PDA

View Full Version : First round selection Sylvester Williams -- ESPN Sport Science Evaluation

Tned
04-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Pretty encouraging:

http://youtu.be/w9GZz4l2Sxs

Ziggy
04-25-2013, 11:17 PM
http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/1/96/4109113/114893-650-366.jpg

DT Sylvester Williams- 6'3 313

Alright guys, weigh in. I was hoping for Te'o when he was still available, but I'm not going to complain about a talented defensive tackle. I don't think too many people expected him to be there at 28, including Elway. He said he had offers to trade down, but couldn't pass on Sly. I see him at UT on base downs, moving to NT on passing downs next to Wolfe.

STRENGTHS: Possesses a naturally large, thick build. Possesses a very quick first step and a lethal swim move (both arms, if necessary) to slip past interior linemen. Varies his burst off the snap, lulling his opponent into relaxing and can make the explosive tackle behind the line of scrimmage before the ball-carrier has had time to make his first cut.

Good strength for the bull rush. Has the strength to rip his arms free to disengage and shows a quick, closing burst. Very good strength for the drag-down tackle as ballcarriers attempt to run by him. Versatile. Asked to line up on the nose, defensive tackle and even out wide, showing the ability to hold up to double-teams. Improving awareness versus screens, draws. Good pursuit to the edge. Has only played football for five years and appears to be an ascending player.

WEAKNESSES: Struggles with consistency. Can make the flashy play and then disappear for long stretches. Relies on his swim move to slip past the defender but has only average flexibility, which forces him to turn his back to "get skinny." When doing so, Williams often loses sight of the ball, actually helping his opponent create easy lanes, at times.

Lack of ideal flexibility and awareness is also evident against cut-blocks, as he is often knocked to the ground and has only average quickness in getting back up to get himself back into the play. While he shows good pursuit to the edge, Williams loses steam quickly and doesn't give much effort downfield.

COMPARES TO: Gerard Warren, DT, New England Patriots -- Like the 12-year veteran of the NFL trenches, Williams possesses precisely the combination of size, power, and burst to dominate the middle. The question for scouts will be if he has the work ethic to dominate consistently.
--Rob Rang
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824167/sylvester-williams

Strengths: • Good pass rusher
• Fast
• Capable of taking games over
• Can be dominant
• Plays with good pad level
• Fast feet
• Quick first step
• Good use of hands
• Able to use hands and feet at same time
• Plays with good strength
• Athletic
• Can be extremely disruptive
• Splash plays
• Instinctive
• Solid run-defender
• Versatile
• Should be able to play quickly

Weaknesses: • Far too inconsistent
• Was shut down by subpar linemen
• Suspect motor
• Takes plays off?
• Conditioning, stamina?
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013swilliams.php

Pros
•Has ideal height and bulk to be strong in the trenches and fit in any scheme
•Explodes out of his snap, fires off the ball
•Excellent overall quickness allows him to split gaps and penetrate into the backfield
•Has long arms (33") and does a good job extending to keep blockers off his body
•Very strong upper, plays with a lot of power; does not get moved off the ball easily
•Uses his big hands (10") to win hand fights and deliver strong punch
•Great motor, never quits on plays; excellent in pursuit
•Has a strong lower body and flashes strong anchor at times
•Much room for improvement; high upside

Cons
•Poor pad level and does not consistently create good leverage; plays much too upright
•Not consistently reliable in gap control yet; can be leveraged and washed out of plays
•Raw; only two years of D-1, and only played five total years of organized football
•Needs to improve underdeveloped hand use and technique
•Football IQ and awareness needs improvement
•Tends to get upfield too quickly and run himself out of plays
http://www.nfldraftgeek.com/sylvesterwilliams.html

Dapper Dan
04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
I knew someone would make a thread eventually. :D

cmc0605
04-25-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm happy with the pick. I was hoping we'd go defense, and in particular the front 7. I was hoping for DT, DE, or MLB and we got one of them.

For the past few years, a lot of us have been talking about the DT position. A year ago it was #1 priority. Thenn with the coming of Del Rio, and adequate play of Vickerson, Bannan, Unrein, and now the signing of Knighton, it sort of was forgotten about. But I still thought there was plenty of opportunity to improve against the run, and to develop a better interior presence in general. Del Rio, in particular, likes those DTs.

I know people still think we need a better MLB and think we need to give some effort in replacing Dumervil. I don't really disagree, but there's still 6 more rounds and some good talent left on the board. I still think Denver has the most complete team in the NFL, and I don't see any "emergency gap" that hasn't been filled.

Jsteve01
04-25-2013, 11:42 PM
there are a ton of pass rushers to be had in the next three rounds. Just too much talent there for it not to play out that way. Also still some good corners. I'm pretty cool with that.

Dapper Dan
04-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Here's what I have in my draft magazines.

USA Today Draft Magazine:
Sylvester Williams 1-2 round

Pros: Combines good size and quickness. A disruptive player who has a sudden arm-over move. A good effort tackle who works to the whistle. An impact player who doesn't catch blocks. Sudden and explosive with his hands. Good hand and feet coordination.

Cons: Inconsistent at times using his technique to unlock hips with force.

Lindy's Sports
Prototype Tackling: Sylvester Williams
Whether lining up inside or outside, Williams has the strength and athleticism to drag ballcarriers down even when double-teamed.

Pro Football Draft Guide
Williams is a massive nose tackle with a quick first step. he has a powerful upper body and uses his hands very well, consistently manhandling blockers. He's fast in pursuit when the play goes away from him. His motor can run hot and cold, but with a little bit of coaching he could be a solid starter as a three-technique or on the nose.

Pro Football Weekly Round 1 (ranked as the best 3-tech player over Richardson, Floyd, and Short)
Strong, versatile, highly motivated interior presence was slowed by a left ankle injury that he battle through as a senior. Stood out at the Senior Bowl and has intangibles and work ethic to become a dominating inside force at multiple positions vs. the run and pass.

G_Money
04-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Seriously, the dude can play. I liked Richardson better, but obviously so did NFL teams. Williams could become a very, VERY good player in this league. I've been jealous of the Vilings and their Williamses for a while.

Now we have one of our own that can hopefully start down that path.

~G

Dzone
04-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Wow, all the talking heads are loving the denver pick...lol

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 12:11 AM
My issue with Richardson was his effort and his productivity

WARHORSE
04-26-2013, 12:12 AM
I love the pick. Interior pressure to go along with Von, Wolfe and Ayers.

This guy has an explosive first step and will be able to play at RDE too.

He will offer versatility on the Dline even more.

Considering what was there, I give the Broncos credit for staying pat and taking a very good player.

A+

Dzone
04-26-2013, 12:18 AM
hey that as a great video. Thanks

Nick
04-26-2013, 12:19 AM
I just been doing a lot of research on this kid... More I did, the more I like this kid... Williams played football for one season in high school, and started only one game. Not being recruited by college programs, he assembled radiator parts for 18-wheelers before deciding to walk-on at Coffeyville Community College (exactly) He had 52 tackles and two sacks in 2010. He then enrolled at North Carolina in 2011.

He played two years at NC... People say 5 years experience, He got the opportunity at NC because of athletic ability. He basically only has two years of "real"college experience. The Walter football seems to be most accurate breakdown and from extensive video watching of him... It is basically his experience and awarness in his low performing games. I saw times he blasted through someone but ran by the ball carrier lol. Those things can be fixed. He is just learning to play.

So I looked a little deeper into him.

Williams when walking on at Coffeyville Community College four years ago. He weighed 370 lbs. By Coffeyville's opening game the defensive tackle "Sly" was down to 313 - his current weight. Two years later, having earned a full ride to North Carolina, he was plaguing ACC linemen with his surprising quickness and very powerful swim move.

After first year it was in 330s, then when he met the Tar Heels' new coach, Larry Fedora, to bring it back down. Which he got right on top of.

So he was used differently 1st year and 2nd year at NC. That alone can have an effect. Also on forums of tar heel fans it seems he played through a left ankle injury.

His first step is insanely good... I played and re winded a lot of snaps... How he looked was different ALOT on each play. He just need to work on technique and get more experience. I am pretty darn excited about this now and a few people talking about him a year back as a sleeper in 2nd and 3rd round. So he went from a 1 start HS, Comunity college, NC, first year sleeper in 2nd- 3rd to 1st day selection as high as 10-20 selection to 2nd round.

https://twitter.com/Sylwil92

He worked hard very hard to make it... That is type of person you want. He has motivation and dedication. Welcome to the Broncos!

Ziggy
04-26-2013, 12:21 AM
The Broncos will have something on passing downs that no other team in the NFL has. Two interior pass rushers with an elite pass rusher coming off of the edge.

WARHORSE
04-26-2013, 12:28 AM
The Broncos will have something on passing downs that no other team in the NFL has. Two interior pass rushers with an elite pass rusher coming off of the edge.

And even Vickerson and Ayers can bring the pressure when they can pin their ears back.

His explosive first step will cause some real problems for people once they get some work done on him technique wise.

I like the pick.

Interior pressure to go with outward....oh my.

dogfish
04-26-2013, 12:31 AM
love it. . . dude has a ton of ability, and i think we have the defensive coaching staff to get the most out of him. . . we've had a crying need for an infusion of young talent at the spot for a decade-- particularly someone who can collapse the pocket on passing downs. . . he'll most likely be used primarily as a sub-package rusher, at least to start, and that should keep him fresh. . . i just hope the young fella's ready to get after it. . .

Ziggy
04-26-2013, 12:32 AM
And even Vickerson and Ayers can bring the pressure when they can pin their ears back.

His explosive first step will cause some real problems for people once they get some work done on him technique wise.

I like the pick.

Interior pressure to go with outward....oh my.

Our nickel dline should look like this:

DE- Von Miller
DT- Sly Williams
DT- Derek Wolfe
DE- Ayers/Rookie?

Poet
04-26-2013, 12:39 AM
He's a good player that can be a contributor from day one. When you're an incredible team, you don't have to draft flashy WR's and defensive ends. I feel like most people don't like the pick because it's not flashy.

Ziggy
04-26-2013, 01:14 AM
He's a good player that can be a contributor from day one. When you're an incredible team, you don't have to draft flashy WR's and defensive ends. I feel like most people don't like the pick because it's not flashy.

It was a good pick. Cinci did great as well. Eifert is going to be a star.

Dzone
04-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Played on a bad ankle. Great athleticism and has not hit his peak yet. Will get better with pro coaching
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-6hpChpJ0

zbeg
04-26-2013, 04:01 AM
NFL Network's gamechangers, featuring Sylvester Williams and two guys who aren't Sylvester Williams, so are therefore irrelevant. :P

Though I have to say Warren Sapp steals the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87StwFMBh48

Northman
04-26-2013, 04:40 AM

Yea, wouldnt of been my first choice but at least they addressed the position.

Dapper Dan
04-26-2013, 04:53 AM
NFL Network's gamechangers, featuring Sylvester Williams and two guys who aren't Sylvester Williams, so are therefore irrelevant. :P

Though I have to say Warren Sapp steals the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87StwFMBh48

Thanks. I hadn't seen that yet.

BigDaddyBronco
04-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Eff yea!!!!!

Beast!!!!

TXBRONC
04-26-2013, 07:17 AM
I like the pick we need a big disruptive force in the middle of the line and this guy might be able to provide that for us.

It also looks like Denver will have a chance to draft Moore if they want.

TXBRONC
04-26-2013, 07:32 AM

Any idea why Moore slipped out of the first round?

elsid13
04-26-2013, 07:34 AM

Poor post season workouts

TXBRONC
04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
It doesn't sound like we might have a good one and we could still draft a defensive end in round two.

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 07:42 AM

Poor post season workouts

Bad workouts and the rumor mill. Somehow he was considered this immature, lazy pothead. Who knows. He's only 20 years old and has a ton of upside, so someone is going to get a player that will be pretty damn good. It'd be nice if he fell all the way down to our pick.

TXBRONC
04-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Bad workouts and the rumor mill. Somehow he was considered this immature, lazy pothead. Who knows. He's only 20 years old and has a ton of upside, so someone is going to get a player that will be pretty damn good. It'd be nice if he fell all the way down to our pick.

It's possible.

Last night as Denver was getting ready to make their selection Mayock kicked around the idea that Denver might take him with 28th pick. Maybe Denver will move up in the second round to get him.

MasterShake
04-26-2013, 08:33 AM
I will never claim to be an expert on the draft (I will never do a mock, I hardly watch any College Football outside of CU), I'm merely a simple Broncos fan but I always check in after the pick to see what others think who know more than I do. I went ahead and looked at some stuff on him and I like that the Broncos are looking to change their attitudes towards the middle of the defense by getting someone that sounds like he could be disruptive. They fact that they targeted a DT so early makes me interested to see the next few rounds even more.

CoachChaz
04-26-2013, 08:43 AM
It's possible.

Last night as Denver was getting ready to make their selection Mayock kicked around the idea that Denver might take him with 28th pick. Maybe Denver will move up in the second round to get him.

I think he'll be gone before we pick next and I dont know if I'd give up too much to move up. but Cornelius Washington could be there for us and I'd take him in a heartbeat

LTC Pain
04-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Found this at ESPN about Sly Williams:

The Broncos continued to get bigger in the middle of the defense Thursday night when they took advantage of an unexpected fall by North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams.

“That is a steal in the first round,” ESPN analyst Todd McShay said on the air of Denver getting Williams with the 28th overall pick in the draft.

The Williams choice was typical of the John Elway regime. The Broncos took the best defensive player on the board. Elway’s mantra is to let the board come to him, and that’s what happened when Williams dropped to Denver.

Williams, who was expected to be picked in the 18-25 range, is disruptive and athletic. He has a chance to boost Denver’s rotation immediately. Denver also signed Terrance Knighton in free agency; he and Kevin Vickerson will help, too. Denver’s run defense should rapidly improve with the additions of Knighton and Williams.

BeefStew25
04-26-2013, 08:47 AM
We need Marcus Thomas back.

elsid13
04-26-2013, 08:51 AM
I think he'll be gone before we pick next and I dont know if I'd give up too much to move up. but Cornelius Washington could be there for us and I'd take him in a heartbeat

I really think Washington was the forgotten guy on that Georgia team. Very good combo of size, speed and power. Would fit as PRS early and grow into a full time DE in couple of years.

Skinny
04-26-2013, 08:51 AM
love it. . . dude has a ton of ability, and i think we have the defensive coaching staff to get the most out of him. . . we've had a crying need for an infusion of young talent at the spot for a decade-- particularly someone who can collapse the pocket on passing downs. . . he'll most likely be used primarily as a sub-package rusher, at least to start, and that should keep him fresh. . . i just hope the young fella's ready to get after it. . .

Spurrier hired UNCs DL coach Deke Adams earlier this year, Sly's position coach last year, after ours bolted to Florida, but Deke raved about Williams work ethic, dedication to the weight room and film study, and really taking to coaching using him as an example about guys working hard and acheiving their goals and reaching their potential. I think our staff saw a lot of that themselves in Sly and were thrilled when he slide in our lap. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do under Del Rio's tutalege now.

TXBRONC
04-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Found this at ESPN about Sly Williams:

The Broncos continued to get bigger in the middle of the defense Thursday night when they took advantage of an unexpected fall by North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams.

“That is a steal in the first round,” ESPN analyst Todd McShay said on the air of Denver getting Williams with the 28th overall pick in the draft.

The Williams choice was typical of the John Elway regime. The Broncos took the best defensive player on the board. Elway’s mantra is to let the board come to him, and that’s what happened when Williams dropped to Denver.

Williams, who was expected to be picked in the 18-25 range, is disruptive and athletic. He has a chance to boost Denver’s rotation immediately. Denver also signed Terrance Knighton in free agency; he and Kevin Vickerson will help, too. Denver’s run defense should rapidly improve with the additions of Knighton and Williams.

I think it was one of Denver's beat who said stylistically Elway is a lot like Ozzie Newsome.

Elway thinks like a quarterback when he drafts. The best quarterbacks let game come to them well apparently it works the same for GMs too.

Chef Zambini
04-26-2013, 09:11 AM
whats not to like?
It sounds like he can benefit from all the instruction he will receive. only caveat is a fat wallet disease.
I hope his contract is loaded with incentives.

Gamechanger
04-26-2013, 09:18 AM
beause of his versatility, I really wanted Indy to take him when they had the chance
Williams is going to be a stud.

Chef Zambini
04-26-2013, 09:23 AM
"...was slowed by a left ankle injury that he battle through as a senior."

this may well explain most of the CONS on this kid.
Only concern is because our draft team was surprized at his availability, how much research / due dilligence went before the pick?
his pro-bowl performance would indicate he is beyond the ankle injury.

BroncoJoe
04-26-2013, 09:46 AM
His thighs are the same size as my waist.

vandammage13
04-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Not going to say I was completely dissappointed in the pick, but I thought we had more pressing needs at CB, LB and S...Happy we didn't take Te'o though.

MasterShake
04-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Pretty encouraging:

http://youtu.be/w9GZz4l2Sxs

I don't know what half of that meant but I am PUMPED now! Thanks Tned!

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2013, 09:59 AM
from article:

“We had an opportunity to go back,” Elway said. “Once Sylvester was there we said, ‘No this is the guy we want. We’re going to stay here.’ We did have an option to go back, but we didn’t want to. We were thrilled that Sylvester was there and we didn’t want to move.”

Williams visited the team and its facilities at Dove Valley in mid-April and said he “felt right at home.” He’ll begin settling in shortly. The Broncos’ rookie mini-camp is on May 10.

“When they called on me it was a blessing,” the draftee recalled. “I’m going to be a Bronco, and I can’t wait to give it everything I’ve got.”

full article, plus video "Elway, Fox Congratulate Williams" - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Williams-Blessed-to-Be-a-Bronco/9e24f520-bde8-44bb-8151-920bf9b18473

BroncoJoe
04-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I’m going to be a Bronco, and I can’t wait to give it everything I’ve got.

Sweet.

Nomad
04-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the BRONCOS, Sly W!:salute:

LTC Pain
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
whats not to like?
It sounds like he can benefit from all the instruction he will receive. only caveat is a fat wallet disease.

What the hell does that actually mean??? Is that some code way of saying Sly is coachable??? It's like you typed something and nothing is there???

Chef Zambini
04-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Not going to say I was completely dissappointed in the pick, but I thought we had more pressing needs at CB, LB and S...Happy we didn't take Te'o though.hopefully we will address these positions with our next few picks!
I hope our broncos have targeted these positions for this draft and have players in mind for each round.

Ravage!!!
04-26-2013, 10:35 AM
whats not to like?

The rookie cap fixes the problem about salary concerns.

OrangeHoof
04-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Great need/bpa pick. Needs to improve his technique. He'll soon be a disruptive force in the middle. Can't have any better situation than to have Del Rio/Fox coaching him. As for Vickerson/Knighton, some depth here is incredibly useful. Remember Bannan last year? That's why we got this guy.

NightTrainLayne
04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
What I love about the pick is that for the most part, this guy's weaknesses can be corrected with good coaching and hard work. Most of the "cons" lists on him are talking about technique. That can be fixed.

We have a good defensive coaching staff (I think), and this guy seems on the surface to have a good work ethic.

Great pick.

BeefStew25
04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Love the pick. Usually you want your DL darker skinned, and we achieved that last night.

broncofaninfla
04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
The closer we got to the pick the more i wanted Williams. Kinda surpised he ws still there at 28 and glad we finally drafted a possible stud DT early. I'm excited to see who's next!

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
A look at what media analysts are saying about the Broncos' first-round draft choice.

from article:

NFL.com's Matt Smith said that there was no player that he liked more in the entire draft than Williams.

Below is a summary of what some national press had to say about the selection of Williams after the conclusion of Round One:

SportsIllustrated.com

The rather tumultuous first half of Round 1 seems to have worked to the benefit of the teams picking later. Like several of the teams immediately above them, the Denver Broncos mixed need and value to decide on defensive tackle Sylvester Williams at pick No. 28.

Williams was right in the mix with the top DTs in this draft, perhaps a step below Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson, but certainly atop the second tier. Defensive tackle was a spot Denver had to get deeper at, too, so Williams works.

full article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Evaluating-the-Pick-Sylvester-Williams/2d63a7d8-1eda-4d58-9921-547838adc246

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi

Big Sly in the house. Check out that goat. http://via.me/-bn5o2eq

topscribe
04-26-2013, 05:38 PM
That's what I thought. Many are saying Sly is 6'2". He is as tall or taller than Elway, who is 6'3".

DenBronx
09-29-2013, 09:18 PM
So far, this guy has been a ghost. He has 1 total tackle.

Broncolingus
09-29-2013, 09:22 PM

...well, and an assist too. :D

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8432/sylvester-williams

Simple Jaded
09-29-2013, 09:24 PM

Trevor Pryce says hi.

The trio of Vickerson, Knighton and Unrein have made his lack of production a minor issue, imo.

chazoe60
09-29-2013, 09:31 PM
DT is traditionally a very hard position to trasition from college to pros. Give him time, especially since Big Vick, Knighton, Wolfe (when he's moved inside) and Unrein are all playing so well. Sly will be fine.

BTW I think Mitch Unrein is one of the more surprising Broncos in a while. His rookie year I thought he would never be much more than a roster spot filler, then his second year I honestly thought he was one of the most improved players on the entire team, and this year that improvement is continuing. He is turning into an extremely solid pro DT.

DenBronx
09-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Trevor Pryce says hi.

The trio of Vickerson, Knighton and Unrein have made his lack of production a minor issue, imo.

Tell Trevor hello back for me! :)

Yeah dont think Sly is cracking that lineup anytime soon. That is probably why, those guys are the reason we are #1 at stopping the run in the NFL. So why mess it up, even for a 1st rounder?

sneakers
09-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Sports Science is the gayest thing on tv

Poet
09-29-2013, 11:00 PM

Go away!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Malik Jackson has played well too.

Dzone
09-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Trevor Pryce didnt play much his first year. Elway says Sly is better than Trevor...whooaaa! Damn lets hope so

DenBronx
09-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Trevor Pryce didnt play much his first year. Elway says Sly is better than Trevor...whooaaa! Damn lets hope so

That's a really big statement. But I do trust in Elway.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 06:56 AM

One of the most difficult positions in football to transition from the college game to the pro game.

LTC Pain
09-30-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm not worried about Sly. And the fact that he gets singled out while the defense is playing so well seem kinda petty to me.

TXBRONC
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Oboes are the gayest instrument of all time. :D

LTC Pain
09-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Here's what Fox said about Sly being inactive for he Eagles game:

Williams a no-go: For the first time this season, Broncos’ first-round pick Sylvester Williams was a game-day inactive on Sunday. Williams had played just eight snaps on defense against the Raiders on Monday night. But Fox said the decision was "no offense,'' that the team wanted more defensive backs in the lineup against the Eagles' three-wide look and kept 10 active for the game.