PDA

View Full Version : My team position evaluations to date

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 04:18 AM
QB- LOL at Kyle orton im sorry but the guy looks freaked everytime in the pocket the minute even a little pressure comes...check downs and dumpoffs are boring and very easy to key in on....if you dont open up down field the d plays close and that effects the run game as well. Simms is out but i already like him far more than Orton. I have no doubt orton got the nod becasue of memorizing the playbook quicker and being MCD's "Selection" and not physical talent.

I really like Tom brandstater. everyone talks about last week but he was playing behind the 3rd string OL and they Defense was literally in his face on every snap last week. this week he played a good quarter and a half against chicagos first string defense, and many times he looke poised in the pocket. he had good pocket awareness and he he has good mobility loved the rollouts, and his arm is much better than simms and orton. also his physical abilty opens the playbook up much more, with teh defense having to respect deeper stuff allowing underneath stuff to open up more...

I like this pick and i think he may be that guy down the road, i actually would love for him to start game 1 just to see what happens.

Overall i see promise in this unit for the future withg simms and brandstater, but i certainly dont see immedieate success based off what we have seen so far, at the same time to be fair it is all new stuff and injuires are playing a bit of a role....

RB- very lethargic it seems like our interior OL has not grasped the new blocking scheme and weigman and hamilton are getting blown up....that has got to change, also the short passing stuff crimps our run game as defenses dont respect anything and just stack the box....i like buckhalter, moreno and hillis, but its clear we could use some waiver wire guys....Tatum bell??? lol at least he has speed for outside stuff and big play ability...lol

TE- love the blocking and sheff seems to be much better blocking this year, would like to see these guys utilized a bit more in the passing game, but its clear we still have a top notch TE core...

OL- they have got to fix this interior run blocking problem, they are getting blown up, hamilton and weigman look very slow and old.....not worried about clady, harris or kuper(though kuper did struggle a bit so far in pre-season with run blocking) like the pass protection still overall, but this unit needs to keep working hard to get the kinks out.

DE- outside of peterson i dont see to much to get excited about....the otehr guys just seem like dpeth guys and im not sure why thomas and powell cant crack the line-up opposite peterson....mcbean and clemons are just ordinary....really like peterson in that role though...

NT- chris baker owned olin kreutz, and while raw is making a strong case for rotational playing time with fields this year. Fields is servicable, yet unspectacular, a rotation of him and baker seems solid at this point. and they bothe clog well. i really belive baker will be our NT in the future.

OLB- Elvis rocks and this change did wonders for making him a more well rounded defender, he still has some coverage issues but he is primed for a good year. i like what reid and haggan bring but both are somewhat inconsistent, i chalk it up to a new role at this point, but i really want crowder and ayers to step up....ayers still seems a bit lost and i didnt even see crowder lately...Moss is a bust and wont make the team......

ILB- Dj should have a very good year, and i like davis against the run, but our underneath LB coverage is lacking, davis is a bit of a liability in coverage and with the OLBs being new and learning covearge this could be our 3rd down achilles heal all season unless we get the kinks worked out.

Safties- Love dawkins, good to see a safety strike some fear for a change. not sure about hill yet, but mcbath looks like a rookie still. i think we are better than last year, but i still think we have a ways to go outside of dawkins.

CB's- champ looks off a bit not sure what it is, i like goodman he should be solid, he has good closing speed and range. also like alphonso smith, but he is still raw and inconsistent, i would like to see jack williams get some time....as i think the broncos are trying to justify the smith pick by leaving him out there...he still has work to do.

Special teams- our coverage units look a bit better, but our gunners need to keep there heads up and fight blocks better, our returners were better but we still got work to do. Colquitt is a beast right now.

Anyways i really like the progress our defense is making and if we can make it through the first 4 games with a even record i think we have a chance to battle and be at least very comeptetive during our tough stretch....our offense however needs work and while many want to make all the excues for kyle right now the fact is he just isnt playing good ball, looks scared and tenative and he wont win us games with 3 yd dumpoffs all game...our run game needs to get going and the playcalling needs to amp up. our offense has potential, but right now we are a injury plagued tenative unit, that strikes no fear in anyone....hopefully this changes by reg season.

overall i still like where we are headed especially with the improved defense, but our offesne has a ways to go period!!! i still stand by my 7-9 or 8-8 record, the good news is we will be competitive, the bad news is unless moreno is the next adrian peterson and orton has a epiphany on how to play Qb in a spread our offense will be mediocre all year......

fear not though broncomaniacs its not as dire as some believe, and i do belive this team will be close to playoff ready in the next year and half......especially with brandstater as our next tom brady.....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes kyle lovers i wait with eager anticipation for your excuses....:lol:

gobroncsnv
08-31-2009, 06:58 AM
gotta hand it to ya, never heard a punter called a beast before. True enough, he did have some great kicks.

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 06:59 AM
gotta hand it to ya, never heard a punter called a beast before. True enough, he did have some great kicks.

its also been a long time since i have seen a punter in denver pin opponents at there ten or less after 50 plus yd punts....dude has a leg and some killer accuracy....

Northman
08-31-2009, 07:02 AM
Good post El. I think you hit on one spot that most people are forgetting no matter which side your on and that is "Competitive". We may not win a lot of games, i dont know. But i i have a feeling we arent going to get blown out of the building either every game. I think there will be some improvements but there is still some work to be done.

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Good post El. I think you hit on one spot that most people are forgetting no matter which side your on and that is "Competitive". We may not win a lot of games, i dont know. But i i have a feeling we arent going to get blown out of the building either every game. I think there will be some improvements but there is still some work to be done.

me either i certainly dont see giving 52 points to san diego a 31-10 blowout to oakland, KC or a weak buffalo team at home a 41-7 blowout at detroit, a 44-7 blowout against new england etc.....

we have some building blocks now especially on defense, we get our ineterior OL run blocking, playcalling and Qb situations shored up we will be a lot better off.....

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 07:11 AM
I think what people fail to realize is that we couldnt completely make all the changes that needed to be made because there simply wasnt enough players available in all those areas.

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:14 AM
I think what people fail to realize is that we couldnt completely make all the changes that needed to be made because there simply wasnt enough players available in all those areas.

lol this is true, but i havent knocked that i simply stated what was going on recently and it really didnt have to do with who we got or what was out there....i hated sanchez before the draft and still do but god help me if i wouldnt feel a tad better right now with him at th helm than orton....

Tned
08-31-2009, 07:29 AM

I think what surprised a lot of people, including Bowlen based on his post draft comments, was that so many draft picks were used on offensive players.

Now, at each step of the way (draft pick), it didn't seem that there were many impact defensive players, so maybe that is why. Maybe they felt so much confidence in the defenders they had picked up in free agency. I think we will know more as the season goes on.

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 07:32 AM
I think what surprised a lot of people, including Bowlen based on his post draft comments, was that so many draft picks were used on offensive players.

Now, at each step of the way (draft pick), it didn't seem that there were many impact defensive players, so maybe that is why. Maybe they felt so much confidence in the defenders they had picked up in free agency. I think we will know more as the season goes on.

Yet when we trade up to draft an impact defensive player that dropped because he was "too short"...the fans complain.

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:34 AM
Yet when we trade up to draft an impact defensive player that dropped because he was "too short"...the fans complain.

lol that same defender looked like ass so perhaps that whole first rd talent crap we were spoonfed was abit erroneous as well.....maybe we want proof before we tout him as the next champ bailey or D-will for that matter....

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:36 AM

i dont have a problem with this defense right now overall...its our offense that is in turmoil and that shouldnt be, offense are suppose to flow quicker than defenses before pre-season ends here its the other way around our defense is stepping up but our offense is regressing to the toilet bowl....

Tned
08-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Obviously, the only reason people had problems with that move was the realization that it could be a top 5 pick that was being traded for Smith.

i dont have a problem with this defense right now overall...its our offense that is in turmoil and that shouldnt be, offense are suppose to flow quicker than defenses before pre-season ends here its the other way around our defense is stepping up but our offense is regressing to the toilet bowl....

Obviously, the big question mark at QB, combined with no Marshall are the big factors in the lack of offense. Hopefully, we have yet to see the best of Orton.

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 07:47 AM
lol that same defender looked like ass so perhaps that whole first rd talent crap we were spoonfed was abit erroneous as well.....maybe we want proof before we tout him as the next champ bailey or D-will for that matter....

Yeah...and Ayers has looked so much better. When did first round talent become equalt to immediate results? Especially for a DB

TXBRONC
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM

He hasn't shown himself to be an impact defensive player to this point so say Smith is an impact talent is premature. From what I've read it has always been about the fact a future first rounder for a second round pick and at that it was our natural pick that traded away instead of the Chicago pick.

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Yeah...and Ayers has looked so much better. When did first round talent become equalt to immediate results? Especially for a DB

ayers looks lost this isnt about him though this is you calling people out for disliking the smith pick...its pre-season so how do we know he is impact yet???? last night ceratinly didnt prove he was impact....

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Coachchaz- you and i usually agree but right now the simple facts are our QB situation is in dire straits be it injuries or poor play and brandy played the best out of all 3....thats my hope right now and the best hope i have seen from any of the qb's so to keep from avoiding the sky is falling mantra im simply deflecting to brandstater for the time being as my little glimmer of hope are once proud passing offense still has a chance.....