PDA

View Full Version : Players ARE buying in

rcsodak
08-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Nothing easy for new Broncos coach McDaniels
by Alex Marvez
Alex Marvez is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com. He's covered the NFL for 14 seasons as a beat writer and is the president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo - The summertime smog that forms over downtown Denver has drifted to the southeast.

The dark cloud is now settled squarely atop Broncos headquarters.

Denver fans are still stunned by the April trade that sent star quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago. Replacement starter Kyle Orton has struggled in two preseason games. Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall was suspended for insubordination Friday following his temper tantrum at a recent practice. And at least so far, 32-year-old Josh McDaniels hasn't justified his wiz-kid billing as the replacement for longtime Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan.

The gloom and doom has reached a crescendo with Cutler returning to Denver for Sunday night's preseason game.

"You hear about all the Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall stuff," Broncos defensive end Kenny Peterson said after Friday's practice. "Watching the news, that's all they talk about."

Yet if you listen to Peterson and other Denver veterans, the skies are clearing. In fact, some players believe the sun is already shining along Broncos Parkway despite what from the outside seems like a dreary preseason.

"You definitely feel the negativity, but it's different in here," Denver cornerback Champ Bailey said. "We feel so confident in this locker room. We've got issues we've got to work out as far as Brandon and things like that, but it doesn't stop us from working and getting ready. We're going to keep on pushing."

McDaniels would have it no other way.

As a Bill Belichick disciple in New England, McDaniels' attempt to minimize the Cutler and Marshall fallout is no surprise. During a Friday news conference, McDaniels insisted that the ongoing problems with Marshall aren't a distraction for the Broncos and reinforced the point that one individual isn't above the entire team.

"When we came here, we made a lot of decisions to change some of the things that were in place," McDaniels said. "We feel good about where we're at going forward. This (Marshall situation) doesn't mean anything in terms of what our season is going to be like or what our players are going to do on the field starting in September."

FOX Fantasy Football
Play FOX Fantasy Football for Free!

Free Features Include:
* Live Draft Application
* Expert Analysis
* Real-Time Scoring
* Research Tools

Free Draft Guide

To prove such talk isn't spin, McDaniels must mend fences with Marshall or find a way to replace the 100-plus catches he provided the past two seasons. Marshall, who was suspended for the rest of the preseason, became at odds with Broncos management when his pitch for a big-money contract was denied. Marshall then demanded a trade like Cutler did after his relationship disintegrated with McDaniels and team owner Pat Bowlen.

The thought of Denver entering this season without Cutler or Marshall on the field was once unfathomable. With both players just 25 years old, Cutler and Marshall were the cornerstones for a team whose biggest problems last season were defense and a head coach who had outstayed his welcome.

McDaniels, though, alienated Cutler with his trade interest in New England quarterback and protégé Matt Cassel, who instead landed in Kansas City. Cutler was then able to force his way out of Denver by refusing to return messages left by McDaniels and Bowlen.

Trying to replace Cutler with Orton — a pedestrian player during four seasons in Chicago — was considered a risqué move. Orton's shaky preseason play hasn't changed that view. He debuted with three first-half interceptions at San Francisco.

Orton was much improved last weekend against Seattle but that 18-for-26 passing performance was overshadowed by a major gaffe destined for an NFL bloopers special. A left-handed toss into the end zone was not only intercepted. It showed a horrendous lack of judgment — something the Broncos can't afford with an overhauled defense that may need time to gel under new coordinator Mike Nolan.

McDaniels was asked whether his handling of Cutler and Marshall have tarnished the franchise's once-proud image. His response: "For one or two instances to stereotype an entire group of men as a certain type of guy or organization is dead wrong."

It now falls upon that group to show McDaniels is right.

As McDaniels tries to implement a Patriots-style methodology, Broncos players have experienced a much different offseason and training camp than under Shanahan. A slew of veteran free agents were signed. A first-round pick was used on a running back (Knowshon Moreno) for the first time since 1985.

McDaniels implemented more player rules and tried to reward those who bought into his team-first philosophy. For example, the 10 closest parking spots at team headquarters are reserved for the top participants in the offseason workout program.

"When you get on the field, guys genuinely like each other," said Peterson, who landed one of those spaces. "Any time you put that into the equation, you have fun and you get things done."

Bailey, who has spent six of his 11 NFL seasons in Denver, said this was his toughest preseason yet — and he missed the first several days of practice.

"I haven't been in full pads as much my whole career," Bailey said.

McDaniels, too, has apparently come across much better behind closed doors than in his dodgy media appearances.

"The guy is better than I ever expected," Bailey said of New England's former offensive coordiantor. "It's ridiculous all the ins and outs he knows about the game. He's a year older than me and he acts like he's been around for 40 years."

A strong performance against the Bears or winning the Sept. 13 regular-season opener at Cincinnati would help buck the negative perception of the 2009 Broncos. But while stating he wants "people to feel good about us," Bailey also added that such adulation "really doesn't matter."

Wide receiver Brandon Stokley agrees.

"We don't need to beat our chests and say, 'Hey, we're not going to be a bad team like everybody thinks,'" Stokley said. "We feel like we have a lot of talent. We're just going to go out and play."

After a stretch like this, that's all the Broncos can do to get out of the haze.

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Who cares what those players think. They don't have stronger arms than John Elway.

NightTrainLayne
08-30-2009, 02:30 PM
This morning on the way to church I had it on Sirius NFL. They were interviewing Frank Schwab from the Colorado Springs Gazette. He made a lot of interesting points along the same lines as this article.

He said that there was "no doubt" that nobody in the locker room was on BM's side. That the players were very positive and liked McDaniels.

It was about a 12 minute interview, so I can't remember it all. But for the most part, from the player's perspective it was positive according to Schwab.

Northman
08-30-2009, 02:33 PM
This morning on the way to church I had it on Sirius NFL. They were interviewing Frank Schwab from the Colorado Springs Gazette. He made a lot of interesting points along the same lines as this article.

He said that there was "no doubt" that nobody in the locker room was on BM's side. That the players were very positive and liked McDaniels.

It was about a 12 minute interview, so I can't remember it all. But for the most part, from the player's perspective it was positive according to Schwab.

Yea, but according to some on here NTL the players wont say anything negative about McDaniels (even though Bmarsh has been positive with McD) because they worry about being traded or punished. Its as if players in general will never say anything bad and that Brandon and Jay are the logical guys to ever put on a Broncos uniform that know what every other player on the roster is thinking but arent saying. :lol:

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 03:52 PM
I can hardly wait for the Doogie haters to show up for this thread..

Personally I can't find much fault with him so far..

He is teaching sound solid football..

Line up smack them in the mouth football..

opposed to country club flag football..

time for those who think that the game was super stud can only win a game and find out 11 are better than 2-3..

It took a team for John to win a Ring.. we all saw what happened when it was John against the niners, and skins..

and most of the fans were scared to death of Farve and the packers those that are truthful will tell you most thought it was going to be another embarrassment..

almost NO ONE was believing what happened till the final gun.

Tempus Fugit
08-30-2009, 04:03 PM

time for those who think that the game was super stud can only win a game and find out 11 are better than 2-3..

It took a team for John to win a Ring.. we all saw what happened when it was John against the niners, and skins..

and most of the fans were scared to death of Farve and the packers those that are truthful will tell you most thought it was going to be another embarrassment..

In defense of the "Doogie haters", do you really expect anyone in that locker room to say anything negative at this point?

Northman
08-30-2009, 05:07 PM
In defense of the "Doogie haters", do you really expect anyone in that locker room to say anything negative at this point?

Why not?

This goes to my exact point 2 posts ago about if guys like Jay and Brandon can be outspoken than why not anyone else? Do you really believe a guy like Brian Dawkins is worried about what McDaniels MIGHT do if he disagreed with something? Champ? Bailey has proven throughout his career (see Wash) he isnt shy about telling the FO he is unhappy. I still find it funny that so many people think that there is no possible way that this team is buying into McDaniels system. I think the thing that should be noted is that the two guys who have the biggest problem happen to have personal issues that have been pointed out long before McDaniels even took over the reigns. People were talking about Jay's poor attitude the last couple of years. Brandon's issues go all the way back to his college days. Its also a proven fact that Shanahan had gotten soft on his players and babied guys like Jay and Brandon. So is it really a shock that when things dont go their way that those two particular individuals pout and create a media frenzy in the process? I dont think so. My concerns with both of those guys were there long before McDaniels came in.

Tempus Fugit
08-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Why not?

This goes to my exact point 2 posts ago about if guys like Jay and Brandon can be outspoken than why not anyone else? Do you really believe a guy like Brian Dawkins is worried about what McDaniels MIGHT do if he disagreed with something? Champ? Bailey has proven throughout his career (see Wash) he isnt shy about telling the FO he is unhappy. I still find it funny that so many people think that there is no possible way that this team is buying into McDaniels system. I think the thing that should be noted is that the two guys who have the biggest problem happen to have personal issues that have been pointed out long before McDaniels even took over the reigns. People were talking about Jay's poor attitude the last couple of years. Brandon's issues go all the way back to his college days. Its also a proven fact that Shanahan had gotten soft on his players and babied guys like Jay and Brandon. So is it really a shock that when things dont go their way that those two particular individuals pout and create a media frenzy in the process? I dont think so. My concerns with both of those guys were there long before McDaniels came in.

I don't expect them to talk negatively about the coaches or front office because I expect the players to self-police at this point. One thing that Parcells/Belichick tree teams learn quickly is to keep quiet. Those players who can't do that tend to end up elsewhere.

I'm not saying that players are lying when they pimp the new regime. I'm just saying that I wouldn't expect to hear anything in the opposite direction, except from a Marshall type of player.

Simple Jaded
08-30-2009, 05:42 PM

Gimme a break, Jr, the players were talking the same shit for the last decade and half, as always you promote everything you believe as Gospel.

The players in that locker room couldn't possibly think any other way now that this article has apparently proven otherwise.......how convenient.......

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Why not?

even tony Scheffler was acting out when his name was "supposedly" on the block..

gee what happened to him ?

Right now he looks like the #2 TE and if he could block better he just might be #1..

I do not remember hearing anything out of him negative..

Think Hillis might have had a reason to be pissed also when his name was put out there..

What the hell did he do came in and worked so hard and looked so good there was talk about the broncos thinking they may have made a mistake with taking Moreno..

there are right ways to speak up and wrong ways and I'd bet that 75+ players are letting their play do the talking..

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Gimme a break, Jr, the players were talking the same shit for the last decade and half, as always you promote everything you believe as Gospel.

The players in that locker room couldn't possibly think any other way now that this article has apparently proven otherwise.......how convenient.......

glad to see your your negative self .. and you must being feeling good today that jay might be able to beat us..

Then you will be able to say I told you so..

Sorry your so bitter about whatever it is..

FWIW I start a lot of threads that I do not agree with..

check it out..

http://broncosforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1080291

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2009, 06:06 PM
It's nice to read some refreshing stuff instead of doom and gloom all of the time.

I was thinking about leadership today and a coach can only do so much. With Dawkins and Champ on D that is two proven leaders. You get those two to buy into what's happening others will follow. We have heard Orton is a tremendous team guy in CHicago and now here in Denver. He has bought in, others will follow.

Say what you want about decisions that have been made over the past 6 months as far as personel goes with McDaniels, but I think over time ( if not already ) we are going to see his football I.Q shine.

Simple Jaded
08-30-2009, 06:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish

As long as we're supposed to believe everything we read, here is this from Rick Reilly.......

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2009, 06:18 PM

As long as we're supposed to believe everything we read, here is this from Rick Reilly.......

Thats old news and the BIG difference between that article and the one in this thread is the sources are actually quoted with names. It's a little bit more credible when you list the names. ;)

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 06:19 PM

there is a thread about it..

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52434

go wallow in the junk you will like it..

Simple Jaded
08-30-2009, 06:37 PM
there is a thread about it..

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52434

go wallow in the junk you will like it..

I'm just pointing out your obvious hypocrisy when it comes to how you promote the Gospel.......

Simple Jaded
08-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Thats old news and the BIG difference between that article and the one in this thread is the sources are actually quoted with names. It's a little bit more credible when you list the names. ;)

Bullshit, it had been written, therefor it is Gospel.......