PDA

View Full Version : Preview of must watch for Broncos fans: ESPN 30 for 30 Elway to Marino - Chronicalling Elways path to Broncos

Tned
04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
A must watch show for Broncos fans.

Tomorrow, ESPN will air a new installment of their 30 for 30 series -- Elway to Marino.

Elway to Marino is a detailed look at both the 1983 draft, which still is the only draft where six quarterbacks were selected in the first round, but more importantly to Broncos fans, it is a detailed look at Elway's path from Stanford to the Denver Broncos.

Marvin Demoff, the agent for Both Elway and Marino, discusses in great detail (actually from a diary he kept) every step of Elway's journey from being drafted by the Yankees and dominating on the Yankees single A team prior to the draft, all the way to his trade from the Baltimore Colts to the Broncos.

Demoff gives details (many never heard before) of each of the teams that picked after Baltimore in the 1983 draft that were rumored to or attempted to trade for Elway. Not only did Al Davis consider trading for Elway, but San Francisco also contemplated trading for Elway, if they could trade Joe Montana to clear the way.

Rather than give anymore of the details away, I will just reiterate that this is a must watch for every Broncos fans.

Tune in tomorrow, April 23 at 6:00 PM MDT or set your DVR to record this episode of 30 for 30.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/

Once you watch it, this will be a good thread to discuss it.

Tned
04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Don't forget to tune in or set your DVR for 30 for 30 tonight. It's a great episode.

Dzone
04-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Right on. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about this. This show and then the Nuggets game! Ya!

ForgettingBrandonMarshall
04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty pumped for this, and can't wait to watch the Nuggets after.

The problem is I'm east coast so it's going to be a long night.

Northman
04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Yea, need to record this or just straight up watch it.

Tned
04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Yea, need to record this or just straight up watch it.

It definitely included details that I had never heard before. Definitely worth watching, IMO.

Tned
04-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Last reminder.

MOtorboat
04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
The director was on Cowherd this morning. This is going to be fantastic.

CoachChaz
04-23-2013, 04:53 PM
It'll be on YouTube before you know it.

sneakers
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM
>Elwayb owl

1983 chris berman confirmed for first /sp/artan

sneakers
04-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Get RAMbunctious

Hhahhahahahhahahahhahahhaaaaaa

sneakers
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1ReyTqd.png

Dapper Dan
04-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Elway "isn't the kind of guy you win championships with".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsJqLDCfXvc

MOtorboat
04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Bradshaw is a piece of shit.

And for the record, Denver won that game 14-10.

Devilspawn
04-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Probably one of the best NFL documentaries I've ever seen. I can sum it up in three words: Screw Pete Rozelle. :lol:

Skinny
04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Excellent show. There was a butt load of successful careers in that draft, not just QBs.

Davii
04-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Excellent show. There was a butt load of successful careers in that draft, not just QBs.

I'm watching it now, I always knew how loaded the 83 draft was but it's really cool to see all the behind the scenes maneuvers.

Skinny
04-23-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm watching it now, I always knew how loaded the 83 draft was but it's really cool to see all the behind the scenes maneuvers.And the team helmet telephones. Very cool. They need to bring those back.

Davii
04-23-2013, 09:49 PM
And the team helmet telephones. Very cool. They need to bring those back.

And all these old guys smoking inside at the draft. Saw Madden light up. My how times have changed, thankfully.

Tned
04-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Yea, when I watched it the other day, I knew I had to try and get the word out. I loved the way the gave all the Elway info, but then also went through each pick of the first round, but also interwove the Elway trade aspect for so many of the teams picking. Great show.

Army Bronco
04-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Damnit I missed it. I got home too late and forgot to set it to record yesterday

Tned
04-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Damnit I missed it. I got home too late and forgot to set it to record yesterday

It will be on later in the week on ESPN2 if you get that.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10 P.M. ET ESPN2
Friday, April 26, 2013 1:30 A.M. ET ESPN2
Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:30 A.M. ET ESPN2

Army Bronco
04-23-2013, 11:13 PM

It will be on later in the week on ESPN2 if you get that.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 10 P.M. ET ESPN2
Friday, April 26, 2013 1:30 A.M. ET ESPN2
Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:30 A.M. ET ESPN2 Ty.... I looked at upcoming showings and nothing came up so I was worried.

Davii
04-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Ty.... I looked at upcoming showings and nothing came up so I was worried.

Set your DVR now!

Army Bronco
04-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Ty.... I looked at upcoming showings and nothing came up so I was worried.

Set your DVR now! I gotta get my swole on first brother..

NightTrainLayne
04-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Eason, lol.

Davii
04-23-2013, 11:58 PM
I think Terry Bradshaw first became the poster child for male pattern baldness at six years old.

zbeg
04-24-2013, 02:55 AM
The alternate realities are terrifying. Elway had a realistic chance of instead playing for:

San Diego Chargers
Dallas Cowboys
San Francisco 49ers (with Joe Montana going to the Colts!)
Seattle Seahawks
NY Yankees

and most chilling

The Los Angeles Raiders

Excuse me while I break out in hives.

I always knew we were extraordinarily lucky to have gotten Elway, but I didn't realize just how lucky until watching the show.

Fantastic job, really cool how they used the Elway/Marino picks to provide context for the entire draft. Honestly, I think Marino ended up in an unlucky spot but growing up watching them, I always felt Elway and Marino were 1 and 1a. It's just that Elway had a team around him at the very end to win a championship while Marino's Dolphins teams in the 80s were even worse than Elway's teams during that time. When Bernie Parmelee is your feature back, you're not going anywhere no matter how good your quarterback is.

As such, Marino's always been one of my favorite quarterbacks as well, and it was neat seeing the two tied together that way, since a lot of people tend to pooh-pooh Marino's career in retrospect because he didn't win the championships. Which is ridiculous since football is a team game, and those Dolphins teams were never all that good.

Northman
04-24-2013, 04:28 AM
Very good documentary, loved every bit of it. Some very interesting facts i did not know about,

1) I think Rozelle did screw the Raiders but lets face it, Davis brought a lot of that shit on himself and it just continued on until his death. Davis liked to pick fights with anyone and everyone. **** the Raiders.

2) Its a scary thought that the Chargers were looking at not only acquiring John but also Dan in that draft. That would of been insane.

3) Colts owner Irsey (Sp?) is a complete douche and dumbass.

Timmy!
04-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Pretty good....and Bradshaw can eat a bowl of dicks. Gotta love the karma of him getting hurt, for good, after he ran his punk ass mouth.

Tned
04-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Very good documentary, loved every bit of it. Some very interesting facts i did not know about,

1) I think Rozelle did screw the Raiders but lets face it, Davis brought a lot of that shit on himself and it just continued on until his death. Davis liked to pick fights with anyone and everyone. **** the Raiders.

2) Its a scary thought that the Chargers were looking at not only acquiring John but also Dan in that draft. That would of been insane.

3) Colts owner Irsey (Sp?) is a complete douche and dumbass.

I was a little distracted when I watched it, and was taking some notes to post a little preview. I don't remember why the league veto'd the Raiders trade. Did they explain, or just that the league nixed it?

MOtorboat
04-24-2013, 07:04 AM
I was a little distracted when I watched it, and was taking some notes to post a little preview. I don't remember why the league veto'd the Raiders trade. Did they explain, or just that the league nixed it?

The official story is that the Raiders needed a third team to get enough picks to pull the trade off and that third team, the Bears, got cold feet.

But, unofficially, the Bears got a phone call from the league office, not the other way around as it should have been. That's why Al thought he got screwed.

Northman
04-24-2013, 08:26 AM

From what i remember there was no clear indication as too why which is why some people believe it was personal between Rozelle and Davis.

NightTrainLayne
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM

The league didn't actually veto the trade. At least not officially. The Bears backed out of the deal after reportedly getting a call from the league office, which would be strange.

Tned
04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
The league didn't actually veto the trade. At least not officially. The Bears backed out of the deal after reportedly getting a call from the league office, which would be strange.

K, thanks. At the point in the show when they were talking about that, I was doing something else, and was half listening.

