PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone feel that Jay Cutler came of age tonight?

Medford Bronco
11-19-2007, 11:45 PM
I have to say that tonight I was thorughly impressed Jay:salute:

I have been a critic at times but you were awesome tonight

16 for 21 for 200 yards and 2 tds and Marshall lost like 15 yards on one play.

He also had some drops. Martinez:confused:

I think our Qb grew up today and it and tonight was the first time I had fun watching Bronco football this year. Keep in mind, I do not see all the games in Boston. Also the wins vs Pitt, I was kinda watching you know a game 7 of the ALCS and I did enjoy it, but not as much as tonight.

tonight was a complete game win.

I still think the defense is shaky at times but we can win the West
potentially

very happy, hope for the best the rest of the year.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I think for Jay, tonight was a continuation of last week. Both weeks he just appeared to have a lot more confidence.

broncosfanscott
11-19-2007, 11:54 PM
He is getting better every week and helped us get back to back wins. Another 0 INT game dispite a close one at the end. So far this season there have been moments where I will get pissed over some of the decisions he makes, yet I didn't do that at all tonight.

Jay is maturing and becoming more of a leader for this team every game.

Good job Jay! I :salute: you on a fine performance.

Kapaibro
11-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Today I felt like I got to see the potential that Coach Shanahan drafted!

TXBRONC
11-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Today I felt like I got to see the potential that Coach Shanahan drafted!

Does that mean you will be putting a picture of him in your sig? :D

Kapaibro
11-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Does that mean you will be putting a picture of him in your sig? :D

Still not sexy to me! But kinda goofy cute!

Tned
11-20-2007, 12:09 AM

I think our Qb grew up today and it and tonight was the first time I had fun watching Bronco football this year. Keep in mind, I do not see all the games in Boston. Also the wins vs Pitt, I was kinda watching you know a game 7 of the ALCS and I did enjoy it, but not as much as tonight.

potentially

Actually, no. I think he played well, and he WON, which is all that matters. But, down the stretch he made some bad throws and didn't convert the 3rd downs that he did earlier in the game. I think he does get better every game, but I didn't see a big leap tonight, more like a few solid steps.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking him. I love the kid at QB, but he, Marshall, Scheff and some of the other youngsters are getting better each week, but still have a ways to go.

Watchthemiddle
11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Like someone else said, I also feel this is a continuation from last week. Not only for Jay, but for the entire offense.

Good game tonight and a complete game at that.

Medford Bronco
11-20-2007, 12:19 AM
Actually, no. I think he played well, and he WON, which is all that matters. But, down the stretch he made some bad throws and didn't convert the 3rd downs that he did earlier in the game. I think he does get better every game, but I didn't see a big leap tonight, more like a few solid steps.

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking him. I love the kid at QB, but he, Marshall, Scheff and some of the other youngsters are getting better each week, but still have a ways to go.

Tned I actually only saw one bad throw when up 34-20 with 3 min left
otherwise he was not put in a postion to Make plays as Shanny was grinding the clock.

I would love to have him made a throw or 2 more and there would not have even needed Golds pick at the end.

Just my take

jlarsiii
11-20-2007, 12:23 AM
You have to like the stat that ESPN threw up late in the game comparing Cutler to Elway through their first 15 starts. Cutler's numbers were a lot better across the board, and that is very encouraging.

underrated29
11-20-2007, 12:28 AM
i think he does well on the short to intermediate routes, but not the long ball so much. I think thats because he throws on the run and kinda floats it, which to me looks like it loses accuracy and is usually short or overthrown.

On that one pass to marshall for the endzone, where jay was on the move, a boot i think. If he would have just set his feet and lasered it 40 yards instead of a high arc floater, i think that would have been a td.

I remember watching elway do that a lot. He would throw the bomb pass, but on some of them instead of throwning on the move, he would stop and set his feet, but in doing so the ball would travel faster and more accurately and make up the time and then some that elapsed whilst setting feet instead of throwing on the move.

In time i think jay will learn to do the same, for now he is progressing nicely!

Poet
One game does not make a QB come off age.

