PDA

View Full Version : Positives

frauschieze
08-30-2009, 10:39 PM
The intent of this thread is to talk about what was good about the game, what we're doing well, what we're improving on, where we're going from here.

So tell me, what did you see that you liked?

In particular for me, I like the heart we showed. The energy on the field seemed much higher than in the other preseason games. I'm hoping it wasn't a one time showing because of Cutler.

Brandstater's presence is much improved from last game. Even on his interception, he seemed more comfortable in the pocket than Orton, even.

Love Dooms. Love him. :D

I am curious to know what's up with all the penalties. Are we still just thinking too much and not reacting? What's the deal?

frauschieze
08-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh and Hillis' touchdown. Great blocking by both Graham and Larsen. Textbook.

Tned
08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
#3 played better than last week, second week in a row he made an early appearance due to injury.

I thought the front seven again got good pressure and played a swaring like defense against the run. The 98 yard drive obviously wasn't good, but before that they were solid.

The offense was out of sorts, between the penalties and such. I thought Hillis had some good runs and Buckhalter looked lousy early, but had some solid runs later on.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Hillis playing 3 positions...however don't want him to get hurt.

And Elvis. Loved his intensity...got a little carried away on one play, but got good pressure on Cutler early and got him out of his game.

Other than that, maybe Brandsetter...but to keep it in perspective, he was going against guys that are probably cut tomorrow.

skycoyote
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Special Teams, Buckhalter, Hillis, Brandstater, Elvis Dumerville, and that new punter.

frauschieze
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Other than that, maybe Brandsetter...but to keep it in perspective, he was going against guys that are probably cut tomorrow.

Wasn't the Bears 1st string D still in at the beginning of 3rd quarter? Or was it just some starters?

Shazam!
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Finally, Doom is playing in a position more suitable for his size and overall the D seems much better on the rush..

Also, Brandstater may be a go at Starter if he can string a few of those performances together on drives, also depending on Orton's fingey.

We didn't think Griese would be the guy going into '99 either. Not that Orton's been awful like Brister was, but Tommy B made some nice chucks that Orton didn't.

If Tommy B has a future with the Broncos, throw him to the wolves now and let him have his time. He showed flashes and I like him. He was my Adopted Bronco too.

Overtime
08-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Brandstater had a little coming out party tonight. Kid looked pretty impressive, especially on the bomb to McKinley...anyone see how tight that spiral was? He threw that thing on a rope, and it sure was purty!!!!

I can tell he's catching on to the offensive scheme and playbook. I think he'll make the team. Hopefully we'll get to see him get more reps to be ready to go in case 1.) Orton goes down or 2.) Orton just stinks it up terribly, and throws INT's all the time.

Rookie made me proud tonight. :D

Northman
08-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Defense:

Doom was intense. I really like him at his LB spot. I think overall we still need a definitive beast on the Dline to create more havoc or to take a double team to free up the others. But, overall they seem more intense out there and thats good. Definitely some room for improvement and that will come with time i guess when they start to really gel together.

Offense:

Orton- He had solid numbers but the redzone is still a major concern. But, im not seeing much running from McD while Orton is at the helm so its hard to really gauge how he can either improve or implode at that point. Brandstater looks like he could be a good player but its just far too early to send him to the wolves.

ST's- I know Devin Hester is a god but we still need some work there. Punting though was pretty damn good overall so i liked that.

Overtime
08-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Colquitt was amazing tonight...his punting was as accurate as the F-117's dropping Bunker Busters on Baghdad in 1991.

I rarely give props to punters (they're lower than FG kickers in my book) but Colquitt earned an ATTA BOY!!!! from me tonight.

aberdien
08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
The punters, Dumervil, Hillis, and quarterbacks were pretty solid.

NameUsedBefore
08-30-2009, 11:25 PM
The most notable thing I've noticed this entire preseason is that our pass rush is actually doing something. We're actually getting pressure... that compared to last year which was the most pathetic showing by a d-line I've ever seen.

titan
08-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Just got back from the game. Brian Dawkins showed he still has something left - he had some good hits. I thought the defense generally played pretty well against Chicago's first team - getting pressure on Cutler. Brandstater definitely improved over last week and shows some promise (not ready to start a real nfl game yet)

West
08-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Dawkins. Watching him pace around before the game gave me goosebumps. It fired me up. I can't imagine what it did for the other players. That guy is intense!

Hillis looked solid as always.

Defense looked alright.

Doom is the man.

Darius Walker ran good tonight.

Brandstater is improving. I liked how he moved around in the pocket.

Thnikkaman
08-30-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm finally beginning to see what MO was seeing about Brandstater. I want him to start, but I want him to sit behind Orton as long as we can. I would be happy to see him get the start once we are out of playoff contention.

The D looks improved even on that 98 yard drive. We should have had them 3 and out, but Cutler is a great preseason quarterback. I'm liking the wide reciever wearing #11. I can't remember his name, but he should make the team. I like Orton, but right now the only weakness we have on Offense is the quarterback. I missed most of the 1st half so I'm hoping I can find a replay of the game somewhere.

Kenny McKinley was his name.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Wasn't the Bears 1st string D still in at the beginning of 3rd quarter? Or was it just some starters?

I did see Urlacher in when we were running all over them to set up that nice pass, but not sure how many other starters were in there at the time.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-30-2009, 11:54 PM
With performances like tonight the Broncos will be poised to have top draft selections for years to come. Seriously, that is a positive.