MOtorboat
04-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Maybe, I misunderstood, but I thought that was Al's version of events. (maybe that's just because I hate him ;))

Northman
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Maybe, I misunderstood, but I thought that was Al's version of events. (maybe that's just because I hate him ;))

Nah, even the guy who represented both John and Dan said it was very strange that the league would do something like that.

MOtorboat
04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Nah, even the guy who represented both John and Dan said it was very strange that the league would do something like that.

I got the impression that it was speculation, though.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
It was speculation that the league interfered, but it wasn't speculation that the NFL called the Bears. Ron Wolf, and John's agent BOTH said that they felt the NFL cut the deal and Al Davis wasn't being "crazy" in believing that. It made me laugh that the NFL did get in the way, and made me sigh of relief at the same time!

The one thing I was surprised they didn't touch on more, was the hard feelings between Jack Elway and Kush. All they said in this was that Jack felt John "wouldn't get along with Kush's coaching style." There was MUCH more to that relationship than just that. Elway didn't avoid the Colts purely because of a tough coach that yelled at his players.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I was MAJORLY shocked to learn that Walsh was willing to trade Joe Montana, after just winning the Super Bowl with him, to get John. Wow... just...wow!

AND...had the Colts known that the Chiefs were NOT going to take Marino at #7, they would have made the trade with the Bears quicker. The only reason that trade had problems at all was because the Bears pulled off their 1st round 1 pick, which I believe was #6?

Northman
04-24-2013, 10:32 AM
I got the impression that it was speculation, though.

Well, its only speculation that "the league actually told them too deny the trade". But it was fact that the league did call the Bears which was out of the ordinary. There is certainly no proof that Rozelle or anyone told the bears to back out but because of the ongoing trial at the time and because those types of calls dont normally happen like that there were some outside of just Davis who thought it was a little more personal. Not that i feel sorry for Davis in any way but one could see that as a power play by the league.

Poet
04-24-2013, 10:34 AM
This thread is interesting, but in the interest of being a 'good' poster I shall abstain. I will say that the agent seemed like a really slick guy, but in a good way. "As a lawyer, I'm telling you that you can't accept the offer because I'm revoking it." "What!?!? No, I'm accepting that offer right now!"

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 10:37 AM
This thread is interesting, but in the interest of being a 'good' poster I shall abstain. I will say that the agent seemed like a really slick guy, but in a good way. "As a lawyer, I'm telling you that you can't accept the offer because I'm revoking it." "What!?!? No, I'm accepting that offer right now!"

Yeah.. that's negotiating tactics for sure. I would like to know more about that conversation, but it made me chuckle on how he was able to work a better deal for Marino by doing the classic "pull away." Which is "selling 101."

Poet
04-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Well the other guy was a lawyer and apparently a great negotiator. I suspect that the agent knew that both sides really wanted to close it, or had a tip that something else was going on. The GM guy was apparently screaming at him. Agent boy knew something else that he wasn't telling us. I just thought he was pretty awesome when he said "he's my guy, and they're messing with my guy." He's the kind of guy you'd want representing not only you but your family.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Well the other guy was a lawyer and apparently a great negotiator. I suspect that the agent knew that both sides really wanted to close it, or had a tip that something else was going on. The GM guy was apparently screaming at him. Agent boy knew something else that he wasn't telling us. I just thought he was pretty awesome when he said "he's my guy, and they're messing with my guy." He's the kind of guy you'd want representing not only you but your family.

Yeah.. I think he knew the USFL was going to offer a large chunk of change, and knew that the Dolphins owner knew as well.

Agreed, Marvin Demoff, is a great guy.

tubby
04-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Great show.

Who knows, Al Davis could have pulled the trade last minute because he didn’t want to trade Howie Long. Then played the victim just to be a dick. The truth probably lies somewhere in between on how that all went down.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Great show.

Who knows, Al Davis could have pulled the trade last minute because he didn’t want to trade Howie Long. Then played the victim just to be a dick. The truth probably lies somewhere in between on how that all went down.

Eh... I don't think that's the case in this situation. Had that been the case, Ron Wolfe would have known.

