PDA

View Full Version : Broncos could move up, draft Jamar Taylor for corner help

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2013, 04:53 PM
The Broncos didn't get their cornerback in the first round Thursday as Xavier Rhodes went off the board three spots before their No. 28 pick.

Defensive tackle Sylvester Williams became the Broncos' first-round pick.

There remains several potential starting corners available in the second round Friday. Between the slew of corners and running backs, the Broncos might try to trade up from their No. 58 position in the second round. They also have the No. 90 pick in the third round.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23116369/broncos-could-move-up-draft-jamar-taylor-corner

broncohead
04-26-2013, 05:10 PM
I just don't see it as a huge need. We drafted one last year his names escapes me and a 2nd rounder this year will be no better then a dime corner. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft one in the 2nd just no point moving up for one.

shank
04-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't see a big need either unless our staff has 0 faith in Bolden

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Did Bolden do anything to earn faith? Champ cant play forever.

My only issue is the choice. Dont see Taylor as much better than, Slay, Banks, Alford, Wreh-Wilson. Not enough to move up anyway

Ziggy
04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Trading up would be ridiculously stupid at this point. There is way too much talent on the board to lose picks at this point.

topscribe
04-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Boy, Klis has really been banging the table for a cornerback! I find it comical. lol

cmc0605
04-26-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't see it either. We got Bailey, Rodgers-Cromartie, Harris, and Carter who could all start on most teams. Sure, they'll need to look for Bailey's replacement soon, but in the second round this year?

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't see it either. We got Bailey, Rodgers-Cromartie, Harris, and Carter who could all start on most teams. Sure, they'll need to look for Bailey's replacement soon, but in the second round this year?

Would you prefer relying on a 4th rounder to replace a hall of famer?

cmc0605
04-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Would you prefer relying on a 4th rounder to replace a hall of famer?

I don't want to rely on a second rounder to do so either, particularly given all the DBs that are already off the board. Bailey is one of the best ever, and we are actually pretty stacked at CB this year. I don't think we should look for Bailey's replacement at all in this draft, FWIW.

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Other option is to wait til he retires or proves too old or gets injured. Then we either have nothing or else we're reaching for a quick fix. We will need to field a team after this season

topscribe
04-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Other option is to wait til he retires or proves too old or gets injured. Then we either have nothing or else we're reaching for a quick fix. We will need to field a team after this season
Coach, you talk as if the FO doesn't see this coming.

They've made some pretty good decisions so far, haven't they?

Lancane
04-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Could also be the Rodgers-Cromartie has a terrific year and the Broncos tag him to replace Bailey. It's not like we're so weak at corner that it's of concern, without DRC I might agree, but as it stands that is not the case.

cmc0605
04-26-2013, 06:13 PM
As the second round unfolds, I think it's so far safe to say that Denver doesn't want to move up in some desperation move for a good CB. There's a lot of good CBs off the board now, and it's not an immediate need.

chazoe60
04-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I hope we don't draft a CB until the fourth or later. I don't see it as a pressing need at all.

topscribe
04-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Could also be the Rodgers-Cromartie has a terrific year and the Broncos tag him to replace Bailey. It's not like we're so weak at corner that it's of concern, without DRC I might agree, but as it stands that is not the case.
The consensus is that DRC is among the most gifted CBs in the league. His only
problem has seemed inconsistency. But there is more to the story than that.
Moreover, he will be joining a very strong leadership core, from the coaches to
the players, including Champ, Harris, and Woodyard. I may be wrong, but I really
do expect him to break out in his new environment. If he does, he could be
scary good.

MOtorboat
04-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Boy, Klis has really been banging the table for a cornerback! I find it comical. lol

And then they took one.

Apparently, he knew something.

topscribe
04-26-2013, 09:47 PM
And then they took one.

Apparently, he knew something.
I would say Elway and Fox knew something. Like they let the draft come to
them, as they said they would. The clowns at the DP have all been thinking
and writing about positions. The FO has been thinking BPA.

Not sure if they achieved it with this selection, but, as I mentioned, I'll give
them the benefit of the doubt for now.

MOtorboat
04-26-2013, 09:50 PM
I would say Elway and Fox knew something. Like they let the draft come to
them, as they said they would. The clowns at the DP have all been thinking
and writing about positions. The FO has been thinking BPA.

