View Full Version : Chicago "D" notices Orton, but that's it

TXBRONC
08-31-2009, 09:45 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13237167

Chicago "D" notices Orton, but that's it
By Adrian Dater
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/31/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

This is pro football, so there is zero time to get sentimental.

In a sport where contracts are not guaranteed — and especially in the preseason — even players wearing the same uniform are trying to take the livelihoods of one another.

So there was no rendition of "Memories" sung by the Chicago Bears' defensive players when they saw Kyle Orton on Sunday night at Invesco Field at Mile High.

As defensive tackle Tommie Harris put it, when asked what it was like to play against a former teammate who's now a Broncos starter, "A quarterback is a quarterback."

Star linebacker Brian Urlacher wasn't quite so coldly dismissive, saying of his former teammate: "It was good to see him. I know he got hurt and I know he left the field. I hope he's OK. I've played against him in practice all the time, but this was live for a change."

Orton completed 12-of-16 passes against his former team, but the Bears did a nice job limiting the damage (96 yards) and pressured him into a couple of bad throws while winning the preseason game 27-17.

The Bears have always been known for their defense, but they might not need it to carry the team as much with Jay Cutler as Orton's replacement.

"We're just fortunate to have (Cutler) wearing our own uniform," Harris said. "Jay is Mr. Consistent. He's going to give you a great game every week. He's very poised. Nothing rattles him."

Urlacher said he's as excited as he's ever been for a season to start, with Cutler on board, but wants Chicago's defense to continue to be a big story. He wants to make Cutler's life as easy as he hopes Cutler can for the defense, with more breathing room on the scoreboard.

"We're rotating a lot of guys in and out and we're getting to the football and being aggressive," Urlacher said. "The tackling's not great now, but we'll get that fixed up and when we get into our game plan for Green Bay (the season opener), it's going to be exciting."

Adrian Dater: 303-954-1360 or adater@denverpost.com

Northman
08-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Should be a good year for Jay, but his division will be much more competitive as well.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Should be a good year for Jay, but his division will be much more competitive as well.

I'm expecting him to have a struggling year, just like any new QB going o a new team. I think NEXT season is when he'll be the breakout QB. The bears are truly on one offensive weapon from being a "Super Bowl contender."

But this will be a year for adjustments and learning for him as well.

In-com-plete
08-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Orton didn't do anything to get noticed.

Except hold his hand up showing his little spot of blood.

:confused:

We need a cat smilie.

Dortoh
08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Orton didn't do anything to get noticed.

Except hold his hand up showing his little spot of blood.

:confused:

We need a cat smilie.

What was up with that anyway. The way he was showing and freaking out about his finger I would have thought it had fallen off or something :laugh:

Dortoh
08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Ok so how long would a qb be out of action with a dislocated finger?

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm expecting him to have a struggling year, just like any new QB going o a new team. I think NEXT season is when he'll be the breakout QB. The bears are truly on one offensive weapon from being a "Super Bowl contender."

But this will be a year for adjustments and learning for him as well.

Which player is that? The WR that isnt a converted CB, the interior linemen that create room for 3 rushing yards per carry, or the tackles that are going to eventually get an earful from Cutler once he's sacked 3 times a game.

Nature Boy
08-31-2009, 12:30 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13237167

Chicago "D" notices Orton, but that's it
By Adrian Dater
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/31/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

This is pro football, so there is zero time to get sentimental.

In a sport where contracts are not guaranteed — and especially in the preseason — even players wearing the same uniform are trying to take the livelihoods of one another.

So there was no rendition of "Memories" sung by the Chicago Bears' defensive players when they saw Kyle Orton on Sunday night at Invesco Field at Mile High.

As defensive tackle Tommie Harris put it, when asked what it was like to play against a former teammate who's now a Broncos starter, "A quarterback is a quarterback."

Star linebacker Brian Urlacher wasn't quite so coldly dismissive, saying of his former teammate: "It was good to see him. I know he got hurt and I know he left the field. I hope he's OK. I've played against him in practice all the time, but this was live for a change."

Orton completed 12-of-16 passes against his former team, but the Bears did a nice job limiting the damage (96 yards) and pressured him into a couple of bad throws while winning the preseason game 27-17.

The Bears have always been known for their defense, but they might not need it to carry the team as much with Jay Cutler as Orton's replacement.

"We're just fortunate to have (Cutler) wearing our own uniform," Harris said. "Jay is Mr. Consistent. He's going to give you a great game every week. He's very poised. Nothing rattles him."

Urlacher said he's as excited as he's ever been for a season to start, with Cutler on board, but wants Chicago's defense to continue to be a big story. He wants to make Cutler's life as easy as he hopes Cutler can for the defense, with more breathing room on the scoreboard.

"We're rotating a lot of guys in and out and we're getting to the football and being aggressive," Urlacher said. "The tackling's not great now, but we'll get that fixed up and when we get into our game plan for Green Bay (the season opener), it's going to be exciting."

Adrian Dater: 303-954-1360 or adater@denverpost.com

Most if not all those passes were little dinks to the outside off WR screens. I don't think he made a pass longer than 9 yards. Most of these short receptions were easily corralled by the swarming defense that was short of the 1st down. The defense was never fooled and all they had to to was play short and anticipate the little dinks and dunks for nothing. If these plays are all McDanials' has in that infamous playbook of his, the Denver Broncos are in for a long season.

Dortoh
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Most if not all those passes were little dinks to the outside off WR screens. I don't think he made a pass longer than 9 yards. Most of these short receptions were easily corralled by the swarming defense that was short of the 1st down. The defense was never fooled and all they had to to was play short and anticipate the little dinks and dunks for nothing. If these plays are all McDanials' has in that infamous playbook of his, the Denver Broncos are in for a long season.

