PDA

View Full Version : Did the NFL change the rule on OL downfield?

LRtagger
08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
I noticed this a couple times in last night's game that got called on us....It is my understanding that the OLineman can go as far as they want downfield as long as the pass is caught behind the LOS (screen). However, last night we got flagged a couple times (one they picked up) even though the pass was behind the LOS.

Did they change the rule or do I just have an incorrect knowledge of the rule?

NightTrainLayne
08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I wondered the same thing LR. Don't have an answer.

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Argued about it last night with a friend. We decided neither one of us had a clue so if anyone knows the answer, I'm dying to hear it.

G_Money
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Last I heard, illegal man downfield was gonna be a point of emphasis this year but that the rule itself hasn't changed: OL can be downfield as long as the pass is behind the LOS, but if the RB catches the ball ahead of the LOS no lineman can be in front of him.

Whether that's changed, I can't say, but at least one of those calls last night looked VERY borderline w/r/t the line of scrimmage (I didn't think the RB was beyond it).

~G

pnbronco
08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
So what is a LOS?

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
An offensive lineman can be downfield when the pass is behind the LoS.. IF he doesn't engage a block before the pass is thrown. Obviously if the RB catces the ball in front of the LoS, the no OL can be over the LoS when the ball is thrown.

The flag they picked up actually should have remained a foul...we got lucky

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 01:58 PM
So what is a LOS?

Line Of Scrimmage

LRtagger
08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
An offensive lineman can be downfield when the pass is behind the LoS.. IF he doesn't engage a block before the pass is thrown. Obviously if the RB catces the ball in front of the LoS, the no OL can be over the LoS when the ball is thrown.

The flag they picked up actually should have remained a foul...we got lucky

Why is that? That one in particular I watched and Royal was definitely behind the los when he caught the pass although there were 2 lineman downfield.

NightTrainLayne
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I also thought that in the past the rule was the line-men couldn't be beyond the LOS, but that there was basically a three-yard buffer zone. IE, they could be up to three yards past the LOS and still be considered OK.

Is that maybe what changed? Why that is a point of emphasis by the refs? Are they cutting down the room for error?