Nice game by Cutler though.

omac
Anyone else notice the sportscasters saying at the start of the game that Jay has the 4th best 3rd down completion percentage in the league, behind only Brady, Manning, and Roethlisburger? (I think that's what he said). I've been impressed with his play way before this game. And it's great how the team got the win, with almost everyone playing real good; it would be silly to discredit VY with his team's loss this game.

Medford Bronco
11-20-2007, 12:31 AM

Its just a feeling King as he has been improving and seems much better to me.

Kinda like Carson did in the beginning of his 2nd year;)

Tned
11-20-2007, 12:39 AM
You have to like the stat that ESPN threw up late in the game comparing Cutler to Elway through their first 15 starts. Cutler's numbers were a lot better across the board, and that is very encouraging.

It's been said before, but it must be repeated. Even with all these injuries, Cutler has had a better team around him then Elway in '83/'84.

Tned I actually only saw one bad throw when up 34-20 with 3 min left
otherwise he was not put in a postion to Make plays as Shanny was grinding the clock.

I would love to have him made a throw or 2 more and there would not have even needed Golds pick at the end.

Just my take

I have to go back to give you specifics, becaues it is partially a feeling, but it would be the off target throw to Martinez that would have picked up a first down (granted, Martinez should have made a better play). It was the high pass that went over one Titan and short of another, way off target to the receiver. Earlier in the game the bootleg left where he threw to Marshall (I think) and the defender had a better play on the ball then Marshall. It's those type throws where he needs to make some of them better, and others he should never throw.

Right now, he believes he can make ALL the throws, and it is more times than not, leading to a lot of danger down field. Sort of like when a shortstop mashes a homerun and thinks he can hit it out every time. It seems like the couple long down field passes Jay had last year, have him a little over confident, and he has been making more bad downfield (40+ yard throws) than good ones this year, and that I haven't seen him really improve on yet.

As I said earliner, that doesn't mean I don't love him at QB, and would probably take him over everyone other than Brady or Manning as he is playing today.

Medford Bronco
11-20-2007, 12:44 AM
It's been said before, but it must be repeated. Even with all these injuries, Cutler has had a better team around him then Elway in '83/'84.

I have to go back to give you specifics, becaues it is partially a feeling, but it would be the off target throw to Martinez that would have picked up a first down (granted, Martinez should have made a better play). It was the high pass that went over one Titan and short of another, way off target to the receiver. Earlier in the game the bootleg left where he threw to Marshall (I think) and the defender had a better play on the ball then Marshall. It's those type throws where he needs to make some of them better, and others he should never throw.

Right now, he believes he can make ALL the throws, and it is more times than not, leading to a lot of danger down field. Sort of like when a shortstop mashes a homerun and thinks he can hit it out every time. It seems like the couple long down field passes Jay had last year, have him a little over confident, and he has been making more bad downfield (40+ yard throws) than good ones this year, and that I haven't seen him really improve on yet.

As I said earliner, that doesn't mean I don't love him at QB, and would probably take him over everyone other than Brady or Manning as he is playing today.

good analysis Tned :salute:

on your comment on Elways 83/84 teams
its like comparing apples and oranges.

the corners back then would kick the crap out of the Wrs
remember Lester hayes and MikeHaynes of Oak/LA
they made a living off of intimadation.

the 49ers with Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright. Same thing
Lott would be fined so much if he was playing in todays
game.

If Elway had todays NFL and Shanny as a coach at this
stage and not Dan I want to run it 45 times Reeves
and todays rules, his numbers would be better than
they were back then

Poet
11-20-2007, 12:45 AM

I am not familar with the Bronco teams of old, but Cutler is down a lot of talent on his offense right now, was the 83/84 teams that injured or depleted of offensive talent?

Wow Tned, that statement is extremely bold, and honestly a little puzzling. But that is not the topic at hand.

Day1BroncoFan
11-20-2007, 12:50 AM
I heard them say Jay had a QB rating of 137 in tonight’s game. Pretty good rating if you ask me. He's getting better. As time goes on he will become a truly great QB. I like what I see.