Not sure if they achieved it with this selection, but, as I mentioned, I'll give
them the benefit of the doubt for now.

:backpeddle:

Jsteve01
04-26-2013, 11:31 PM
reaching for a guy that no one had graded as a 3rd round pick is not letting the draft come to you. Riddle me this. Which is a bigger need right now since we lost our pro bowl RDE and our backup had like two sacks last year? Corner where we've got two all pro level players, one of the best young nickel corners in the league and two other young guns that look solid? I think I'll go with the DE for twenty Bob.

Lancane
04-27-2013, 12:29 AM
reaching for a guy that no one had graded as a 3rd round pick is not letting the draft come to you. Riddle me this. Which is a bigger need right now since we lost our pro bowl RDE and our backup had like two sacks last year? Corner where we've got two all pro level players, one of the best young nickel corners in the league and two other young guns that look solid? I think I'll go with the DE for twenty Bob.

That's how I see it as well... Andrew Mason wrote that according to Elway, Webster will compete with Carter to be the fourth cornerback on the depth chart? So, he's not even competing for the nickel spot nor do they think he can? What about Bolden? Are they giving up on the kid they gushed about last year after one season? But then Sam Montgomery, who was considered by many to be a possible late first round to second round pick was taken two spots later? Someone that could have come in and competed and likely would have been in the rotation at minimal at the depleted defensive end position? I don't mind Webster, just where they took him and how that really shows a lack of discipline in regards to the two philosophies utilized by NFL teams in the draft, Need or BPA.

Ziggy
04-27-2013, 12:52 AM
Elway has shown a ton of discipline in this draft by not trading up as some of the big names have dropped in all 3 rounds. He's gotten 2 starters in the first 3 rounds. I'll give this kid a chance before I call it a bad pick.

Lancane
04-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Elway has shown a ton of discipline in this draft by not trading up as some of the big names have dropped in all 3 rounds. He's gotten 2 starters in the first 3 rounds. I'll give this kid a chance before I call it a bad pick.

See, your mistaking what I said, I never called it a bad pick...I'm calling it piss poor draft discipline. I have no problem with them wanting the kid, but there is a good chance he'd have still been available when Denver's fourth round pick would be on the clock tomorrow. Belichick liked Webster so Denver jumped to get him before New England did with one of their two or so picks before then. That's not discipline... I've given Elway a bunch of credit over the course of the last two years, but other then Von Miller, it could be argued that the team has not found the best talent in comparison to other regimes in that same time frame (just saying). I love the Williams pick and I am cool with the Ball pick as well, I think they could be difference makers... When you draft a guy in the third round to compete for the fourth spot at a position over someone that could compete for the starting spot from day one or at least as a backup? That neither follows drafting for need or BPA.

"In Elway We Trust", is a mantra spoken only when it suits those using that term. If fans really trusted Elway they wouldn't question the addition of Philip Blake to compete for an interior spot, they wouldn't be so quick to want to kick Franklin inside to play guard because they think he's only a suitable tackle, they wouldn't be so hard up for a middle linebacker and give Irving a shot without *****ing and moaning, they wouldn't question Wolfe as a pick or playing at defensive end, they wouldn't question the Osweiler pick, they wouldn't be so hard up to give up on Rahim Moore, etc., etc., etc.

Now, I am going to be a real ***hole buddy, not that I am trying to (sincerely I am not)...but, take Von Miller off the first draft, just pretend that we didn't have that pick. Would you consider the past two drafts successful?

See it's really Von Miller that has fans so trustworthy, but in fairness it's hard to F' up a top five pick (about 33%) so odds were that Denver would have still found someone to be a mainstay somewhere. Clady, Kuper, Bailey, Dumervil and Manning were all Pro-Bowl caliber players before he got here, and if you take Manning away in free agency? That is why this is the show me now league. Yes, I respect Elway, but that doesn't mean he is not without fault. Like I said, I love the Williams pick and I am cool with the Ball pick, but you can not honestly tell me that Webster wasn't a reach at that spot. Well you can...that would be your opinion.

You can believe what you want...that is what makes this country great Zig - we all have an opinion. And I personally believe a defensive end is a far bigger need and had better graded players at that position available at that spot.

:beer: