PDA

View Full Version : NE at it again. Up 35-7 in the 3rd on the 5 yard line, they go for it on 4th and 1 :D

Tned
11-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Good 'ole pats. They are up big, Buffalo is nowhere near getting back in the game, and with 4th and 1 on the 5 yard line or so, up by 35-7, NE lines up in Shotgun and Brady floats a nice ball for 7 (which is KILLING me in my money FFL by the way since the other guy has Brady and Watson :mad:).

I know a lot don't like it, but NFL players are not paid to start 'holding on' to their lead in the third quarter. Not that it will ever come to it, but net points are one of the tie breakers.

Beyond that, Brady has a TD record to shatter, so I for one like the fact they keep the pedal to the medal until the game is over.

BaiLeY324
11-18-2007, 10:24 PM
I think it's hilarious

Tned
11-18-2007, 10:25 PM
I think it's hilarious

The other guys are payed a lot of money, time for them to man up and stop the pats.

Cleveland Rocks
11-18-2007, 10:27 PM
No honor, no dignity.

One of these days they will play against somebody who will return the favor (dignity wise) and lay in a good one on Tom Brady in "garbage" time.

Tned
11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
No honor, no dignity.

One of these days they will play against somebody who will return the favor (dignity wise) and lay in a good one on Tom Brady in "garbage" time.

Well, as soon as a team mans up and actually stops them, then I guess we might see that. Until then, we will just see teams, coaches, fans and reporters wine about it.

Broncos Mtnman
11-18-2007, 11:06 PM
A couple of things....

Tell me the last time points scored was the tiebreaker used for a team to make the playoffs.

You'd have an arguement if there was a team or two that was within striking distance of having the same record, but there isn't anyone.

If you're going for records, have the guts to say so, instead of this "we're just trying to win the game.

I wonder if they are going to think it's such a good thing when someone like Moss or Brady get themselves hurt while running up the score on one of those 4th and whatever plays.

What goes around comes around. A payday is coming for their lack of sportsmanship.

Watchthemiddle
11-18-2007, 11:25 PM
A couple of things....

Tell me the last time points scored was the tiebreaker used for a team to make the playoffs.

You'd have an arguement if there was a team or two that was within striking distance of having the same record, but there isn't anyone.

If you're going for records, have the guts to say so, instead of this "we're just trying to win the game.

I wonder if they are going to think it's such a good thing when someone like Moss or Brady get themselves hurt while running up the score on one of those 4th and whatever plays.

What goes around comes around. A payday is coming for their lack of sportsmanship.

I was thinking that same thing when they came out up 42-7 still in shotgun throwing the ball on 1st down.

Not that I wish an injury on anyone, but this is getting rediculous. We all get that you ( patriots ) are a good team, but have some class about it.

Tned-Mobile
11-18-2007, 11:32 PM
A couple of things....

When the NFL implements a mercy rule like in softball, then we can talk, until then, i think it is better than Shanny trying to run out the clok in the 3rd quarter.

Medford Bronco
11-18-2007, 11:37 PM
When the NFL implements a mercy rule like in softball, then we can talk, until then, i think it is better than Shanny trying to run out the clok in the 3rd quarter.

I have to agree with you Tned,

it did not bother me tonight as they basically ran the ball the last 10 min or so with Cassell and Heath Evans.

Teams need to stop them and not worry about this crap.

Its scary how good they are, really..
Buff is not a bad team at all.

imagine next weeks line at home vs an average
Eagle team that struggled to beat Miami
today

I say NE minus 19 over Philly :jaw:

Broncos Mtnman
11-19-2007, 12:15 AM
I was thinking that same thing when they came out up 42-7 still in shotgun throwing the ball on 1st down.

Not that I wish an injury on anyone, but this is getting rediculous. We all get that you ( patriots ) are a good team, but have some class about it.

Exactly!! :salute:

Broncos Mtnman
11-19-2007, 12:26 AM

Comparing what Billy's been doing to Shanny's questionable playcalling isn't the same thing tned.

We're not talking about trying to protect a one or two score lead.

Clearly, the Pats are out to rub everyone's nose in it. If they want to, that's fine.

It doesn't change the fact that it shows a total lack of sportsmanship, not to mention the risk of injury I mentioned.

Tned-Mobile
11-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Comparing what Billy's been doing to Shanny's questionable playcalling isn't the same thing tned.

We're not talking about trying to protect a one or two score lead.

Clearly, the Pats are out to rub everyone's nose in it. If they want to, that's fine.

It doesn't change the fact that it shows a total lack of sportsmanship, not to mention the risk of injury I mentioned.

I was pointing out the extremes of h two coaches. two years ago, when the broncos were jumping out to hig firt half leads, they would strt trying to kill the clock in the 3rd, and sometimes 2d quarter. t backfired several times.

Simple Jaded
11-19-2007, 01:14 AM
I have no problem with the Patriots killer instinct.

Actually I have to admit to being thoroughly jealous.

Maybe someday the Broncos will be able to score more than one TD in the second half of a game.

The Patriots are unbelievable...I hate their offense, but it's unbelievable......

BroncoBJ
11-19-2007, 01:49 AM
I think the Bills got what they deserved. :salute:

Next up on the list is the Eagles.
I love watching them run up the score. The other teams should just stop them.
No need to complain and moan. If you have a problem then stop them.

This is comical how good the Pats are.
They are the best team I've seen.

And I agree Charlie. They might just lose next year during the regular season but thats pushing it :eek:

Wouldn't it be funny if Denver played them in the AFC Championship game and Brady had a horrible game and we ran it up on them? lol

But The Bills need to stop them.
Thats all there is to it.

If they kicked the FG then they would be running it up.
If they go for it then they are running it up.

Perhaps they shoudl take a knee on 4th down.

SR
11-19-2007, 02:35 AM
I think it's awesome.

BroncoBJ
11-19-2007, 04:12 AM
I think it's awesome.

Nice :salute:

I love it when people realize what it is.

Learn to stop them.

If I was a coach I'd take time off the clock on every play.
I'd do what the Chiefs did today.

Lose the game but at least kill time with horrible management :lol:

SR
11-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Instead of everyone whining like girls, take it for what it is. We are first-handedly witnessing the most prolific offense the NFL has ever seen. Take every chance you get to watch this team play, because you won't see another one like it for some time.

Mike
11-19-2007, 08:19 AM
I think it is pathetic and classless. Just because you can do it doesn't mean that you should or that it is right. :tsk:

SR
11-19-2007, 08:30 AM
I think it is pathetic and classless. Just because you can do it doesn't mean that you should or that it is right. :tsk:

I think that's backwards. It isn't their fault that their competition stinks, but it is their fault that their team is that good. If I were the Patriots, I'd want to pound every team in the league in to the ground. No one can beat them and they want to make sure all of their future opponents know they don't stand a chance, because it's true. I've never been able to say that about any team my whole life.

Mike
11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I think that's backwards. It isn't their fault that their competition stinks, but it is their fault that their team is that good. If I were the Patriots, I'd want to pound every team in the league in to the ground. No one can beat them and they want to make sure all of their future opponents know they don't stand a chance, because it's true. I've never been able to say that about any team my whole life.

I think you win with class. You can win big and impressively with class. When you have an inferior team down you don't continue to kick them. Like I said, I think it's pathetic and classless.

It would be interesting to see how Belichick would respond if Brady got hurt while running up the score. I won't wish an injury on any player...but I wouldn't shed a tear if it happened either.

SR
11-19-2007, 08:52 AM
They did it with class. They didn't taunt people, they helped the Bills up off the field after plays, they handed the ball to the ref, etc. To me, that's classy enough. Obviously, they aren't going to stop playing just because they've built a big lead. Snap to whistle all game long. There's no sense in playing if you aren't going to play a full 60 minutes. I'm enjoying watching history in the making. For me, there's no controversy. It it what it is and I enjoy watching that team win games, period.

Mike
11-19-2007, 09:18 AM
They did it with class. They didn't taunt people, they helped the Bills up off the field after plays, they handed the ball to the ref, etc. To me, that's classy enough. Obviously, they aren't going to stop playing just because they've built a big lead. Snap to whistle all game long. There's no sense in playing if you aren't going to play a full 60 minutes. I'm enjoying watching history in the making. For me, there's no controversy. It it what it is and I enjoy watching that team win games, period.

Why don't we just agree to disagree. I don't see it as a controversy. I simply see it as classless. Like I said, just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean that you are right to do it.

Being up big in the second half and Brady still in the game and still throwing the ball is classless no matter how you look at it. Going for it on 4th downs when up big is classless.

