh round of the 2009 NFL Draft. The 225th overall pick in April's draft, Schlueter saw action in the team's second preseason game at Seattle.

So, we have the first casualty of a Mickey Mouse draft, and before the season even starts.

And why, because we signed a former NE Patriot last week.

That Mickey is a freakin' genius.

:coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
09-01-2009, 03:49 PM
He'll be on our practice squad, and it was quite apparent that he wasn't worthy of top 53 man consideration with his play. Not a big deal at all.

Tempus Fugit
09-01-2009, 03:54 PM
So, we have the first casualty of a Mickey Mouse draft, and before the season even starts.

And why, because we signed a former NE Patriot last week.

That Mickey is a freakin' genius.

:coffee:

Good point. No other team in NFL history has ever cut a 7th round draft pick before.:coffee:

Lonestar
09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Good point. No other team in NFL history has ever cut a 7th round draft pick before.:coffee:

especially over a seasoned veteran that knows the system and can play all 5 slots on the OLINE..

would would be that DUMB..

the veterans only down fall is because he is from NE which to some on here is the plague..

remmber that only the DEN way is allowed in DEN.. :salute: