PDA

View Full Version : Do you like or find irritating players and coaches being called stupid names?

Tned
08-30-2009, 12:21 PM
This isn't about rules, which is why it isn't in Town Hall, but I'm wondering who likes/dislikes the names: Mickey Mouse, McDumass, Cut-n-run, Slowitt, etc.

So, what's your opinion about people slamming players/coaches with 'nicknames' in their discussion?

Italianmobstr7
08-30-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't like it. I don't like it when people do it to teams either (dolts,chefs,faiders). I think they're all dumb, but that's just my opinion.

Hobe
08-30-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it, but those clever names usually get old pretty fast.

MOtorboat
08-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Retarded, to put it nicely.

Fan in Exile
08-30-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't like it. I don't like it when people do it to teams either (dolts,chefs,faiders). I think they're all dumb, but that's just my opinion.

I would agree with your opinion.

frauschieze
08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Ultimately, I don't care one way or the other, but some of the derogatory names get to me after a while. I think it's more of the extreme pessimism of certain posts though, rather than the names themselves. If a name has a positive connotation (I view Doogie as a positive one, he was a good doc ;)), then it doesn't seem as grating.

Tned
08-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Yea, Doogie was probably a bad example (I drew a blank when I was trying to come up with examples), since most of the time I have seen it used was in positive posts.

Nomad
08-30-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm guilty of doing it from time to time especially in politics, but I try to refrain from doing it. Just like cussing shows ignorance of the fact, I believe name calling does as well. So I'm ignorant from time to time:D

Mike
08-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't like it and think it is immature, but I don't really care. Everyone should have the choice to act stupid. :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I'll be the first to admit - I am a HOMER - therefore, I do not like it when someone who says they are a Broncos fan, does it in regards to ownership, coaches (past or present), or a player (past or present) on the Broncos. Does not bother me if a fan of another team does it.

OrangeHoof
08-30-2009, 02:58 PM
If I'm joking around, I call him "McDiapers" as a way to remind some people that Boy Genius is just a few years removed from puberty and hasn't accomplished squat on his own.

When it comes to serious conversations, I don't use it.

I don't normally use such nicknames on players because most of them get enough abuse as it is and most are emotionally stunted by being treated like jocks all their lives.

Tempus Fugit
08-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't mind it. What's far more important is the mindset of the person behind it. The name just allows you to know what to expect in the post.

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 03:35 PM
I always found typing in mikey easier than Shanahan..

I know some folks were irritated with it but that was his name I also did a$$hley, poorti$$ more to get folks to think about what money grubbing punks they were..

AS I felt fans were putting the players before the team..

as for calling new coach Josh instead of MCD I find it easier to type also..

could be because I had friends that were mike and Josh..

for the rest of the haters comments calling them names I voted #3..

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 03:37 PM
If I'm joking around, I call him "McDiapers" as a way to remind some people that Boy Genius is just a few years removed from puberty and hasn't accomplished squat on his own.
When it comes to serious conversations, I don't use it.

I don't normally use such nicknames on players because most of them get enough abuse as it is and most are emotionally stunted by being treated like jocks all their lives.

actually he has he has become the Head Coach of the Broncos at 32..

he may not stay there but being accomplished does not mean you have to win a Nobel prize to be a success..

Tned
08-30-2009, 03:38 PM
I always found typing in mikey easier than Shanahan..

I know some folks were irritated with it but that was his name I also did a$$hley, poorti$$ more to get folks to think about what money grubbing punks they were..

AS I felt fans were putting the players before the team..

as for calling new coach Josh instead of MCD I find it easier to type also..

could be because I had friends that were mike and Josh..

for the rest of the haters comments calling them names I voted #3..

Other than the fact you manged to turn Mikey into a bad word ;), the poll was meant more in the clearly derogatory names, not nicknames like Shanny, McD and other shortened names. Like many called Heimerdinger, dinger, just because it was shorter and easier to spell, where dingbat or dinglerod or Heimerdimwit would have been the kind of names I was referring to.

MOtorboat
08-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Other than the fact you manged to turn Mikey into a bad word ;), the poll was meant more in the clearly derogatory names, not nicknames like Shanny, McD and other shortened names. Like many called Heimerdinger, dinger, just because it was shorter and easier to spell, where dingbat or dinglerod or Heimerdimwit would have been the kind of names I was referring to.

McDumbass comes to mind...

topscribe
08-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Meh, I consider it a waste of time, but it doesn't particularly bother me. :coffee:

-----

girler
08-30-2009, 04:14 PM
It depends on how clever it is I guess. And then the more repetitive it is, the older it gets- especially for MY team. Though I must admit that I started calling the 49ers the WhinyNiners after the snowball incident, and that still slips out- So maybe 20 years is a bit long on that one... :confused:

BroncoWave
08-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I usually don't mind, but the posters who include nothing but the word "McDumbass" in all of their posts usually show how stupid they are instead of how stupid our coach is. So I don't mind if others do it, if people want to make themselves look stupid and immature, more power to them.

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 04:23 PM

I see the idea here..

but Mikey turn his name into a bad word I just used it alot..

and my mommy washed my mouth out with soap for doing it also..:D

BroncoBJ
08-30-2009, 04:51 PM
I think its cute at 1st but after a while it gets old. I just call them what they are. But If McDaniels goes for it on like 4th and 9 from our own 35 yardline in a reg season game this year, Then I'd call him McDumbass. Or if we start out like 6-0, then I'll call him McGenious and that I'm McLovin it.. etc...

But I wouldn't call him a name every day. Only on occasion. :elefant:

Lonestar
08-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey I really wanted Spagnola thought we needed D also.. and then referred to him as Mc kid just because I knew NOTHING about him..

now that I hear him talk I really think we have a pretty knowledgeable guy that seems to have been born for this..

sneakers
08-30-2009, 05:03 PM
As long as they are clever and make me laugh, I don't care.

skycoyote
08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Ya you guys, quit calling John Elway a goat.

Tned
08-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Ya you guys, quit calling John Elway a goat.

lol, there was a time when I didn't know what that meant, and couldn't figure out why Elway and Rice were goats. :lol:

MOtorboat
08-30-2009, 05:07 PM
lol, there was a time when I didn't know what that meant, and couldn't figure out why Elway and Rice were goats. :lol:

Rice was a goat because he was a 49er. :listen:

:coffee:

Northman
08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Doesnt really phase me. I think it gets a bit tedious but usually that is because the certain posters who use it everytime are complete morons anyway. But, using it here and there while debating doesnt bother me. The good news is ive been on this site long enough now to weed out the weak when it comes to what i determine to be quality posting.

Tned
08-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Rice was a goat because he was a 49er. :listen:

:coffee:

I thought it was cause Shanny coached him ;)

MOtorboat
08-30-2009, 05:12 PM
I thought it was cause Shanny coached him ;)

Shit happens.

Simple Jaded
08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Personally, I find the whining about it to be far more disruptive to a discussion, the fact that the stupid names are only admonished if they're towards McDaniels or Bowlen is just as big of a ****ing joke as the stupid names themselves.

Names like "Poopie pants" and "*edit**ler" are not only allowed but encouraged, but "Doogie" is grounds for a world-class temper tantrum.......

Tned
08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Personally, I find the whining about it to be far more disruptive to a discussion, the fact that the stupid names are only admonished if they're towards McDaniels or Bowlen is just as big of a ****ing joke as the stupid names themselves.

Names like "Poopie pants" and "*edit*ler" are not only allowed but encouraged, but "Doogie" is grounds for a world-class temper tantrum.......

Sorry, but this post is full of shit, since I included a Cutler example in the original post.

Simple Jaded
08-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Sorry, but this post is full of shit, since I included a Cutler example in the original post.

I don't care what YOU included, the double standard exist, whether you think it's full of shit or not.......

Tned
08-30-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't care what YOU included, the double standard exist, whether you think it's full of shit or not.......

I don't think, I know. I am 'known' as a McDaniels hater by all of the McDaniels lovers, and I created the thread, so you are wrong.

Some people welcome attacks on Cutler, but not everyone.

skycoyote
08-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh come on, lighten up. When McDaniels first got here I must admit some of the names where quite clever and funny. My favorite one was McSummers Eve--cause he's a douche. lol

Simple Jaded
08-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think, I know. I am 'known' as a McDaniels hater by all of the McDaniels lovers, and I created the thread, so you are wrong.

Some people welcome attacks on Cutler, but not everyone.

You THINK there is no double standard, I KNOW there is, and I respectfully disagree that the fact that a so-called McDaniels hater started this particular thread does anything to change the perception that it's open season on the McDaniels Nicknames and the Cutler/Marshall/Anybody that gets sideways with McDaniels Nicknames go unchallenged.......

Tned
08-30-2009, 06:52 PM
You THINK there is no double standard, I KNOW there is, and I respectfully disagree that the fact that a so-called McDaniels hater started this particular thread does anything to change the perception that it's open season on the McDaniels Nicknames and the Cutler/Marshall/Anybody that gets sideways with McDaniels Nicknames go unchallenged.......

That's nonsense. The fact that most people have turned against Cutler, means that there are far fewer Cutler supporters than 6 months ago, but it isn't a double standard. That's ridiculous.

Even with the lopsided love for McDaniels vs. love for Cutler/Marshall, there are FAR more people using nicknames for McDaniels than Cutler and Marshall combined.