Overtime
08-31-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm not very happy with Darius Walker...he had a crucial fumble. sloppy sloppy ball security for a guy trying to make the team. i know he scored a td late, but yeah, i was disappointed with the fumble.

NameUsedBefore
08-31-2009, 12:06 AM
If Shanahan was still coach you'd never hear of Walker ever again. I still remember Mike Bell fumbling twice (IIRC) and, even after scoring 8-TDs, pretty much never saw the field again.

jrelway
08-31-2009, 12:07 AM
i positively saw a coach that doesnt know how to call a pass play to go more than 10 yrds. i saw our starting qb panick and start dancing when the pocket barely collapses. (orton doesnt know how to extend a play worth his life) bill devaroe could hit the holes quicker than our back up runningbacks. this team doesnt have a nutsack anymore. i feel like crying.

Overtime
08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
i positively saw a coach that doesnt know how to call a pass play to go more than 10 yrds. i saw our starting qb panick and start dancing when the pocket barely collapses. (orton doesnt know how to extend a play worth his life) bill devaroe could hit the holes quicker than our back up runningbacks. this team doesnt have a nutsack anymore. i feel like crying.

he doesn't call a pass play longer than 10 yards when Orton's in the game, because ORTON can't throw the long ball, and McDaniels clearly doesn't trust Orton not to throw INT's, which is why we won't see Orton taking many deep shots down the field this season.

but did you see Tom B, take the Bears starters on defense, deep with a long bomb to McKinley in the 3rd quarter??? a rookie took the Bears starters deep on a beautiful post route. :lol:

So it's not that McD can't call a pass play longer than 10 yards, it's that he won't do it with Orton as the QB, because Orton is too inconsistent.

but he was seeing what Brandstater could do, getting a feel for his potential, and even though he's a rookie, Brandstater could be something very special in a few years. Me likey what I see from our rookie QB!! (hey I made a rhyme!!) :D

Tned
08-31-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm finally beginning to see what MO was seeing about Brandstater. I want him to start, but I want him to sit behind Orton as long as we can. I would be happy to see him get the start once we are out of playoff contention.

You mean start him in week 17, when we are resting our starters for week 1 for the players ;)

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 12:17 AM

There's a billion other threads you can post shit like this in.

Leave my one bright spot in this shit storm alone.

Tned
08-31-2009, 12:19 AM
With performances like tonight the Broncos will be poised to have top draft selections for years to come. Seriously, that is a positive.

Only problem is that we traded away next years top draft pick, so we will have to wait a year to reap those fruits you speak of.

LoyalSoldier
08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
You mean start him in week 17, when we are resting our starters for week 1 for the players ;)

Man I really hope you are right, but I am not betting on it. :(

broncogirl7
08-31-2009, 12:22 AM
I also want Brandstater to start. He looked pretty impressive tonight.
Hillis-awesome.
Dumervil-awesome, except for the unnecessary roughness call. (You are better than that Dumervil!)
Special teams looked better tonight.
Dawkins ...

jrelway
08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
There's a billion other threads you can post shit like this in.

Leave my one bright spot in this shit storm alone.

i can respect that. one positive is the way our defense is playing. but can i still add that we suck?

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 12:44 AM
i can respect that. one positive is the way our defense is playing. but can i still add that we suck?

*sighs*

I know we suck. I'm just looking for the good things. I don't expect this team to be great.

If I can see little things that mean we're improving, I can make it though a horrible season. Otherwise, the constant bickering is liable to make me lose my mind (and I don't have much left!). :D

Overtime
08-31-2009, 12:45 AM
I also want Brandstater to start. He looked pretty impressive tonight.
Hillis-awesome.
Dumervil-awesome, except for the unnecessary roughness call. (You are better than that Dumervil!)
Special teams looked better tonight.
Dawkins ...

aw, that late hit by Dumervil was worth it. that was Doom letting Butthurtler know he screwed up a good thing, and that we ain't forgot about it!!! So I applaud Doom for being nasty.

but i loved how our defense was in his face all night long.

our Punter and Field Goal kicker looked great for the special teams...the coverage teams did not. Almost giving up a TD to Hester on the Punt Return is unacceptable, if it weren't for the td that resulted from the good field position that return gave the Bears, game woulda been a lot closer than it was.

our ST coverage units continue to disappoint. :tsk: we had that problem last year and it looks like once again it hasn't been fixed.

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2009, 12:47 AM
Another positive.....we could be Raider fans.

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 12:52 AM
I did like the late hit by Doom, I gotta admit. I liked seeing that little bit of nastiness on the defense.

broncogirl7
08-31-2009, 12:55 AM
I did like the late hit by Doom, I gotta admit. I liked seeing that little bit of nastiness on the defense.

