PDA

View Full Version : Broncos defense still searching for answers in NFL Draft

Denver Native (Carol)
04-07-2013, 08:27 PM
As the Broncos continue to grind through the NFL Draft meetings as the selection weekend approaches, they have largely done what work in free agency they're going to do until they see how their draft class shakes out.

But the question of whether or not they have repaired their biggest dilemma on defense is still indeed a question that will need some attention among their current slate of six picks later this month.

Until the meltdown against the Ravens in the double-overtime loss in the playoffs — 31 points and 479 yards allowed on defense to go with one sack on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco — the Broncos had shown immense improvement on that side of the ball compared to any and all of their recent seasons.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22974888/broncos-defense-still-searching-answers-this-draft

Chef Zambini
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
• Opposing tight ends and running backs caught 153 passes for 1,407 yards and 14 touchdowns combined against the Broncos defense this past season. Those totals accounted for 47.7 percent of the receptions the team allowed, 39.5 percent of the passing yardage and 56 percent of the passing touchdowns.

• The opposing tight ends alone accounted for 81 receptions for 948 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Read more: Broncos defense still searching for answers in NFL Draft - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22974888/broncos-defense-still-searching-answers-this-draft#ixzz2PtAmbfM4
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook
I asked the querstion last year, Who is going to cover the TE and backs on passes/
my knee jerk adversaries told me to ****.
demanding my silence did not fix the problem.
offenses will ALWAYS avoid your strengths and attack your weaknesses, thats called a 'GAMEPLAN"
lastr year, we were better against the run than I thought wer would be.
Our defensive liability continues to be covering TEs and the slot receiver (RB)

Lancane
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
This is your typical opinionative hoopla article at best, but it makes sense regarding several moves the Broncos have made this off-season. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will be given the chance to reset his value in the NFL with the Broncos and in my honest opinion should he prove himself to the team come the end of the season they'll then slap the franchise tag on him. This is likely Bailey's last year in a Broncos' uniform, he'll be due 9 million come next season and it's a walkaway year for both him and the team, unless he restructures for a lot less, but more then likely this is his last chance for a Lombardi Trophy as a member of this team. DRC has a chance to become his replacement, but also I fully expect Denver to draft someone they believe can challenge at either and be a starter come next season while learning the ropes behind this unique tandem.

I disagree with the article about Denver searching for a middle linebacker, the answer to this was in the article itself. I'll explain, it went somewhat in depth about Stewart Bradley and his ability to cover the middle in the pass game, but Bradley isn't slated as the starter...Nate Irving is. Funny thing about Irving is that most on this board consider him an outside linebacker, but that was his alternate position, he was drafted because he was an inside linebacker first and foremost. Don't get me wrong, he knows how to get in the backfield and disrupt the offensive backfield...what some fans may not realize is that Irving was a major factor in North Carolina State's pass defense, in 2008 he led the Wolfpack with 4 Interceptions, a team best that season, but he was never allowed to really find a steadfast position due to his coordinators moving him around because of his athletic ability. Denver is concerned about their pass defense in the middle, but I don't see them drafting someone despite what the columnist thinks, as I said it looks like the answer was in the article to begin with because why they added Bradley, did not re-sign Brooking, etc. We'll see soon if I am right or wrong...

We already know the Broncos are and were looking heavily at corners and safeties, so I think none of us will be surprised to see a couple defensive backs drafted, Mike Adams is an UFA after the season, they need someone back there to eventually replace him, if not beat him out to start the season. So a lot of what is said in the article is not a real shocker. My concern is that columnist seemed to believe that another pass rusher was of little or no importance on the grander scale, granted Denver didn't look hard at pass rushers before the combine, since then Del Rio and his contingent have gone to Pro Days for some of the more prominent defensive programs, like Alabama, Florida State and so forth. At this point it's anyone's guess, but the Broncos are not being as transparent as they usually are.