PDA

View Full Version : Massacre in Chicago

Uncle Buck
11-20-2007, 10:42 PM
What weapons do the Bears have to beat us with, come Sunday?

Overall, their Defense is not that good. Our D line is getting back to Denver standards (as well as our O line).

Greise is injured.

Grossman is sub-par.

This year, the Bears are hardly playoff contenders.

The Titans, whom we beat—handily—are a better team.

I just don’t see anything special about the 2007 Bears.

I’m going out on a limb with: DEN 38-16. We are well overdue for a breakout game.

Tell me where I’m wrong?

BaiLeY324
11-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I’m going out on a limb with: DEN 38-16. We are well overdue for a breakout game.

Did you not watch the game last night?

Anyways. No game is a given, I'm actually a little worried about this game.

Uncle Buck
11-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Did you not watch the game last night?

Anyways. No game is a given, I'm actually a little worried about this game.

Of course I did, Baily... not only "watched" it, but *savored* it! <big grin>

But, yeah, you're right, last night was our "breakout game" of the season, thus far. I guess I'm thinking that that was just the beginning of the return to putting Offensive points on the board--just like the old days.

I'm thinking that we will put even more points on the board, come Sunday.

And, you are right, again, "no game is a given."

Just let me say that I have *confidence."

sneakers
11-21-2007, 01:09 AM
We will win! I will be in attendance! :D

SBboundBRONCOS
11-21-2007, 02:04 AM
We will win! I will be in attendance! :D

me too :rockon:

TXBRONC
11-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Overall, their Defense is not that good. Our D line is getting back to Denver standards (as well as our O line).

Greise is injured.

Grossman is sub-par.

Tell me where I’m wrong?

Hester is still a game changer he can flip field position in a heartbeat.

SR
11-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Hester scares me to bits. Our kickoff and punt coverage is still spotty, but I hope we kick right to him and stop him all day long. I think Grossman will have a super hard time moving the ball against us. For the second week in a row we'll face a team with a solid D, decent ground game, and a bad QB.

This game looks in our favor, and I'll pick Denver 24-9.

Mike
11-21-2007, 08:38 AM
You know...I didn't even think about Hester until I read this thread. Kick the ball out of bounds every time.

I definitely think Denver can (and should) win this game...but it is far from a lock.

SR
11-21-2007, 08:39 AM
You know...I didn't even think about Hester until I read this thread. Kick the ball out of bounds every time.

I definitely think Denver can (and should) win this game...but it is far from a lock.

If we kick the ball out of bounds on kickoffs, they'll start out at the 40.

SR
11-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Current forecast in Chicago on Sunday: Partly cloudy, high 46, chance of rain 10%.

Mike
11-21-2007, 08:41 AM
If we kick the ball out of bounds on kickoffs, they'll start out at the 40.

I know ;).

Given their offensive potency (or lack thereof :laugh:) that might not be a bad thing. ST coverage scares me enough as it is, throw in Hester to the mix...:eek:

SR
11-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I know ;).

Given their offensive potency (or lack thereof :laugh:) that might not be a bad thing. ST coverage scares me enough as it is, throw in Hester to the mix...:eek:

I thought about that too.:laugh:

Den21vsBal19
11-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Hester is most definitely a concern, if ever there was a day for Tommy just to put the ball out the back of the endzone, Sunday is surely it.

Offensively, I think we should be OK, but defensively I'm still pretty concerned. If Young's recievers had actually held onto 4 or 5 perfectly thrown balls on Sunday, things would have been very different, not to mention the appaling non-review on the Scaife (?) catch at the end of the 1st half, and the result could have been certainly closer if not different.

Hopefully though, we can jump out to another quick lead, and take the Bears gameplan away from them :D

champbronc2
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
To add to your reasoning, a bad record in the NFC is MUCH worse than a bad record in the AFC.

We'll beat them.

Grossman will kill them.

Nomad
11-21-2007, 09:24 AM
DEN will not show up for this game like they have the last two games. They'll barely win but they'll also play down to the Bears level. ST will be the key in this game on both teams. Plus I have a buddy, who's a Bears fan, coming over to watch and usually the BRONCOS lose when I invite people over, which is not that often. I think the BRONCOS will win by 3!

SR
11-21-2007, 09:30 AM
It's not an early game, it's an afternoon game.

Tned
11-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Sauerbrun's big leg can often backfire with guys like Hester or Hall when he was at his best. Sauerbrun usually outkicks the coverage, but with average return guys, even if they get some yards, the coverage catches up and contains the return guy after a moderate gain (unlike the Broncos return guy that often faircatches or catches right before the coverage gets to him).

However, when someone like Hester or other great return guys get to catch the ball, and have time to survey the field and has several seconds before the coverage arrives, bad things often happen.

