PDA

View Full Version : for all you who drink the koolaid interesting read from rick reilly

broken12
08-28-2009, 10:38 PM
heres that guy everyone loves cause what he says about the broncos and john elway link below

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish

Watchthemiddle
08-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Love it when people put quotes by "unidentified" sources who don't want to leave their name.

Credible.

:coffee:

broken12
08-28-2009, 10:53 PM
Love it when people put quotes by "unidentified" sources who don't want to leave their name.

Credible.

really bust your source out huh, then no one trust you adn never get inside info...

Ravage!!!
08-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Rick Reilly isn't a hack, and wouldn't make up sources.. thus making up a story.

Nature Boy
08-28-2009, 11:47 PM
heres that guy everyone loves cause what he says about the broncos and john elway link below

Awesome. Great find.

Nature Boy
08-28-2009, 11:49 PM

Credible.

You are apparently McDummass' #1 fan. What has he done for the Broncos or anything for that matter that you just can't seem to release your vise like clamp on his nuts?

jrelway
08-28-2009, 11:51 PM
rick reily? cmon now.

Northman
08-29-2009, 12:18 AM

Credible.

^This

Shazam!
08-29-2009, 01:24 AM
You are apparently McDummass' #1 fan. What has he done for the Broncos or anything for that matter that you just can't seem to release your vise like clamp on his nuts.

First of all, you shouldn't be coming across WTM like that.

For starters, how about firing a dumbass failed defensive coordinator for a bonafide DC like Nolan, and bring in better position coaches?

Aside from the Cutler issue (while he did everything possible to make the situation worse, even before McD was hired by criticizing Shanahan who deserved to be fired, sadly) and some suspect Draft moves (Moreno could be a star) I like a whole lot of the new attitude he has brought. Even in practice, the Broncos needed a change.

Also, when Cutler (or Plummer for that matter) ****ed up, we heard 'It's not a team game, he can't do it all by himself', why shouldn't that apply now? One man doesn't make the team. If the red zone scoring and defense can be improved, Denver can make some noise. Everyone wants to write them off before playing a meaningful game. Sure, preseason hasn't gone that well but they improved from week to week thus far so that's good.

Oh yeah. Rick Reilly? Puhleeze.

Go :defense:

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2009, 01:30 AM
You are apparently McDummass' #1 fan. What has he done for the Broncos or anything for that matter that you just can't seem to release your vise like clamp on his nuts?

What has he done that causes you to have such deep hatred? Give the guy a chance. We haven't even played ONE regular season game. We haven't even played an entire season. Talk about jumping ship a little early.

Where were you when Shanny decided to go with Griese instead of Brister after the two Super Bowls? Were you around then? If so, what was your opinion on that decision? Like it? Hate it? Or are you too young to know?

Shazam!
08-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Where were you when Shanny decided to go with Griese instead of Brister after the two Super Bowls?

He was rooting for Oakland.

Nature Boy
08-29-2009, 01:55 AM
First of all, you shouldn't be coming across WTM like that.

For starters, how about firing a dumbass failed defensive coordinator for a bonafide DC like Nolan, and bring in better position coaches?

Aside from the Cutler issue (while he did everything possible to make the situation worse, even before McD was hired by criticizing Shanahan who deserved to be fired, sadly) and some suspect Draft moves (Moreno could be a star) I like a whole lot of the new attitude he has brought. Even in practice, the Broncos needed a change.

Also, when Cutler (or Plummer for that matter) ****ed up, we heard 'It's not a team game, he can't do it all by himself', why shouldn't that apply now? One man doesn't make the team. If the red zone scoring and defense can be improved, Denver can make some noise. Everyone wants to write them off before playing a meaningful game. Sure, preseason hasn't gone that well but they improved from week to week thus far so that's good.

Oh yeah. Rick Reilly? Puhleeze.

Go :defense:

You're telling me that the Broncos are in better shape now than the exact same time last year? The proof was on the field last week in Seattle. I almost chunked my Heineken and salsa all over the floor.

Cutler is gonna embarrass Mickey Mouse come this Sunday. It's sad to say and think about but I can't wait to see it happen. I'll be rooting for Cutler for just this game against a Broncos team. No I wont be rooting for the Bears, I'll be rooting against McDummass for spite and see my point proven. It's only a preseason game so I can allow it.

What has he done that causes you to have such deep hatred? Give the guy a chance. We haven't even played ONE regular season game. We haven't even played an entire season. Talk about jumping ship a little early.

Where were you when Shanny decided to go with Griese instead of Brister after the two Super Bowls? Were you around then? If so, what was your opinion on that decision? Like it? Hate it? Or are you too young to know?

What has McDummass done to deserve such harsh criticism and hatred? What are you blind? The Dummass chased off the best QB the Broncos ever had since John Elway. It's like had Dan Reeves traded Elway for a couple of draft picks and started Tommy Maddox in the early nineties.

Too young to know? I'm old enough to be your dad, son. :listen:

claymore
08-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Great find. made me vomit a little, but great find.

LRtagger
08-29-2009, 07:54 AM
I'll be rooting for Cutler for just this game against a Broncos team. No I wont be rooting for the Bears, I'll be rooting against McDummass for spite and see my point proven. It's only a preseason game so I can allow it.

All you people rooting against the Broncos just so you can say "I told you so" are an embarassment.

Who in their right mind would want their team to lose to prove themself right rather than see their team win and have to admit they were wrong?

It's sad. :tsk:

SR
08-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Rick Reilly is a tool.

Mike
08-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I'll be rooting for Cutler for just this game against a Broncos team. No I wont be rooting for the Bears, I'll be rooting against McDummass for spite and see my point proven. It's only a preseason game so I can allow it.