I still didn't like it, it was a cheap shot and totally unnecessary...but, gotta love the little smirk Dumervil had after doing it!:lol:

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 12:58 AM
I still didn't like it, it was a cheap shot and totally unnecessary...but, gotta love the little smirk Dumervil had after doing it!:lol:

I liked that Kenny was gonna take on a bunch of the Bears after it happened. He had Doom's back. :lol:

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2009, 12:59 AM

I'm thinking that a hit he had on Cutty earlier they were jawing at each other and actually Doom could have been called for a late hit on that one. None the less, he got in Cutlers head and the minute the refs called that acting job a late hit, the D was never the same.

dogfish
08-31-2009, 01:12 AM
one big positive-- not just tonight, but from the entire pre-season-- is chris baker. . . that kid has flashed every game, he's got legit skills. . . he's going to be a player for us. . . we'll see what we can get from him this year, but i really think that down the line he's going to start at the nose and play well. . . NT is a spot where you don't necessarily have to have that high draft pick with the freakish talent (although baker does have plenty of ability-- some people had him projected as high as the third round before character concerns caused him to drop off the board)-- what you really need is a guy who's big, tough and nasty. . .

baker looks to me like he can be that guy. . . he has the massive size you want at the position, and stills moves very well. . . he also seems to have plenty of base strength and that natural ability to play with power. . . give him a year or two in an NFL weight room, and i think we may have found the answer to one of our most pressing needs at a premium price. . .

now we just need two or three more guys like him. . .

also, it's very obvious that we just plain have weapons all over the field on offense. . . and that's without moreno or marshall even suiting up. . . royal is a freakin' stud, and looks just fine without 15 drawing coverage away from him, we go four or five deep at WR with guys that are capable of making plays, and we probably have the deepest group of TEs in the league. . . and hillis is a beast-- it's an incredible luxury for a playcaller to have a guy with that type of versatility. . .

i'm a looong ways from sold on any of our quarterbacks, but IF we can find a guy to handle the position, the only problem will be finding enough footballs to go around. . .

i honestly think we have enough skill position talent that we could move marshall and not suffer that much of a letdown. . . of course i'd rather see our O with him out there putting it over the top, and he does add an element that we just don't have with any of our other guys (maybe chef to some extent), but if worst comes to worst i'm starting to feel like we'll be okay without him. . .

another big positive is that we look like we should have at least some pass rush this year, which has just been a friggin' disaster area forever with this team. . . we still have a long ways to go, but it's just nice to actually see some pressure out there. . .

and one more note. . . regarding elvis dumervil, a lot of people on this board have one big "I TOLD YA SO" coming from me. . . dude got torched here last year, and i really don't remember anyone else having mch to say in his defense besides me. . . and it pissed me off how quickly people were ready to throw one of our best players on the garbage heap. . . guy killed it for us his first two years, then comes out and gets hurt early, and has a down year in a defense so epically bad that even future first-ballot hall of famer champ bailey couldn't make a play on it. . . and suddenly doom was useless-- some people were suggesting that we should just trade him for whatever we could get, he had no value any more. . . did they think he just woke up one morning and forgot how to play??

yea, you know who you are. . . by all rights, there needs to be some serious public consumption of crow on this subject, and when i get a bit of free time it's going to be served up-- nice and cold. . . . :D

Shazam!
08-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Doom is playing a position now that more suits has size and speed. He should've been converted to a LB long ago... as many of us has said.

pnbronco
08-31-2009, 01:38 AM
The energy out tonight was amazing from the D. Dawkins did a flip when he walk out of the tunnel just kept pumping everyone up. You know the other person that he a super high energy is Haggan.

I didn't see the late hit from Doom and was surprised it was Doom, love that Kenny had his back.

Goodman had that great breakup of one of the longer passes in the end zone.

Punter did a great job tonight. The one from Britton was a beauty on the 1 yd line, he was sooo happy.

I liked seeing both Hillis and Spenser out there at the same time, Spens can really block.

Dog you bet you can tell Told You So and love it!!!

Gaffney was not out there tonight and he has played well with Orten at times. Does anyone know why? Eddie is a beast and Hillis I seem to say over and over what a player. When he didn't get yardage one play you could see that he was upset with himself, he's such a great guy, I'm so glad for him and Eddie.

Thanks Faun. The best part is to share with the great fans on this site...:salute:

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Pn....Gaffney has a broken thumb. That's why he was out.

LordTrychon
08-31-2009, 01:46 AM
and one more note. . . regarding elvis dumervil, a lot of people on this board have one big "I TOLD YA SO" coming from me. . . dude got torched here last year, and i really don't remember anyone else having mch to say in his defense besides me. . . and it pissed me off how quickly people were ready to throw one of our best players on the garbage heap. . . guy killed it for us his first two years, then comes out and gets hurt early, and has a down year in a defense so epically bad that even future first-ballot hall of famer champ bailey couldn't make a play on it. . . and suddenly doom was useless-- some people were suggesting that we should just trade him for whatever we could get, he had no value any more. . . did they think he just woke up one morning and forgot how to play??

I've always supported Elvis. V would kill me if I didn't. Dunno how much I defended him here... but I'm most certainly with you on this...

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by dogfish

Kind of like Orton and McDaniels getting torched?

Anyway, If you recall ( not sure if you do and I can't go get the record of it because I am perma-banned from there) but on mania....before the draft happened I said we needed to draft Elvis in the first round. I have always been a fan. No bashing from me on here concerning Doom.

When I heard we were switching to a 3-4, the first player that popped into my head about being a beast in a 3-4 was Doom.

WARHORSE
08-31-2009, 02:20 AM
On one of the early kickoffs, I believe it was after we kicked our first field goal, our special teams brought the ball carrier down at the ten yard line.

I dont ever remember seeing that during the entire time Shanny was coach here. These special teams guys are gonna get it done for us this year.