Great game tonight for the entire offense and defense.

There is still room for improvement on both sides of the ball.

Tned
11-20-2007, 12:54 AM
I am not familar with the Bronco teams of old, but Cutler is down a lot of talent on his offense right now, was the 83/84 teams that injured or depleted of offensive talent?

Wow Tned, that statement is extremely bold, and honestly a little puzzling. But that is not the topic at hand.

Probably should have further qualified my statement. When looking at the combination of current play and future possibilities, I would take Jay over all but Brady and Manning. If I was only looking at this year, there are some other QBs I would go with.

Watchthemiddle
11-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Probably should have further qualified my statement. When looking at the combination of current play and future possibilities, I would take Jay over all but Brady and Manning. If I was only looking at this year, there are some other QBs I would go with.

Over all, except Brady and Manning?? :confused:

Medford Bronco
11-20-2007, 12:57 AM

King it was a totally different game back then

the younger posters (not insulting anyone) do not remember
the league was intimidation. there were no worries of fines
etc. Wrs got smoked when going over the middle.

Elway did not exactly have a great o line either.

Watchthemiddle
11-20-2007, 01:00 AM
King it was a totally different game back then

the younger posters (not insulting anyone) do not remember
the league was intimidation. there were no worries of fines
etc. Wrs got smoked when going over the middle.

Elway did not exactly have a great o line either.

Med you are a stat man aren't you...or someone else should pull up how many times Elway got sacked in his career..year by year...if I remember correctly, the numbers were astounding earlier in his career...

Sorry...off topic...maybe a thought for a new thread.

Medford Bronco
11-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Med you are a stat man aren't you...or someone else should pull up how many times Elway got sacked in his career..year by year...if I remember correctly, the numbers were astounding earlier in his career...

I am a stat guy but I do not think pro-football reference
has that. If anyone knew where to find it I would be glad to post it.

Tned
11-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Over all, except Brady and Manning?? :confused:

Forgot about Palmer, who I would add to the above two. After that, when looking at current play, and future potential, I will take what I see of Cutler.

Romo, I am not sold on. He is way too early in his career and has had some big blowup games.

Big Ben, has shown flashes, but I am still not sure if he will be a good NFL starter, or a great one (I think Jay 'can' be great).

Rivers, Brees, Eli manning I all lump together as 'who knows'.

Hasselback, McNabb, Favre might be better options this year, but not when you also factor into a player for the future.

So, with all of that said, considering this season, and the future, I would take Cutler over everyone except Brady, Manning or Palmer.

Tned
11-20-2007, 01:10 AM

I pulled it up in the past. At one time, he was the career leader in sacks taken, and I want to say it was in teh 500 range. I might have posted about it on BM, I will take a quick look.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-20-2007, 01:11 AM
the problem with his long ball is he tries to gun them in while on the move and he waits a long time

look at bretts bombs or a similar player, if its a designed long pass it should be thrown fairly quickly with a good amount of air under it, jay just waits to long and thus underthrows hid recievers.

if he lets some of those go a second or two sooner its a completion and maybe a TD, he will learn in time, he had an excellent game tonight :beer:

Tned
11-20-2007, 01:13 AM
I pulled it up in the past. At one time, he was the career leader in sacks taken, and I want to say it was in teh 500 range. I might have posted about it on BM, I will take a quick look.

Ok, I didn't find where I posted it, but I did find it posted by someone else:

Most Times Sacked, Career
516 John Elway, Denver, 1983-1998

I know within a few years after his retirement, he was still number one in being sacked by a good margin. Most of those came before the Shanny era.

Watchthemiddle
11-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Forgot about Palmer, who I would add to the above two. After that, when looking at current play, and future potential, I will take what I see of Cutler.

Romo, I am not sold on. He is way too early in his career and has had some big blowup games.

Big Ben, has shown flashes, but I am still not sure if he will be a good NFL starter, or a great one (I think Jay 'can' be great).

Rivers, Brees, Eli manning I all lump together as 'who knows'.

Hasselback, McNabb, Favre might be better options this year, but not when you also factor into a player for the future.