Preseason or not, that is pathetic. :coffee:

guitarj
08-29-2009, 09:12 AM
We lost a very talented qb in Cutler. Lets keep the facts straight though, he wanted out of here....and made it very clear! Yes he just couldnt believe it came to this... he tried so hard to contact Broncos brass.... give me a break. He looked so sad in the press conference in Chicago.

I loved the Cutler draft pick. I do think his record here was hurt badly by a horrible defense. I liked watching him and this young offense last year, even giving him a pass on all the pouting.... and thought they had a great chance to grow together and become great.

That all changed though when Cutler left and all but turned his nose up at the Broncos. I will be cheering for my Broncos Sunday!! I do not like Cutler now at all.... He is not a Bronco and never will be again. Hopefully all those high draft picks we got for him make an impact on this team for years to come!!

Superchop 7
08-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Article was spot on.

I remember the Broncos telling Brandon they would seek a trade.

This would have taken Shanny about a day to get done.

If you think I hate McDaniels (the head coach version , not the offensive co-ordinator version) and his idiocy.

Multiply it times infinity and thats how bad I hate Joe Ellis

I "know" who wrecked this town.

NightTrainLayne
08-29-2009, 09:45 AM
It takes 4-5 months for two unidentified sources to come out and say that Cutler did call him back?

At the time, Cutler's mouth-piece Bus Cook said that he tried to relay the message to Jay leaving him two messages that day, but that Cutler didn't answer and that he didn't know if Cutler got the message in time or not.

Now, call me crazy, but I have a feeling that if Cutler had called Bowlen back twice that day as Reilly's "unidentified" 5-month late sources claim that Bus Cook would have taken the opportunity to point it out.

Reilly was a complete Shanafan, and is still bitter over us letting him go. That's all well and good, but I think its Reilly's memory we need to worry about because this was covered pretty extensively at the time.

GEM
08-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Cutler is gonna embarrass Mickey Mouse come this Sunday. It's sad to say and think about but I can't wait to see it happen. I'll be rooting for Cutler for just this game against a Broncos team. No I wont be rooting for the Bears, I'll be rooting against McDummass for spite and see my point proven. It's only a preseason game so I can allow it.

That's a jumped ship if I ever saw one. Take a hike, you disgust me.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Article was spot on.

I remember the Broncos telling Brandon they would seek a trade.

This would have taken Shanny about a day to get done.

If you think I hate McDaniels (the head coach version , not the offensive co-ordinator version) and his idiocy.

Multiply it times infinity and thats how bad I hate Joe Ellis

I "know" who wrecked this town.

Could you post the link or the source where you remember the Broncos telling Brandon they would seek a trade. I would like to read it.

NightTrainLayne
08-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Could you post the link or the source where you remember the Broncos telling Brandon they would seek a trade. I would like to read it.

That source was Brandon Marshall. Always has been. Brandon is the source saying that Bowlen told him that he would trade him.

Personally, from watching Brandon Marshall for a few years now, Brandon is the kind of guy who hears what he wants to hear. From that same meeting it was reported that Bowlen told Marshall that if he played well this season and stayed out of trouble that he could have the contract he wanted with us.

Surprise, surprise. .. Brandon didn't like that idea.

Superchop 7
08-29-2009, 10:13 AM

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Whats the avatar say?

Thnikkaman
08-29-2009, 10:19 AM
You're telling me that the Broncos are in better shape now than the exact same time last year? The proof was on the field last week in Seattle. I almost chunked my Heineken and salsa all over the floor.

What has McDummass done to deserve such harsh criticism and hatred? What are you blind? The Dummass chased off the best QB the Broncos ever had since John Elway. It's like had Dan Reeves traded Elway for a couple of draft picks and started Tommy Maddox in the early nineties.

Too young to know? I'm old enough to be your dad, son. :listen:

NatureBoy, tell us the one about how Nmandi is the Greatest CB of all time and how Rich Gannon was a better QB than Elway.

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 10:23 AM
That source was Brandon Marshall. Always has been. Brandon is the source saying that Bowlen told him that he would trade him.

Personally, from watching Brandon Marshall for a few years now, Brandon is the kind of guy who hears what he wants to hear. From that same meeting it was reported that Bowlen told Marshall that if he played well this season and stayed out of trouble that he could have the contract he wanted with us.

Surprise, surprise. .. Brandon didn't like that idea.

Can't say that I disagree with this.

But at the same time... Rick Reilly is NOT some hack that doesn't have credibility. You either believe that he does have a source that he can't reveal (which is very common, especially if he wants to KEEP that source).... or you believe he simply made up the story. Rick Reilly is NOT going to make up a story. He has no need to, and especially in "this" news, its exactly a breaking news that would get him some kind of award. He has NOTHING to gain by making this up. So it does make you believe that he does have a source that did say this, and its not that hard to believe that the source is credible.

scott.475
08-29-2009, 10:39 AM

Credible.

Not to get into the well beaten McD vs Cutler debate (I really DO think it is time to let that one go, and was as mad at McD as anyone), but unnamed sources certainly have a legitimate place, or was the whole Watergate thing no big deal? Though I guess you could technically say that source, the mysterious "Deepthroat", was named, no one knew who it really was until just a few years ago. I don't just automatically discount a news story because people want to remain anonymous and unnamed.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2009, 10:45 AM
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Whats the avatar say?

OK - let's go another direction. First, if you want to, listen to the following - Bowlen talking with Alfred and Scott, at about the 8:40 mark, he states that he did sit down with Brandon for about an hour, and stated that it's clear he wants a new contract, and then says more:

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1121617

Also, let's say that Bowlen, IN JUNE, did tell Brandon that he would trade him, and they started shopping him around - which other NFL organization - IN JUNE - would jump on a trade which involves a player who is facing a court date - which if that player is found guilty, COULD FACE A SUBSTANTIAL SUSPENSION?????? Maybe there may have been a team out there who played the trade game, and offered the Broncos a 5th round pick in the year 2020.

Common sense does need to come into play somewhere - OR MAYBE NOT :tsk:

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Not to get into the well beaten McD vs Cutler debate (I really DO think it is time to let that one go, and was as mad at McD as anyone), but unnamed sources certainly have a legitimate place, or was the whole Watergate thing no big deal? Though I guess you could technically say that source, the mysterious "Deepthroat", was named, no one knew who it really was until just a few years ago. I don't just automatically discount a news story because people want to remain anonymous and unnamed.

Exactly. I just used another example in another thread.

People around here take everything that Shefter says as fact. If he was the one that said it, people wouldn't doubt for a second that the source was real... named or not (and he RARELY names sources).

People look at the writer to believe a story. If you know/feel the writer is credible and wouldn't make things up then you must know what he has written is true. If its a writer you don't trust, or one you believe WOULD make something up simply to have some kind of story, than you have the right not to believe whats written.

But you can't have it both ways.

nevcraw
08-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Does Bowlen remember hiring the real mastermind: Joe Ellis?
This guy has been involved directly in everything that has turned The Denver Broncos from one of the best organizations in sports into a laughing stock. Bowlen needs 5 minutes of clarity and make Elway an offer he cannot refuse and send this guy into uneployment.

guitarj
08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Does Bowlen remember hiring the real mastermind: Joe Ellis?
This guy has been involved directly in everything that has turned The Denver Broncos from one of the best organizations in sports into a laughing stock. Bowlen needs 5 minutes of clarity and make Elway an offer he cannot refuse and send this guy into uneployment.

I will reserve judgement on that until I actually see this team play in a real...GAME.. let alone a season or 2:confused:

NightTrainLayne
08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Can't say that I disagree with this.

But at the same time... Rick Reilly is NOT some hack that doesn't have credibility. You either believe that he does have a source that he can't reveal (which is very common, especially if he wants to KEEP that source).... or you believe he simply made up the story. Rick Reilly is NOT going to make up a story. He has no need to, and especially in "this" news, its exactly a breaking news that would get him some kind of award. He has NOTHING to gain by making this up. So it does make you believe that he does have a source that did say this, and its not that hard to believe that the source is credible.

Oh, I believe that he has a source. I never questioned that. What I do question is the validity of that source. 5 months later to corroborate a story that didn't come out in any way, shape or form at the time is dubious.

Cutler and Cook were asked directly at the time about this, and neither of them would make a comment at all.

The most likely response at the time would have been that they did return the calls, because the result of not returning the calls was to make Cutler look foolish.

LRtagger
08-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Not to mention the fact that the Broncos were willing to release phone records when Jay denied everything.

Hobe
08-29-2009, 01:50 PM
heres that guy everyone loves cause what he says about the broncos and john elway link bel

Ran out of this to write about, huh Rick!

NameUsedBefore
08-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not gonna go article hunting, NTL, but I do remember stories of Bowlen forgetting he talked to Cutler while the fiasco was going down. I namely remember because the guys at the Mane were having a field day with Bowlen's short term memory and those on this forum felt Bowlen wasn't being very honest.

BCJ
08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Sorry, but not believing it for a moment. If Cutler called, Bowlen would have told everyone in the front office within a moments notice. We know Cutler's attitude and it fits right in. I dont think Bowlen wanted to see Cutler go and tried to work it out. When Cutler got his orders from Bus Cook, he followed them and got his so called wish of a trade. Ive heard directly from Bowlen that he didnt make the return calls and I am suspect of the 3 unidentified sources. I just wish all records from Cutler to Bowlen and Bowlen to Cutler would be published to put this to rest. Someone is full of crap and now we might have added 3 to that list.

BCJ
08-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm not gonna go article hunting, NTL, but I do remember stories of Bowlen forgetting he talked to Cutler while the fiasco was going down. I namely remember because the guys at the Mane were having a field day with Bowlen's short term memory and those on this forum felt Bowlen wasn't being very honest.

You think Bowlen would forget a Cutler call right after he hung up? That would be the shortest memory loss possible as Bowlen would hang up then not call a soul right after the ended phone call. Memory loss from 10 years ago? Sure. Memory loss from 10 seconds ago? Doubt it.

LoyalSoldier
08-29-2009, 03:04 PM
You think Bowlen would forget a Cutler call right after he hung up? That would be the shortest memory loss possible as Bowlen would hang up then not call a soul right after the ended phone call. Memory loss from 10 years ago? Sure. Memory loss from 10 seconds ago? Doubt it.

Short term memory and long term memory are two different things handled by two completely different areas of the brain. In fact as people age their short term memory is usually what suffers.

My grandma was always forgetful when we were taking care of her, but ask her about a story from her childhood and she could remember every little detail. She could tell you about living through the second world war and the great depression. She could tell you what her first job was or how she met my grandpa. Yet she couldn't always tell you what she did this morning. So it is not out of the ordinary to have short term memory loss as people age.

Now as for the story itself I am not going to claim it as 100% fact nor am I going to rule it out. Though as always you notice people follow party lines on this forum. I am just amazed. They credit/discount a story and find some excuse to write it off if it doesn't suite their agenda.

OrangeHoof
08-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Rick Reilly is a tool.

Reilly is close to Elway and Elway is close to Shanahan. I don't think Reilly is a hack but I don't think he's unbiased either. Bowlen/McDaniels broke up the "old gang" and there's going to be some lingering resentment no matter how well McDaniels performs.

One of the things that's usually true is you can't upstage the legend. Griese couldn't be the "next Elway" and now McDaniels is having to fight the expectations as the "next Shanahan". Some folks will lie in wait to jump on any mistake, no matter how deserved/undeserved it is.

