PDA

View Full Version : Van Pelt among Texans' cuts

Tned
08-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Looks like he didn't make it. I wonder if he will catch on someplace else.

Van Pelt among Texans' cuts
Denver Post wire services
Article Last Updated: 08/26/2007 11:20:44 PM MDT

The Houston Texans cut former Colorado State and Broncos quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt, coach Gary Kubiak announced Sunday on the team's website.

Van Pelt played in three games for the Broncos in the 2005 season, completing 2-of-8 passes for 7 yards. He rushed 11 times for 48 yards and a touchdown - a 10-yard run on his first NFL play from scrimmage.

At Colorado State, Van Pelt was a two-time first-team all-conference selection. He passed for 6,165 yards with 37 touchdowns and 30 interceptions in his collegiate career.

The Texans also cut quarterback Quinton Porter; wide receivers Charlie Adams, another former Bronco, and Harry Williams; defensive tackles Thomas Johnson and Thomas Smith; tight end Ben

Steele and cornerback Derrick Roberson.
Falcons: Quarterback Mi- chael Vick is scheduled to formally enter his guilty plea to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge today in Richmond, Va., following the path of three co-defendants who have pleaded guilty.

In Vick's written plea agreement filed in federal court Friday, he admitted helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights. He said he did not personally place any bets or share in any winnings.

With negotiations between prosecutors and defense attorneys out of the way, all that's left is for U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson to accept the plea and decide how much time Vick will spend in prison, and for the NFL to determine the fate of Vick's career.

The NFL suspended him indefinitely and without pay Friday after his plea agreement was filed.

Merely associating with gamblers can trigger a lifetime ban from the NFL under the league's personal conduct policy.

If today's proceedings follow the pattern of Vick's three co-defendants, the quarterback's plea hearing will be brief, with the judge setting a sentencing hearing for late fall after a background report is completed.

The plea agreement calls for a sentencing range of 12 to 18 months. But Hudson, who is known for handing down tough sentences, is not bound by any recommendation or federal sentencing guidelines and could sentence Vick to as much as five years in prison.

Vick's plea will come hours before the Falcons play an exhibition game at home against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Jaguars: Former first-round draft pick Chris Claiborne signed, giving the team some much-needed depth at linebacker after backup Tony Gilbert was lost for the season.

The Jags also signed linebacker Kevis Coley and defensive tackle Joe Anoai.

The team placed Gilbert on injured reserve, three days after he tore his biceps against Green Bay. Jacksonville also placed rookie defensive end Brian Smith on the physically unable to perform list and waived kicker Aaron Elling.

Colts: Three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney bruised his right thigh during the Indianapolis Colts' 37-10 win over Detroit on Saturday night and isn't expected to play Friday at Cincinnati.

Panthers: Third-string quarterback Brett Basanez was placed on injured reserve, ending his season two days after he severely sprained his right wrist in a 24-7 preseason loss to the New England Patriots.

Basanez had been expected to back up Jake Delhomme and David Carr.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6727682?source=rss

anton...
08-28-2007, 08:34 AM
*on*

wow...

i never saw that coming...

*sarcasm off*

the dude flat out cant play at an nfl level...
________
MELROSE CAREGIVERS (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 08:54 AM
BVP would have change positions because he isn't going to make as quarterback in the N.F.L.

anton...
08-28-2007, 09:45 AM
BVP would have change positions because he isn't going to make as quarterback in the N.F.L.

i think he would make a wicked awesome towel dude!!

he runs quick!!

and although he cant throw the towels to actual players, its OK...

there are many to throw!!

:p
________
Park Royal 3 Condo Prathumnak (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

Bronco Bible
09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I cannot imagine anyone being surprised except the surprise of him lasting so long.:whoknows:

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 03:09 PM
...except that it was Mike Shahanan that drafted him....

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:24 PM
i think he would make a wicked awesome towel dude!!

he runs quick!!

and although he cant throw the towels to actual players, its OK...

there are many to throw!!

:p

Seriously I think Van Pelt might make good safety, he just not N.F.L. caliber quarterback.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:25 PM
...except that it was Mike Shahanan that drafted him....

True, but he was a seventh rounder and at that he was the second of two seventh rounder we had that year.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 03:31 PM
True, but he was a seventh rounder and at that he was the second of two seventh rounder we had that year.

It's still a miracle! :D

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:35 PM
It's still a miracle! :D

Yeah, but the guy does have good measurables for being a safety unfortunately for him he can't see that he wont be ever be a quarterback in the NFL.

Simple Jaded
09-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, but the guy does have good measurables for being a safety unfortunately for him he can't see that he wont be ever be a quarterback in the NFL.

I'll bet his agents on the phone with 32 GM's saying that exact thing!

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
I'll bet his agents on the phone with 32 GM's saying that exact thing!

If he wants to stay in the League that would be wise. :laugh:

ChampWJ
09-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Bad day for BVP with CSU losing and him getting cut. That sucks for him.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2007, 07:58 PM

So true, I think he would make a great TE, but he is stubborn and wants QB, or nothing, and it appears it will be nothing.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 08:11 PM
So true, I think he would make a great TE, but he is stubborn and wants QB, or nothing, and it appears it will be nothing.

Never thought about him being a tight end. He would have to put on serious weight to play the position. However, as a safety he could stay at his natural weight.

Anyway, yeah he's being very stubborn about it and its going cost him a chance to stay in the N.F.L.

omac
09-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, he could be the Lynch 2. Imagine if he becomes the best safety in the league? :Eek:

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-02-2007, 11:03 AM
charlie adams was also cut by the texans