PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Wants Stokley

ShaneFalco
04-15-2013, 08:31 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/15/4228360/nfl-news-rumors-hakeem-nicks-peyton-manning

When Wes Welker signed with the Denver Broncos in March, it seemed like a foregone conclusion that Peyton Manning's long-time slot receiver Brandon Stokley would not be back with the team. Manning, however, is hopeful that the Broncos will sign Stokley according to The Denver Post -- despite having Welker on the roster.

"Hope it's not necessarily a close-door discussion," Manning said. "In a perfect world I'd like both of them to be on the team this year."

ps. if any admin can correct stokely to stokley. thanks!

Davii
04-15-2013, 08:42 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/15/4228360/nfl-news-rumors-hakeem-nicks-peyton-manning

ps. if any admin can correct stokely to stokley. thanks!

Done.

I don't see why we can't bring him back. I think we could use both. Obviously his production would decrease significantly though....

ShaneFalco
04-15-2013, 08:44 PM
agree, would be nice to have in case someone gets injured, better to have stoke then to have caldwell.

Davii
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
agree, would be nice to have in case someone gets injured, better to have stoke then to have caldwell.

I don't think Caldwell will be with the team this year.

Joel
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I believe NFL minimum for 10+ year vets is $940,000 this year. Just something to consider: Even if, despite Welker, Denver wants a 37 year old slot WR back and he's willing to play cheap, it'd still cost us about a million dollars. If he thinks himself worth more (and he's said he'd consider other teams) we'd have to come up with that. I'm not saying it's a bad idea; he was very valuable in the clutch last year. It's just not as simple as whether we share his belief he's got another good year left in him.

SR
04-15-2013, 08:57 PM
I believe NFL minimum for 10+ year vets is $940,000 this year. Just something to consider: Even if, despite Welker, Denver wants a 37 year old slot WR back and he's willing to play cheap, it'd still cost us about a million dollars. If he thinks himself worth more (and he's said he'd consider other teams) we'd have to come up with that. I'm not saying it's a bad idea; he was very valuable in the clutch last year. It's just not as simple as whether we share his belief he's got another good year left in him.

Okay negative Nancy...what do you suggest for depth since you always have all the answers?

ShaneFalco
04-15-2013, 08:59 PM
well the good thing about stoke, is that he will only be looking for a 1 year contract most likely.

If we were to go to FA, multiple years and more money on our cap.

cmc0605
04-15-2013, 09:11 PM
I don't see why Stokley couldn't be productive. Sure, he's not the same guy he was 5 years ago, but why can't he be the same guy he was last year? (which was pretty darn productive).

A case could be made he was one of the best and most consistent slot receivers in football last year. He's always been clutch, and it was never his speed and crazy agility that made him that way. Brains, hands, and chemistry don't deteriorate nearly as fast as legs. Think of his great catch against Baltimore in the playoffs. He won't be able to do that 8 months later because of aging? Just because we have a better slot receiver, that means he can't make the team as a good #4? I'm not convinced.

I've heard the argument he can't do special teams. Okay, that's nice, I'm sure they can fit one guy on the roster to do the special teams duty.

TXBRONC
04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
There is little doubt that Welker will be Manning's primary receiver? Right. He's going to have huge role in the offense but I doubt he will be Manning's primary receiver.

Ziggy
04-15-2013, 09:53 PM
I've heard the argument he can't do special teams. Okay, that's nice, I'm sure they can fit one guy on the roster to do the special teams duty.

It's not that simple. Today's NFL is so specialized, that teams play more players per game than they used to. You just can't carry a 4th or 5th WR that doesn't contribute on special teams.

dogfish
04-15-2013, 09:55 PM

one advantage is the fact that welker does play special teams, even if it's just return units. . . that may allow them to get away with a #4/5 WR who doesn't play teams, if they're inclined to bring stokes back. . .

turftoad
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
It's not that simple. Today's NFL is so specialized, that teams play more players per game than they used to. You just can't carry a 4th or 5th WR that doesn't contribute on special teams.

Not only that but, what about a young guy they may really like? You have to keep building for the unknown and the future.
There are only so many roster spots.

Ziggy
04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
one advantage is the fact that welker does play special teams, even if it's just return units. . . that may allow them to get away with a #4/5 WR who doesn't play teams, if they're inclined to bring stokes back. . .

