PDA

View Full Version : The Task at Hand

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9279

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On Friday, the Broncos suspended Brandon Marshall for conduct detrimental to the club.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels said a warning was given to Marshall before practice on Wednesday, letting him know that his behavior was not acceptable.

"His actions didn't really change after that warning," McDaniels said. "So that leads us to today, where we went ahead and followed up the warning with a suspension."

Marshall's suspension lasts until September 5, and the head coach said the team looks "forward to having him back here on September 6 as we begin our preparations toward Cincinnati."

McDaniels said before practice that "everybody agrees that this is the right thing to do for the organization." That seemed to be one of the sentiments from players after practice, but another is that they hope it can be the right thing for Marshall as well.

"Hopefully these two weeks will make him reflect on what's important and what he needs to do, and he'll come out here and have a different attitude and help us win games," Brandon Stokley said. "That's what it's all about. Everybody would be happy then."

And Marshall certainly is an asset to the offense when he's on the field. He has amassed 206 receptions and 2,590 receiving yards over the past two seasons, good for second and third in the NFL, respectively.

"Obviously he's a talented football player that we'd love to have pulling in the same direction as the other 79 guys that go out there and work their tail off every single day to try to improve and get ready for a National Football League season," McDaniels said. "That was ultimately the reason why we've done this, and hopefully that will make a change."

After practice, player after player was asked if the news of the suspension -- and everything surrounding it -- was a distraction.

The answer? An unequivocal 'No.'

"This is a new system, a new scheme and a lot of new people trying to jell together," Brian Dawkins said. "We have enough things to think about on this practice field -- getting better, preparing for a winning season -- than to let anything else derail us from that."

Daniel Graham, a team captain, agreed. He said he felt the suspension was a fair punishment, but the team has other things on its mind at the moment.

"It's unfortunate that it had to come to this," Graham said. "Hopefully everything will get squared away, but right now I'm not worried about that -- I'm focused on what we have to do on Sunday to get a win."

'JACKED UP FOR THIS ONE'

The team is excited to finally play in INVESCO Field at Mile High for the first time in 2009, experience the home field advantage and "put on a good show" for the fans, Kyle Orton said.

But the excitement level coming from a certain veteran defensive back might take the cake.

Anyone who has seen Dawkins on a game day knows the intensity he brings -- even during pregame stretching. So when the safety struts out to his home field for the first time in orange and blue -- expect some serious adrenaline to be flowing.

"You guys haven't really gotten a chance to see me on game day," Dawkins said, "and I know I'm going to be jacked up for this one."

Dawkins, still sporting a wrap on his hand, said he feels physically ready to play on Sunday and make an impact for the defense.

"I'm going to do everything that I need to do," he said. "As far as intercepting the ball, hopefully if I'm in that position I'll be able to basket-catch it or something like that. (The wrap) won't limit me too much."

He said getting a preseason game or two under his belt is good to help the secondary jell. It's an important time to build communication, master game tempo and make some plays as a unit.

"The things that we do in practice prepare us for those things, and some of the things that Josh (McDaniels) does with some of the noise that we use in practice helps us tremendously also," he said.

"It's going to be exciting," he continued. "I know I'm excited. I know I'm going to be juiced up."

claymore
08-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Dawkins needs to show it on Sunday. I dont give a crap what he did in Philly. He is gettin a ton of money, more than any other team in the league thought he was worth.

Show it.

jrelway
08-28-2009, 11:59 PM
yes sir. make an impact dawkins. dont be on the sidelines all year as a cheerleader.

Tempus Fugit
08-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Dawkins needs to show it on Sunday. I dont give a crap what he did in Philly. He is gettin a ton of money, more than any other team in the league thought he was worth.

Show it.

Exhibition game 3

Nothing more