PDA

View Full Version : Clock Management Follies

Medford Bronco
11-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Clock Management and why certain coaches hang themselves with how bad they are.

Case in point, yesterday Brian Billick had a chance to basically run the clock down further before having a Matt Stover kick a potential game winning FG
with 26 seconds Left in the 4th quarter of the eventual 33-30 loss to Cleveland.

Why on Gods green earth would you not run the football with 35 seconds left and if you do not get it, use your own Banked time out. Its not like they are worth anything when not using them.

Then he has the audacity to kick to Joshua Cribbs and he returns it to the 46 yard line.

Billick really missed the boat on this one. Anderson moved the Browns into position before one of the craziest plays in sports that I have ever seen.

The 51 yard FG that Dawson hit, clanged off of the left upright and richocet off the back support bar and then back onto the field. It reminded me of a hockey goal when someone scores so quickly that the ref might miss it. The refs got it correct and deserve credit for that.

Then you knew that destiny had a huge hand in this game and Cleveland drove down for the game winning FG by Phil Dawson.

The moral of the story is that if the Ravens (Brian Billick) had an idea of clock management and ran the ball, most likely Cleveland never gets the chance to tie and eventually win this game.

The Browns were very mentally tough to overcome the odds and deserved to win.

Over the years there have been many many instances of teams with bad clock management.

Who that is old enough can not forget the famous Miracle in the Meadowlands on November 19, 1978 (:laugh: funny that was 29 years ago today) when Philly beat the NYGiants when Joe Pisarcik tries a handoff to Larry Czonka where off all people Herm Edwards picks it up and returns it for a TD to win.

Herm Edwards is generally as a coach, one of the worst clock managers in the game today. Mike Martz when a coach with St Louis was pretty bad as well.

Who also can forget when the Eagles played the Pats in the Super Bowl in Jan 2005 with Donovan McNabb basically taking his time trailing 24-14 in the game.

He was huddling up and do not have a clue in that game about the time factor. Eventually they scored but had no time left to try to win the game. It was almost comical. Andy Reid should have been grilled on that one IMO.

John Madden once said (and I agree with him) that there should be a clock management coach on each team. Why not the NFL is so specialized and it could not hurt could it. It might have saved the Ravens yesterday and maybe let them get back on track and possibly make a playoff run. Now they are in big big trouble and they can thank Brian Billick for that.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-20-2007, 09:32 AM
you can add to that the couple timeouts taken by denver last night, those cost us 10 points on their own.

Mike
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
you can add to that the couple timeouts taken by denver last night, those cost us 10 points on their own.

I don't think so.

1) Shanahan was trying to ice the kicker. You win some and you lose some...you take the good with the bad. The Tenn kicker said that the whistle disrupted his kicking routine on the first kick.

2) The TD by Young was a TD. It should have been ruled a TD. Nevertheless, Shanahan didn't call the TO. Webster did because the defense was not right. He saw a vulnerabillity and didn't want to give up a TD.

Even if you want to say they were mistakes, they were not really clock management follies.

SBboundBRONCOS
11-20-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't think so.

1) Shanahan was trying to ice the kicker. You win some and you lose some...you take the good with the bad. The Tenn kicker said that the whistle disrupted his kicking routine on the first kick.

2) The TD by Young was a TD. It should have been ruled a TD. Nevertheless, Shanahan didn't call the TO. Webster did because the defense was not right. He saw a vulnerabillity and didn't want to give up a TD.

Even if you want to say they were mistakes, they were not really clock management follies.

sure they were, TD or no TD they wouldnt have had a chance to review it. plus im not sure why the TO stood, no whistles, no signals, no nothing, didnt even look like they tried to stop the play. still a follie in my book, and i never said that they were both shanny follies, just clack management mistakess

and honestly was there any need to ice the kicker in the 2nd Quarter. its not a big pressure situation that if he makes it they win if they miss it they lose, but it just showed why they will change that rule come the offseason

Retired_Member_001
11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Good first article Med.

Clock management is very key. What you shouldn't do however, is start trying to run the clock down mid second quarter with a mere 10 point lead like Shanahan has done several times. :laugh:

Medford Bronco
11-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Good first article Med.

Clock management is very key. What you shouldn't do however, is start trying to run the clock down mid second quarter with a mere 10 point lead like Shanahan has done several times. :laugh:

Thanks Wookie, I appreciate it.

I want to be creative and have a diffrent perspective on things.
Its hard to come up with new ideas. I just had to rack my small pea sized brain to come up with this :laugh:

All the BF writers to a great job (Not speaking of my writing, everyones but mine, I let everyone judge it for themselves)

Medford Bronco
11-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Herm Edwards exhibt A

In what's becoming a trend around the league, Kansas City's Edwards called a time out to decide whether to challenge a ruling on the field (in this instance, spotting of the ball). He lost the challenge, meaning he burned two timeouts at once.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ajv988YSwBbLcP3KsXFgMTrhMMQF?slug=ja-winnerslosers112507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Bronco Bible
11-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I saw the Herm Edwards gaf, I'm sure glad he's at KC :laugh::rofl: