PDA

View Full Version : Backup QB coach

Superchop 7
04-09-2013, 11:31 PM
John Madden suggested that if he were a head coach in this era he would have 2 QB coaches, one for the starter, one for the backup. Interesting Idea, what say you?

chazoe60
04-09-2013, 11:36 PM
Our backup is so terrible it wouldn't matter who we hired to coach his ass he'd still be pathetic. WAR Nick Foles!!!!!!

Superchop 7
04-10-2013, 12:00 AM
His best performance came against the Buccaneers in early December, as Foles threw for 381 yards and two TDs, completing a streak of three straight starts without an interception.

Joel
04-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Preposterous; I have it on good authority developing more than one QB simultaneously is logistically IMPOSSIBLE. Who is this "Madden" person, anyway? :tongue:

In all seriousness, it sounds like a good idea; coach salaries don't count against the cap, and with $9 billion in revenue split between 32 teams who can "only" spend $120 million apiece everyone (except the Jags) can spare investing a few million/year for something that would pay large eventual returns. Coaches only have so much time and attention to split between so many QBs before the benefit to any of them diminishes to practically zero, but a second QB coach could go over game and practice tape with one QB while the other pair are out on the practice field. Of course, there's still only one first team offense to practice with either.

Potential downside: QB COACH controversy. If one coach turns a guy into a perennial Pro Bowler, do you leave them together as he gets older, or swap him over to a lesser coach now that he needs less help, and have the guru groom his replacement? Gotta think that would get a little awkward, training a guy with the express purpose of replacing the guy you molded into the team leader, or watching some lesser light take the reins of a guy you made a star.

Simple Jaded
04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
I've been saying that for years. Have a backup coach at most positions and carry the right amount of players to practice the ones vs the ones and two's vs the two's. That way you get twice as much value out of those 14 padded practices and twice as many reps at each position.

Dapper Dan
04-10-2013, 02:24 AM
John Elway is the back up QB coach.

sneakers
04-10-2013, 05:42 AM
I am the backup QB coach

Dapper Dan
04-10-2013, 06:35 AM
I am the backup QB coach

We need another backup QB coach to push you and in case you don't work out. You may be THE quarterback coach one day and we need to know you're proven.

MOtorboat
04-10-2013, 07:06 AM
How is the team going to get him the on field reps he needs so that Zam can make his approval?

TXBRONC
04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Preposterous; I have it on good authority developing more than one QB simultaneously is logistically IMPOSSIBLE. Who is this "Madden" person, anyway? :tongue:

In all seriousness, it sounds like a good idea; coach salaries don't count against the cap, and with $9 billion in revenue split between 32 teams who can "only" spend $120 million apiece everyone (except the Jags) can spare investing a few million/year for something that would pay large eventual returns. Coaches only have so much time and attention to split between so many QBs before the benefit to any of them diminishes to practically zero, but a second QB coach could go over game and practice tape with one QB while the other pair are out on the practice field. Of course, there's still only one first team offense to practice with either.

Potential downside: QB COACH controversy. If one coach turns a guy into a perennial Pro Bowler, do you leave them together as he gets older, or swap him over to a lesser coach now that he needs less help, and have the guru groom his replacement? Gotta think that would get a little awkward, training a guy with the express purpose of replacing the guy you molded into the team leader, or watching some lesser light take the reins of a guy you made a star.

Tell me what team is trying develop three or four quarterbacks right now? :coffee:

sneakers
04-10-2013, 07:26 AM
We need another backup QB coach to push you and in case you don't work out. You may be THE quarterback coach one day and we need to know you're proven.

A backup to the backup QB coach? good idea

sneakers
04-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Tell me what team is trying develop three or four quarterbacks right now? :coffee:

Jon Gruden

Chef Zambini
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
this moron "madden" seems to think the back-up QB is important?
ludicrous
stupid
absurd.
just watch and learn, Mr, back-up.
we dont need no stinkin coaches!

"young man, this is how you hold the clipboard"
'try to find a helmet with a green dot"