Whether you are pro or anti-Shanahan, pro or anti-Cutler or pro or anti-McDaniels, that's just how it is going to be for a few years so you'll never convince everyone. Hell, some people haven't even gotten over Jake Plummer yet!

Thnikkaman
08-29-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not drinkin' Kool-Aid. I'm drinkin' Scotch.

OrangeHoof
08-29-2009, 03:17 PM
They're also noticing that more and more of the final decisions have come down to Chief Operating Officer Joe Ellis, a cousin of George W. Bush, who is not a football guy and definitely not a Cutler fan. If you recall, Ellis alone made the trip out to Boston to have a second conversation with the Broncos' highly suspect new 33-year-old head coach, Josh McDaniels.

As if being a cousin of George W. Bush automatically disqualifies you for executive competency. And why is McDaniels "highly suspect" other than to the "old gang" that got booted? I'm no McD fan but it's fairly easy to see the bias here:

"McD=Ellis=Bush=incompetence"

What's highly suspect is Reilly's objectivity.

Northman
08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry, but not believing it for a moment. If Cutler called, Bowlen would have told everyone in the front office within a moments notice. We know Cutler's attitude and it fits right in. I dont think Bowlen wanted to see Cutler go and tried to work it out. When Cutler got his orders from Bus Cook, he followed them and got his so called wish of a trade. Ive heard directly from Bowlen that he didnt make the return calls and I am suspect of the 3 unidentified sources. I just wish all records from Cutler to Bowlen and Bowlen to Cutler would be published to put this to rest. Someone is full of crap and now we might have added 3 to that list.

Well, but why believe an owner who has a great history with the organization when you can take the word of a snot nosed kid who cant get over a incident with Rivers 2 years ago? :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2009, 04:04 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4034863

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen released a statement Tuesday saying both he and coach Josh McDaniels had been unable to get quarterback Jay Cutler to call them back over the past 10 days.

Cutler and his agent have a different spin on the story, NFL senior analyst Chris Mortensen reports. Asked by text message whether Bowlen has directly tried to contact him, Cutler replied, "No.""The perception that they've been burning the phone lines the last 10 days is wrong," Cook said. "In fact, the other day I asked Jay if he had heard from them and he said, 'no.' I didn't hear from them until yesterday [Tuesday] morning when [GM] Brian Xanders called me and said that Mr. Bowlen needs to speak with Jay now. I told him all I can do is leave Jay a message.

"I didn't reach Jay directly -- I don't know what he was doing -- but I left a message. Then Brian called at the end of the day and asked me if I had heard from him. I hadn't. I heard from Jay when he called to tell me he just saw on TV he was being traded. They can spin it the way they want to spin it."

A Broncos official scoffed at the notion that Bowlen didn't reach out directly to Cutler, suggesting that any owner would set up a call through a GM or a personal assistant.

"I was surprised they decided to trade me this soon," Cutler told FoxSports.com. "I didn't want to get traded. This wasn't me. They [the Broncos] had been going back and forth saying things, wanting me to be their quarterback and then they didn't.

"I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

ABOVE WAS PUBLISHED ON APRIL 2ND

AND THIS ON MARCH 15TH

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11919325

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has formally asked to be traded, a request he made Sunday through his agent, Bus Cook.

For now, the Broncos are hoping to appease Cutler's concerns and reach an understanding so they do not have to trade him, coach Josh McDaniels told The Denver Post on Sunday night.

Cutler and Cook issued the trade request a day after a meeting with McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders did not go the way quarterback had hoped.

SO, ON MARCH 15TH, CUTLER REQUESTS A TRADE, BUT ON APRIL 2ND, HE STATES HE DID NOT WANT TO BE TRADED??????????????????

GUESS WHAT JAY - EITHER YOU OR YOUR AGENT FAILED TO MAKE THAT ONE IMPORTANT CALL TO TELL THE BRONCOS YOU WERE JUST KIDDING ABOUT WANTING A TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LoyalSoldier
08-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a higher probability of finding an electron than I do of finding the truth in that mess several months ago.

pnbronco
08-29-2009, 04:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4034863

Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen released a statement Tuesday saying both he and coach Josh McDaniels had been unable to get quarterback Jay Cutler to call them back over the past 10 days.

Cutler and his agent have a different spin on the story, NFL senior analyst Chris Mortensen reports. Asked by text message whether Bowlen has directly tried to contact him, Cutler replied, "No.""The perception that they've been burning the phone lines the last 10 days is wrong," Cook said. "In fact, the other day I asked Jay if he had heard from them and he said, 'no.' I didn't hear from them until yesterday [Tuesday] morning when [GM] Brian Xanders called me and said that Mr. Bowlen needs to speak with Jay now. I told him all I can do is leave Jay a message.

"I didn't reach Jay directly -- I don't know what he was doing -- but I left a message. Then Brian called at the end of the day and asked me if I had heard from him. I hadn't. I heard from Jay when he called to tell me he just saw on TV he was being traded. They can spin it the way they want to spin it."

A Broncos official scoffed at the notion that Bowlen didn't reach out directly to Cutler, suggesting that any owner would set up a call through a GM or a personal assistant.

"I was surprised they decided to trade me this soon," Cutler told FoxSports.com. "I didn't want to get traded. This wasn't me. They [the Broncos] had been going back and forth saying things, wanting me to be their quarterback and then they didn't.

"I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

ABOVE WAS PUBLISHED ON APRIL 2ND

AND THIS ON MARCH 15TH

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11919325

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has formally asked to be traded, a request he made Sunday through his agent, Bus Cook.

For now, the Broncos are hoping to appease Cutler's concerns and reach an understanding so they do not have to trade him, coach Josh McDaniels told The Denver Post on Sunday night.

Cutler and Cook issued the trade request a day after a meeting with McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders did not go the way quarterback had hoped.

SO, ON MARCH 15TH, CUTLER REQUESTS A TRADE, BUT ON APRIL 2ND, HE STATES HE DID NOT WANT TO BE TRADED??????????????????

GUESS WHAT JAY - EITHER YOU OR YOUR AGENT FAILED TO MAKE THAT ONE IMPORTANT CALL TO TELL THE BRONCOS YOU WERE JUST KIDDING ABOUT WANTING A TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not mess with the research queen, I'm telling you Bowlen is not the only one that has records......:D

nevcraw
08-29-2009, 04:30 PM
I will reserve judgement on that until I actually see this team play in a real...GAME.. let alone a season or 2:confused:

joe ellis is not the coach or player so he does not get that luxury>> he is a business man and so far his legacy on the broncos org. is more than bit shaky..
As far a MCD goes I will reserve final judgement for the what happens on the field. I hope for our sakes as fans he wins..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2009, 04:31 PM
joe ellis is not the coach or player so he does not get that luxury>> he is a business man and so far his legacy on the broncos org. is more than bit shaky..
As far a MCD goes I will reserve final judgement for the what happens on the field. I hope for our sakes as fans he wins..

Guess I have missed the articles on exactly what negative transactions Ellis has been solely responsible for.

broken12
08-29-2009, 05:28 PM
avater says The ability to somehow incorporate your ingenuous offensive system at your next job at quiznos next year

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Reilly is close to Elway and Elway is close to Shanahan. I don't think Reilly is a hack but I don't think he's unbiased either. Bowlen/McDaniels broke up the "old gang" and there's going to be some lingering resentment no matter how well McDaniels performs.

I have NO dog in this fight and honestly don't care....but I'm confused with this. How is Reilly being close to Elway somehow make this something against bowlen because Elway is close to Shanahan???? :confused: Isn't elway just as close to Bowlen? I still think Shanahan is close to Bowlen. I don't see how this really connects anything, to be honest.

NightTrainLayne
08-29-2009, 07:32 PM
So. .. based on the article that Carol posted, Cutler's answer at the time was that he didn't even GET the call from Bowlen, and his agent could "only leave a message" for Cutler.

Now how in the heck did Cutler return the call twice as Reilly's 5-month late unidentified sources claim, if he also claims himself that Bowlen didn't even call.

Reilly's sources are just wrong.

claymore
08-29-2009, 07:37 PM
So. .. based on the article that Carol posted, Cutler's answer at the time was that he didn't even GET the call from Bowlen, and his agent could "only leave a message" for Cutler.

Now how in the heck did Cutler return the call twice as Reilly's 5-month late unidentified sources claim, if he also claims himself that Bowlen didn't even call.

We wont know the truth for 10-15 years. Fact is it was a universal screw up from the top down.

The only person involved in the mistake that will pay is Bowlen. I doubt Moreno, and Royal jersey are flying off the shelf. Which jersey will be relevant in 2 years?

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2009, 08:01 PM

Like I said back in the second post of this thread...

Unnamed sources....

Credible.:rolleyes:

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Unnamed sources....

and again.. MANY MANY MANY informative stories.. TRUE stories.. have come from "unnamed sources".. thats where the whole " I won't name my sources" declaration came from in the media bus. Most sources are "unnamed." :coffee:

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Nature Boy

Your are a youngster and your credibility as a Bronco fan is shot. Your better off taking your Nature Boy act to the Bears board because you are obviously a person who is a fan of a player over an entire franchise.

You can be mad at the trade and some of the moves the front office has made, but to say you would rather a former Bronco ( who oh by the way asked to be traded ) get over on the team your supposed to be rooting for is disgraceful.

Its pretty sick to say you will be rooting against the Broncos for spite....chicagobears.com is waiting for you.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2009, 08:08 PM
and again.. MANY MANY MANY informative stories.. TRUE stories.. have come from "unnamed sources".. thats where the whole " I won't name my sources" declaration came from in the media bus. Most sources are "unnamed." :coffee:

Well then I will believe a NAMED source by the NAME of CUTLER when he said he never received a call from Mr. Bowlen. How in the heck can he ever "return" a phone call if he NEVER received a phone call.....?!?!:confused:

credible
:rolleyes:

:confused:

OrangeHoof
08-29-2009, 08:08 PM
I still think Shanahan is close to Bowlen.

Based on???

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Based on???

Based on the fact that after shanahan was fired, he still referred to him as a good friend. A friend he's had for nearly 20 years. Why would you assume they aren't? Not only that, how does that still apply to your line of conclusion?

There's no reason to think they aren't close... or friends. Even if they haven't talked in a while. I still have close friends I haven't talked to in quite a while. Friends I've had since HS that are still close friends. So yeah.. I feel confident in saying that Shanahan and Bowlen are probably still close.

LoyalSoldier
08-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Unnamed sources....

Well to be honest though. If you said that your boss lost a probowl QB because he is old and senile how long would you keep your job?

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Well then I will believe a NAMED source by the NAME of CUTLER when he said he never received a call from Mr. Bowlen. How in the heck can he ever "return" a phone call if he NEVER received a phone call.....?!?!:confused:

credible
:rolleyes:

:confused:

No... You said the source couldn't be credible because it was unnamed. That different than saying the source, that you know, isn't credible. Thats different than saying that because of other (or further) evidence, the source that Reilly has doesn't seem to have credible information. Both are completely different than your suggesting that the source isn't credible because its unnamed.

I wasn't arguing that any of the information was correct.

