PDA

View Full Version : '13 Fantasy Baseball

Buff
04-08-2013, 12:23 PM
A guy in my league has offered me Jared Weaver for Madison Bumgarner.

I'm kind of inclined to say no since Bumgarner has looked awesome this year and Weaver is already dealing with some sort of an injury. But I'm considering it.

Any thoughts?

CoachChaz
04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
I'd get more info on the Weaver injury. If he's fine, I do it

Buff
04-08-2013, 07:34 PM
The guy sweetened his deal. He is now offering Weaver, 2B Neil Walker and David Ortiz for Bumgarner and Donovan Solano (who is nothing but a mediocre 2B prospect for MIA at this point).

On the surface, the trade almost looks like a no-brainer for me... But I'm worried that maybe Weaver's elbow and Walker's back are worse than advertised. Or - the injury concerns could be overblown and he is pressing the panic button too early, in which case I could score some major value for cheap.

MOtorboat
04-08-2013, 07:45 PM
The guy sweetened his deal. He is now offering Weaver, 2B Neil Walker and David Ortiz for Bumgarner and Donovan Solano (who is nothing but a mediocre 2B prospect for MIA at this point).

On the surface, the trade almost looks like a no-brainer for me... But I'm worried that maybe Weaver's elbow and Walker's back are worse than advertised. Or - the injury concerns could be overblown and he is pressing the panic button too early, in which case I could score some major value for cheap.

Format (Number of teams/Rotisserie or Weekly) and stat categories?

Buff
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Format (Number of teams/Rotisserie or Weekly) and stat categories?

20 team league - Head to Head each category. 22 stat categories - 10 offense, 10 pitching, 2 fielding.

My 2B is Scutaro and Solano. I could definitely use the offensive upgrade... But I just traded away CJ Wilson, and my other #1 starter is Hammels, so I'm a little weary of giving up a surefire ace in Bumgarner who is set to have a career year... But on the flip side - the guy is handing me a ton of value. Basically 3 Top 150 players for 1 in return... With Solano being a bit of a wild card.

I feel like he is panicking... But I could also see a scenario where Walker's back problems come back and Weaver falls off... And maybe Solano turns into a solid everyday player.

MOtorboat
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
I do this.

Assuming, it's pretty standard categories, ERA, W, WHIP, etc.
You're getting fairly identical pitchers:
From 2010-2012, Bumgarner has a 3.23 ERA with a 1.193 Whip, and a.545 winning percentage.
From 2006-2012, Weaver has a 3.24 ERA with a 1.144 Whip, and a .662 winning percentage.

Strikeouts averaged per year:
Bumgarner 156
Weaver 160

Plus, you get rid of a scrub position player and replacing him with Walker who is a solid second baseman and Ortiz, who can fill a utility slot, and should hit 30 home runs or so.

Seems like a win for you. Sounds like you've got a guy willing to do whatever it takes to buy Bumgarner. If anything, I might counter with a fourth player, just to see if he bites.

Buff
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
So I accepted it. And then learned Jered Weaver is out 4-6 weeks today. And Walker is like 0-20 to start the season after dealing with back issues last season.

Having some buyers remorse. But hopefully it will still pan out in the long run if Weaver is healthy for the 2nd half and Walker pulls his head out. Bumgarner is a potential Cy Young candidate though, so we'll see.

MOtorboat
04-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Tell me you at least tried to counter to get someone else...

Buff
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Tell me you at least tried to counter to get someone else...

I looked at it, but there wasn't anyone that would have made a lot of sense. I could have gotten one of his outfield prospects, but they wouldn't have cracked my roster. Same goes for his relief pitchers.

I still don't feel horrible about it because I get 3 Top 150 players in exchange for 1 - but a little pissed that all the reports yesterday said there was no break... I am also a little concerned about Walker's slump - if he doesn't pull it together then I probably screwed myself.

MOtorboat
05-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I hate it when guys send you ambiguous "what do you want for 'x' player?" trade emails. I usually piss them off by telling them to make an offer and I'll consider it.

I'm not setting the market for a player you want from my team. Send me a trade and I'll think about said trade.

Dapper Dan
05-19-2013, 04:06 PM
The same guy I did the Fielder/Choose trade is offering me Matt Harvey, P, Mets for Matt Carpenter, IF, Cardinals.

I checked yesterday. Choo was beating Fielder in all categories except for RBIs. And their HRs were tied.

MOtorboat
05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
The same guy I did the Fielder/Choose trade is offering me Matt Harvey, P, Mets for Matt Carpenter, IF, Cardinals.

I checked yesterday. Choo was beating Fielder in all categories except for RBIs. And their HRs were tied.

Don't weigh the success of the Choo trade while factoring this deal...

That said, TAKE THE OFFER AND RUN QUICKLY...(assuming you're getting Harvey)

Dapper Dan
05-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Don't weigh the success of the Choo trade while factoring this deal...

That said, TAKE THE OFFER AND RUN QUICKLY...(assuming you're getting Harvey)

I done did.

I needed pitching. And the dude is 5-0. I guess he just needs an infielder pretty bad.

Yeah. I wasn't factoring Choo in. I'm just happy that so far it isn't the disaster I thought it would be.

Buff
09-30-2013, 08:54 AM
I won my 20-team fantasy baseball league for $500.

Buff
09-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Just read back through this thread and for the 2-3 people who might pretend to care:

So I accepted it. And then learned Jered Weaver is out 4-6 weeks today. And Walker is like 0-20 to start the season after dealing with back issues last season.

Having some buyers remorse. But hopefully it will still pan out in the long run if Weaver is healthy for the 2nd half and Walker pulls his head out. Bumgarner is a potential Cy Young candidate though, so we'll see.

David Ortiz finished the year as the #10 Player overall. So this trade ended up making my team this year. This guy totally panicked. Even better yet, I ended up packaging Walker and Weaver in a different deal that got me Scherzer.

The difficult part will be trying to select 2 keepers for next year out of Jose Bautista, David Ortiz, Ian Desmond, Max Scherzer and Jose Fernandez.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Just read back through this thread and for the 2-3 people who might pretend to care:

David Ortiz finished the year as the #10 Player overall. So this trade ended up making my team this year. This guy totally panicked. Even better yet, I ended up packaging Walker and Weaver in a different deal that got me Scherzer.

The difficult part will be trying to select 2 keepers for next year out of Jose Bautista, David Ortiz, Ian Desmond, Max Scherzer and Jose Fernandez.

Just off the top of my head, Bautista and Scherzer.

Buff
09-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Just off the top of my head, Bautista and Scherzer.

Yeah, I'm sort of sick of Bautista's shit though. He's missed the last month or two of the season for 2 years in a row now. He's basically a ~.250 hitter. I was almost leaning towards Scherzer/Fernandez. I have a man crush on Jose Fernandez. My league counts a ton of pitching categories, he finished as a top 10 SP as a rookie, and has so much upside. But on the other hand, it's so hard to replace Bautista's power.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I'm sort of sick of Bautista's shit though. He's missed the last month or two of the season for 2 years in a row now. He's basically a ~.250 hitter. I was almost leaning towards Scherzer/Fernandez. I have a man crush on Jose Fernandez. My league counts a ton of pitching categories, he finished as a top 10 SP as a rookie, and has so much upside. But on the other hand, it's so hard to replace Bautista's power.

I'm just leery of Fernandez.

MOtorboat
09-30-2013, 10:42 PM
If you're done with Bautista, I'd probably go Desmond.