PDA

View Full Version : Schefter reporting Orton has partially torn or strained tendon, but should be ready for Cincy

Tned-Mobile
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Edit:

Sorry, I was at a stoplight in the car.

It isn't as bad as it sounds, hopefully. Per Shefter:

@Adam_Schefter Sounds like QB Kyle Orton either strained or partially tore a tendon in his right index finger. Either way, he should be ready for Bengals.

Day1BroncoFan
08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Does this suck or what!

Hello Brandstater.

EDIT:

Since Tned edited the title and all I figured I'd just say that it doesn't suck as bad as I thought from the original post.

TIA

OAO

BigDaddyBronco
08-31-2009, 06:06 PM
The offense has been snakebit this offseason.

Wow.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I felt very strongly it had to ahve been more than a cut. Orton didn't treat it like a simple cut, he KNEW it was torn up and probably thought it was broken. You just don't have that kind of reaction to a simple cut on your finger, as if he thought his season was over (when sitting on the bench as they were looking at it, he was pretty upset). Not to mention the size of the bandage on his "upper extremity."

Tned
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I was at a stoplight in the car.

It isn't as bad as it sounds, hopefully. Per Shefter:

@Adam_Schefter Sounds like QB Kyle Orton either strained or partially tore a tendon in his right index finger. Either way, he should be ready for Bengals.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
ahh.. cool.

Tned
08-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Sorry, I had hoped the light would last longer, but I ran out of time.

dogfish
08-31-2009, 06:23 PM

T, next time please make sure you time the light properly so as to be able to provide us with complete and accurate information.

TIA

Tned
08-31-2009, 06:26 PM
T, next time please make sure you time the light properly so as to be able to provide us with complete and accurate information.

TIA

In hindsight, I should have pulled into Walgreens parking lot and posted the full update. :lol: I think I need to edit the thread title, too. :D

BroncoJoe
08-31-2009, 06:26 PM

TIA

Or pull over. Texting while driving? SMH.

topscribe
08-31-2009, 06:29 PM
In hindsight, I should have pulled into Walgreens parking lot and posted the full update. :lol: I think I need to edit the thread title, too. :D

At least you didn't hit anyone in the process . . . :ahhhhh:

-----

D1g1tal j1m
08-31-2009, 06:41 PM
That's illegal here in CA. Pull over and text, it's safer that way. No Broncos info is that important that you take your eyes off the road (even at a red light).

Denver Native (Carol)
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM
At least you didn't hit anyone in the process . . . :ahhhhh:

-----

At least not that we know of :lol:

topscribe
08-31-2009, 06:47 PM
At least not that we know of :lol:

Hmmm . . . what about that, Tned? :listen:

-----

Tned
08-31-2009, 06:57 PM
That's illegal here in CA. Pull over and text, it's safer that way. No Broncos info is that important that you take your eyes off the road (even at a red light).

Fortunately, most of the country doesn't have the same rules as the independent republic of California. lol

I know the lights very well, so I knew I had time to send a quick post. I wouldn't do it while moving, but while stopped there is no risk to myself or others.

broken12
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
wow, if it did cut the flexor tendon on his index finger could be a while before he comes back....i cut my thumb flexor just about a year ago and took me 6.5 months to get back to my job. 9-10 weeks till full strengh barring no setbacks. and finger is numb. wow dont wish this on anyone....does anyone think he would be the starter next year anyway maybe let brandstarter (spelling) learn...i would rather watch him and not be as angry, cause he young and will have mistakes.

Superchop 7
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
The finger was straight when he showed the cut, knew it wasn't broken.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
broke my finger.. it was still straight until x-rays showed it was broken..same with my toe. But either way...he knew something was hurt more than just a cut. At least it sure looked thta way from how he was acting on the sideline.

broken12
08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
yep, my tendon ended up complete recunstruted due to tearing it off bone after 8 weeks. went and got mri, those were negetive but had no flex in the thumb so went under and they found the tendon clear up my wrist... and if he was in splint might only be partially torn or more but that will imobalize the finger and let the tendon grow and repair itself but if it was completely tore will need surgery..

TXBRONC
08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
I wonder how this will effect his passing. :ponder:

NameUsedBefore
08-31-2009, 10:20 PM
http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/art/slides/broncos/2003/101903vikings/5.jpg

broncogirl7
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/art/slides/broncos/2003/101903vikings/5.jpg

SHIT! :eek:

shank
08-31-2009, 10:27 PM
poor buerelein (total shot in the dark spelling).

brian baldinger's pinky looks like that all the damned time.

Superchop 7
08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Hopefully it will give him some time to read the book "Check-downs"

Superchop 7
08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
I remember when Plummer thought he broke his middle finger, it was straight too.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 11:06 PM
I wonder how this will effect his passing. :ponder:

I don't think we'll notice any accuracy differences :cool:

topscribe
08-31-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't think we'll notice any accuracy differences :cool:

I hope not . . .

Week 2 69%

Week 3 75%

It would be nice to think it won't make much difference in accuracy . . . :coffee:

-----

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 11:13 PM
I hope not . . .

Week 2 69%

Week 3 75%

It would be nice to think it won't make much difference in accuracy . . . :coffee:

-----

damn straight. If he misses those 3 yrd passes, then we would be REALLY screwed!

NameUsedBefore
08-31-2009, 11:14 PM
It's a good thing he has a high completion percentage. I could spill a bowl of spaghetti onto a football and it'd go farther than Orton's YPA.

topscribe
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
I guess somebody better consult with McDaniels about play selection.

All those first downs going down the field are getting them nowhere . . .

Guess we should give McD the boot and put somebody from this board in there.

You know, somebody who really knows football . . .

-----

NameUsedBefore
08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
I too am a fan of throwing screens and short passes on third and long.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 11:20 PM
well. how many scores have we had this pre-season?

topscribe
08-31-2009, 11:22 PM
I too am a fan of throwing screens and short passes on third and long.

Well, if I had McDaniels' phone number, I would give it to you.

I would really like for him to hear from somebody who really knows football . . .

-----

NameUsedBefore
08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah I might have a word or two for McDaniels.

Tempus Fugit
08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Brilliant points. If Orton would just stop committing holding penalties, the offense would be fine. 10 penalties, and every one of them was committed by Orton, who was 12 for 16 and averaged 8 yards a completion, by the way.

rcsodak
08-31-2009, 11:31 PM

"that's what she said"

:couch:

topscribe
08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Brilliant points. If Orton would just stop committing holding penalties, the offense would be fine. 10 penalties, and every one of them was committed by Cutler, who was 12 for 16 and averaged 8 yards a completion, by the way.

From the stats you provided, I think you meant Orton, didn't you?

-----

Tempus Fugit
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
From the stats you provided, I think you meant Orton, didn't you?

-----

Absolutely, and thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed it.

NameUsedBefore
08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
Eight yards a completion. Hot damn.

topscribe
08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Absolutely, and thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed it.

You know, I like Orton's ability to check down instead of forcing passes. He
showed that yesterday.

-----

Tempus Fugit
09-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Eight yards a completion. Hot damn.

Ummm.... Cutler had 9.6 yards per completion. It's not as if he was doubling up on Orton or anything.

Given that multiple drives were stopped by penalties on the offensive line as well as the running game getting stuffed on a 3rd and one because the vaunted o-line had a poor game, perhaps you could just acknowledge such things rather than bagging on the QB every chance you get.

Tempus Fugit
09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
You know, I like Orton's ability to check down instead of forcing passes. He
showed that yesterday.

-----

Yeah, he looked alright doing that, and this offense is going to be limited until Marshall pulls his head out of his backside and gets out on the field.

I don't think Orton is any great shakes, but the vitriol towards everything he and McDaniels do (and often even about things they have nothing to do with) is just ridiculous.

Tned
09-01-2009, 12:51 AM
An update from Denver Post:

NFL sources said that while Kyle Orton’s injured finger was not fractured, the Broncos quarterback suffered an open dislocation (meaning it penetrated the skin) of the right knuckle.
That would explain the blood dripping from Orton’s finger and the excruciating pain the quarterback endured as the dislocation was popped back into place by trainer Steve “Greek’’ Antonopulos.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/31/orton-recovering-from-painful-dislocation/

NightTrainLayne
09-01-2009, 01:03 AM

You can read the rest of the article here: http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/08/31/orton-recovering-from-painful-dislocation/

Yep. . ..that would explain the blood alright. . ..Geez.

BroncoBJ
09-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Does it make me a bad fan if I kind of hope that he isn't ready to go? :lol: ... Its no diss on Orton, But I just don't like what I see so far. I want a pass longer then 5 yards. And I saw that from Brandstater. :elefant: .. Got me excited. This reminds me of the time when Steve Beuerlein hurt his finger and I was happy because I got to see Danny Kannel. :lol:

I don't know who gives us the best chance to win though. I'd rather have a vet in over a rookie, but I'm just not impressed with him.

oh well. Go Broncos. :salute:

claymore
09-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Brilliant points. If Orton would just stop committing holding penalties, the offense would be fine. 10 penalties, and every one of them was committed by Orton, who was 12 for 16 and averaged 8 yards a completion, by the way.
Sounds like a coaching problem.

Ummm.... Cutler had 9.6 yards per completion. It's not as if he was doubling up on Orton or anything.

Given that multiple drives were stopped by penalties on the offensive line as well as the running game getting stuffed on a 3rd and one because the vaunted o-line had a poor game, perhaps you could just acknowledge such things rather than bagging on the QB every chance you get.
More excuses for your boy.

Yeah, he looked alright doing that, and this offense is going to be limited until Marshall pulls his head out of his backside and gets out on the field.

I don't think Orton is any great shakes, but the vitriol towards everything he and McDaniels do (and often even about things they have nothing to do with) is just ridiculous.

Gosh dang that had to hurt.

Tned
09-01-2009, 07:46 AM

I don't know, the last time I dislocated my finger and the bone poked through the skin...

Oh yea, I've never had that happen. Never mind. :lol:

Yea, ouch. Considering that, he looked pretty calm and unbothered coming off the field and showing his mangled finger.

claymore
09-01-2009, 08:11 AM
I don't know, the last time I dislocated my finger and the bone poked through the skin...

Oh yea, I've never had that happen. Never mind. :lol:

Yea, ouch. Considering that, he looked pretty calm and unbothered coming off the field and showing his mangled finger.

If would have cried like a 2 year old. Man points to Cutler,.

Grover
09-01-2009, 09:08 AM
If would have cried like a 2 year old. Man points to Cutler,.

Naw, the man points go to Orton. Cutler's still earning diaper points.

NameUsedBefore
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
I think Cutler got his man points being chased around at Vanderbilt all day.

claymore
09-01-2009, 10:05 AM
If would have cried like a 2 year old. Man points to Cutler ,.

I mean Orton. :D

claymore
09-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Naw, the man points go to Orton. Cutler's still earning diaper points.

Fail.

topscribe
09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I mean Orton. :D

Both QBs are tough as nails. Orton played the last eight games last year with a
high ankle sprain. Cutler was hammered mercilessly at Vanderbilt and kept
coming back.

-----

claymore
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Both QBs are tough as nails. Orton played the last eight games last year with a
high ankle sprain. Cutler was hammered mercilessly at Vanderbilt and kept
coming back.

-----

Yeah, I just couldnt imagine a dislocation being so bad that it tears thru the skin. SOB!

Tned-Mobile
09-01-2009, 10:18 AM
The PFT and the Denver Post seem skeptical of him being ready by week 1, due to the fact that the bone was dislocated and pierced the skin from the inside, which they said is equivalent of slicing the finger to the bone, which will require extensive stitching.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2009, 10:21 AM
The PFT and the Denver Post seem skeptical of him being ready by week 1, due to the fact that the bone was dislocated and pierced the skin from the inside, which they said is equivalent of slicing the finger to the bone, which will require extensive stitching.

Maybe by the season opener, if Orton can not play, Simms could be ready.

NameUsedBefore
09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Reminded me of the time I went to a church (gasp) meeting of sorts... I passed by some skateboarders on the way in. Five minutes later they were carrying one of their comrades who was converting to satanism or something because half his ankle bone was chilling outside its normal cavity.

claymore
09-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Reminded me of the time I went to a church (gasp) meeting of sorts... I passed by some skateboarders on the way in. Five minutes later they were carrying one of their comrades who was converting to satanism or something because half his ankle bone was chilling outside its normal cavity.

So, moral of the story kids, skateboarding is dangerous, and satanisim is bad.

NameUsedBefore
09-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Moral of the story is don't go to church.

Northman
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM

If not, im ready.

dunk7
09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
The Denver Post reports Denver Broncos QB Kyle Orton (finger) is in danger of missing the team's Week 1 game. According to two league sources, Orton's finger was not fractured during the team's last preseason game, but Orton did suffer an open dislocation of the right knuckle, which would explain the blood dripping from his finger and the excruciating pain he endured as the dislocated finger was popped back into place.

THE HUDDLE'S TAKE: Chris Simms is nursing a high ankle sprain and could possibly play Week 1, but if he can't, the starting role would go to current No. 3 QB Tom Brandstater. The larger question is how much more time could Orton miss? A dislocated knuckle is bad enough, but it's on his throwing hand. Don't be surprised if Orton misses some substantial time, which could, of course, throw the entire Bronco offense in disarray.

Watchthemiddle
09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I think Cutler got his man points being chased around at Vanderbilt all day.

Ya and 11 total wins in 4 years to show for it. TOtal man points..:rolleyes:

:coffee:

NightTrainLayne
09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
The Denver Post reports Denver Broncos QB Kyle Orton (finger) is in danger of missing the team's Week 1 game. According to two league sources, Orton's finger was not fractured during the team's last preseason game, but Orton did suffer an open dislocation of the right knuckle, which would explain the blood dripping from his finger and the excruciating pain he endured as the dislocated finger was popped back into place.

THE HUDDLE'S TAKE: Chris Simms is nursing a high ankle sprain and could possibly play Week 1, but if he can't, the starting role would go to current No. 3 QB Tom Brandstater. The larger question is how much more time could Orton miss? A dislocated knuckle is bad enough, but it's on his throwing hand. Don't be surprised if Orton misses some substantial time, which could, of course, throw the entire Bronco offense in disarray.

What's the over/under on length of time before we get some good news?

yardog
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
What's the over/under on length of time before we get some good news?

How long is McDaniel's contract?

NightTrainLayne
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
How long is McDaniel's contract?

:lol:

Well, if that's the line, I will bet the house on the under. We'll have some good news before his contract is up.

OrangeHoof
09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Hey, Orton will only be affected with his grip which means his accuracy will suffer which means McD will start a QB with a noodle arm and poor accuracy. It's not like the end of the world.

And, FWIW, never text and drive people. You'll get a Darwin Award eventually if you do that.

Tempus Fugit
09-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Sounds like a coaching problem.

Ok, rather than read your constant and nonsensical attacks on a coach that has yet to lead his team in a single regular season game, it's time for you to go on ignore.

claymore
09-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok, rather than read your constant and nonsensical attacks on a coach that has yet to lead his team in a single regular season game, it's time for you to go on ignore.

Thank you. Is it or is it not a common understanding that offensive penalties are regarded as coaching issues? How can that be argued? How is that an attack?

topscribe
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Thank you. Is it or is it not a common understanding that offensive penalties are regarded as coaching issues? How can that be argued? How is that an attack?

If a player gets caught holding, that is the player who did that, not the coach.
If a player gets a false start, that is the player who did that, not the coach.

The two players involved were not spring chickens, but a Pro Bowl center and
the regarded best young tackle in the league. They know all about holding and
snap counts. It is not Dennison's fault, and it certainly is not McDaniels' fault
since he is the Head Coach, not the coach of the O-line.

-----

Tempus Fugit
09-01-2009, 03:32 PM
If a player gets caught holding, that is the player who did that, not the coach.
If a player gets a false start, that is the player who did that, not the coach.

The two players involved were not spring chickens, but a Pro Bowl center and
the regarded best young tackle in the league. They know all about holding and
snap counts. It is not Dennison's fault, and it certainly is not McDaniels' fault
since he is the Head Coach, not the coach of the O-line.

-----

Exactly. Blaming Clady's holding call in a preseason game on coaching is just about as petty as it gets.

NameUsedBefore
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Hardly. Team discipline goes from top on down. Of course it isn't all on the coach, but he definitely plays a part. That or it's just a coincidence that bad coaches have penalty stricken teams. The most notable thing about the penalties, of course, is that we couldn't get out of them.

It's basically been argued that because Orton and the offense didn't have a clean slate they get a pass. It's football. You're never gonna get a clean slate. Someone is gonna hold and when someone doesn't hold someone is gonna get sacked. If Orton and the offense can't handle every day adversity that football presents we are very much up a creek.

topscribe
09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Hardly. Team discipline goes from top on down. Of course it isn't all on the coach, but he definitely plays a part. That or it's just a coincidence that bad coaches have penalty stricken teams. The most notable thing about the penalties, of course, is that we couldn't get out of them.

It's basically been argued that because Orton and the offense didn't have a clean slate they get a pass. It's football. You're never gonna get a clean slate. Someone is gonna hold and when someone doesn't hold someone is gonna get sacked. If Orton and the offense can't handle every day adversity that football presents we are very much up a creek.

I like the way you say "Orton and . . .," "Orton and . . ." We get the message.

Anyway, four holding penalties and a false start in one half of play is not what
one would call "every day adversity." It is more appropriately referred to as
"how to lose a game" . . .

-----

NameUsedBefore
09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Orton is the QB. QB's run the offense. I don't see what's wrong with the grammar of my post.

As for adversity... Yeah. That's rough, but they didn't get past it even once. As Paige said, this shit is not gonna fly during the regular season and you all are absolutely kidding yourselves if you think it will.

Gimpygod
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
First, I don't understand how jrwiz and a lot of other guys I used to argue with about pessimism justify their McDaniels love. Everything from male pattern baldness to menopause to gametime weather was Shanahan's fault; he was the coach and everything trailed right back up to him. McDaniels, however, isn't even responsible for the team lacking the discipline required to not commit penalties. Responsibility that he himself actually shouldered in interviews after the game. Why is that?

More on topic for this thread, I told you so about McDaniels lying in regard to the severity of the injury. Initially it was nothing serious and now Kyle will be ready for week one. The bone actually went through the skin... he's lying again.

D1g1tal j1m
09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Can't Orton wear a glove, ala Warner last year with the Cards?

claymore
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Exactly. Blaming Clady's holding call in a preseason game on coaching is just about as petty as it gets.

I never mentioned one offensive penalty. I said that allot of Offensive penalties was a "coaching problem" I never mentioned a specific player.

Putting words in my mouth to help your argument is pretty petty.

Overtime
09-01-2009, 06:49 PM
we couldn't get lucky enough to have Orton out for the season, because at least then he'd go undefeated.

:pound:

Tned
09-01-2009, 06:51 PM

Hopefully.