You can put it in the bank that we will block a punt this year. Guaranteed.
When was the last time we saw that in Denver ?

The defense played very well, and other than the one long drive, I have no complaints. The secondary did an awesome job today.

We basically shut down Forte, and if it werent for Hesters return early on, I think we were choking them out.

Penalties killed every big play we had it seemed. Instead of a 20 yard gain, we'd get a ten yard loss. Thats a thirty yard swing, and even the best teams have a hard time gettin over that kind of stuff.

Brandstater had SIGNIFICANT improvement from his first outing. He needs more reps.

I didnt see alot of zone blocking. Me thinks we're working on the heads up type of blocking specifically because we need the work at it. Come the regular season, I think we'll see more.

I think as well that McDaniels has Orton throwing short every time out there early on for a reason. I think we will see more down the field shots during the season.

I wasnt unhappy about the game. I saw IMPROVEMENT.:beer:

LoyalSoldier
08-31-2009, 02:25 AM
The defense is looking better, but it still isn't good enough IMO. Even if our offense is decent I just don't think we have a strong enough defense to cover the short comings of the offense.

LordTrychon
08-31-2009, 02:25 AM
Kind of like Orton and McDaniels getting torched?

Anyway, If you recall ( not sure if you do and I can't go get the record of it because I am perma-banned from there) but on mania....before the draft happened I said we needed to draft Elvis in the first round. I have always been a fan. No bashing from me on here concerning Doom.

When I heard we were switching to a 3-4, the first player that popped into my head about being a beast in a 3-4 was Doom.

Took me a minute... but just in his defense...

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=48270

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5142726

We sure could use one of our first round picks on this guy.

Lonestar
08-31-2009, 02:29 AM
swarming defense with a few exceptions there were 3-6 broncos around the ball carrier..

we can put heat on a QB that has not happened in a long while..

while I do not recall a sack tonight there were alot of hurries.. and a couple almost picks..

but then I have been up since 0200 den time getting back home.. going to bed now..

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2009, 02:32 AM
Took me a minute... but just in his defense...

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=48270

That's beautiful LT!!

:beer::beer:

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 03:16 AM
positives---

Briton Colquitt- dude probally beat out kern for the starting punting gig
Tom brandstater- good poised played against chicagos first team defense until near the end of the 3rd quarter, he could be a gem in hiding....he has good mobility a good arm, and his pocket presence was much improved....
Eddie royal--BEAST!
Hillis--BEAST
Mckinely--Good stuff
Brandon Llyod--We are gonna need him....
Defensive pressure was very good...
Elvis--BEAST
Haggan--Making good improvement
Baker--raw but improving weekly
DJ williams--Dude is gonna have a good year
Goodman--Very underated.....

MasterShake
08-31-2009, 03:48 AM
I'm not going to go crazy and call for Brandstater to start, but he really impressed me. Looked a lot calmer.

Some other positives I saw whilst at the game:

-Our secondary is helping the pass rush. On the first few drives all the mid to deep routes were blanketed. Champ definitely still has it, Cutler would not even look his way.

-Dawkins. This dude has lots of energy and leadership. As West pointed out him lurking around the field before kickoff and between plays was intense.

-Orton, when he did throw, made some really quick reads. He is not the answer, but short term I think our QB lineup is serviceable. I can't fault the guy for all the holding calls that wiped out some good plays.

-Defensive line pressure. When the Bears were backed up in the endzone, they had two near safeties. I don't know if they showed it on t.v. but Cutler actually shoved #21 after the play was over as he celebrated knocking him on his back. They really got under his skin early.

-Prater. The guy was actually pinning people back in the endzone on kickoffs. Nice to see that again! Hopefully he can keep it up all year.

-Special Teams, aside from the awful Hester runback, looked much improved. Loved the corner coffin punt by the backup punter. We backed them up a couple times.

claymore
08-31-2009, 06:24 AM

I dont know if it is that per say.... Orton might need glasses though because he cant see past the line of scrimmage.

Brandstetterhaufenfield looked pretty good, and set JMCD era completions records for farthest throws, but his best throws seemed to come off of boot legs.

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm not going to go crazy and call for Brandstater to start, but he really impressed me. Looked a lot calmer.Some other positives I saw whilst at the game:

-Our secondary is helping the pass rush. On the first few drives all the mid to deep routes were blanketed. Champ definitely still has it, Cutler would not even look his way.

-Dawkins. This dude has lots of energy and leadership. As West pointed out him lurking around the field before kickoff and between plays was intense.

-Orton, when he did throw, made some really quick reads. He is not the answer, but short term I think our QB lineup is serviceable. I can't fault the guy for all the holding calls that wiped out some good plays.

-Defensive line pressure. When the Bears were backed up in the endzone, they had two near safeties. I don't know if they showed it on t.v. but Cutler actually shoved #21 after the play was over as he celebrated knocking him on his back. They really got under his skin early.

-Prater. The guy was actually pinning people back in the endzone on kickoffs. Nice to see that again! Hopefully he can keep it up all year.

-Special Teams, aside from the awful Hester runback, looked much improved. Loved the corner coffin punt by the backup punter. We backed them up a couple times.

i will i havent seen eitehr kyle or simms look that calm with that much pressure and attack thrown at them....seriously he made some nice throws in the pocket has the best athletic ability out of all 3 and probally the best arm, he works his accuracy, timing and defensive reads a bit and i would start him easily.....in fact at this point he is the best Qb on the roster based on his play against any starting defense of any quality....dont forget simms played against a second string san fran d in his debut.....brandstater stood confident on constant run blitzes and pressure against a first string chicago attack defense.....and got us a score to boot.....orton right now to me should be on the bench behind brandstater.....with sims getting the shot....