Ravage!!!
08-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Well to be honest though. If you said that your boss lost a probowl QB because he is old and senile how long would you keep your job?

Strange how some sources want to remain unnamed, huh?

nevcraw
08-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Guess I have missed the articles on exactly what negative transactions Ellis has been solely responsible for.

I'm sorry - you need an article.. pick one.. who's in charge now? with Bowlen's dimentia(:eek:) - this guy has been the pulling all the strings.. Notice anything different in Broncoland latlely? I do.. It's reeks like Cincinnati..

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm sorry - you need an article.. pick one.. who's in charge now? with Bowlen's dimentia(:eek:) - this guy has been the pulling all the strings.. Notice anything different in Broncoland latlely? I do.. It's reeks like Cincinnati..

Bottom line - it is whatever or whoever anyone chooses to believe.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Great interview with Joe Ellis and the Sports Guys - by the way, Joe is going into his 24TH YEAR WITH THE BRONCOS. Talks about how the selection for McD went.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1122225

nevcraw
08-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Great interview with Joe Ellis and the Sports Guys - by the way, Joe is going into his 24TH YEAR WITH THE BRONCOS. Talks about how the selection for McD went.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?id=1122225

your point is?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2009, 10:32 PM
your point is?

Well, thanks for asking - I thought it was a GREAT interview, with many interesting points in it.

GEM
08-29-2009, 10:58 PM
your point is?

I think it went along with Northman's post earlier that said we are talking about an owner and Ellis who have 24 and 25 years with the Broncos. It's not like they just stepped in and ruined everything. They built most everything about this team that we have become fans of. It's funny how quick our opinions of someone goes down when things don't go the way we think they should.

Broncos Mtnman
08-29-2009, 11:29 PM

FOX 31 in an interview with his agent.

Broncos Mtnman
08-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Not to mention the fact that the Broncos were willing to release phone records when Jay denied everything.

And yet, they never did.

Hmmmmmmmmm..... :coffee:

Superchop 7
08-29-2009, 11:34 PM
JOE ELLIS IS THE BIGGEST SCUMBAG EVER.

OMG.

Since he came to power....disaster.

I was watching the traverse stakes today. (Horse Racing)

They said.

" This would be like Josh McDaniels winning the superbowl"

Here's a good idea.

WAKE UP.

jhildebrand
08-30-2009, 01:17 AM

2 of the three would be:

Cutler
Bus Cook :lol:

If I had to guess on the third unnamed source:
Jay's daddy who is all up in his biz!

jhildebrand
08-30-2009, 01:19 AM

Fox 31 (as mentioned). They have sought a trade but nobody has offered the Broncos anything near their asking price just like the Bengals didn't get with 85 and the Cards with Boldin. 3 troublemakers nonetheless hmmmmmmmm

Watchthemiddle
08-30-2009, 01:21 AM
I think it went along with Northman's post earlier that said we are talking about an owner and Ellis who have 24 and 25 years with the Broncos. It's not like they just stepped in and ruined everything. They built most everything about this team that we have become fans of. It's funny how quick our opinions of someone goes down when things don't go the way we think they should.

Correct.

Bowlen has been respected around ALL professional sports at one of the best professional owners out there. Now all of a sudden he has lost his mind? :confused:

-Anyway-

Shazam!
08-30-2009, 01:32 AM
All this shit is getting sickening.

pnbronco
08-30-2009, 01:52 AM
All this shit is getting sickening.

Amen!!! Also super old. I have started to post in several threads and have backed off, it feel like what's the point. I thought smack was for fans of other teams, not each other.

nevcraw
08-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Correct.

Bowlen has been respected around ALL professional sports at one of the best professional owners out there. Now all of a sudden he has lost his mind? :confused:

-Anyway-

Yes he has.. and the team was cosidered one of ther best franchises in sports and a top destination for FA's. what about today? Not so much..
If you don't think the there is some serious tarnish on this franchise right now you are blind..
But hey - if the Patriots can bounce back back from spygate and Atlanta from Vick / Petrino then so can Denver from this... Here's hoping that it comes quicly..

nevcraw
08-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Fox 31 (as mentioned). They have sought a trade but nobody has offered the Broncos anything near their asking price just like the Bengals didn't get with 85 and the Cards with Boldin. 3 troublemakers nonetheless hmmmmmmmm

I would hardly call 85 or Boldin troublemakers.. Contract discontent does not mean trouble maker..

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I was drinking the Jay Cutler kool aid the last 3 years.

Oops.

Thanks for the 0 playoff appearances "star".

GEM
08-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes he has.. and the team was cosidered one of ther best franchises in sports and a top destination for FA's. what about today? Not so much..
If you don't think the there is some serious tarnish on this franchise right now you are blind..
But hey - if the Patriots can bounce back back from spygate and Atlanta from Vick / Petrino then so can Denver from this... Here's hoping that it comes quicly..

You think we were considered elite the last 3 years when we were getting blown out by SD 3 seasons in a friggen row minus the one time that a ref helped us out? Don't act like we have been in the promise land up until the day Shanny got canned and McDaniels stepped in.

It's a ridiculous notion.

If you believe we have...YOU are blind.

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 11:17 AM

If you don't think there's some serious tarnish from 1 playoff win, 4 playoff blowout losses, 1 division title(least in the AFC), all in the last 10 years, then you are blind.

jhildebrand
08-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I would hardly call 85 or Boldin troublemakers.. Contract discontent does not mean trouble maker..

You wouldn't call Boldin a trouble make? :confused: Are you serious? :confused:

Chad was a pretty destructive malcontent last year, too!

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 11:30 AM

I wouldn't call them trouble makers. It's not like they've been in and out of police records in the last couple years like Brandon Marshall has.