So, with all of that said, considering this season, and the future, I would take Cutler over everyone except Brady, Manning or Palmer.

Gotcha....phew..at first I thought you were saying you would take him over everyone..to include Brady and Manning.

Watchthemiddle
11-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Anyone remember the stat they posted tonight about Jay in his 15 games throwing from outside the pocket?

It was a pretty good stat.

Day1BroncoFan
11-20-2007, 01:17 AM
Anyone remember the stat they posted tonight about Jay in his 15 games throwing from outside the pocket?

It was a pretty good stat.

Outside the pocket he has a 125 QB rating.

Watchthemiddle
11-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Outside the pocket he has a 125 QB rating.

I remember that...actually thought it was higher.

And wasn't it something like 11 Td's and only 2 Int's?? :confused:

I was also trying to remember if they showed his att/comp also.

( Sorry was watching it while at work or I would have written it down)

Medford Bronco
11-20-2007, 01:26 AM
I remember that...actually thought it was higher.

And wasn't it something like 11 Td's and only 2 Int's?? :confused:

I was also trying to remember if they showed his att/comp also.

( Sorry was watching it while at work or I would have written it down)

I think it was 33 for 55 for 12 tds and only 2 picks

I could be wrong but that is what my small brain remembers :laugh:

lex
11-20-2007, 01:43 AM
I dont know if he came of age but whatever it was I liked it. And if he continues to play like that and hopefully improve still, I think he gives us a chance to win against most teams.

And its kind of amusing that people are poking holes in his game. Its almost as if were already numb to what we have. The guy makes tons of throws almost no one in the league can make and he does it pretty routinely.

But in my opinion, he wont come of age until he has a big win in the post season.

WAB
11-20-2007, 01:44 AM
I think he's been playing this well for a while.......

TXBRONC
11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

Since you don't follow the Broncos I don't expect you to know this, but Jay has had more than one nice game. :ranger:

Medford Bronco
11-20-2007, 08:55 AM
I think he's been playing this well for a while.......

Pretty well WAb but last night I just felt like he
was more confident (I did not see last weeks game
so I can comment on that)

Just my take. I felt something different
I felt we would get Tds and not FGs etc.

Nomad
11-20-2007, 08:59 AM
He showed up to prove he was better than Young! He did a great job last night!

Mike
11-20-2007, 09:02 AM

No, I agree. He looked more comfortable and poised. He had a couple of bad throws and made a couple of bad decisions. But what QB doesn't do that? Maybe he didn't come of age tonight...but he is growing into a good QB and, maybe more importantly, a leader.

Bronco Bible
11-20-2007, 09:40 AM
I was very critical of Cutler a few weeks ago, now I tip my hat to you Jay:hat:

TXBRONC
11-20-2007, 07:15 PM

What you saw last night was a continuation of how he was the week before.

Tned
11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
No, I agree. He looked more comfortable and poised. He had a couple of bad throws and made a couple of bad decisions. But what QB doesn't do that? Maybe he didn't come of age tonight...but he is growing into a good QB and, maybe more importantly, a leader.

The part we can't see, and where he may have come of age, is if he is becoming more of a leader. I believe it was Rod Smith on the sideline report that said he had told Jay he had to become the leader of the team, not just the offense, and he rose to the challenge, or something like that. There have also been several news stories that have talked about the same thing.

So, if he did take a big step forward in that department (which is really hard for the fans to see) then he may very well have come of age.

Uncle Buck
11-20-2007, 10:28 PM

potentially

Yes he did, Med. But, more importantly, the young "rebuild" component of the team is coming of age! There is still *hope* for this season! :salute:

Stargazer
11-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Come of age tonight? I don't think so. He's just progressing as a starter in his first real season.

Just think of all the collosal busts out there and the teams who are hampered by poor QB play. Denver has a young QB who is progressing and becoming better with each game played. What more could you want from a young QB? Overall, he's heading in the right direction. It's the one position that gets all the praise or venom in american sports. Fans should be happy with how he's turning out so far. And, hopefully there is a lot more and bigger things to come.