The only way Welker returns kicks here is if Holliday gets hurt, and even then it's very unlikely.

Joel
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
well the good thing about stoke, is that he will only be looking for a 1 year contract most likely.

If we were to go to FA, multiple years and more money on our cap.
That's a good point but, depending on what FAs we're considering, $1.5-2 million over 3 years may be better than $1 million for 2013. I have no idea either way, since my knowledge of available prices/players and how our cap looks is hazy (though I understood, correctly or otherwise, our cap space to be basically what Doom was slated to make before Faxgate.) Elway must decide though, and may not choose Stokley.

I don't see why Stokley couldn't be productive. Sure, he's not the same guy he was 5 years ago, but why can't he be the same guy he was last year? (which was pretty darn productive).

A case could be made he was one of the best and most consistent slot receivers in football last year. He's always been clutch, and it was never his speed and crazy agility that made him that way. Brains, hands, and chemistry don't deteriorate nearly as fast as legs. Think of his great catch against Baltimore in the playoffs. He won't be able to do that 8 months later because of aging? Just because we have a better slot receiver, that means he can't make the team as a good #4? I'm not convinced.

A month ago Lindsay Jones wrote a USAToday article about Stokleys non-retirement that concluded, "According to Profootballfocus.com (http://https//www.profootballfocus.com/), Stokley had the highest catch rate (80.4%) in the NFL when working out of the slot." http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/03/06/brandon-stokley-free-agent/1967569/

However, CBS had a piece on him at the end of the playoffs that conversely concluded, "Stokley was streaky in 2012, owning a couple of back-to-back games with a touchdown. When he wasn't scoring he had 62 yards or less in every game. In fact, he topped that mark just once all season. Your best bet is to pass on Stokley in 2013 drafts and consider him as a one-week option if he's back in Denver." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/133424/brandon-stokley

For my part, I agree with you he'll probably be about the same as last year, and the familiarity/comfort level he provides Manning is surely much of why our starting QB wants him back, just as it was much of why he so often went to Stokley in critical situations last year. He's still got that Rod Smith-like ability to find a gap for very soft hands that slot receivers need. The question is how often he can get on the field with Thomas, Decker and Welker, and whether that's worth $1 million or more.

Chef Zambini
04-16-2013, 01:26 AM
non-starters usually have to have value as special teams players.
can stoke return punts or kicks/
is he a long snapper, back-up punter/
maybe he can compete with os as the back-up QB?
... or we could move him to safety.

Dapper Dan
04-16-2013, 01:59 AM
He adds value as a veteran. He's a technically sound player. He's always in the right place at the right time. I think we can still field special teams without being forced to use our #4 WR.

aulaza
04-16-2013, 03:29 AM
I don't think Manning would be saying that he doesn't want Stokes back. Yeah sure, he's saying 'it would be nice', but ultimately its up to Elway et al. I don't know if they have to have WR4 playing ST. If they do, then I guess that discounts Stokes. If they don't, then I would imagine bringing him back would be a good idea. As for the CAP, the only player you'll get cheaper will be an UDFA (whether it be from this draft class or previous ones).

Joel, not sure how signing another FA to multiple years will be cheaper. As for our CAP room its at about 8-9 I believe. But bear in my mind they need to sign their rookies, plus have a little space to maybe resign/bring in guys after the draft.

Joel
04-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the update on the cap number; not too far from what I was thinking.

Other FAs MIGHT (or might not) be cheaper for several reasons. They might ask less, for one thing, though I doubt Stokley's asking much. Yet the CBA won't LET him take <$955,000 (the numbers I looked at earlier were a year old,) whether he wants to or not. Free agents with less time could accept, and thus cost us, less (e.g. rookie minimum is now $420,000, fourth year minimum $645,000.) Also, a multi-year deal would let us pay a signing bonus prorated per year, then pay most of the rest as non-guaranteed money in later years when we don't have $5 million of dead Doom money looming over our cap.

I'm not sure if/how much bonuses count toward NFL minimum wage, but if, for example, we signed a three year vet to three more years for $3 million we'd have to pay at least $645,000 as salary this year and $745,000 next year and $760,000 in 2015. Paying an extra $550,000 for the last two years (split however,) would leave a $300,000 signing bonus, 1/3 of which would count now. Net cap savings: $210,000 this year.

