PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning assigns favorite movies as homework

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Peyton Manning recently turned 37. This means Manning has teammates who weren't alive when he was in high school.

It's a classic generation gap, which Manning tries to bridge through his love of cinema.

"The past few years, as I've reached my elder years as a quarterback in the NFL, I've kind of tried to get to know these rookies and try to get on the same page with them," Manning said during a call-in spot with 850 KOA in Denver. "But what I'm finding out is we don't speak the same language because we don't know the same favorite movies.

"In order to get on the same page with me, you need to watch these five movies so we can repeat lines and quotes."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162153/article/peyton-manning-assigns-favorite-movies-as-homework

SR
04-21-2013, 05:29 PM
No one does stuff like this...except Peyton Manning.

Poet
04-21-2013, 05:33 PM
He is basically a walking talking encyclopedia a of how to get shit accomplished on a macro and micro level.

Dreadnought
04-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Interesting note about humor being generational. I totally believe this. A lot of stuff I think is hilarious is lost on my Dad and on guys 25 years younger. I think most (not all) comedies made in the last 20 years are dreadfully unfunny, and I don't get some older stuff myself that my Dad loved.

Ziggy
04-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Interesting note about humor being generational. I totally believe this. A lot of stuff I think is hilarious is lost on my Dad and on guys 25 years younger. I think most (not all) comedies made in the last 20 years are dreadfully unfunny, and I don't get some older stuff myself that my Dad loved.

OK Dread, if you don't find this funny then it might just be you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnydFmqHuVo

MasterShake
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
"I've changed it up over the years, but the main five are going to be "Vacation," "Fletch," "Stripes," "Caddyshack," and probably "The Jerk," Manning said, naming five comedies that star early cast members of "Saturday Night Live".

I love all of those movies, but I suppose Manning and I are roughly the same age which makes me feel old...

Some newer comedies are really hit or miss, but the most recently I can watch over and over is MacGruber. It is definitely an acquired taste.

MOtorboat
04-21-2013, 06:52 PM

That is dreadfully unfunny.

spikerman
04-21-2013, 07:16 PM
We actually do the same thing with our younger coworkers. Usually what happens is we (older types) sit around laughing our butts off while the younger guys just stare at us. They're young punks - they don't know what real comedy is.

Nomad
04-21-2013, 07:24 PM

Yep! I heard the same thing when I was a kid from the 'Greatest Generation and Baby Boomers Generation', which would be my granddad and dad, about Bob Hope and Jerry Lewis compared to Chevy Chase and Bill Murray, though I think they're all funny. Adam Sandler is probably one of my favorites as far as the last 20 yrs.

Dapper Dan
04-21-2013, 08:21 PM

I thought it was hilarious.

Simple Jaded
04-21-2013, 08:39 PM
"I feel like a hundred dollars" which movie?

Ziggy
04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
"I feel like a hundred dollars" which movie?

Fletch.

Timmy!
04-21-2013, 10:41 PM
That is dreadfully unfunny.

I think tinker posted that a week ago somewhere....could have been sneakers. Regardless, it is funny...not histarical, but funny. I like whale and rhino.

Army Bronco
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Stripes was pretty funny. " Anyone calls me Francis, I'll Kill ya....take it easy Francis" "Army Training Sir! "

Dapper Dan
04-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I think tinker posted that a week ago somewhere....could have been sneakers. Regardless, it is funny...not histarical, but funny. I like whale and rhino.

My friend liked the gator. Rhino is my personal favorite.

shank
04-21-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm 25 and love all those movies (except I've never seen stripes)

Dapper Dan
04-21-2013, 11:32 PM
I've seen Caddy shack, the Jerk, and Bull Durham. As well as a lot of the SNLs thanks to Netflix. I've always meant to watch Stripes.

My favorite 5 movies are probably
The Great Dictator
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Varsity Blues
Any Given Sunday
And I'm not sure of a 5th yet.

That was just off the top of my head.

Varsity Blues isn't the best movie ever made. But even the serious parts are hilarious to me.

Simple Jaded
04-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Fletch.

And Caddyshack. On the beach in Fletch and with Lacey Underall in Caddyshack.

"l was born to love you."
"l was born to lick your face."
"l was born to rub you..."
"...but you were born to rub me first"

Army Bronco
04-22-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm 25 and love all those movies (except I've never seen stripes)You gotta see it. I guess its funnier to me since I've been in the Army but I liked it before I joined.

Dapper Dan
04-22-2013, 12:32 AM
You gotta see it. I guess its funnier to me since I've been in the Army but I liked it before I joined.

I've wanted to see it since they talk about Ft Knox. Man, I hated driving those hills that they talk about. I'd sure hate to march them.

Simple Jaded
04-22-2013, 12:49 AM
I used to rent Stripes, Caddyshack and Fast Times every weekend as a kid, they all had sweet, sweet titties in them. I miss gratuitous nudity and sex scenes.

Chef Zambini
04-22-2013, 01:32 AM
#1 movie, the holy grail.

Chef Zambini
04-22-2013, 01:35 AM
PFM, red neck.

Chef Zambini
04-22-2013, 02:10 AM
PFM says he cant relate to them?
then ask what THEIR favorite movies are and watch THEM.
PFM, hello, demanding they watch YOUR favorite movies helps THEM to relate to YOU, not the other way around.

Timmy!
04-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Derp! Derpington derpity deep derp dddddddeeeeerrrrrrrrppppp!.

fify

Joel
04-22-2013, 03:06 AM
Wow, someone really has a Chevy-chubby.

MasterShake
04-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Wow, someone really has a Chevy-chubby.

And so do I

i7AUpGXLDdk

Chef Zambini
04-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Yep! ... Adam Sandler is probably one of my favorites as far as the last 20 yrs.until ada, sandler sends me a refund for ZOHAN, which was total crap, I am not going to patronize another one of his movies.

Northman
04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
And i would be like Mr. Manning, put these earbuds in and listen to some metalz. Get on my page Pedro!

weazel
04-22-2013, 11:39 AM

well yeah for sure... just look at the TV shows from one era to another. I used to love Cheers but try and watch one of those now without wincing in pain.

weazel
04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
until ada, sandler sends me a refund for ZOHAN, which was total crap, I am not going to patronize another one of his movies.

they've only gotten worse, zam.

Dapper Dan
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
well yeah for sure... just look at the TV shows from one era to another. I used to love Cheers but try and watch one of those now without wincing in pain.
I love Cheers. Until Coach dies. I stopped watching. It's not the same.

SR
04-22-2013, 12:30 PM

My favorite show when I was a kid was Airwolf. A few years ago I bought the DVD box set on amazon. Worst TV show ever.