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 07:27 AM
This week will be spent fluffing Brandstater and then he'll go out and lay an egg this weekend and the honeymoon will end. Par for the course

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:28 AM
This week will be spent fluffing Brandstater and then he'll go out and lay an egg this weekend and the honeymoon will end. Par for the course

exactly then i will claim briton colquitt as our next savior at QB...unless royal can play QB...but then who do we throw it to if marshall and gaffney are out....:lol:

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:29 AM

6th rd rookies get alot more room to lay eggs that a 5 year vet who was spoon fed to us as the "MAN"!!!!!!

i mean crap at this rate kyle orton is screwed if he wants to reach the 3000yd plateau i made with him in madden...i only threw 1 pick in the preseason.....LOL!!!!!!

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 07:30 AM
6th rd rookies get alot more room to lay eggs that a 5 year vet who was spoon fed to us as the "MAN"!!!!!!

Is that better for the team?

Elevation inc
08-31-2009, 07:32 AM
Is that better for the team?

the best player will play according to MCD, based on QB performance agaisnt first string defenses thats brandstater and thats with less reps than simms or orton in TC....lol funny stuff...orton save us please....lol

Fan in Exile
08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm happy that the team didn't seem to take Cutler too seriously. They played this game like a preseason game and not a grudge match, or love fest. That's exactly the type of professionalism that I want to see from my team.

I'm happy with our pass rush, if they would have called holding equally on each team it would have turned out a lot differently. Not that it couldn't get better but I think it fulfills reasonable expectations for our third preseason game.

I'm happy with out wide receivers. I think making cuts from this group is going to be really hard. If we get Brandon back on the field we're going to be epic, if not we're going to be good.

I think our Tight ends are good Quinn had a really nice catch.

Even without Knowshon we got some really good runs in.

There were some great things on special teams as well, we won't be playing Hester every game and by the end of the season our special teams will be special.

EastCoastBronco
08-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Positives in ranking order...

1) Defence:They are tackling, swarming and generally flying around...with a purpose, not with a reckless abandon.
2) Peyton Hillis. Enough said.
3) Eddie Royal.
4) Goodman. He's actually doing what Bly was supposed to be doing. His closing speed is really good. That long TD pass he busted up was a thing of beauty.
5) Bruton: On special teams he was like a mad dog. They were double teaming him all night and he never, ever gave up.

Honorable Mention...I think once Clady gets his timing down on those screens, there are going to be some very scared/sore corners and linebackers out there...;-)

Almost forgot Doom...That guy's motor never quits. He's like the Hillis of the defence. Once he gets used to coming out of that 2 point stance...look out. Personally, I thought the lovetap he gave Cutler was great. Sit down Jay.... What the hell, it's only pre-season....;-)

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Only problem is that we traded away next years top draft pick, so we will have to wait a year to reap those fruits you speak of.

I'll take top ten choices in the first parts of each round that we have picks in though. It isn't just about that number one guy. The value will be huge for us if we absolutely tank it this year. :salute:

BigDaddyBronco
08-31-2009, 11:30 AM
I'll take top ten choices in the first parts of each round that we have picks in though. It isn't just about that number one guy. The value will be huge for us if we absolutely tank it this year. :salute:
And you don't spend ungodly amounts of cap money on a 1st rounder who might be a bust.

If you lose out on the next Peyton Manning, then, oops, but you just don't know.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2009, 11:32 AM
And you don't spend ungodly amounts of cap money on a 1st rounder who might be a bust.

If you lose out on the next Peyton Manning, then, oops, but you just don't know.

With the 49th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos select Timmy Hiller! Next Peyton Manno.

G_Money
08-31-2009, 11:39 AM

You know the backup QB is almost always the most popular guy in town when the starter's struggling, Coach. Hard to throw picks and embarrass yourself from the bench. :cool:

Brandstater's not ready to play in this league. He may not ever be ready, but he's really not ready now. Completing passes against guys who will be washing dishes at Denny's next week or cleaning up spills on aisle 4 is not the same thing as doing it in a live game, week after week.

Let him ride the bench and get the tag of Savior - the reps need to go to the guys ahead of him. Even though I'm not an Orton fan, he's got to play. If he doesn't, then Simms should. If Simms can't, well, that's what we brought in Martin for.

Brandstater's job is to learn, not to play. Hopefully he learns well enough to be our Savior. :rolleyes: We've got 4 QBs hangin around the roster now. One of em has to work out in the next coupla years, right?

If Orton, Simms and Martin all faceplant this year, then let Brandstater compete next year. But this should be a red-shirt year for the kid, IMO, no matter what.

~G

Slick
08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Well said G.

The other 3 QB's will have to do whether we like them or not. I'm of the opinion that the other 3 are just here to bide the time and the QB of the future isn't even on the team yet.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-31-2009, 11:45 AM
He isn't on the team yet Slick, but Timmy Hiller will be next year. :salute:

BigDaddyBronco
08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm still sticking with Orton. He drinks like Jay, but doesn't have diabetes. He throws interceptions, but doesn't throw his teammates under the bus. And he has had a sick neckbeard.

Jaws
08-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Positives for me = this thread.
Best read in a while.
Keep it up.
:beer:

pnbronco
08-31-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm still sticking with Orton. He drinks like Jay, but doesn't have diabetes. He throws interceptions, but doesn't throw his teammates under the bus. And he has had a sick neckbeard.

Please post more BDB, love reading them...

Sharkie you nailed it. I have smiled while reading this thread and it's enjoyable to come back to. We all know deep down it's gong to be a long season, but we love the team anyway and that's what makes us fans. Thanks for the positive posts guys...:elefant:

G_Money
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
For positives, I did like seeing Brandstater not as terrified of the bright lights as he was in the last game. He has some tools to work with, though I still don't think he's anything like The Future. He might play Gary Kubiak to our next Elway, though.

Dumerville was a machine. He didn't get that elusive sack but he MANHANDLED Pace, with both strength and speed, and that doesn't happen often even if Pace is on his last legs. Now that it's not his job to hold the edge the same way in the run game I can enjoy seeing him out there more often. We'll see how he does against the pass, but at this point he doesn't look any worse than our other LBs - though I'm not sure that's a good thing for the other LBs...

Hillis and Buckhalter were good - liked the burst from Buck when we got him a crease, and Hillis is just Hillis. Still not sure why he's running back kicks, but if we're not gonna give him too many touches at tailback then it's all right with me. I just worry about losing our TB/FB/H-back/TE/KR to injury. Royal owns, as always - no need for a mention really, he should just always be on this list.

McKinley caught stuff, which is an improvement. As soon as he learns to run routes he could be a decent contributor. I liked him in college, so I'm glad to see him making progress.

Our secondary really does look revitalized. If Goodman and Dawkins can stay mostly healthy we could have an interesting back-4 for the season. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do against a team with real WRs, and I have concerns about our ability to stop the TE (neither our LBs nor Dawk may be cut out for that) but having some good players on the field never hurts.

And Colquitt owned. I like it when a punter owns. Field position battles aren't exactly thrilling, but they sure do help with wins. Ask the Chargers how much they liked making Peyton Manning go 95 yards for a TD every time in the playoffs.

There was some good stuff in the game. Even after the adrenaline of the first quarter wore off. I hope we can play that energized all year, for every game.

Whatever concerns I have for our record or some positional issues, I want to see us improve and play like it matters. I didn't like seeing the backups have more energy and enthusiasm to win than the regulars did last season. Now that guys like Hillis should be starting and we have Dawkins instead of the Moron Brothers back at safety, I hope to see better energy and effort for the whole game.

I think we need more talent to actually win, but I want to see us take advantage of the talent we do have, and not squander it with inept scheme or flat play.

Here's hopin.

~G

Dr Velcro
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Every time I see Stokley, it makes me very happy....
Even if he's not with the Colts anymore.

McKinley will be a GREAT WR for you guys. Just a hunch there.
Chad Jackson will be great....as long as he doesn't get hurt.....again.

Going against my fiance and knowing I'll get scowled at when he reads this...

I think Marshall can go home. You don't need him.

topscribe
08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
For positives, I did like seeing Brandstater not as terrified of the bright lights as he was in the last game. He has some tools to work with, though I still don't think he's anything like The Future. He might play Gary Kubiak to our next Elway, though.

Dumerville was a machine. He didn't get that elusive sack but he MANHANDLED Pace, with both strength and speed, and that doesn't happen often even if Pace is on his last legs. Now that it's not his job to hold the edge the same way in the run game I can enjoy seeing him out there more often. We'll see how he does against the pass, but at this point he doesn't look any worse than our other LBs - though I'm not sure that's a good thing for the other LBs...

Hillis and Buckhalter were good - liked the burst from Buck when we got him a crease, and Hillis is just Hillis. Still not sure why he's running back kicks, but if we're not gonna give him too many touches at tailback then it's all right with me. I just worry about losing our TB/FB/H-back/TE/KR to injury. Royal owns, as always - no need for a mention really, he should just always be on this list.

McKinley caught stuff, which is an improvement. As soon as he learns to run routes he could be a decent contributor. I liked him in college, so I'm glad to see him making progress.

Our secondary really does look revitalized. If Goodman and Dawkins can stay mostly healthy we could have an interesting back-4 for the season. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do against a team with real WRs, and I have concerns about our ability to stop the TE (neither our LBs nor Dawk may be cut out for that) but having some good players on the field never hurts.

And Colquitt owned. I like it when a punter owns. Field position battles aren't exactly thrilling, but they sure do help with wins. Ask the Chargers how much they liked making Peyton Manning go 95 yards for a TD every time in the playoffs.

There was some good stuff in the game. Even after the adrenaline of the first quarter wore off. I hope we can play that energized all year, for every game.

Whatever concerns I have for our record or some positional issues, I want to see us improve and play like it matters. I didn't like seeing the backups have more energy and enthusiasm to win than the regulars did last season. Now that guys like Hillis should be starting and we have Dawkins instead of the Moron Brothers back at safety, I hope to see better energy and effort for the whole game.

I think we need more talent to actually win, but I want to see us take advantage of the talent we do have, and not squander it with inept scheme or flat play.

Here's hopin.

~G

Good assessment.

Just one thing: You mentioned the possible inability to handle good TEs. I
wonder whether the coaches ever noticed on film how Barrett did against TEs
last year. He seemed to do a fine job against Gates and Gonzo, didn't he?

-----

Jaws
08-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Another positive. This thread has inspired me enough to download the game, which will provide me with some entertainment while waiting till the 2a.m start of my draft tomorrow night!

pnbronco
08-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Honestly, the only real positive from this team as I see it is that they are so bad, McDanials will be run out of town sooner than I thought, by the end of the season. I see a 0-10 record by the end of November and Mike Nolan is promoted to be the interim headcoach. It will be the worst fiasco by any professional sports franchise in history.

Mike Shanahan will have his choice of wherever he wants to work.

Again there are so many other threads you can post your opinions. This is the one that we have made a choice to be positive and Nature you know the difference. We all know where you stand, please be respectful of us.

topscribe
08-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Honestly, the only real positive from this team as I see it is that they are so bad, McDanials will be run out of town sooner than I thought, by the end of the season. I see a 0-10 record by the end of November and Mike Nolan is promoted to be the interim headcoach. It will be the worst fiasco by any professional sports franchise in history.

Mike Shanahan will have his choice of wherever he wants to work.

Why do you have to spam even this thread? Did you not notice the title? It says
"Positives." What is the matter with you that you cannot control yourself to
keep silence even here if you cannot come up with any positives?

Wow. :tsk:

-----

G_Money
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Good assessment.

Just one thing: You mentioned the possible inability to handle good TEs. I
wonder whether the coaches ever noticed on film how Barrett did against TEs
last year. He seemed to do a fine job against Gates and Gonzo, didn't he?

-----

I don't expect to see much of Barrett. I really like his potential, but we invested 2 picks in Bruton (our in-theory ST ace who got his ass blocked good on the Chicago return to the 3) and McBath (who I don't like as much as Barrett) so I'm not expecting him to be on the field for more than ST duty, unfortunately.

I agree with you tho: That's the route I'd take against teams with pass-receiving threats at TE. I love Dawkins as a person and a leader but watching him chase TEs from behind and fail to catch them, like Lynch was doing, is not a good sight.

And our LBs suck at coverage. The only one I'd have cover a pass-catcher would be Woodyard, and maybe that'll be his role if we choose not to have Barrett do it. McBath might be up for it too, but I still see too much Hamza Abdullah in McBath to be comfortable with that, I guess.

Our starting safeties just aren't cover safeties. Dawkins is a great blitzer and run-stopper, and hitter in the secondary, but man coverage is a weakness.

And our starting LBs aren't gonna pick him up. We do have guys who can do it, though, if we let them, so that's a bonus. Hopefully they're good enough to get time on defense so we can utilize em in that fashion.

~G

Traveler
08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
The biggest positive for me wasn't the game, but how the players have finally spoken out on the Brandon Marshall incident on Wednesday.

I know they would like to handle the situation in-house, but hearing Wiegmann, Stokley and Champ's comments were a breath of fresh air.

Sounds like BM will have to knuckle down once he returns and the veterans are going to make sure he tows the line.

Lonestar
08-31-2009, 02:18 PM

I believe I saw their starters in until very late in the 3rd quarter..

I liked that Kenny was gonna take on a bunch of the Bears after it happened. He had Doom's back. :lol:

I was never big on Doom but have to admit that he has surprised me on his play as a rookie and then perhaps he has found his spot on D to play..

I thought last year they figured out the book on him how to keep him out of the backfield.. now I have seen him playing in space and taking on blockers this year I think OLB is a better spot for him..

DJ was in on a lot of OPEN field tackles in some cases way open near the sidelines at or behind the LOS.. I thought that out of character for a ILB.. Made some nice tackles one on one....

the one thing that has me excited team work we seem to be playing as a team gang tackling and for the most part I think our ST coverage is heads and above last year.. we had ONE return in this last game and it was a great RB by a special player.. not sure how he got started will have to look at it again but it was IMO not a bad punt but some damned fine blocking by a very experienced team that has been doing it for years.. unlike our hodge podge ST unit the past few years (12).:lol:

I still see a 5-6 win season but I see a big light down the dark tunnel..

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Apologies. I didn't know what thread I was in, just jumping back and forth between a half dozen or so. I am walking away from my computer now to take a break.

last note before I go, **** Josh McDanials.

...and on behalf of Josh McDaniels...*edit* nature Boy

G_Money
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
He can't spell McDaniels. I'm sure he means some other guy.

~G

Dean
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Positives. . .unh. . . our D-linemen didn't sweat much for fat guys.

Some good things happened but we are not ready to play for keeps.

G_Money
08-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Nah, we're not ready.

But we at least look like we want to GET ready.

As opposed to previous years where everybody played like they knew what they were doing, and it all fell apart down the stretch, year after year after year.

We're gonna need some tough-minded players this year. We've already cut some of the mental midgets, so hopefully the guys we replaced em with have more fortitude.

It's gonna be a long season, but there should be a lot to look for.

~G

Lonestar
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Positives. . .unh. . . our D-linemen didn't sweat much for fat guys.

Some good things happened but we are not ready to play for keeps.

yes there are a lot of things looking up on the team but with all of the changes made this year I would guess that as a coach you know we would have never been ready day one for perfection..

IMO this entire year will be the learning curve and by late in the year we will see big things happening..

hopefully we will not get our asses kicked bug weaker teams like we have the past 3-4 years..

