PDA

View Full Version : Javon Walker Back By Week 12?

TXBRONC
11-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Here's the lastest from TSN. It looking like we'll get Javon Walker back by week 12.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=306862

Broncos Team Report

Posted: November 18, 2007
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: When the season started, Denver put a premium on hulking defensive tackles and bigger ends to lock-and-hold off blockers in coordinator Jim Bates' scheme. Those days are over. DT Sam Adams is the only remaining player in the regular rotation who weighs more than 300 pounds, and half of the Broncos' 10 linemen weight 260 pounds or less. The team has made a flurry of moves up front, including the recent release of defensive linemen Simeon Rice, Antwon Burton and Amon Gordon, all of whom had been contributors. Bates now has rookie defensive end Tim Crowder playing inside, and newcomer Josh Mallard is another swing player who is logging extensive snaps at tackle. The result of the moves has been a quicker unit, but the line must prove it can hunker down against the run over the long haul. The Broncos have helped counterbalance their light front by playing a safety near the line of scrimmage on obvious run downs. . . .

The Broncos' special teams units have made significant strides in the past month. One key reason is the entire group finally understands the philosophy espoused by special teams coordinator Scott O'Brien. A couple of personnel tweaks have also added an element of controlled aggressiveness that has lifted the group's play. LB Jordan Beck has proved to be a huge addition to the coverage units. He has a knack for finding the ball and is a sure tackler. Rookie RB Andre Hall has brought speed to the coverage units and, as the deep man on kick returns, shows a lack of hesitation that's refreshing. He has consistently been getting returns out near the 30, something virtually unheard of for Denver earlier this season. . . .

Denver should get WR Javon Walker back for its Week 12 game against the Bears. Walker had arthroscopic surgery to clean out his knee and did some light drills at practices heading into the Week 11 game against the Titans, but the matchup against Chicago has always been his real target return date. Walker is running free and easy without the pain and stiffness that resulted from a training camp injury.

SCOUTING REPORT: TE Daniel Graham has lived up to his reputation as a mauler in the running game. While some Broncos tight ends, both present and past, have mainly used body positioning and angles to open creases, Graham takes that approach to another level. He is very strong and gets angry at himself when he doesn't completely blow his opponent out of the play. Graham has some downfield skills as a receiver, although doesn't have the consistent hands of fellow TE Tony Scheffler, who serves in a split-end type role. As a receiver, Graham is often his own worst enemy: He's so valuable on the line of scrimmage that he's frequently called upon in blitz pickup or to give double-team help against the league's toughest defensive ends.

UNDER THE RADAR: The Broncos had intended to use Brandon Stokley in the 'slot machine' role he played with the Colts, but Walker's knee injury changed those plans. Stokley was thrust into the starting lineup and has been a vital cog in the offense, particularly as a third-and-long target. Stokley doesn't have the big overall numbers of Brandon Marshall, who has ascended to the No. 1 receiver job in Walker's absence, nor is Stokley a huge threat after the catch. But he is a precise route runner who knows precisely where to cut off his pattern in order to move the chains. He excels at setting up defensive backs with head fakes and well-executed shoves. Also, Stokley has sticky hands; he rarely drops the ball.

Den21vsBal19
11-20-2007, 08:21 AM
About time we got some good injury news, ta TX :beer:

Nomad
11-20-2007, 08:23 AM
It will be nice to see his presence on the field!

Tned
11-20-2007, 08:34 AM
I read yesterday that he only ran at 50% during practice last week, but that if he practiced all week this week, he would play in Chicago.

omac
11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Great article, TXBRONC! :salute:

The question now becomes, when Javon is fully healthy, will he still be the number one back? Marshall's picked up the slack pretty well, and has been making a good name for himself.

Retired_Member_001
11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
A big boost for the offense. Javon is elite despite his injury problems, there is no denying that. We've all seen how Brandon Marshall has performed this season, we've all seen the key catches Stokley always makes. I think we've got a VERY good combo of receivers with Javon Walker back ( and there's no forgetting Glenn Martinez).

Let's just hope Javon can stay healthy. :salute:

TXBRONC
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
I read yesterday that he only ran at 50% during practice last week, but that if he practiced all week this week, he would play in Chicago.

We could sure use him against Chicago.

gobroncsnv
11-20-2007, 11:06 PM
You would think that if we had 3 wides (JW, Marshall, and Stokes), the Bears would have to respect that, which could open up some running lanes. And the passing game should hit another level. Poor us, stuck with someone like Marshall as #2 wideout.....

Stargazer
11-21-2007, 02:31 AM
It would be huge to have Javon back for Chicago. Stokely will eventually return back to the slot. Bmarshall will get more opportunities against coverage. Now that Denver is tied for 1st place Javon's return is monumental for the offense. Only good things will come when Javon returns to action.

TXBRONC
11-21-2007, 08:09 AM
You would think that if we had 3 wides (JW, Marshall, and Stokes), the Bears would have to respect that, which could open up some running lanes. And the passing game should hit another level. Poor us, stuck with someone like Marshall as #2 wideout.....

I don't know how productive Javon can be after missing that much playing time, however just having him on the field would give the Bears just one more thing to think about.

Lonestar
11-21-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't how productive Javon can be after missing that much playing time, however just having him on the field would give the Bears just one more thing to think about.

I think your correct here. If they try to cover him with anything less than their #1 or 2 CB they bee in trouble.. Then they have to worry about Stokely and the two TE's My only concern is their LB's taking Jays head off , Im not sure he will have enough time to throw.

underrated29
11-21-2007, 02:56 PM
I think your correct here. If they try to cover him with anything less than their #1 or 2 CB they bee in trouble.. Then they have to worry about Stokely and the two TE's My only concern is their LB's taking Jays head off , Im not sure he will have enough time to throw.