Its not McD's playbook that is the problem its Ortons ability to throw a deep ball.

Nature Boy
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Its not McD's playbook that is the problem its Ortons ability to throw a deep ball.

Who's fault is it that we have Orton as our QB and not the amazing Jay Cutler?

And yes, 99% of McDanials' playbook consist of little dinks and dunks underneath to allow the WR to run for the extra yards. Call it he East Coast Shotgun Spread Offense if you will but it does not work unless you have Randy Moss stretching the field drawing double coverage and a QB that can actually pass a ball longer than 12 yards.

TXBRONC
08-31-2009, 02:14 PM

I wonder if anyone knows just how many times Orton has attempted to throw the ball deeper than 10 to 15 yards?

Biolink
08-31-2009, 03:10 PM
I wonder if anyone knows just how many times Orton has attempted to throw the ball deeper than 10 to 15 yards?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...520&sYear=2008
Past 30 yards
2006- 1-16
2007-1-5
2008- 1-11

I'm sure there are some stats somewhere. Orton's good out to mid range. The problem is, is that he'd rather play game manager and go for easy check downs instead of looking up field. He doesn't have confidence in his throws, so he doesn't take risks. It'll be 1st and 10 and instead of looking up field he'll throw it to the check down guy

As to the Bears's crappy run blocking yesterday, I don't think yesterday's game was the best time to establish the run. We didn't have the best field position. We were playing on our heels a lot in that game.

Dortoh
08-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Past 30 yards
2006- 1-16
2007-1-5
2008- 1-11

I'm sure there are some stats somewhere. Orton's good to out at about 8 yards. It gets shaky after that. His long ball is innacurate

As to the Bears's crappy run blocking yesterday, I don't think yesterday's game was the best time to establish the run. We didn't have the best field position. We were playing on our heels a lot in that game.

Wait is that 3 completions over 30 yards in 3 years LMAO please tell me its not :laugh:

Biolink
08-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Wait is that 3 completions over 30 yards in 3 years LMAO please tell me its not :laugh:

Yes. That's not a joke.

Dortoh
08-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Yes. That's not a joke.

Shit I hope he uses this years single 30 yard pass wisely :shocked:

Biolink
08-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Shit I hope he uses this years single 30 yard pass wisely :shocked:

lol

Here are a few more specific stats.

Orton, career attempts 913, passes for over 20 yards 60, over 40 yards 7; average yards 5.8

These are passes that were thrown and went over 20 yard and over 40 yards respectively regardless of where thrown

Dortoh
08-31-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm really not much of a stats guy but 5.8 avg sounds aweful

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 04:06 PM

well thats because.... it is

Biolink
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM

I'll admit that the Bears haven't really had good WR's to be honest, but they don't get the whole of the blame.

Have any of you guys ever looked at Orton's rookie stats? I know he was a rookie and he wasn't ready for the NFL, but yeah...

Love the guy to death. He gave his all, and is a tough guy. He just is what he is.

On a decent to good day he's basically a Brad Johnson.

G_Money
08-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Past 30 yards
2006- 1-16
2007-1-5
2008- 1-11

I'm sure there are some stats somewhere. Orton's good out to mid range. The problem is, is that he'd rather play game manager and go for easy check downs instead of looking up field. He doesn't have confidence in his throws, so he doesn't take risks. It'll be 1st and 10 and instead of looking up field he'll throw it to the check down guy

Good stats, but any QB's long throw percentage plummets. It's not the over 30 yards I'm worried about.

This is actually the part that concerns me (last year's #s):

Cutler, 11-20 yards: 82-of-156, 1347 yards, 52.6 completion percentage
Orton, 11-20 yards: 32-of-86, 615 yards, 37.2 completion percentage

Kyle's completion % was like 65% under 10 yards. Anything over 10 and it gets cut in HALF, basically. :tsk: Cutler's goes down from 70 to 52 instead of 66 to 37. Jay's better as a short range passer, and as a medium range passer...and a long range passer...

But it's the medium that Josh has got to rectify with Orton.

I would read that "over 10 yards" stat, have my corners and LB jam the crap out of the receivers at the line and crowd the LOS. I understand the spread offense is supposed to help the QB by making it harder to defend the pass, but if he can't hit anybody beyond 10 yards anyway it's gonna lessen the effectiveness of the scheme IMO. They'll KNOW he can't beat them over the top, so the tip drill and biting on short routes is gonna be ridiculously prevalent.

Royal has some of the best stop-start wheels in the league - we're gonna need him to burn some corners pretty badly to make them back up a bit and give Orton - and our running attack - room to operate.

Orton being able to throw the ball 33 feet and hit a target would be useful too.

~G

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 04:27 PM
wow... 37%..... damn. Thats sweet stuff right there.

Simple Jaded
08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Past 30 yards
2006- 1-16
2007-1-5
2008- 1-11

Yet Orton throws for the same Int% that the "Turnover machine" does, while Jason Campbell, who has far better talent and is guy that McDaniels rejected in trade along with much better draft picks, was almost too "Safety first" throwing for a .012 Int% in 08.

The Broncos had better hope McDaniels has another Matt Cassel coaching job in him, but without Bill Belichick, Ernie Adams and Dante Scarnecchia around to help, McDaniels on his own this time around.......

Dortoh
08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
37.2% wtf I thought I was worried last night.

Superchop 7
08-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Check out Plummers stats sometime, just looked at 2006, he was better with the long ball than the short ball....impressive.

Tned
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
This seems pretty consistant with what most of us have been saying about Jay :sarcasm: