PDA

View Full Version : Marshall plan

rcsodak
08-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Broncos need new Marshall plan
By Jason Cole and Charles Robinson
August 28, 2009

The Denver Broncos suspended Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall(notes) through Sept. 5 for "detrimental" conduct, according to coach Josh McDaniels. Marshall, who had previously asked to be traded and for a contract extension, was suspended after a series of incidents – including antics caught on video during practice on Wednesday.

Yahoo! Sports NFL writers Charles Robinson and Jason Cole break down the escalating situation between the Broncos and Marshall.

• Who is at fault for this problem?

Cole: To blame Brandon Marshall for this latest suspension is akin to taking an alcoholic into a liquor store and blaming him for getting loaded. Yes, Brandon Marshall has been a difficult guy for the Broncos to deal with over the years. But here's the problem with blaming him for what has happened in this situation: When Denver traded Jay Cutler(notes) this offseason, the Broncos set the stage for what's happening with Marshall.

In fact, they traded a better player in Cutler when the quarterback asked for a trade. Marshall asked for a trade and got a cold shoulder. He asked for a new contract and got no response. Now you keep the guy around, knowing that he's unhappy, and you're surprised when he blows up? Please. If the Broncos' new coaching staff and management claim they didn't know Marshall was going to blow a gasket at some point, they're either lying or stupid.

Robinson: I don't know how you could blame anyone but Marshall for this suspension. That video from practice – even if some of it is out of context – is downright embarrassing. Linebacker Kirk Morrison(notes), who has seen countless acts of dysfunction with the Oakland Raiders, called the video "crazy" on his Twitter account, remarking that he'd "never seen anything like that before."

The worst part, you can bet Marshall knew exactly what he was doing. He made the scene during the portion of practice that still allows cameras to film players – which suggests a premeditated act. Say what you want about the Broncos' new regime and their questionable moves, but the fact is Marshall had maturity issues coming out of Central Florida, and being constantly babied by former coach Mike Shanahan only made the problem worse. Don't blame the new coaching staff and front office for trying to fix something that should have been dealt with years ago.

• Where do the two sides go from here?

Cole: What's sad about this is that with Marshall, the Denver offense might have been pretty entertaining this year, even with Kyle Orton(notes) at quarterback. Between Marshall, Eddie Royal(notes), Brandon Stokley(notes), Tony Scheffler(notes) and Knowshon Moreno(notes), the Broncos had plenty of skill guys to throw at people. Now look for the underrated Royal to get swallowed up by double coverage.

As for Marshall, either trade him for whatever you can get or cut him. Yeah, I know cutting him sounds stupid on face value, but here's a story to consider: In 2004, the Dolphins held onto the rights of Ricky Williams(notes) after he “retired” because of two failed drug tests (not to mention his utter lack of respect for Dave Wannstedt). Over the years, the Dolphins spent more time answering questions and dealing with issues about Williams than was necessary, leaving the franchise completely distracted. In the end, the Dolphins went through the worst run of years in team history, bottoming out in a 1-15 season in 2007.

They would have been better off just cutting bait on the whole Williams situation. As for Marshall, his latest maneuver has left his trade value plummeting faster than Robinson's IQ when measured against fifth graders.

Robinson: If you're the Broncos, you keep him on indefinite suspension and move on. I'm not sure you even entertain trading him, even if you get a solid offer (which is unlikely). It sets a terrible precedent. Cutler already forced his way off the roster. If you allow it to happen twice, you've lost the respect of your players and the ability to reasonably control your personnel. Once those things are gone, owner Pat Bowlen might as well fire coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders and start all over again.

As far as Marshall goes, he'll appeal through the NFLPA and probably lose. There's nothing he can do but sit at home and take the suspension, much like Terrell Owens(notes) and Keyshawn Johnson(notes) did in similar situations. If he's smart, he might consider what he's done to his chances of getting the next big contract that he wants. Look at what happened with Plaxico Burress(notes) at the end of his stint with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He should have commanded a far richer contract than the six-year, $25 million deal he signed with the New York Giants in 2005. But his reputation was so damaged that it devastated his free-agent value. Marshall is doing the same thing to himself.

• What kind of trade value does Marshall have right now?

Cole: The first call the Broncos should make is to San Francisco to see if the 49ers are desperate enough to trade one problem (Michael Crabtree(notes)) for another. OK, that's a little facetious, but I would at least make the call. In real terms, the Broncos would be exceedingly lucky to get a second-round pick for him. Even a third-rounder might be generous at this point.

But here's the bigger problem for Denver: Marshall's contract will be up at the end of the season. Denver could try to bluff its way through putting a franchise tag on him or saying they will pay him the restricted free-agent tender if there is no extension of the collective bargaining agreement. But the rest of the NFL knows the score and will wait out Denver. Reality is that Marshall's highest value is still right now, when teams think they're going to be competing. Then again, this four-game suspension isn't going to help Marshall's value with him coming off hip surgery. Yet another brilliant part of Denver's personnel strategy.

Robinson: Marshall's sheer overwhelming talent means he'll always have solid value. But for the Broncos, any chance of maximizing his value via a trade has gone out the window. He might draw just one or two middle-round picks at this stage. Already, a handful of personnel men were sharing tepid reactions after seeing the video of Marshall's practice antics. One prominent general manager called the video "unreal." Another called Marshall "just another spoiled brat."

And while there is no denying his talent, he is far from perfect on the field. One general manager recently pointed out that over the last two years, Marshall is second only to Braylon Edwards(notes) in the NFL in dropped catchable balls. And though he was targeted a great deal in Denver's offense, that's still an ugly stat.

That only adds to the issues that come with acquiring Marshall, as a team would have to surrender a piece in trade, then a possible contract extension down the road. None of which even takes into account Marshall's history in the league's discipline program, and the fact that he's one more incident from an extended suspension.

Add the risks up, and his overall trade value is far less than it should be.

Superchop 7
08-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Eddie Royal was open more than Marshall last year.

Not worried about him being gone.

They should have fixed this thing a month ago.

So now, if there is no market for him.

You wait.

Till midseason.

Funny how the market changes in mid-season.

Someone will ante up.

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree with both on the first question.

It shouldn't have gotten to THIS point, and everyone had to have seen this coming. Its been going on for MONTHS now, and NOTHING has been resolved and everything has just escalated, just as it did with Cutler.

But, there is NO WAY you can justify Marshall's actions at the practices. No way at all, and that absolutely deserved a suspension and/or discipline.

Its troubling that it got to THIS point with him without something being done, somewhere, somehow..... something.

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Eddie Royal was open more than Marshall last year.

Not worried about him being gone.

I LOVE Eddie Royal... but lets be honest. He benefitted a TON from Marshall being on the other side. Marshall grabbed most of the attention from defenses, and that is what allowed Royal to have more 1-on-ones and "be open more" last year.

rcsodak
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
I LOVE Eddie Royal... but lets be honest. He benefitted a TON from Marshall being on the other side. Marshall grabbed most of the attention from defenses, and that is what allowed Royal to have more 1-on-ones and "be open more" last year.

So who was garnering "most of the attention from defenses" last year in game 1, for ER to have such a huge game?

I'd say if there's no BMarsh this year, it'll be up to McD to GAMEPLAN, to where ER can get 1-on-1 coverages. But that's just part of running an offense, though, so......:confused:.....

elsid13
08-29-2009, 11:31 AM
So who was garnering "most of the attention from defenses" last year in game 1, for ER to have such a huge game?

I'd say if there's no BMarsh this year, it'll be up to McD to GAMEPLAN, to where ER can get 1-on-1 coverages. But that's just part of running an offense, though, so......:confused:.....

The opening game against a CB that is vastly overrated doesn't mean Royal is better. Marshall is the WR that DC roll coverage to, takes the #1 CB and allows other WR the opportunity to exploit the back side. Royal is very good young wide receiver but losing Marshall hurts him more then anyone else on the team.

jhildebrand
08-29-2009, 11:40 AM
The beauty of the situation now, as far as I see it, is Brandon Marshall now NEEDS the Broncos MORE than they need him. The only way he can begin to repair his reputation is on the field!

The idea that he will get a new team let alone a big contract is all but gone. At this point Brandon has all but assured himself he will be a Bronco for the forseeable future. Either way, the organization should win be it through good behavior and play and or a team ready to pony up when he is a model citizen!

rcsodak
08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
The opening game against a CB that is vastly overrated doesn't mean Royal is better. Marshall is the WR that DC roll coverage to, takes the #1 CB and allows other WR the opportunity to exploit the back side. Royal is very good young wide receiver but losing Marshall hurts him more then anyone else on the team.

oh, ok, gotcha.

Didn't know that 'CB', whom you call overrated, was that bad.

How about the games against KC,NYJ,CLE,NE,SD? What were their excuses? :coffee:

claymore
08-29-2009, 11:51 AM
The beauty of the situation now, as far as I see it, is Brandon Marshall now NEEDS the Broncos MORE than they need him. The only way he can begin to repair his reputation is on the field!

The idea that he will get a new team let alone a big contract is all but gone. At this point Brandon has all but assured himself he will be a Bronco for the forseeable future. Either way, the organization should win be it through good behavior and play and or a team ready to pony up when he is a model citizen!

Thats the exact opposite of what is really going on.

Brandon doesnt need or want the Broncos at all. The only leverage the Broncos have on him is they can keep him from signing with another team.

If the Broncos dont care about trading him, they can pay him to sit for 2 years.

That is worst case for BM, sit and make a nice living doing nothing for 2 years. Then get franchised, or get a fat contract from another team.

That sure as hell wouldnt scare me. I would love to be in that situation.

elsid13
08-29-2009, 12:30 PM
oh, ok, gotcha.

Didn't know that 'CB', whom you call overrated, was that bad.

How about the games against KC,NYJ,CLE,NE,SD? What were their excuses? :coffee:

Let see Marshall was back for all those games, right. Who got the #1 CB again? Let use the Cleveland game as prime example.

If you look at the 95 catch and run at Cleveland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_adZc5iCDRw

Watch the backside of that play. Marshall is bracketed by 1 CB, a lb and both safeties are rolling toward him . Meanwhile Royal is one on one.

scott.475
08-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Cole reads like an idiot here. Blaming the Broncs for Marshall's current behavior? PUH-lease! His rational is ridiculous, and I will grant that BM no doubt thinks he can get away with this because of the Cutler debacle, but that line of reasoning would necessarily mean that you have to treat every next player just like the last one and a team simply cannot function that way. I don't think there is any way BM makes it a whole career without a few suspensions and I really have no desire to have the next Pacman Jones (remember how he was going to turn it around? Even got Deion Sanders to vouch for him) wearing orange and blue. I have no confidence he would actually perform for us, we are not in a great position with him, but let him sit or trade him, I just really don't want to see him on the field for us, I fear how many "dropped balls" he would have this year.

FanInAZ
08-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Brandon doesnt need or want the Broncos at all. The only leverage the Broncos have on him is they can keep him from signing with another team.

If the Broncos dont care about trading him, they can pay him to sit for 2 years.

That is worst case for BM, sit and make a nice living doing nothing for 2 years. Then get franchised, or get a fat contract from another team.

That's 2 years of making less money then he wants. Two years of his skills deteriorating on the sideline as a result of not playing and being given scout team duties during practice. Two years of him not answering the questions about his physical health. Two years of him not demenstating to the league that he has grown up and become a team player.

If BM keeps this up act for the next 2 years and McD keeps him on the bench, I have a hunch that BM will be very disappointed in the contracts that he would be offered.

jhildebrand
08-29-2009, 01:01 PM

I would say that was the case before his little 5th grade tirade on the field. GM's have anonymously stated that they wouldn't touch the idea of trading for BM for anything right now!

Why do you think Brandon called ESPN and NFLN for quick interviews? He was out to do damage control. He apparently didn't know or think the media cameras were on him.

Your worst case for Brandon is a bit light as well. HE HAS TO PLAY WELL AND BEHAVE WELL to get the pay or trade he wants! The bottom line in all of this, and part of the problem by the way, is that the Broncos aren't willing to GIVE HIM AWAY. They will hold onto him until they get something credible for them and he didnt do anything to help himself.

By the way, a franchise tage in many players eyes is not the money they deserve and should they get injured it is an easy cut and no more cash. These guys want the guaranteed money!

guitarj
08-29-2009, 02:26 PM

Maybe, but I remember Royal's best game was when Marshall was out serving his suspension, and Royal lit up Hall big time. I think Marshall was targeted way to often last year.

When Royal's name is called, he will deliver.

pnbronco
08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
If he's smart, he might consider what he's done to his chances of getting the next big contract that he wants. Look at what happened with Plaxico Burress(notes) at the end of his stint with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He should have commanded a far richer contract than the six-year, $25 million deal he signed with the New York Giants in 2005. But his reputation was so damaged that it devastated his free-agent value. Marshall is doing the same thing to himself

I enjoyed reading this part from a outsider. The fact that Plaxico lost out because of his behavior says a lot.

I get the feeling that Brandon has really got himself in a financial pickle. He keeps acting like the 2 million he could get this year just isn't enough. I don't really believe the only reason he thinks he need the money now is that he is so sure that his numbers will go done. Every time he did drills during camp he was the one catching the long passes and lighting it up. Even if they go down does he really think that his behavior makes teams want to line to sign him. It is a lose, lose for both sides. I'm so glad there are 52 other MEN that will be on the team.

jhildebrand
08-29-2009, 11:48 PM
The opening game against a CB that is vastly overrated .

DeAngelo looked pretty good for the Redskins. They extended him too for his good play.

rcsodak
08-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Let see Marshall was back for all those games, right. Who got the #1 CB again? Let use the Cleveland game as prime example.

If you look at the 95 catch and run at Cleveland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_adZc5iCDRw

Watch the backside of that play. Marshall is bracketed by 1 CB, a lb and both safeties are rolling toward him . Meanwhile Royal is one on one.

The entire game?

How about the rest of them?

Please...don't quit now....you're rockin'!!!! :D