I do not like to lose but I hope we can lose closer to better teams we we have to lose..

OldschoolFreak
08-31-2009, 02:47 PM
I liked that we stuck with the run and got the TD on the goal line after Hillis got stopped on 1st down.

topscribe
08-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Kyle Orton
Fast Eddie Royal
Andre' Goodman
Both punters
Darius Walker
Peyton Hillis
Tony Scheffler
Kenny McKinley
Brian Dawkins
D.J. Williams
Spencer Larsen
Tom Brandstater
Elvis Dumervil
Kenny Peterson
Ronald Fields

Just a few of the positives . . . :coffee:

-----

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
I liked that we stuck with the run and got the TD on the goal line after Hillis got stopped on 1st down.

Especially after the 4 downs in Seattle, 2 yards from goal, all passes, culminating in the left-handed abomination.

Rushing TD's make me happy too.

As does seeing Hillis bring back the Mile High Salute. :salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
I actually really like what I am seeing from the defense. As far as the offense goes...kind of vanilla and as much as people wanna complain about Orton, it was the penalties that did us in. I think our O will look worlds different w/ Moreno, BMarsh (yes, he will play) and Gaffney actually on the field.

Lonestar
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Especially after the 4 downs in Seattle, 2 yards from goal, all passes, culminating in the left-handed abomination.

Which reminds me we got the toss to the RB back and that made us some nice yards last night..

and of course Hillis with the MHS.. that was special.. but I think so is he.. he made a huge difference last year when the finally started him till he got hurt..

I like that Josh has figured out a way to put him in the mix opposed to trading him away like was earlier rumored.. I suspect that mini camps and OTA's saved the HOG from slaughter..

Superchop 7
08-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Can't blame the effort through 2 quarters.

McKinley deserves to start. They need to groom this kid quickly, if he sits on the bench they will waste budding talent. He has a very bright future.

dogfish
08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
He isn't on the team yet Slick, but Timmy Hiller will be next year. :salute:

tim tebow FTW!!

:woot: :rockon: :whoo: :whoo:

yea, but the other guys need to learn not to crowd around him and screw up the salute. . . .

oops, didn't mean to post that negativity in yer thread. . . .

Ravage!!!
08-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Dooom had the biggest attitude of the night, and tha twas good to see

Day1BroncoFan
08-31-2009, 06:25 PM
I more or less liked what the offense done excluding the penalties.

The defense looked fairly good except the no TO's part and the 98 yard TD drive. They are playing with fire and intention and they don't look like they're lost.

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
oops, didn't mean to post that negativity in yer thread. . . .

:cool:

That falls under a where do we go from here so I guess I'll let it slide. ;)

In all reality, I just want a place of level headedness more than a place to blow soap bubbles and watch the rainbows. If the only way I can get that is to outlaw negativity, so be it.

titan
08-31-2009, 10:07 PM
I was at the game last night and watched the tv replay today. On second look:

Orton was ok. His worst pass was when he missed a wide open Scheffler 20 yards down the field. Another pass that looked terrible at the stadium, missing Buckhalter, was actually a miscommunication with Correll at fault. That'll happen in this offense as the team learns it - players will be in the wrong spots and it makes the qb look bad when it may not be the qb's fault.

Dawkins is a beast! A faster version of John Lynch. After reading some reports he was washed up I was surprised how good he looked - flying around, making hits, good on the blitz.

If Goodman makes the interception inside the chicago 10 on Cutler we'd be talking about what an average game Cutler had. Instead Cutler marches the Bears down the field for the 98 yard drive to end the 1st half. Cutler did make some good throws, no doubt, but the Broncos 1st team D for the most part played pretty well.

Dumerville was held on the near safety - should have been a safety for holding in the end zone. How would that have changed the game with the bears free kicking from the 20.

Chris Baker is a free agent find. Did you hear Collingsworth say "Chris Baker just pushed back one of the best centers in the league 5 yards" (on a goal line play)?

On the cutler td pass at the end of the 1st half if Ayers raises his arms he has a good chance to knock the ball down (he was very close to sacking Jay but didn't try to block the pass)

I know this is a positive thread and really trying to be positive but 1 negative: still don't see evidence that Alphonso Smith is worth a #1. He got beat on the long pass and on another play missed a tackle.

I still say, though, that you can't take a preseason game too seriously. Let's see how the Broncos do against the Bengals with a real game plan on offense vs a mediocre defense. That game will also be a good test for the Broncos revamped defense. You know McDaniels is staying up late each night studying the Bengals. A win in that game would be a HUGE boost to the team's confidence followed by two very winnable games (browns at home, at raiders)

pnbronco
08-31-2009, 10:31 PM
:cool:

That falls under a where do we go from here so I guess I'll let it slide. ;)

In all reality, I just want a place of level headedness more than a place to blow soap bubbles and watch the rainbows. If the only way I can get that is to outlaw negativity, so be it.

So does that mean I have to cancel the bubble machine I had my eye on???? :rolleyes:

You know I'm with you frau, I just want to discuss what we saw in a reasonable manner. That it's ok to point the good without feeling like we have to justify it. Also that's it's ok to acknowledge the "work in progress, or not" without nasty comments.

frauschieze
08-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Hell no, pn! Get that bubble machine! A room full of bubbles would be pretty awesome. Not as awesome as a room full of playland balls, but still cool.