I hope they have Todd either kicking it through the endzone when he is close enough, or kicking out of bounds.

Nomad
11-21-2007, 09:38 AM
It's not an early game, it's an afternoon game.

I just checked out BRONCOS Homepage schedule and they have it at 3:15 Central Time! Oh well I guess the BRONCOS gameday magazine got it wrong!

Tned
11-21-2007, 09:43 AM
I just checked out BRONCOS Homepage schedule and they have it at 3:15 Central Time! Oh well I guess the BRONCOS gameday magazine got it wrong!

Little off topic, but the Broncos have two more 'prime time' games including a Thursday game. I think that will be 5 that were scheduled (not counting flex games). Anyone know how many other teams were scheduled for 5 or more prime time games?

Uncle Buck
11-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Hester is still a game changer he can flip field position in a heartbeat.

Well, I DID allow for them to have 2 TD's! :D

But, you're right. Hester is a big scare factor here.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-21-2007, 12:37 PM
watching the bears every week there are 2 things you DO NOT allow them to do

1) you DO NOT allow grossman to complete the long throws. it gets him into a rythm very fast, however if that first long ball (guarantee first play by their offense) is knocked down or INT'd he will lose a lot of confidence, or you have to sack him a lot. he fumbles all the time, almost as much as he is INT'd

2) you DO NOT even ALLOW hester the chance to win. Even if he doesnt take it all the way which is a strong possibility he can still down teams morale with a big one that could set up a decisive field goal or give grossman a very short field to work with. besides he is likely to start around the 35 anyways whats 5 extra yards.

also the run game is god awful with benson in there. the passing game has potential to beat us which scares me considering how little we have safety help. there D is banged up and not what it used to be.

i think we should kill them and i am going to enjoy every minute of being at my first bronco game

lex
11-21-2007, 05:55 PM

Greise is injured.

Grossman is sub-par.

Tell me where I’m wrong?

Where youre wrong is their Dline is pretty solid. They have Tommie Harris, who is one of the best DTs in the NFL (though he is injured) as well as Brown, Harris and Ogunleaye at DEs. All their DLinemen have the potential to give out Oline fits. Their DLine could injure Jay or it could pressure him into turnovers. Thats how we can lose the game.

Plus, our special teams could lay an egg against Hester.

broncosfanscott
11-22-2007, 03:25 AM

Me too. Nothing is a lock as long as Hester is returning kicks.

I hope Sauerbrun lauches the kickoffs and make sure those punts go out of bounds.

arapaho2
11-22-2007, 12:56 PM

Greise is injured.

Grossman is sub-par.

Tell me where I’m wrong?

they have the urgency of a team on the edge of not makeing the playoffs..that is dangerous

Lonestar
11-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Actually we have a penchant to play to the level of the competition in this case we could get home towned..

We will play either just good enough to blow them out or enough to drop us farther off the radar for a decent draft choice..

SR
11-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Actually we have a penchant to play to the level of the competition in this case we could get home towned..

We will play either just good enough to blow them out or enough to drop us farther off the radar for a decent draft choice..

I would have agreed with that two weeks ago, but I think we've turned that corner since. They played really well against a quality TN team.

Lonestar
11-22-2007, 02:15 PM
I would have agreed with that two weeks ago, but I think we've turned that corner since. They played really well against a quality TN team.

But they did not put them away and allowed them to get a gazillion yards via the air. Something Young almost ranked last in.

They seem to make all pros out of poor performers whether it be RB or QB's.

Den21vsBal19
11-22-2007, 02:21 PM
But they did not put them away and allowed them to get a gazillion yards via the air. Something Young almost ranked last in.

Good job Young's recieving coros had a case of the dropsies, I can't remember Young throwing too many to ground, and at least 3-4 mid to deep balls just plain dropped

SR
11-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Sure he had a lot of passing yards, but the team couldn't get it done when it needed to. Their team is a lot more than just VY. We burned their D for three long TDs...they had the number two ranked D in the league...we put 'em away in the first quarter Jr.

Lonestar
11-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Sure he had a lot of passing yards, but the team couldn't get it done when it needed to. Their team is a lot more than just VY. We burned their D for three long TDs...they had the number two ranked D in the league...we put 'em away in the first quarter Jr.

I guess I saw a different game than you did. Our TOP was 12 minutes or so less than theirs , Yes we got a couple of long TD that are real untypical for us but they were really never out of the game until the final buzzer. Had their WR's caught some of those out and out drops it would have been a completely different final score IMO.

We got lucky on a couple of long plays and were able to pull one out at home, no more no less.

omac
11-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Not only that; aside from Stokley and Graham, we did it with a core of rookie and second year skill players. For them to execute this cleanly on offense against this defense is amazing, but at the same time, I don't expect it every game out.

omac
11-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I guess I saw a different game than you did. Our TOP was 12 minutes or so less than theirs , Yes we got a couple of long TD that are real untypical for us but they were really never out of the game until the final buzzer.