THAT IS a big concern, but the way to beat the lb's killing jay is to throw a couple of screens. Maybe to hall- that man in opens space is definitely going to keep those lbs on their toes. i think hall is way faster then tbell,and a much much much tougher runner. Of course young and any wr would be fine for screens too. I am jsut worried about the bears powering through us with benson or AP #2.

gobroncsnv
11-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Well, we've sort of re-discovered the rollout as well, so the LB's can't just run to the same spot every play. We used it sparingly early in the season, but it has been more noticeable and effective, of late. But our line will still have to play well, or Walker's return will be moot. I don't think we'll be able to stand up Tommie Harris and go toe-to-toe. We'll have to keep it moving.
Then again, Martinez did a good job in the game where we were going to him as a WR, but I don't remember him doing much against TN.
Still, happy to have JWalk coming back at the right time. Just stay healthy, and make the most of your opportunities.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2007, 08:30 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=81440

Broncos WR Walker returns to practice, may play Sunday at Chicago

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - Broncos receiver Javon Walker returned to practice Wednesday, a sign that his right knee has possibly healed enough to allow him to play Sunday at Chicago.

Walker has missed the last eight games due to his injured right knee. He had surgery to clean out the knee on Oct. 19 in Houston.

"It's feeling pretty good," said Walker, who tore the ACL in his right knee in the 2005 opener while with Green Bay. "It's not completely healed. But it's something I can work through. It feels good."

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was encouraged by the presence of Walker on the practice field. The limp was barely detectable as the sixth-year receiver ran pass routes.

"If there are no setbacks, he should be ready to go," Shanahan said.

Walker had 19 catches for 230 yards through the first three games of the season. Then his knee began to swell and he sat out two games. When the knee showed no signs of improvement, he elected to have surgery.

Walker said he held his own against Pro Bowl defensive backs Dre' Bly and Champ Bailey on Wednesday. That gave him a boost of confidence.

"If I can come out here and run some good routes against these DBs, I'm pretty sure I'll be ready on Sunday to go against somebody else's DBs," Walker said. "I don't think it's going to be anything that slows me down."

However, Walker was a little winded after practice.

"It's like coming in on the first day to start workouts again," Walker said with a grin. "It feels good to be catching balls. I'm happy to be out here running routes again."

TXBRONC
11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=81440

Broncos WR Walker returns to practice, may play Sunday at Chicago

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - Broncos receiver Javon Walker returned to practice Wednesday, a sign that his right knee has possibly healed enough to allow him to play Sunday at Chicago.

Walker has missed the last eight games due to his injured right knee. He had surgery to clean out the knee on Oct. 19 in Houston.

"It's feeling pretty good," said Walker, who tore the ACL in his right knee in the 2005 opener while with Green Bay. "It's not completely healed. But it's something I can work through. It feels good."

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was encouraged by the presence of Walker on the practice field. The limp was barely detectable as the sixth-year receiver ran pass routes.

"If there are no setbacks, he should be ready to go," Shanahan said.

Walker had 19 catches for 230 yards through the first three games of the season. Then his knee began to swell and he sat out two games. When the knee showed no signs of improvement, he elected to have surgery.

Walker said he held his own against Pro Bowl defensive backs Dre' Bly and Champ Bailey on Wednesday. That gave him a boost of confidence.

"If I can come out here and run some good routes against these DBs, I'm pretty sure I'll be ready on Sunday to go against somebody else's DBs," Walker said. "I don't think it's going to be anything that slows me down."

However, Walker was a little winded after practice.

"It's like coming in on the first day to start workouts again," Walker said with a grin. "It feels good to be catching balls. I'm happy to be out here running routes again."

That would be great if he could play, because as I said, having Walker out there gives defensive coordinator just one more thing to think about.

broncosfanscott
11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't how productive Javon can be after missing that much playing time, however just having him on the field would give the Bears just one more thing to think about.

I am really glad to see that his knee is healthy and strong enough to practice on, yet I hope he doesn't push it too much.

omac
11-21-2007, 09:14 PM
THAT IS a big concern, but the way to beat the lb's killing jay is to throw a couple of screens. Maybe to hall- that man in opens space is definitely going to keep those lbs on their toes. i think hall is way faster then tbell,and a much much much tougher runner. Of course young and any wr would be fine for screens too. I am jsut worried about the bears powering through us with benson or AP #2.

Benson's been horrible this season. His YPC is bad; he doesn't break tackles well, often falling quick on contact; he needs good holes to run through, or he loses a lot of effectiveness. He's been easily outshined by Young and Hall. Their Peterson's not a great back, but he should be an upgrade. Also, their offensive line hasn't been doing great at run-blocking. We've faced a better rushing team in Tennessee. I'm more concerned with the sudden big plays, like a Hester TD return, or a deep TD pass to Berrian, which can happen anytime no matter how bad their offense looks. In that sense, Rex is an upgrade over Griese.

omac
11-21-2007, 09:20 PM

Fortunate for us that their run defense is nowhere near what it was last season; we should have good success running, and that should open up the pass. I wouln't recommend they play too many spread receiver sets; I'd rather have less receivers (or TEs) running routes, and more backs (or TEs) playing pass protection. Good thing for us, Urlacher is not 100%.

TXBRONC
11-21-2007, 10:08 PM
I am really glad to see that his knee is healthy and strong enough to practice on, yet I hope he doesn't push it too much.

That has crossed my mind as well.