Not only is Marshall an incredibly idiotic decision maker with women, he gets a little physcial with them, and he has no ill regard for other people's lives, by driving drunk.

Tned
08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Didn't feel like starting another thread, but here is a quote form a DP article today.

"I'm really optimistic about — not so much we're going to win 12 games or anything like that — but optimistic that we're going to be a good football team," Bowlen said. "I like what I see. I'm really happy with my staff and the coaches. I've got to know most of them pretty well. I've watched how they interact — it's a good buzz going around this upstairs floor."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13231990?source=rss

Mike
08-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Didn't feel like starting another thread, but here is a quote form a DP article today.

And that is about what I expect. I would like to see wins...but I expect losses. And am fine with that, as long as I see improvement, growth, and solid football fundamentals as the season progresses.

Ravage!!!
08-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Correct.

-Anyway-

with all do respect... isn't that was "losing your mind" usually entails? Coming out of nowhere (despite your personal history) and losing what you once had???

Ravage!!!
08-30-2009, 01:36 PM

I wouldn't call Boldin a trouble maker in the least. In fact, quite the opposite.

Ravage!!!
08-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Oops.

Yeah.. its a good thing the team jumped off THAT rising star before he really found his foothold in the NFL!

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah.. its a good thing the team jumped off THAT rising star before he really found his foothold in the NFL!

Please. Lets not sit here and pretend this guy is in a league with Manning and Brady. Those are really the only untouchables the NFL has to offer in this day and age.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2009, 02:10 PM

Let's see - the "rising star" lost his head coach, and stated the following in a telephone interview on December 30th:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/30/broncos-cutler-shanahan-firing/

And count a surprised, angered quarterback in Jay Cutler among them.

"I'm disappointed, I'm shocked, I'm not happy about it, I'm not pleased with it at all," Cutler said by phone Tuesday. "We had zero inkling this was going to happen. I didn't have a clue."

AND, the "rising star" also stated the following in same interview:

Cutler was particularly interested to hear what the fate of current quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates would be. Bates just finished his first year as the team's play-caller on game day.

Then Cutler demands a trade in March, and does not call Bowlen back. So, the Broncos had two choices - keep Cutler, and take the chance that he does not show up for training camp to learn an entirely new offensive scheme, or trade him - which of course, out of the two options, was the only one which made any sense.

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 02:13 PM
"I'm disappointed, I'm shocked, I'm not happy about it, I'm not pleased with it at all," Cutler said by phone Tuesday. "We had zero inkling this was going to happen. I didn't have a clue."

Sounds to me that he was more concerned about "slinging" the ball around then actually winning.

Even the fanbase could see that Shanahan didn't give 2 ----'s about special teams or defense, and know you don't win without those in this day and age.

Tempus Fugit
08-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Let's see - the "rising star" lost his head coach, and stated the following in a telephone interview on December 30th:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/30/broncos-cutler-shanahan-firing/

And count a surprised, angered quarterback in Jay Cutler among them.

AND, the "rising star" also stated the following in same interview:

Cutler was particularly interested to hear what the fate of current quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates would be. Bates just finished his first year as the team's play-caller on game day.

Then Cutler demands a trade in March, and does not call Bowlen back. So, the Broncos had two choices - keep Cutler, and take the chance that he does not show up for training camp to learn an entirely new offensive scheme, or trade him - which of course, out of the two options, was the only one which made any sense.

I've tried to get this across to the "McDaniels is the Devil" crew, but they just can't accept that Cutler was pissy before McDaniels even arrived on scene. It undercuts their arguments too much, and shows how irrational they've been, and that's unacceptable to them.

It's much more important for them to have a scapegoat that's not their rocket-armed golden boy than it is to get the story right.

OrangeHoof
08-30-2009, 02:37 PM

Oops.

I know. Cutler was terrible on defense. :tsk:

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I know. Cutler was terrible on defense. :tsk:

You mean he's a QB that needs a good defense to succeed? Thanks for acknowledging that he isn't so "special" and can be lumped in with 15-20 other starting QB's in the NFL.

Northman
08-30-2009, 02:42 PM
You mean he's a QB that needs a good defense to succeed? Thanks for acknowledging that he isn't so "special" and can be lumped in with 15-20 other starting QB's in the NFL.

The beauty of their arguement is that Jay carried the team last year but in the final 3 games it was all the defense. :lol::lol::lol:

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2009, 02:48 PM
The beauty of their arguement is that Jay carried the team last year but in the final 3 games it was all the defense. :lol::lol::lol:

You mean the 3 biggest games of the season?

That's not a coincidence. Jay Cutler is 0-6 in playoff deciding games, with a TD/INT ratio of 4/7, and a paltry QB rating hovering in the low to mid 70's.

Apparently the defense plays offense too, regardless of the numerous int's for TD's Cutler has thrown, and intercetpions's on Denver's side of the field that has led directly to FG's.

Maybe Jay Cutler does contribute to the defensive woes after all.

"Boom goes the dynamite."

nevcraw
08-30-2009, 06:20 PM
You think we were considered elite the last 3 years when we were getting blown out by SD 3 seasons in a friggen row minus the one time that a ref helped us out? Don't act like we have been in the promise land up until the day Shanny got canned and McDaniels stepped in.

It's a ridiculous notion.

If you believe we have...YOU are blind.

Huh? How did you spin this in shanny vs. McD. Nice try..

Because the team had some down seasons did not make it a tarnished franchise. That is part of ther ebb and flow of the NFL.
Nor did firing Shanny.. Since that day - the franchise has had a black eye from some very publicised player issues and some very curious FO moves which makes the Top 2 dogs in the company reponsible for the current situation..

nevcraw
08-30-2009, 06:22 PM
If you don't think there's some serious tarnish from 1 playoff win, 4 playoff blowout losses, 1 division title(least in the AFC), all in the last 10 years, then you are blind.

see above post. Piss poor Team managment has done the bulk of the damage.

LoyalSoldier
08-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Every QB can only do so much and at some point they need the rest of the team to help out. Both Brady and Manning have had help when they needed it to win a superbowl.

Brady has had some poor games in the playoffs, but he was bailed out by the defense and the running game. Any remember who was the star of the NE vs Indy game in 2004? It wasn't Brady.

Anyone remember how bad Manning was playing on his the way to his only superbowl win? He was miserable for most of the playoffs, but the defense finally stepped up long enough to bail him out.

The better each position is then the less the other parts of the team have to carry the load. Cutler was one of the main reasons we were even in the playoff hunt, but at the same time the games we won we actually had some help from the defense. In the Atlanta and NYJ games we had turnovers for once!

Football is a team sport all the way and requires having multiple good players.

LRtagger
08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
So much for those sources...The guys in the booth at the game tonight said they spoke to Cutler directly and he said he never called Bowlen back, but that it was unintentional.

Straight from the horses mouth.

Northman
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
So much for those sources...The guys in the booth at the game tonight said they spoke to Cutler directly and he said he never called Bowlen back, but that it was unintentional.

Straight from the horses mouth.

Ooops.

Gimpygod
08-31-2009, 11:20 AM
We lost a very talented qb in Cutler. Lets keep the facts straight though, he wanted out of here....and made it very clear! Yes he just couldnt believe it came to this... he tried so hard to contact Broncos brass.... give me a break. He looked so sad in the press conference in Chicago.

I loved the Cutler draft pick. I do think his record here was hurt badly by a horrible defense. I liked watching him and this young offense last year, even giving him a pass on all the pouting.... and thought they had a great chance to grow together and become great.

That all changed though when Cutler left and all but turned his nose up at the Broncos. I will be cheering for my Broncos Sunday!! I do not like Cutler now at all.... He is not a Bronco and never will be again. Hopefully all those high draft picks we got for him make an impact on this team for years to come!!

I'm going to point out every time someone seems to expect loyalty from a player that is not reciprocated by the team. Initially McDaniels said he didn't try to get Cassel and yet somehow said he was late to the dance:confused:. And then he would never say, "I'm not going to try to trade you." So, zero loyalty from the team toward the player and yet the player is called a crybaby turncoat. bleh

Gimpygod
08-31-2009, 11:39 AM

I'm going to say that Mr. Magoo would be a horrible knife thrower, based solely on watching him walk into crap, off of crap, all of his past doings. Do I really need to watch him turn some cute girl in a unitard into a pin cushion before I can say,, "Mr. Magoo is not a good knife thrower?" No,and the same is true of McDaniels. He Has walkeed into every pothole possible and made a franchise quarterback trade which has never been done before... I can comfortably say he is an epic fail as head coach of the Broncos. However, I will say he could do much better in his second shot at the job 3 or four years from now as head coach of the jets or something as long as he learns from his mistakes. Shanahan was a total douche as the coach of the Raiders, making up silly little rules and being very controlling bbut did nicely his second time around because he learned.

nevcraw
08-31-2009, 11:41 AM
BTW Folks - With the positive first year turn arounds in Miami, ATL, and Baltimore, we should not be expected to be patient allow a grace period for new regime. NFW!
If they do not do better than 8-8 this year will be a complete failure.

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 12:10 PM
BTW Folks - With the positive first year turn arounds in Miami, ATL, and Baltimore, we should not be expected to be patient allow a grace period for new regime. NFW!

Be sure to brinf this up again when Atlanta and Miami are no better than 8-8 this year

roomemp
08-31-2009, 12:13 PM

Why? Why is 8-8 the magical cutoff?

Gimpygod
08-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Please. Lets not sit here and pretend this guy is in a league with Manning and Brady. Those are really the only untouchables the NFL has to offer in this day and age.

You are unfathomable to me.... everyone from Rodney Harrison to everyone on NFL networ believes Cutler to be a great player and Josh McDaniels will be ultimately and infamously known for getting rid of Cutler.

CoachChaz
08-31-2009, 12:19 PM
You are unfathomable to me.... everyone from Rodney Harrison to everyone on NFL networ believes Cutler to be a great player and Josh McDaniels will be ultimately and infamously known for getting rid of Cutler.

The same folks that indoubtedly assumed doom for NE when Bledsoe got hurt and STL when Green got hurt.

Gimpygod
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
The same folks that indoubtedly assumed doom for NE when Bledsoe got hurt and STL when Green got hurt.

I find it awesome that you are able to guess what people were thinking about seven to eight years ago... you are awesome. I'm telling you what they actually say and you're guessing At what they may have possibly erroneously believed years previously. At least you are not going out on a limb there.

powderaddict
08-31-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't doubt Reilly one bit. He is not someone I would ever think would make something up just for a story. He does editorial pieces, so I don't doubt he presents his info in a way that promotes the angle of the stroy he's taking, but he's not some no name hack that has had doubts casted at his character.

That said, I seriously doubt his "source". As other's have pointed out, that doesn't jive with what either side stated. I don't doubt Reilly, but I do doubt his source.

I find it utterly disgusting that so called fans openly state they hope the Broncos fail just because they don't like the head coach. I don't often question anyone's "fanhood", but if you put your opinions over the team, then you are not a fan of the team. Period.

nevcraw
08-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Be sure to brinf this up again when Atlanta and Miami are no better than 8-8 this year

How would that matter? what does that have to do with the fact a precedent has been set with the those 3 teams turning bad teams into good teams in one offseason..
Your lack of confidence in the Broncos doing the same thing is painfully obvious. otherwise you wouldn't have tried to deflect the subject to another.