The total wouldn't be less, no; sorry if I implied that. THIS years cost would be less though, and the younger the player/longer the contract the greater the disparity. Again, I don't know who's out there, or whether any or all of a signing bonus counts toward minimum wage, but if the bonus DOES count we could theoretically get a third year player for half as much even if Stokley accepted league minimum.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/minimum-salaries-shoot-up-under-new-deal/

UnderArmour
04-16-2013, 07:32 AM
It's difficult to squeeze a backup slot receiver on the 53 man roster when there are better options that can play special teams. And if it's a choice between a draft choice and Stokely, I'd rather go with the young guy. I wouldn't mind us signing Stokely for training camp and preseason, cutting him, and then making him the "54th man" on the roster as Welker's backup. Obviously, expecting that kind of loyalty out of Stokely would be unreasonable if another team came to their senses and realizes he's still a darn good receiver.

TXBRONC
04-16-2013, 08:35 AM
I don't recall Willis play that much on special teams last year. To say Stokely couldn't play special team is not accurate. Would he be willing too? As far as I know he hasn't asked to do so and I don't if Denver would want a 37 year old receiver playing special team. I agree that being able to do more than one thing is helpful. Shanahan once that the more things a player can do the better his chances sticking around. That said, what did Trendon Holliday contribute to the the offense? Except for a few plays wtih offense in two different games he returned punts and kicks. Was it worth it for us basically to have him return punts and kicks? I would say yes it was. His mentoring was invaluable to the team last year.

The down side to bringing Stokely back is that it makes the receiving corp older and someone younger will not get a chance.

pnbronco
04-16-2013, 09:28 AM
I agree with Peyton....I want Stokley back too. It's totally personal but we want what we want.

TXBRONC
04-16-2013, 10:04 AM
I agree with Peyton....I want Stokley back too. It's totally personal but we want what we want.

I want you to want me.

weazel
04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
I think if Peyton had his way there would be nothing but receivers on this team lol

LTC Pain
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't want Stokely back. Time to move on with some youth.

CoachChaz
04-16-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't want Stokely back. Time to move on with some youth.

I agree...and I still think we need to draft one so we are prepared for the days when Welker and Decker are gone

pnbronco
04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
I want you to want me.

:redface: aweeee TX make me blush. You need to come to the next Tail Gate. Does it tell how old I am that I remember that song????

Simple Jaded
04-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Not all backups play ST's, give Stokley Lance Ball's roster spot and keep Hester in Ball's role. It's neither simple nor difficult, especially if it means Nate Ball is no longer with the team.

Dapper Dan
04-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Not all backups play ST's, give Stokley Lance Ball's roster spot and keep Hester in Ball's role. It's neither simple nor difficult, especially if it means Nate Ball is no longer with the team.

Maybe all backups SHOULD play ST. I'd like to see Oz earn his spot by making tackles.

Simple Jaded
04-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Maybe all backups SHOULD play ST. I'd like to see Oz earn his spot by making tackles.

Elway doesn't want Osweiler to play because he's his sons BFF.

Dapper Dan
04-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Elway doesn't want Osweiler to play because he's his sons BFF.

What a douche.

Simple Jaded
04-16-2013, 11:40 PM
What a douche.

I know, if I could talk to Elway I'd tell him to start Osweiler and bench Manning so I can see whether he wasted a 2nd round pick or not. I'd say it right to his face, too.

TXBRONC
04-17-2013, 06:44 AM
:redface: aweeee TX make me blush. You need to come to the next Tail Gate. Does it tell how old I am that I remember that song????

Nah good music is good music. I would love to come but getting away on the weekends isn't really do able right now. I do hope that in the next year or two my son and I will make up to Dove Valley to watch the practice.

ShaneFalco
04-17-2013, 02:13 PM
last year practice wasnt worth going to. was like 115 degrees and a million people there to watch manning, hopefully will be nicer this year

BORDERLINE
04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Bring back stoke, I have no issued with that we waste more money on players that don't contribute

Superchop 7
04-21-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm ok with a backup catching 80.4% and the ability to get a first down on 52% of his "targets."

I will plan for the future AFTER we win the Superbowl.

Ozzie

Simple Jaded
04-21-2013, 02:56 PM
last year practice wasnt worth going to. was like 115 degrees and a million people there to watch manning, hopefully will be nicer this year
So yer saying that the Broncos aren't worth watching in, like, 115 degree practice? Apparently, like, a million people disagree.