I don't expect a team to kneel on the ball the entire second half. But neither do I do expect to see them going for it on 4th downs or see them come out in shotgun formation and throwing the ball 80% of the time either.

Other teams see what NE does to other teams week in and week out. I think that Belichick is playing with fire.

Tned
11-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Ok, I will admit the going for it on 4th downs when up by 4+ TDs could be seen as classless, but on the flip side, their fans and the people watching the game (except Buff fans), are going to be pretty board if starting in the second quarter when the game is over, that the Pats do nothing but snap the ball with 2 seconds left on the clock, and run it every time.

Yes, it is possible that Brady could get hurt, but the fact is that unless you are going to pull your starter afer a quarter and a half when the game is over, he is out their playing 'football' and there is a risk of getting hurt.

Do you guys really think that Brady should be pulled halfway through the second quarter?

Who knows, maybe the Pats are doing this over the camera incident and the big Belicheck fine. Maybe they are doing it because they realize that if you want to keep an offense firing, you don't turn it on for one or two quarters, and then try and run out the clock for 2+ quarters.

Regardless of what the motivation is, I think we have to understand that this is NFL football, and the players and coaches on the other side of the field are making a combined $100 million or so, and it isn't the Pats job to make them look or feel better, it is the opponents job to earn that $100 million and stop the Pats.

Tned
11-19-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't expect a team to kneel on the ball the entire second half. But neither do I do expect to see them going for it on 4th downs or see them come out in shotgun formation and throwing the ball 80% of the time either.

I admit that going for it on 4th and 1, vs. kicking a field goal is borderline, but the shotgun doesn't bother me. They would be crazy with their franchise QB in to be predictable on their plays. Lining up in shotgun mixes it up, and gives Brady a chance to get the ball of quicker without getting hit.

Mike
11-19-2007, 09:29 AM
I admit that going for it on 4th and 1, vs. kicking a field goal is borderline, but the shotgun doesn't bother me. They would be crazy with their franchise QB in to be predictable on their plays. Lining up in shotgun mixes it up, and gives Brady a chance to get the ball of quicker without getting hit.

Yeah, running the ball is so overrated anyway. Run the clock down and reduce the risk of injury to your QB. There is no need to be unpredictable when you are kicking the teeth out of the other team. Run to left, run to the right, run up the middle.

Tned
11-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah, running the ball is so overrated anyway. Run the clock down and reduce the risk of injury to your QB. There is no need to be unpredictable when you are kicking the teeth out of the other team. Run to left, run to the right, run up the middle.

Tell you what, we should petition the NFL to implement a white flag rule. When a team like Buffalo needs to raise the white flag and have NE start to run out the clock with those left, right and middle runs, then the Buffalo players and coaches should have to forfeit to charity 1/64th of their $100 million+ in salaries for every quarter that white flag is raised.

So, last night the Bills would have raised the white flag in the second quarter, meaning they should have forfeited to charity about $4.7 million. The players and coaches shouldn't be expected to make the obscene money, and also get the benefit if little league mercy/sportsmanship rules.

omac
11-19-2007, 09:39 AM
It's okay for them to run up the score; I have a feeling they'll be upset in the playoffs.

SR
11-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Tell you what, we should petition the NFL to implement a white flag rule. When a team like Buffalo needs to raise the white flag and have NE start to run out the clock with those left, right and middle runs, then the Buffalo players and coaches should have to forfeit to charity 1/64th of their $100 million+ in salaries for every quarter that white flag is raised.

So, last night the Bills would have raised the white flag in the second quarter, meaning they should have forfeited to charity about $4.7 million. The players and coaches shouldn't be expected to make the obscene money, and also get the benefit if little league mercy/sportsmanship rules.

Or what they could do is if the game gets ahead by so many points, they could just do running time for the rest of the game. Don't stop the clock for anything except for injuries.

Tned
11-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Or what they could do is if the game gets ahead by so many points, they could just do running time for the rest of the game. Don't stop the clock for anything except for injuries.

Or they could take the football players off the field, and put the cheerleaders out there. Sort of like the lingerie bowl they used to run on PPV during the Super Bowl half time shows.

eessydo
11-19-2007, 10:08 AM
These guys are professionals, nothing classless about it at all.

If you ran a business wouldn't you want to grab all the market share and squash the competition? The answer is probably YES, but they don't call you classless do they?

