PDA

View Full Version : Computer tech needs website help

Zweems56
09-01-2009, 11:44 AM
So, I was recently charged with designing my school district website. You can check it out if you're bored at www.lehsd.k12.nj.us . Anyway, my problem is, the site should appear as www.lehsd.k12.nj.us/index.htm, or just www.lehsd.k12.nj.us, but when I go to it in firefox, it comes up www.lehsd.k12.nj.us/site/index.htm. Obviously it doesnt find anything. Firefox is the only one I have problems in. But others can use firefox and get to it just fine. I've tried ctrl+f5 to solve the problem, and nothing. I can get to it fine in chrome and IE. This is a pretty big deal, because tons of parents and teachers get on this site daily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
09-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I tried it and it worked fine for me in FF.

I would be inclined to say its something in your firefox cache, id try emptying the cache and close/restart the fire fox and see if that does it.

If I were guesing I would say you had it in a folder called site on computer and originally tested it from that location in firefox so the site part is still in the link, but just speculating there.

Nice looking site by the way.

Zweems56
09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I tried it and it worked fine for me in FF.

I would be inclined to say its something in your firefox cache, id try emptying the cache and close/restart the fire fox and see if that does it.

If I were guesing I would say you had it in a folder called site on computer and originally tested it from that location in firefox so the site part is still in the link, but just speculating there.

Nice looking site by the way.

its strange. I emptied the cache and cleaned temporary internet files. Still no go. I'm thinking about just uninstalling firefox and reinstalling it. But yeah, it works fine on my FF at home. I also had a parent call in and complain that it didnt work in her AOL browser. I know.... AOL..... good joke. everybody laugh. roll on snare drum. curtains. Anyway, I told her to ctrl+f5, and it didnt do anything. I'm assuming that she has the same problem, but if I can't solve it by clearing my cache, how am I going to walk her through it?

Rick
09-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry I tested a couple different things on Firefox and couldn't get it to break so not sure what could be the issue :(

One one piece of advice on the design though, just out of personal taste I would make the links you have on the site that open a pdf file to open a new tab rather than take you off the page. That way the normal site navigation is still available easy without having to hit back.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Here is a link to troubleshoot Firefox - maybe there is something there that you can use.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-complete-guide-to-troubleshooting-mozilla-firefox-problems/

Thnikkaman
09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
So, I was recently charged with designing my school district website. You can check it out if you're bored at www.lehsd.k12.nj.us . Anyway, my problem is, the site should appear as www.lehsd.k12.nj.us/index.htm, or just www.lehsd.k12.nj.us, but when I go to it in firefox, it comes up www.lehsd.k12.nj.us/site/index.htm. Obviously it doesnt find anything. Firefox is the only one I have problems in. But others can use firefox and get to it just fine. I've tried ctrl+f5 to solve the problem, and nothing. I can get to it fine in chrome and IE. This is a pretty big deal, because tons of parents and teachers get on this site daily. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What web server are you using?

Zweems56
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
What web server are you using?

Using IIS

Thnikkaman
09-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Using IIS

Ok. What is the file structure of the site on the server? Also what do you have the default page set up as in IIS?

I'm thinking that this is a server side issue, and not a firefox issue.

Zweems56
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Ok. What is the file structure of the site on the server? Also what do you have the default page set up as in IIS?

I'm thinking that this is a server side issue, and not a firefox issue.

e:\inetpub\wwwroot\site\index.htm

home directory is inetpub\wwwroot\site

so in theory the site should come up as www.lehsd.k12.nj.us/index.htm

in MY firefox, it comes up as www.lehsd.k12.nj.us/site/index.htm

Zweems56
09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Fixed. Clearing the Cache did it. I had previously tried to go into the history and delete everything. Turns out you have to go to tools, and then clear recent history. Apparently clearing history from the history tab by selecting all and deleting everythign didn't quite do the trick.