You just answered your own critique; scoring on big plays is a good thing, and it's one of the criticisms posters on this board have said the Broncos have been lacking all year. TOP is a very important stat, but scoring is just more important. TOP is shortened because of the big plays; also, Denver worked with 2 less usuall possesions than the Titans, both because of Glenn Martinez; his return TD gave Tennessee the ball back immediately, and his return fumble also gave the ball back to Tennessee immediately. Those will deduct from Denver's chances to use up time, as well as increase Tennessee's chances to use up time.

Had their WR's caught some of those out and out drops it would have been a completely different final score IMO.

Martinez also dropped a pass that could've kept a drive alive, as he was pretty near the 1st down marker, so that could've been a TD drive instead of a FG. Whatever if-and-but circumstances happen for one team also happen for Denver too. Hey, if Martinez just called fair catch, instead of fumbling the return, Tennessee would have less points on the board too.

We got lucky on a couple of long plays and were able to pull one out at home, no more no less.

Nothing lucky about Hall's long TD run; nothing lucky about Jay's excellent passes and Marshall and Stokley's excellent catches and moves to get to the endzone. Lucky is if a defender suddenly trips over himself and gives them easy access, or a runningback fumbles the ball on the way to the endzone, and one of his teammates recover it for a TD. But there was nothing lucky about players trying to execute under pressure and beating their tacklers and coverages. The game was close, and the Broncos won.

TXBRONC
11-22-2007, 03:30 PM

They never led at point in the game so yes the did put them away.

omac
11-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Also, Denver got 166 yards rushing on a defense that allows 86; Cutler threw for 200 yards against a defense that allows 192. Tennessee averages 139 yards rushing; our defense allows 149; against them, Tennessee ran for 133 yards, but of that, their RBs only got 60 yards, with VY improvising most of his. Nothing lucky about this Denver win.

TXBRONC
11-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Also, Denver got 166 yards rushing on a defense that allows 86; Cutler threw for 200 yards against a defense that allows 192. Tennessee averages 139 yards rushing; our defense allows 149; against them, Tennessee ran for 133 yards, but of that, their RBs only got 60 yards, with VY improvising most of his. Nothing lucky about this Denver win.

With Jr its that Denver got lucky.

omac
11-22-2007, 03:52 PM
With Jr its that Denver got lucky.

Denver deserves more credit than saying they got lucky; they have weaknesses, but they executed well enough to win.

Lonestar
11-22-2007, 04:07 PM

The only reason that DEN was able to get any yards out of this defense was because their run defense was on the bench in hanesworth. Hope mikey will go out and get him this year in FA..3

We got a few big plays and yes that cuts down on TOP but we could not stop them they did it themselves. Mostly by dropping passes.

Well I continue to believe this team is not all that great and if we should get into the plays we will get 60 minutes of playing time and will watch the rest of the playoffs on TV.

I have stated all year that this team is a season away from being a really good team that can steamroll over most teams in the league. While many think they can limp there way to a playoff win.

TXBRONC
11-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Denver deserves more credit than saying they got lucky; they have weaknesses, but they executed well enough to win.

Realistic fans know this.

omac
11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Realistic fans know this.

I thought only orange tinted glasses fans who drink Mikey's cool aid thought this way. :D

TXBRONC
11-22-2007, 04:10 PM
The only reason that DEN was able to get any yards out of this defense was because their run defense was on the bench in hanesworth. Hope mikey will go out and get him this year in FA..3

We got a few big plays and yes that cuts down on TOP but we could not stop them they did it themselves. Mostly by dropping passes.

Well I continue to believe this team is not all that great and if we should get into the plays we will get 60 minutes of playing time and will watch the rest of the playoffs on TV.

I have stated all year that this team is a season away from being a really good team that can steamroll over most teams in the league. While many think they can limp there way to a playoff win.

You've also that this team would lose every game that they have won. You're no Jimmy the Greek Jr.

Lonestar
11-22-2007, 04:39 PM
You've also that this team would lose every game that they have won. You're no Jimmy the Greek Jr.

And they very well may have had they not gotten up big and fast two of those games. But then we have already discussed that ad nauseam have we not?

TXBRONC
11-22-2007, 04:55 PM
And they very well may have had they not gotten up big and fast two of those games. But then we have already discussed that ad nauseam have we not?

You opened door did you not?

SR
11-23-2007, 01:54 AM
IF they caught them...BUT they DIDN'T...

I'm a little more of an optimist than you, Mr Negative East Texas.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-25-2007, 10:53 PM
well looks like i was right about hester

he is scary good