PDA

View Full Version : Elway Sets Stage for 2013 Draft (today 4-22-13)

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2013, 03:35 PM
John Elway talks about the team's approach to the 28th overall pick and how the last two years have positioned the Broncos to take advantage of a deep draft.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Elway-Sets-Stage-for-2013-Draft/567d16a4-82fb-4cdc-9550-d8a970880862

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
There is logic in the Broncos' trading back from the No. 28 draft pick.

First, they don't have the ammunition to trade up. They have no extra picks in the second, third or fourth rounds to package, and even those selections are late in each round.

Trading back from the first round would give the Broncos an extra pick in a later round, which they could use considering they don't have a selection in the sixth round.

John Elway said Monday at his predraft news conference that while trade options will be considered, he is expecting to stand pat.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23080962/john-elway-broncos-28-nfl-draft-2013

Ziggy
04-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Here are some things that stood out to me in the presser:

1. He has 20-23 players rated as a first rounder- same as the past couple of drafts.
2. The Broncos have their '190 pounder' change of pace back in Hillman, and their power back in McGahee..."for now." Elway added that they will see what happens in the draft. He made it fairly clear that the Broncos are looking for a big back, not a smaller one. Knowshon was not mentioned.
3. First and second rounders need to be starters, and 10 year players. There are only about 6 positions on this team that a player could come in and start at from day 1 IMO- RB, TE, C, DE, MLB, and SS.
4. Unlike last year's presser, he seemed more open to trading up, and not just down in the first.
5. Although much has been made of the Broncos bringing in 2 QB's, Elway couldn't even remember their names. He said that they will always look at QB's because of the importance of the position. A late round pick on a QB will always be a possibility with Elway.
6. When asked about the QB class in this draft he said, "I'm just glad we're not in that market. Let's put it that way."
7. When asked about immature players he said that they want to build the core of this team without having to worry about those things and division in the locker room. (paraphrasing)
8. They do a lot of mock drafts as an organization. He compares them to practice to prepare them for different possibilities on draft day.
9. This draft is very deep at both corner and safety, as well as D-line.
10. It is the Broncos plan to take the BPA.
11. He is very confident that things will get worked out with Clady.
12. He again re-iterated that they are looking for a couple of starters.

MOtorboat
04-22-2013, 05:32 PM
He said that they will always look at QB's because of the importance of the position. A late round pick on a QB will always be a possibility with Elway.

O rly?

That's not what I's been told...

Ziggy
04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
O rly?

That's not what I's been told...

Consider the source(as I'm sure you have). It was almost comical how obiously low his opinion is of this year's QB class.

slim
04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
I liked the last question/answer the best.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
from article:

Should we read into the fact that Elway didn't mention Moreno by name Monday? Time will tell if Elway tipped his hand.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162358/article/john-elway-willis-mcgahee-is-denver-broncos-big-rb

Simple Jaded
04-24-2013, 10:16 PM
The Broncos should use Zane Beadles to move into the Top5.......of every round.