PDA

View Full Version : Our Greatest Latest Picks

Denver Native (Carol)
04-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Draft mania continues in the NFL among the millions of fans, with countless stories being produced by local and national press.

I thought we might take a slightly different perspective on the draft today.

Most of the attention centers, rightly so, on the first, second and third rounds of the NFL draft, since that is where the best known players are most often selected.

But I was thinking, who are the greatest late round draft choices in Broncos history?

Following is my perspective on this topic. Thanks again for reading.

Let’s take a look at some of these late selections chronologically.

rest - http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/our-greatest-latest-picks/

MOtorboat
04-03-2013, 07:05 PM
1983—In the 12th round of the draft—and by this time it was a 12-round draft, so this was our final pick with selection number 310—the Broncos chose Karl Mecklenburg, a relatively obscure defensive end from the University of Minnesota. I vividly remember so many Meck stories, but one of my first memories indicates how unknown he was. We flew all 12 draftees in to meet the press, set them up in our team auditorium and let the press wander from player to player. After we were about two thirds finished, I noticed that not one single person had spoken to this young guy. I approached our local Associates Press writer, whom I knew to be a good guy, and asked him to do me a favor and approach Meck and just pretend to ask him a few questions and take some notes, just so the young player’s feelings would not be hurt. In the years to follow, Meck hurt a lot of feelings on the opposition on his way to the Broncos’ Ring of Fame. He has reached the final 25 list for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and is a legit candidate.

I want more! I want to know who the AP writer was, what he asked him, and if he ever used it, or regretted not using the interview if he didn't. That's an awesome tidbit.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-03-2013, 07:25 PM
I want more! I want to know who the AP writer was, what he asked him, and if he ever used it, or regretted not using the interview if he didn't. That's an awesome tidbit.

I could not find anything on google to answer this, but did find this on Meck, which is very interesting:

The Quaz Q&A: Karl Mecklenburg
http://www.jeffpearlman.com/the-quaz-qa-karl-mecklenburg/

From article:

The phone finally rang at about 12:30. Instead of a head coach it was the Broncos’ secretary, Jenny Anne. She told me they had picked me and gave me the details on how to get my airline ticket for a Denver press conference the next day.

TXBRONC
04-04-2013, 07:20 AM
I loved the little story about Lyle Alzado the other day. The defensive line coach's car breaks down in little town with a small college and what does he do? He goes and looks at game film noticed this half-crazied defensive end from Yankton College.

pnbronco
04-04-2013, 09:38 AM

I sent Karl a e-mail and asked him if he remembered it. This is his reply:

I think the writer who took pitty on me was Jim Armstrong although Joe Sanchez also did an early article on me. The questions were general about my background, premed, college football, and expectations with the Broncos.

Have no idea if the info was ever used but at least it's something.

GEM
04-04-2013, 09:44 AM

I think the writer who took pitty on me was Jim Armstrong although Joe Sanchez also did an early article on me. The questions were general about my background, premed, college football, and expectations with the Broncos.

Love me some Meck :D

Davii
04-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Pretty badass to have Meck's email address....

Ravage!!!
04-04-2013, 10:02 AM

Damn... if you want to get the story right from the source, pn gits 'er dun!! :beer:

MOtorboat
04-04-2013, 10:16 AM

Freakin' awesome.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Karl was a baller. I could be wrong, but it seems as though he had the strongest bench press on the team for a while. I can remember him lining up in the Nose on passing downs on occasion.

Jsteve01
04-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Karl was a baller. I could be wrong, but it seems as though he had the strongest bench press on the team for a while. I can remember him lining up in the Nose on passing downs on occasion. probably the most versatile player to ever lace em up for the Broncos