I just find it so interesting on just how many people were trying hard to get Elway, and the asking price that was not coming down because the GM for the Colts was forced into a position not long bfore the draft, and HE was not wanting to go down as "the guy" that traded away their QB. Then the Broncos get him for not near as much as the Cowboys offer, purely because Edgar Kaiser dealt directly with Irsay...in Las Vegas. Man, deals back then were based on friendships and handshakes.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Probably one of the best NFL documentaries I've ever seen. I can sum it up in three words: Screw Pete Rozelle. :lol:

I just became a BIGGER fan of Rozelle!

tubby
04-24-2013, 11:05 AM
2 NFL owners go to Vegas. One gets drunk and trades John Elway.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 11:05 AM
2 NFL owners go to Vegas. One gets drunk and trades John Elway.

:lol: That, or lost Elway in a game of poker!

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Hah..

I forgot the part where the GM for the Colts, Ernie Accorsi, made the comment about not trading Elway to anyone within their Division and said "Can you imagine having to play him twice a year??"

I looked at my brother, who he and the rest of my family are HUGE Chief fans, and he just looked back and said "F*** you, Ernie. Yes I can imagine having to play him twice a year...F*** you!!!" :lol: :lol: I couldn't stop laughing.

Devilspawn
04-24-2013, 12:48 PM
It was speculation that the league interfered, but it wasn't speculation that the NFL called the Bears. Ron Wolf, and John's agent BOTH said that they felt the NFL cut the deal and Al Davis wasn't being "crazy" in believing that. It made me laugh that the NFL did get in the way, and made me sigh of relief at the same time!

The one thing I was surprised they didn't touch on more, was the hard feelings between Jack Elway and Kush. All they said in this was that Jack felt John "wouldn't get along with Kush's coaching style." There was MUCH more to that relationship than just that. Elway didn't avoid the Colts purely because of a tough coach that yelled at his players.
One exec, can't remember from which team, quoted Rozelle saying to some effect "Do you really want to give him Marcus Allen AND John Elway?". I had heard that quote for years, he probably didn't say those exact words but something like that. Must've killed him that he had to hand Davis the Lombardi that year anyway. :lol: Get bent, Pete.

Ravage!!!
04-24-2013, 12:51 PM
One exec, can't remember from which team, quoted Rozelle saying to some effect "Do you really want to give him Marcus Allen AND John Elway?". I had heard that quote for years, he probably didn't say those exact words but something like that. Must've killed him that he had to hand Davis the Lombardi that year anyway. :lol: Get bent, Pete.

Eh... Rozelle is having the last laugh now. :beer:

Chef Zambini
04-25-2013, 02:16 PM
great show!
Really more about the behind the scenes of an NFL draft than just elway and morino. There is a reason why they chose to air this film this week !
we have THREE owners to thank for JFE becoming a BRONCO!

kaiser, irsay the idiot, and STIENBRENNER, who gave the broncos the leverage they needed to dictate to the colts !

TXBRONC
04-25-2013, 04:13 PM
great show!
Really more about the behind the scenes of an NFL draft than just elway and morino. There is a reason why they chose to air this film this week !
we have THREE owners to thank for JFE becoming a BRONCO!

kaiser, irsay the idiot, and STIENBRENNER, who gave the broncos the leverage they needed to dictate to the colts !

Ah no. George Steinbrenner gave Elway leverage not the Broncos.

GEM
04-25-2013, 05:44 PM
That was probably one of the best NFL documentaries I have seen. Awesome sauce!

I have a friend who is a Steelers fan and I gave him so much shit today because they didn't pick Marino. :laugh:

zbeg
04-25-2013, 10:35 PM
That was probably one of the best NFL documentaries I have seen. Awesome sauce!

I still am blown away that Bill Walsh was entertaining trading Montana to the Colts for Elway. Wow.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2013, 10:38 PM
I still am blown away that Bill Walsh was entertaining trading Montana to the Colts for Elway. Wow.

I know! can you imagine how that would have stirred up the NFL? Man. Walsh is know BECAUSE of Montana. To think that he was willing to trade him away for Elway says a LOT. Walsh is considered teh "guru".....