PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Ben Garland moves from defensive to offensive line

rationalfan
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
well, this is interesting/unexpected.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23113899/broncos-ben-garland-moves-from-defensive-offensive-line

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
With neither transaction nor announcement, the Broncos added an offensive lineman in recent days.

He is Ben Garland, who had been a Broncos' defensive tackle.

The former Air Force standout recently had his schedule rearranged so that he is now conditioning and meeting with the Broncos offensive linemen. It's not yet been determined whether the 6-foot-5, 275-pound Garland will settle in at guard or tackle.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23113899/broncos-ben-garland-moves-from-defensive-offensive-line

Lancane
04-26-2013, 10:40 AM
At 6-5, 275lbs. he needs to add about 35lbs., but I see him fitting inside, if at all.

I thought he may move to defensive end, but I am cool with this...he could compete at center at his current weight and Denver could then have Walton and Blake compete at guard and center along with Garland. I hope for nothing short of success for Garland though.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Sounds like they can see he isn't going to make it at DL, but has good feet. Good athlete, so looking to add to his versatility.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-26-2013, 12:38 PM
I thought I read somewhere that he's actually closer to 300 now. I think 275 is where he was over a year ago.

Lancane
04-26-2013, 12:50 PM
I thought I read somewhere that he's actually closer to 300 now. I think 275 is where he was over a year ago.

If that is true, he could be a camp sleeper to replace someone, either a starter or backup on the interior of the line.

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
He wont be on the roster this time next year

Lancane
04-26-2013, 01:08 PM

That's opinionative Coach, especially given that you can find a number of defensive lineman who've found success on the other side of the trenches. When you look at the depth of the position, the backups the Broncos' currently have are by no means great, so he still has a shot...otherwise the team would have deterred him from making the switch.

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I'll stand by my opinion

topscribe
04-26-2013, 01:23 PM
At 6-5, 275lbs. he needs to add about 35lbs., but I see him fitting inside, if at all.

I thought he may move to defensive end, but I am cool with this...he could compete at center at his current weight and Denver could then have Walton and Blake compete at guard and center along with Garland. I hope for nothing short of success for Garland though.

I read on the official site that Garland has bulked up to 305.

I really hope he turns out to be a butt-kicker on the OL. I like the heck out of him . . .

topscribe
04-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I'll stand by my opinion
Coach, you know as well as anybody that the OL is a completely different
skill-set. Most of our good offensive linemen would never make it on the DL.
So I don't know how you can be so sure of that.

Lancane
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Coach, you know as well as anybody that the OL is a completely different
skill-set. Most of our good offensive linemen would never make it on the DL.
So I don't know how you can be so sure of that.

Because he is stubborn that way, I don't mind...makes for great debatable conversation though...lmao.

shank
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
I'll stand by my baseless opinion

ok then.

pipes
04-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Replace someone?

Hopefully Manny Ramirez!

Lancane
04-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Replace someone?

Hopefully Manny Ramirez!

I doubt he will replace Ramirez, but we have about three other guards on the roster who are pretty much fodder.

WARHORSE
04-26-2013, 02:37 PM
I can understand why Coach would say that, offensive line is a different beast.

I dont know if garland can do it, but have often wondered why more of this doesnt happen.

In general defensive linemen are more athletic than olinemen. so why not train discarded dlinemen to play oline?

Makes sense to me.

I think Garland can do it.

Lancane
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM

I dont know if garland can do it, but have often wondered why more of this doesnt happen.

In general defensive linemen are more athletic than olinemen. so why not train discarded dlinemen to play oline?

Makes sense to me.

Look at Long, he was a defensive player like a few others in his notorious family, he switched and became a first round pick.

topscribe
04-26-2013, 02:47 PM

Makes sense to me.

While Garland fell to the numbers game on the DL, his quickness and agility is
superior to most offensive linemen. If he really can carry his new weight, I don't
know why he can't compete there. Frankly, I never did have a lot of hope for
him on defense, but all the sudden it's like he just might have found his niche?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
LT pays better than DT. There are a lot of OT's who could have been elite DT's. Ryan Clady is one of them. I'm just pointin' it out. :D

Jsteve01
04-26-2013, 03:49 PM
I have to agree with coach. If the kid hasn't played O line in 6 years there is no way he's going to have enough technique to make this move. And I'm a Garland fan. I'm from GJ and we don't have many kids get a shot in the league. I hope I'm wrong, but I really doubt it. To put it in perspective Stink tells a story about Zimm coming into camp late one year and Gibbs trying him at right tackle. He was horrid. and that was just transitioning from the left to the right.

topscribe
04-26-2013, 04:59 PM
I have to agree with coach. If the kid hasn't played O line in 6 years there is no way he's going to have enough technique to make this move. And I'm a Garland fan. I'm from GJ and we don't have many kids get a shot in the league. I hope I'm wrong, but I really doubt it. To put it in perspective Stink tells a story about Zimm coming into camp late one year and Gibbs trying him at right tackle. He was horrid. and that was just transitioning from the left to the right.
If the coaching staff felt that way, I doubt they would have considered attempting
the switch. They have better things to do than to engage in hopeless causes. I'm
more inclined to believe they may see something there. It may just be they could
have already tinkered around with him in the O-line a bit. Who knows?

Ziggy
04-26-2013, 05:31 PM

The article is using his college weight. He was at 300 last season.

Lancane
04-26-2013, 06:02 PM

Yet, we see Tight Ends becoming Tackles, oh and Lane Johnson was a Quarterback a few years ago!

Joel
04-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Clearly, we have an oustanding group of guards: They're so good we're supplementing them with backup DTs. :rolleyes:

SR
04-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Clearly, we have an oustanding group of guards: They're so good we're supplementing them with backup DTs. :rolleyes:

Actually, we are pretty good on guards. They didn't move Garland because they're thin.

Jsteve01
04-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Yet, we see Tight Ends becoming Tackles, oh and Lane Johnson was a Quarterback a few years ago! and many qbs become receivers in the league. I'm just saying It's a rarity, and not the norm. I hope I'm wrong.

topscribe
04-28-2013, 11:26 PM
and many qbs become receivers in the league. I'm just saying It's a rarity, and not the norm. I hope I'm wrong.
Wrong? No, you wouldn't be wrong by merely questioning it, which is all you
really should be doing at this point. Because none of us really has a clue as to
what is going on there. I really want him to succeed, as I'm sure you do, but
none of us is going to know until after the fact . . .

Ziggy
04-28-2013, 11:34 PM
This is just my opinion, but I read it as this, "Ben we love your character and work ethic but you have no shot of making it as a Dlineman on this team. How do you feel about a position change?" I like it. It's a long shot, but at least he has a shot.

turftoad
04-29-2013, 09:07 AM

Practice squad maybe if it looks like he has a chance to pick it up.

Ziggy
04-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Practice squad maybe if it looks like he has a chance to pick it up.

Does he have any PS eligibility left?

turftoad
04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Does he have any PS eligibility left?

He's only been in the league his rookie year. I believe there is a three year eligibility.

LTC Pain
04-29-2013, 01:42 PM
I hope Garland turns into a nuclear powered road grader on the O-line and just mows somebody's lawn!!!

Ziggy
04-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Here's a nice bit from January with some good info by Legwold in his mailbag:

Q: Glad to see that the Broncos signed Ben Garland to a futures/reserve contract. Do you have any insight into the Broncos' thoughts on Garland? I assume that being out of football for two years probably set him back. Could he be the next Mitch Unrein on the defensive line?

A: Tom, Garland spent the 2012 season on the Broncos' practice squad and continues to impress the team with his work ethic and commitment to making himself a better player.

It was an easy decision for them to bring him back with a reserves contract, and they will continue to search for a role for him. He has tremendously quick feet for a player his size. Former Broncos coach Red Miller said during a visit to the Broncos facility that Garland had the quickest feet of any of the Broncos defensive linemen.

There are those in the league who are intrigued by the idea that Garland may be even able to play guard on the offensive line if the Broncos were so inclined.

But a player who works as hard as Garland does and continues to flash potential and show improvement will get an opportunity.

Garland was 6-foot-5, 288 pounds when he went through his pro day at Air Force in 2010. At the time he ran a 5.07 40-yard dash with a 35-inch vertical jump.

Scouts use the vertical to measure explosiveness, a player's ability to come out of his stance with power. So, Garland's showing was good and the Broncos certainly took note at the time, given what an impact player he had been on defense for the Falcons.

Garland then had to lose a significant amount of weight following his playing career at Air Force to go through his two-year service commitment. Still, the Broncos had seen enough in
his work in the weeks following the 2010 draft to place him on reserve/military.

He has said when he served he had to be "245 pounds with my boots on," and part of his return this past season was building his body back up again. Garland then worked through the offseason workouts as well as training camp, eventually getting himself to 305 pounds.

But there is some rustiness on the football side of things after two years away that service-academy players have to deal with. Chad Hall, an Air Force graduate and now 49ers wide receiver, said at the Super Bowl this week that it's an issue that can be overcome with effort.

"I think Ben and I understand that some of the things we lived at the Academy can help you get through that, the hard work, the belief that you should be out their first, stay the latest," Hall said. "I think it's tough to go the way we have into the NFL, but if a team will give you an opportunity I think we can show them we belong and contribute something.

"We know about teamwork. I know Ben is always a going to be a guy who gives it everything he has in everything he does."
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22481486/ben-garland-continues-impress-broncos-work-ethic-quick

Superchop 7
05-01-2013, 11:34 AM
But.....you can have all the technique in the world as an o-lineman.....if you don't have the feet.....your screwed.

The beauty is, the coaches can teach him from scratch.......keep in mind that a line coach is a guy that would rather work with a 5th round guy than a 1st round guy.....it's the nature of the coaching beast.

It's great to know that Red Miller is around the Broncos, the fact his granddaughter got a gold medal at the Olympics.....no surprise to me, the fact he turned the Broncos into winners......no surprise to me, he is a man that loves the team, the fans, but above all loves the players.

Ben, if Red thinks you can do it......you can.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-01-2013, 02:41 PM
If the coaching staff felt that way, I doubt they would have considered attempting
the switch. They have better things to do than to engage in hopeless causes. I'm
more inclined to believe they may see something there. It may just be they could
have already tinkered around with him in the O-line a bit. Who knows?

There was talk of them doing it last year.

Dzone
05-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Beadles is finished, Garland is a lot stronger, faster and less fat. LOL

Simple Jaded
05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Beadles is finished, Garland is a lot stronger, faster and less fat. LOL

I'm buying a Ben Garland jersey.

Dzone
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Garland jerseys will be flying off the shelves. They will be sold out. Everyone will want a Garland jersey.
The dudes yoked

Denver Native (Carol)
05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
After signing with the Broncos as a college free agent in April 2010, he served two years in the U.S. Air Force.

Garland returned to Denver in 2012 and earned a spot on the team’s practice squad as a defensive lineman.

Now he’s made another jump – to the other side of the line. Instead of pass rushing as a defensive end, he’ll be pass blocking as an offensive guard.

“We joked about it last year when I was running practice squad offensive line,” Garland said. “It was always a joke until this season. They thought it was a real possibility, so we went for it.”

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Garland-Transitioning-From-Defense-to-Offense/8a05ecc8-053b-4410-ba13-9dffe1675378