If you were working for free then it would be another story, but this is a PROFESSIONAL game where crushing the competition is the name of the game.

It is not like like New England is playing the Biloxi State Collegiate do rags and they need to be nice about it, it is the NFL.

BroncoBJ
11-19-2007, 12:38 PM
The Pats blew a 21-6 lead to the Colts in last years AFC Championship game.
I really think that they dont want that to ever happen to them again. They figured if they can score points then they will. They will make sure that no team comes back on them. Brady can get hurt in a 1 pt game as much as a 50 pt game. They are on a mission this year and this is too crazy how good they are.

Why would you play conservative and win games 21-17 when you can just destroy teams. Dont give any team a chance and just throttle them.

Its not classless at all. Why cant teams stop them? Too funny.

Keep it up Pats. :beer::elefant:

KCL
11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I think the Bills got what they deserved. :salute:

Next up on the list is the Eagles.
I love watching them run up the score. The other teams should just stop them.
No need to complain and moan. If you have a problem then stop them.

This is comical how good the Pats are.
They are the best team I've seen.

And I agree Charlie. They might just lose next year during the regular season but thats pushing it :eek:

Wouldn't it be funny if Denver played them in the AFC Championship game and Brady had a horrible game and we ran it up on them? lol

But The Bills need to stop them.
Thats all there is to it.

If they kicked the FG then they would be running it up.
If they go for it then they are running it up.

Perhaps they shoudl take a knee on 4th down.

No how about just punt it on 4th down...;)

KCL
11-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Nice :salute:

I love it when people realize what it is.

Learn to stop them.

If I was a coach I'd take time off the clock on every play.
I'd do what the Chiefs did today.

Lose the game but at least kill time with horrible management :lol:

hey watch it....:mad:

:laugh:

KCL
11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I think you win with class. You can win big and impressively with class. When you have an inferior team down you don't continue to kick them. Like I said, I think it's pathetic and classless.

It would be interesting to see how Belichick would respond if Brady got hurt while running up the score. I won't wish an injury on any player...but I wouldn't shed a tear if it happened either.

Honestly...I don't think its possible for Brady to get hurt.Think about it.
His O line gives him excellent pass protection and when he isn't passing,
he is handing off.

There was a thread at BM about them when they ran the score up on the
Skins.I personally don't have a problem with it.I am just glad its not the Chiefs
their doing this to.:shocked: ;)

BroncoBJ
11-19-2007, 01:30 PM
hey watch it....:mad:

:laugh:

:lol: My bad. I didn't know you were reading this thread lol.
But yea It seems impossible for Tom to get hurt.

Speaking of his Oline. A guy I knew from my HS got drafted by the Pats this year and got cut :(
The first player to ever get drafted out of my HS. Good stuff.

I was shocked they Punted it on 4th and inches at the 30 though. :lol:

OB
11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
I dont see going for 7 on 4th down when you can easily get 3 and you have a sizeable lead and little time left -

Im with mtnman on this :eek:

:singsJT'Swhatgoesaroundcomesaround: :D

KCL
11-19-2007, 02:49 PM
My bad. I didn't know you were reading this thread lol.
But yea It seems impossible for Tom to get hurt.

Speaking of his Oline. A guy I knew from my HS got drafted by the Pats this year and got cut :(
The first player to ever get drafted out of my HS. Good stuff.

I was shocked they Punted it on 4th and inches at the 30 though.

Now why wouldn't I be reading this thread?:confused:

As far as the Chiefs game...It wasn't Herm's time management that
hurt us...but more the stupid dumbass plays called by the OC..:mad:
Not letting Croyle throw the ball and calling running plays that everyone
knew wasn't working.I swear he was trying to get Priest hurt again...:rolleyes:
And don't you dare say anything about Priest.

Okay...I know that was offtopic so back to the Pats folks.;)

WTE
11-19-2007, 04:13 PM
During his Monday press conference Belichick explained why he went for it on 4th down twice in the 3rd quarter. The first time was on the opening drive of the second half and the second time was on fourth and 1 from the Bills' 10 late in the third quarter with New England holding a 42-10 advantage.

Belichick said,

"Those situations, that point in the game I think I really don't like kicking field goals." "I feel like that's just adding points, so I'd rather go for it on fourth down and give them an opportunity to stop us. Our offense moved the ball well, so give them an opportunity to keep playing."

Basically, if the Bills stopped them, so what. If they didn't, tough crap.

Broncos Mtnman
11-19-2007, 04:45 PM
During his Monday press conference Belichick explained why he went for it on 4th down twice in the 3rd quarter. The first time was on the opening drive of the second half and the second time was on fourth and 1 from the Bills' 10 late in the third quarter with New England holding a 42-10 advantage.

Belichick said,

"Those situations, that point in the game I think I really don't like kicking field goals." "I feel like that's just adding points, so I'd rather go for it on fourth down and give them an opportunity to stop us. Our offense moved the ball well, so give them an opportunity to keep playing."

Basically, if the Bills stopped them, so what. If they didn't, tough crap.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......

yeah :crazy:

SM19
11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Learn to stop them.

The Bills couldn't stop them. They were simply incapable of doing so, and everyone in the Western world was aware of it. The only way it's going to stop is when some coach decides he's had enough and tells his free safety, "I'll pay your fine if you go out and flip Randy Moss on his head next time there's a jump ball."

WTE
11-19-2007, 04:53 PM
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......

yeah :crazy:

Whatever. You should change your username to broncos_mtnSally.

broncos9697
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
[/FONT]

No how about just punt it on 4th down...;)

OH and thats what texas tech does every time they have a 4th down I dont think so...football is a game...if you want to score then score lets not hold back do they in basketball or baseball no they do not then why do it in football...there's no rule saying you cant score when you want to..I thought that was football go out and score and play the best you can.....yes it is...stop whinning

broncos9697
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
I dont see going for 7 on 4th down when you can easily get 3 and you have a sizeable lead and little time left -

Im with mtnman on this :eek:

:singsJT'Swhatgoesaroundcomesaround: :D

We have 2 studs out there ting to break records let them do it recorde are ment to be broken....I hate the pats but I love watching them play....

KCL
11-19-2007, 07:33 PM
OH and thats what texas tech does every time they have a 4th down I dont think so...football is a game...if you want to score then score lets not hold back do they in basketball or baseball no they do not then why do it in football...there's no rule saying you cant score when you want to..I thought that was football go out and score and play the best you can.....yes it is...stop whinning

I am not complaining....I was replying to JC4MVP's post.He said something
about taking a knee on 4th down and I said what I said.Most teams punt on 4th down.

Plus I used this when I posted that....--------> ;)

And if you read my other post,I said I didnt have a problem with the
Pats running the score up.

BroncoBJ
11-20-2007, 03:26 AM
I am not complaining....I was replying to JC4MVP's post.He said something
about taking a knee on 4th down and I said what I said.Most teams punt on 4th down.

Plus I used this when I posted that....--------> ;)

And if you read my other post,I said I didnt have a problem with the
Pats running the score up.

Would they punt the ball right through the uprights? :lol:

KCL
11-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Would they punt the ball right through the uprights? :lol:

Maybe....:laugh:

WTE
11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Boo hoo hoo. Look at this poor Buffalo Bills fan at last Sunday's Patriots/Bills game. It looks like he wanted to kill someone when New England went for it on 4th down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2774/bufdo6.jpg

OB
11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Boo hoo hoo. Look at this poor Buffalo Bills fan at last Sunday's Patriots/Bills game. It looks like he wanted to kill someone when New England went for it on 4th down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2774/bufdo6.jpg

Too bad you werent there :coffee:

BroncoWave
11-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Too bad you werent there :coffee:

And you call the Pats classless... :coffee:

OB
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
And you call the Pats classless...

Quit hatin cuz im a Yankees fan :beer::D

And shame on you for stickin up for a patsie fan :tsk::tsk:

WTE
11-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Quit hatin cuz im a Yankees fan :beer::D

Why does that not surprise me?

And shame on you for stickin up for a patsie fan :tsk::tsk:

He's not sticking up for a Patriots fan he's sticking up for humanity.

OB
11-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Why does that not surprise me?

He's not sticking up for a Patriots fan he's sticking up for humanity.

My bad I didnt realize patriots fans were human because none ever existed before 2000 :cool:

WTE
11-20-2007, 04:59 PM
My bad I didnt realize patriots fans were human because none ever existed before 2000 :cool:

I miss Ted Baxter.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/3/36/250px-Tedbaxter.jpg

SR
11-21-2007, 03:02 AM
OH and thats what texas tech does every time they have a 4th down

Harrell is a friggin badass. That dude is gonna make it in the NFL.