PDA

View Full Version : Elway: Picking 28th This Year Like Picking 10th

OrangeHoof
04-14-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22071400/john-elway-picking-28th-just-as-good-as-10th-

So, give it your best guess. Who are we taking? Are we moving up, down or staying put?

My hopeful pick would be staying at #28 and taking LSU ILB Kevin Minter. We need a tough run-stuffer and I think Minter fills the bill well.

topscribe
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22071400/john-elway-picking-28th-just-as-good-as-10th-

So, give it your best guess. Who are we taking? Are we moving up, down or staying put?

My hopeful pick would be staying at #28 and taking LSU ILB Kevin Minter. We need a tough run-stuffer and I think Minter fills the bill well.
Would love to see that, but I don't think he'll be there . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2013, 01:08 PM
It's not who the Broncos will select in the first round of the NFL draft that excites Front Range football fans. It's the anticipation of who they might draft.

Take this time last year when there was slight hope that defensive tackles Dontari Poe or Michael Brockers might slide to the Broncos, or the team would pounce on running back Doug Martin.

The Broncos wound up trading back and selecting Derek Wolfe, who turned out to be a prudent choice. The hype leading into the pick, though, was far greater than the selection. Few had heard of Wolfe until the Broncos drafted the Cincinnati defensive tackle in the second round at No. 36 overall.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23021288/broncos-john-elway-says-this-years-nfl-draft

Lancane
04-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Right now I am at an impasse on the damn pick, I am hoping Bjoern Werner falls to us, but lately I have had a gut feeling that they could pull zinger and take Eddie Lacy, who's stock has fallen and Lacy could find his way into the top of the second. Trufant and Te'o are both options as well, though I am not sold on Te'o, there is no arguing that he is a talented football player, despite the question marks about the scandal. Desmond Trufant I had pegged as the Broncos' top target till recently, with the need at halfback and at defensive end, I see them focusing on the BPA there before elsewhere.

I am hoping that Werner is there, especially given the recent climbers...if not, I have to go with Lacy as the pick, he fills a bigger need then Trufant or Te'o do and is a better graded talent then either of the other two, not to mention it would surprise the hell out of other teams salivating on Lacy falling to the top of the second round. It makes too much sense and that bothers me, because I am struggling with my mock regarding this pick, I also have a scenario where Baltimore trades up from 32 with Denver to get the wide receiver they want, with Denver getting an additional fourth round pick, in which case I still see Denver being able to take Lacy or Trufant, maybe even Te'o.

Simple Jaded
04-14-2013, 07:46 PM
I know it's hard to get people excited about the 28th and lower picks but it's literally impossible for the 28th pick to be as good as the 10th in any draft.

BroncoWave
04-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I know it's hard to get people excited about the 28th and lower picks but it's literally impossible for the 28th pick to be as good as the 10th in any draft.

Huh? You have late draft picks who wind up being better than first rounders every single year.

Really re-think that post you just made. Not your smartest one.

Simple Jaded
04-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Huh? You have late draft picks who wind up being better than first rounders every single year.

Really re-think that post you just made. Not your smartest one.

You have 10th overall picks that turn out pretty well too, but that's not the point. Having the 10th overall gives you far more options, it's literally impossible for 28 to be the same or "be like picking" at 10.

Jsteve01
04-14-2013, 09:41 PM
I get what you're saying Jaded perhaps if you'd added that in the first post.

Simple Jaded
04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I get what you're saying Jaded perhaps if you'd added that in the first post.

I'm trying to keep posts as short as possible, my gift to the rest of ya.

broncohead
04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I think we will draft DE first. There are a few options available at that spot Moore, Werner, and Carradine. One will be there at 28. With 3 MLB's on the roster I don't see the FO considering it a need. I also think Denver wants a bigger RB imo. Someone like Lacey or Bell. Adding depth in the later rounds at DB and OL

Chef Zambini
04-15-2013, 01:39 AM
elway and the broncos have demonstrated they will not draft a guy they have not met and researched!
if they do not covet any of the players in the last handful of the first round they will trade down.
we need a middle LB, a runningback and perhaps a DL and a safety.

the broncos have already identified guys to fill those roles, in each of the rounds they select.
Now they will just manuever to get them.
it is NOT a BPA strategy;
it is "which guys can best fill our needs" strategy.
They have a window of opportunity with PFM, it is only prudent that they find guys who can fill holes to help us win NOW !

aulaza
04-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Don't see a trade up as I'm not sure who they would want to trade up for.

Trade down much more possible, but it depends on how things pan out.

Personally I wouldn't be enthralled by a LB with our number 1, would rather a pass rusher. I'm a little less high on Werner now than I was though.

broncofaninfla
04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
I think this is the first draft that I haven't nailed down a favorite hopeful pick.

TXBRONC
04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
For those that think mike linebacker is a hole fill their actions speak differently. They have talked abut three guys on the roster that are going compete for the starting mike linebacker spot (Irving, Bradley, and Johnson.) So I don't middle linebacker is seen as top priority. I think passer rusher will be at the top of the list.

There are two different ways of BPA.

1. You can draft bpa regardless of postion.

2. You can draft bpa within a particular position.

The difference is one is targeted and the other is not. Elway and Fox say they draft bpa and unless knows exactly how they have stacked their draft then you're speaking from a position of ignorance.

OrangeHoof
04-15-2013, 10:55 AM
We all speak from a position of ignorance unless we are inside the Broncos braintrust. But if that were the qualifier for posting here, there would be darned little discussion.

CoachChaz
04-15-2013, 10:58 AM
While the assumptions will likely be that I am bias, I'll say my favorite right now would be Moore. Despite the need, I like the fact that he will have a big brother on the team that will motivate and mentor him to be successful.

turftoad
04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
While the assumptions will likely be that I am bias, I'll say my favorite right now would be Moore. Despite the need, I like the fact that he will have a big brother on the team that will motivate and mentor him to be successful.

I hope you're right. I like Moore also. 18 solo tackles for loss and 11solo sacks as a Sr. The guy can get up the field.

CoachChaz
04-15-2013, 11:23 AM
I hope you're right. I like Moore also. 18 solo tackles for loss and 11solo sacks as a Sr. The guy can get up the field.

Yep. But he does have his flaws. If you watch the Cotton Bowl, he was pretty much owned by Lane Johnson. 5 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 QB pressure.

I think in the right situation, he could develop like Michael Johnson has for Cincy.

TXBRONC
04-15-2013, 01:02 PM
We all speak from a position of ignorance unless we are inside the Broncos braintrust. But if that were the qualifier for posting here, there would be darned little discussion.

If Elway says the Broncos draft bpa then to contridict that is with absolutes that seems a bit more ignorant to me. I seriously doubt the conversation would end without people speaking as what though what they say gospel truth.

Lancane
04-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Two things I could see with Moore, either someone will pull the trigger too early (possibly Denver) or he'll fall, his draft grade has slipped due to questionable if not porous workouts, not to mention the questions about his off the field issues. From a football standpoint Moore has a high motor and has the talent to be an elite defensive playmaker, but he looks (on a personal level) more like a draftee that Cincinnati (sorry King) or Oakland would covet, even possibly Baltimore more then the Broncos.