FanInAZ
08-30-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm not a hater of anybody. I'm willing to get McD a chance to prove that he can be a good coach. I was willing to give Cutler and Marshall second chances. Unfourtuately, they didn't want them. They then became so disruptive to the team that they had to be handled in a decisive manner.

If Marshall comes back from supension and starts acting like a team player, then I have no problem with them extending his contract. If he doesn't, then he has to be made an example of in order to deter this in future players.

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I could care less...but its funny how you have a poster say "mickey mouse" about the coach and then want to call other posters childish. :rolleyes:

skycoyote
08-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I just watch the game. Can you say Mickey Mouse. Special Teams looked good though. Even Rodney Harrison was dogging McDaniels for trading a franchise QB away. Oh well its over now. We should be in good position to get a quarterback in April.

TXBRONC
08-30-2009, 10:37 PM
This isn't about rules, which is why it isn't in Town Hall, but I'm wondering who likes/dislikes the names: Mickey Mouse, McDumass, Cut-n-run, Slowitt, etc.

So, what's your opinion about people slamming players/coaches with 'nicknames' in their discussion?

I think we keep seeing the fruits what happens when people have to continually bash players and coaches. Eventually other people get fed up with it and pushes back.

SM19
08-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I find most of the derisive nicknames to be pretty juvenile and not at all clever. I won't say they're not useful, though; if a poster considers "Cut-n-Run" or "McDumbass" to be the pinnacle of wit, I can be pretty sure that I won't miss anything if I don't finish reading their post.

Northman
08-30-2009, 11:43 PM
I just watch the game. Can you say Mickey Mouse. Special Teams looked good though. Even Rodney Harrison was dogging McDaniels for trading a franchise QB away. Oh well its over now. We should be in good position to get a quarterback in April.

Sounds like your still not coping well. Maybe you should take some time off.

NameUsedBefore
08-30-2009, 11:47 PM
To quote Jefferson, it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

BCJ
08-31-2009, 02:24 AM
i would never want to stop the nay sayers from ripping our coaching staff because I know I did it when Slowick was our defensive coach.

sneakers
08-31-2009, 02:27 AM
To quote Jefferson, it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

Is one of those supposed to be good?

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 07:05 AM
I could care less about the name calling. In fact it can be a good thing because as soon as I see someone put effort into creating some shildish crap like that, I can stop reading their post immediately and sqave myself time.

Dirk
08-31-2009, 08:05 AM
It is childish at times and humorous at other times. I could care less most of the time.

The thing I can't stand is when people start the name calling and hoping that the Broncos will fail just so they can say...I told you so.

Just support the team where it is and where it is going. Jeesh...

pnbronco
08-31-2009, 11:31 AM
I would have to say it's get old pretty fast. On the other hand I now realize that it's a great clue to stop and move on. (So it's takes me longer to figure these things out....:confused:)

skycoyote
08-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Speaking of name calling what ever happened to Lex? I miss his humorous posts.

Nature Boy
08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Speaking of name calling what ever happened to Lex? I miss his humorous posts.

He's been booted because his views on the Cutler/Mcdanials' fiasco is not conforming to the forum. If you're not sipping the coolaid, you're not wanted.

No worries, in about 2 months, everyone collectively will be vomiting out that vodka laced coolaid calling for McDanials' head.

Dreadnought
08-31-2009, 01:19 PM
He's been booted because his views on the Cutler/Mcdanials' fiasco is not conforming to the forum. If you're not sipping the coolaid, you're not wanted.

No worries, in about 2 months, everyone collectively will be vomiting out that vodka laced coolaid calling for McDanials' head.

I would have deleted this post for calling out Mod actions, but will leave it in place because you need to get called out.

Forgive the language, but thats Horseshit. Pure horseshit. Lex got booted because he couldn't or wouldn't refrain from insulting any poster he disagreed with despite repeated warnings to knock that crap off.

We tolerate pretty much any viewpoint that is expressed respectfully. Mine, you may note, is different from other Mods regarding the course this franchise is on. Its not exactly sunshine and roses.

Lex decided to pretend he is a martyr to free speech rather that knocking off the repeated snotty personal attacks, and he liked to pretend that we banned him over the content of his posts. Rubbish. In the end he refused to follow the rules, and he refused to be accountable.

pnbronco
08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Dread you are so right. We have had different opinions but you are always been really respectful in the way that you have stated it and I've developed a lot more respect for you. I know at the end of the day we are both fans and that's all that really matters.

PS you still owe me that Early Bird Dinner...;)

Day1BroncoFan
08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
I voted that I don't like it but others doing it is OK.

I do it with other teams but assumed you meant with the Broncos since this is in Broncos' talk forum.